Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='camoor']Was it really that bad?

I thought it was fine.[/QUOTE]

it could have been wore but it easily could have been better.

[quote name='camoor']Was it really that bad?

I thought it was fine.[/QUOTE]

My beef with it was that the first half was great, but didn't feel like a Marvel movie for the last half. They could have swapped Captain America for some random schmuck and I wouldn't have noticed. I think I would rather the guy who played Dum Dum Dugan was cast as Captain America. It took all the way until the end scene to get it back on track.

It was just a sloppy movie overall. Almost as corny as Hellboy, but Hellboy was supposed to be corny.

I only saw it for Atwell.

[quote name='tcrash247']I don't know why, but I actually did like the first one, if you can believe that.[/QUOTE]

I only saw it because of Eva Mendez

I didn't care for Captain America at all either. I didn't loathe it, but definitely thought it was the worst of the recent Marvel movies.

But I've just always thought CA was a lame as character.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']It was just a sloppy movie overall. Almost as corny as Hellboy, but Hellboy was supposed to be corny.[/QUOTE]

That's true. I wanted to see what happens when you put a supersoldier on the field.

I take the movie for what is is, but I think Marvel was fellating itself a little too much. Too much young Stark Sr. Too much Red Skull. Too much Hydra. Too much superweapon mumbojumbo. Too much song and dance.

If I was doing the movie it would have been more WWII. It would have been Cap vs Hitler. Cap is the one guy in fiction that can get away with giving Hitler a bust to the chops, who doesn't want to see that?

[quote name='lokizz']they should revamp that shit and replace cage asap hes too old to pull off that role and hes too stiff to do it any justice. that guy from supernatural ( dean ) would make a good ghost rider as would jeremy renner.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, an interesting side note, Jensen Ackles (Dean) was "internet rumored" to be Captain America before Johnny Storm got the role.

Rewatched Kill Bill Vol. 1 after some years. It's all pretty awesome, but I feel the one-woman army sword fighting segment hurt it a lot. Those types of scenes just make me very sleepy, and this one was quite long.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Rewatched Kill Bill Vol. 1 after some years. It's all pretty awesome, but I feel the one-woman army sword fighting segment hurt it a lot. Those types of scenes just make me very sleepy, and this one was quite long.[/QUOTE]

yeah kb1 is still awesome but kb2 is such a letdown across the board especially the ending i couldnt stop laughing at that lame ending. i read somewhere a while back they were doing more which could be cool if the kids are the focus.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Agreed, an interesting side note, Jensen Ackles (Dean) was "internet rumored" to be Captain America before Johnny Storm got the role.[/QUOTE]

yeah hed have been a good cap hes got more personality then the guy doing it now. theres still plenty of good marvel roles hed fit well in.

I actually probably like KB2 more than the first--though they're really just one long movie. I'm not a big action movie/martial arts movie fan, so I liked that part 2 was more drama/character driven.

[quote name='tcrash247']Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance - Absolutely horrible, worst super hero movie ever. Wolverine and Blade Trinity are masterpieces compared to this sack of shit.[/QUOTE]

this literally had me laughing out loud for 2 minutes.

Saw a few documentaries I had been meaning to check out.

Get Lamp - Even though I grew up some with the genre, I wasn't sure how the film could be entertaining for 90 minutes, but I was riveted. It really helped that the people interviewed were such enthusiasts that their love of the subject matter shown through.

Best Worst Movie - Entertaining but a little hollow and a little too long. Actually felt depressed at the end but I'm glad I saw it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Saw a few documentaries I had been meaning to check out.

Get Lamp - Even though I grew up some with the genre, I wasn't sure how the film could be entertaining for 90 minutes, but I was riveted. It really helped that the people interviewed were such enthusiasts that their love of the subject matter shown through.

Best Worst Movie - Entertaining but a little hollow and a little too long. Actually felt depressed at the end but I'm glad I saw it.[/QUOTE]

best worst movie makes you cringe like crazy. it starts out cool enough then then just spirals sown into the creepy skin crawly place you just want to get away from lol. not to mention how that guy slowly became an uber douche over time definitely an interesting view into how fame , no matter how big or small, can warp a person.

kb 2 dissapponted me because of how hard kb1 came out. you have all these cool fighting scenes and then you learn her story and the story of the people she was betrayed by. you figure by the end of kb1 holy shit i cant wait to see how crazy the fights will be in kb2 and then you get the movie and aside from her fight with the one eyed chicks its mostly talk and flashbacks.

its like it you buy a game and its this bad ass fighting game and then you learn there going to be a sequel you rush out to get it and when you get it home and boot it up youre treated to a turn based strategy.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Accepted

actually a pretty decent movie.

:)[/QUOTE]
Your'e right, it really wasn't bad. Plus the super hot ginger that was way better looking than Blake Lively.

You know what movie I saw that I REALLY enjoyed?

She's Outta My League.

I was surprised. I mean it's not "amazing" but it was hell of a lot enjoyable. Simple story, sweet, never went too corny at all, they kept all the "raunchy" jokes in there and did them well I think. Muy good.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah kb1 is still awesome but kb2 is such a letdown across the board especially the ending i couldnt stop laughing at that lame ending.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh - exactly which part of the movies did you take seriously?

The World Sinks Except Japan - 2/5 - This movie drags on and on. 10 years after 9/11 USA sinks and so does the rest of the world(excluding japan) due to some plates shifting below the surface. The movie goes and examines the different situations that would arise, USA movie stars living in japan, American refugees, how american currency is worth nothing, how Americans are treated, what is being done by the government for the refugees and how all the world governments work together.It does these things well but it become so boring and uninteresting.

The story really has no arch, just events happen. Meet a ton of people only like one or two people show up more than 3-4 times. Everyone else has a minor roles in the film. There is a few bits of humor, only a few parts are good...rest falls flat. Maybe its because I am not Japanese or into their culture. An example was how enthusiastic this japanese couple was to eat whale now as much as they want because no1 can stop them from whaling. Movie is a lot like this review, drags on and very dry.

Secret World of Arriety: Pretty good.

Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance - Highly entertaining. There were too many scenes without Nic Cage though.

Of all the superhero movies lately I thought Thor was the biggest let down. To me it was the least "entertaining" of the lot. Hell even green lantern had more fun moments than Thor.

I'm excluding ghost rider cause you couldn't pay me to watch that movie.

Just saw contagion and thought it was really good.

Thor was better than I expected since it's a lame character. But I'd definitely put it well behind the Iron Man movies and even the last Hulk movie. But ahead of Captain America for me.

Mainly just because it was well done--Branagh did a good job with the material I thought.

I agree with dmaul. Thor gets a lot of hate. My expectations for the movie were low going in, but I was impressed with what what I saw. Thor's is a difficult character to portray. He's a god larger than life, but I liked the actors for him and Loki. I even liked the little humor it had. The story okay, but considering the source material it's wasn't half bad.

I think the thing with Thor is that the director, Kenneth Branagh, is a Shakespearean guy. He's both acted and directed Shakespeare works. He wasn't the same as the other guys like John Favreau that will just load the movie up with explosions and Black Sabbath to please the studio.

Probably a similar scenario to David Fincher's Alien 3, where he wanted to tell one story and the studio wanted it another way, so you wound up with a jumbled mess and the director had to take the fall for it.

So it got to be where if you were a Singer fan you liked Thor, but if you were a Favreau fan you hated it.

Rising Son: THe Christian Hosoi Doc:
If you're between 26 and 40 you know this name as well as Tony Hawk and you've probably seen or owned at least 3 or 4 Bones Brigade videos on VHS. If you're below that age and you know how to do an ollie, you should see this.

This is the 2nd coming of skating and when it really took off. Rocket Air for life mother fuckers.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I only saw 30 sec of that and I feel stupider... I'm so glad I've never seen it.[/QUOTE]

You should have stayed for the bees, that's some seriously funny shit!

[quote name='nasum']Rising Son: THe Christian Hosoi Doc:
If you're between 26 and 40 you know this name as well as Tony Hawk and you've probably seen or owned at least 3 or 4 Bones Brigade videos on VHS. If you're below that age and you know how to do an ollie, you should see this.

This is the 2nd coming of skating and when it really took off. Rocket Air for life mother fuckers.[/QUOTE]

i liked that documentary as well and as a bonus they have rad on netflix ( one of the films hsoi and alot of other top skaters were in).

I think Thor wasn't as good as it could be because Marvel movies typically screw up the villain and the most interesting thing about Thor is his villains.

When it comes to Marvel movies, I don't know what the fuck happened. The first Blade was great - Deacon Frost was a bad motherfucker (the Blade II villain wasn't too shabby either). But ever since then Marvel villiains have been fucking pussies. Doc Oc was cool but the rest of the Marvel villains can kiss my ass.

Bringing me to Loki. Marvel, what the fuck wtf wtf. This is your baddest villain and you castrate him, you turn him into a whiny emo bitch. Wahhh I'm not a real Asgardian. Wahhh I'm not your real son. This is the baddest of the badass trickster gods and you have turned him into a second rate Mordred.

Finally shame on Branagh. Branagh - you starred in Othello, you fucking played Iago! Iago! I mean - you can't get any closer to what Loki should be. And then Branagh directs Thor and we get some half-ass scifi romeo and juliet. Way to sellout.

Thor was not a bad movie, but it was kinda pointless.

Yeah, that's my make-or-break with the Marvel movies, whether or not the villain is a good one or a crappy one. Hugo Weaving was cool in Captain America, would have been nice to have a Kevin Bacon cameo because he was okay in First Class...although the real villain was always Magneto.

The Spider-Man villains were cool. Mickey Rourke was okay in Iron Man 2, but still not really a penultimate Iron Man villain.

Then too, there's two types of Marvel movies. The modern ones (with the Marvel "logo") in the start, and the older ones that are not really in the quasi-continuity. Like the Dolph Lungren Punisher, for example. Lol, that movie was terrible, but honestly closer to the comics than the Thomas Jane one. The latest Punisher I actually thought was pretty damn good. Dominic West as the villain surprised me in that. It's campy, but good. Doesn't shove the origin story down your throat.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Have people seen the original Wicker Man?

It's beyond excellent, it may be the first modern horror movie, the pioneer for every classic that followed.

It saddens me to think that people would judge it based on the idiotic Hollywood remake.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, that's my make-or-break with the Marvel movies, whether or not the villain is a good one or a crappy one. Hugo Weaving was cool in Captain America, would have been nice to have a Kevin Bacon cameo because he was okay in First Class...although the real villain was always Magneto.

The Spider-Man villains were cool. Mickey Rourke was okay in Iron Man 2, but still not really a penultimate Iron Man villain.[/QUOTE]

Excellent points, I stand corrected.

Weaving did a great job in Captain America but as usual they gave him jack shit to work with. Come on - someone's gotta give Agent Smith a chance to really shine.

Marvel has done a great job of portraying Magneto (old and young).

Iron Man movies get a pass because they are just excellent. I sure hope that whoever introduces the Mandarin threads the needle juuuust right. Personally I'd love to see Mandarin as a villain who is so badass that Iron Man gets reduced to asking Dr Strange for help. Science and mysticism fighting side-by-side, what more could a nerd ask for?

[quote name='camoor']Science and mysticism fighting side-by-side, what more could a nerd ask for?[/QUOTE]

X-Men First Class Moira MacTaggert fighting X2 Jean Grey in a kiddie pool filled with jello. Clothes on or off, doesn't matter.

[quote name='camoor']I think Thor wasn't as good as it could be because Marvel movies typically screw up the villain and the most interesting thing about Thor is his villains.[/QUOTE]

The most interesting thing about Thor was a god interacting with mortals.

Yeah, Loki was cheesy as hell, and the worst thing about Thor easily. Also one of the reasons I'm not that stoked for the Avengers.

Thor was still decent though as it was well done, and the other performances were pretty strong IMO. And any excuse to look at Natalie Portman for a couple hours is fine by me. :D

[quote name='Rodimus']The most interesting thing about Thor was a god interacting with mortals.[/QUOTE]

Eh - I disagree. Since Thor is the hero, they can't have him come down like a Viking god and start killing everything in his way "god of war" style. So they tone down the character.

It seems there is two ways they play it:
1) Misconception that he's crazy
2) Fish-out-of-water slapstick - like smashing plates on the floor or getting repeatedly tasered

Now - with the villians you have free reign to make them as badass as you want.

Secret World of Arietty was okay. Not in the same league as princess mononoke, spirited away, nausicaa, ponyo, etc., IMO. I have no interest in seeing it again. Maybe if it was in original japanese audio cuz the dubbing was pretty bad.

[quote name='lokizz']that movie makes me think of the littles cartoon.[/QUOTE]

As well it should, afterall, the littles and the borrowers have a lot in common.

You know the major problem for me with Thor is that I simply didn't give a shit about Thor as portrayed in the movie. He had no redeeming features and simply wasn't anyone you wanted to root for.

I didn't think Cap America was the greatest flick in the world but at least you had a hero that you could root for.

It's been a few months since I've seen it and I know there was supposed to be some character development with Thor and understanding how not to be arrogant. But that's not the point of it, is it? I mean, Tony Stark is arrogant as fuck and that's why we root for him. There's no mystery to Thor at all. I'd rather see Silver Surfer than Thor.

Overall, just kinda a paint by the numbers movie for me. Hopefully Avengers will either make better use of Thor or let the other characters squeeze him out.

[quote name='confoosious']You know the major problem for me with Thor is that I simply didn't give a shit about Thor as portrayed in the movie. He had no redeeming features and simply wasn't anyone you wanted to root for.

I didn't think Cap America was the greatest flick in the world but at least you had a hero that you could root for.

It's been a few months since I've seen it and I know there was supposed to be some character development with Thor and understanding how not to be arrogant. But that's not the point of it, is it? I mean, Tony Stark is arrogant as fuck and that's why we root for him. There's no mystery to Thor at all. I'd rather see Silver Surfer than Thor.

Overall, just kinda a paint by the numbers movie for me. Hopefully Avengers will either make better use of Thor or let the other characters squeeze him out.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I think the problem was that Thor is portrayed as a total dumbass. If I want to see a dumbass tear it up I'll watch the Hulk.

[quote name='camoor']Anyone ever watch this movie? It really fucked me up as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8AkwMRvgo[/QUOTE]

lmao i guess you were a late night kid too. dude ive seen that and alot more they used to come on during nightflix or nght traxx they had alot of odd cartoons on then. i remember one where these alien kids when they slept would have a bubble leave their bodies and land on top of naked headless bodies the humans popped the bubble and the alien kids woke up blind.

i think it may be from the same video you posted. yep thats the one i think the kid grew up and then went for revenge against the aliens thats when they popped the dream bubbles.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
What a load of fucking hippie propaganda.

Damn good movie, though I wish the comics were more available. Those Ohmus are as creepy as hell, and awesome.

bread's done
Back