surround sound suggestions?

skulls dont fade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
hey guys, i'm looking for a good HTIB for around $400. i don't want a blu ray or dvd player included, just receiver and speakers, 5.1 with whatever bells and whistles $400 will afford me. anybody have some suggestions?

I think the best all-in-one set you can get on a budget is one of the Onkyo systems. I haven't kept up, so they might have changed, but when I got mine two years ago that was the situation. I got a great 7.1 system, with good specs and good quality, powered subwoofer, small but quality speakers, and fullfeatured receiver, for under 400. The only thing my receiver is missing is HDMI, but I got it before HDMI was widespread.
CircuitCity.com has a couple in the 300-400 range.
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4542782&CatId=4585

thanks i'm finding that i'm leaning towards onkyo. i'm guessing that i'll end up spending a little over $500 after a little research. other suggestions will be listened to, so def keep them coming!

We really need a sticky thread on this topic. It comes up every other week and the Onkyo system is constantly recommended.

Your better off spending a little more - view the Anthem series http://www.anthemav.com. You may find a used Anthem AVM-30 pre-amplifier for around $700 and an MCA-50 power amplifier for $500 at http://www.audiogon.com.

Well worth the price, I have an Anthem Statement D2V and an MCA-50 hooked up to some M&K speakers http://mksoundsystem.com/ (thats what George Lucas used for Star Wars THX)- whole system is about $9,000 but sounds unbelievable.

Don't waste your money on cables just buy from http://www.mycablemart.com.

If your doing a HT setup do it right first time.

Otherwise on a budget I would recommend a Denon series integrated amplifier http://www.usa.denon.com/

[quote name='sbains']Your better off spending a little more - view the Anthem series http://www.anthemav.com. You may find a used Anthem AVM-30 pre-amplifier for around $700 and an MCA-50 power amplifier for $500 at http://www.audiogon.com.

Well worth the price, I have an Anthem Statement D2V and an MCA-50 hooked up to some M&K speakers http://mksoundsystem.com/ (thats what George Lucas used for Star Wars THX)- whole system is about $9,000 but sounds unbelievable.

Don't waste your money on cables just buy from http://www.mycablemart.com.

If your doing a HT setup do it right first time.

Otherwise on a budget I would recommend a Denon series integrated amplifier http://www.usa.denon.com/[/QUOTE]

i spend enough time watching movies and playing games to warrant a decent surround sound set up, but not enough time doing these activities to spend that much money on it. that said, the set up you have is probably amazing, just not reasonable for me. i got the wife's approval to spend around $600. i'm presently looking at the Onkyo HT-S6200 7.1 system, can anyone chime in on that system?

Dont skimp on your components as you can always build a system and get way better sound that way over a HTIB(home theater in a box). I got this for about $830 shipped
(prices have gone up since I ordered right before Christmas) for a Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2 Receiver, Polk Audio 12" Powered Subwoofer, and a 5 satellite speaker system from Klipsch. I am still waiting on my new speaker wire to come in from monoprice and already got my subwoofer cable. All these components have great ratings and features (look them up on amazon) and I cant wait to hook all this up to my Samsung 46" A650 LCD, PS3, 360, etc. (the receiver has 6 HDMI inputs)

000_5116.jpg

I just replaced my old Sony 5.1 receiver with a Harman/Kardon, and the sound quality is fantastic. Not sure if those come HTIB, though. If you decide to buy your system one piece at a time, though, you might want to check those out.

That said, one of my friends has an Onkyo, and he said he had no complaints. That's the brand I was looking at before I went H/K.

Here's a link to the receiver I got - surprisingly cheap for the quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-154-5-1-Channel-Receiver/dp/B0016BN5CM

Last edited by a moderator:
i love how you state your price range and this guy comes in recommending a $9k system.

for an htib nothing beats the shoponkyo systems for their price.
that said. im partial to yamaha and pioneer avr's
you can pick up one thats fits your connectivity needs and a speaker set like the energy sets.

it really comes down to your budget which is set and your needs.
how big is the room? what kind of space do you have for your fronts?

While I don't necessarily love Sony receivers, I think donut has the right attitude. Don't let the purists convince you that anything under their "preferred" setup isn't worth it. Audiophiles love to crap all over the midrange stuff, when to most of us they sound great. Stick to your price range and you'll find something that sounds good to your ears. Don't get wrapped up in the numbers game with people who spent thousands on their setups. It's a losing battle, as there is always someone who's gonna tell you "yeah, but for a LITTLE MORE MONEY you could blah blah..."

Energy Take 5 is a great budget 5.1 - beat's bose and many others. My cousin has it and I think it sounds pretty damn great. Energy is a division of Klipsch I've heard, which makes it even better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
EMCMNNX64 to make it $120.

Subwoofer
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-ESW-C1...s&ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262382958&sr=8-2

A cheaper sub.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16882290034

All credit goes to people on SD for the great prices.

I have the Fluance AV-HTB 5 speaker set and love it. The fronts are floor standing and provide enough bass that I really didn't *need* a sub in my small living room (12x13). That didn't stop me from getting one though. The speakers have been out of stock for quite some time, so that doesn't really help you I guess.

If I wasn't happy with them I would definitely give the Energy set from newegg a shot. It seems to be a very well reviewed set.

I have an ASW-8 from thespeakercompany.com. I snagged a refrubished one for $60. I haven't had the opportunity to really push it yet, but it seems to be performing well.

Everything is powered by an Onkyo TX-SR607, fronts are bi-amped using the 7.1 outputs. Total cost $650; surround - $240, sub - $60, receiver - $350

[quote name='monoxide101']

Everything is powered by an Onkyo TX-SR607, fronts are bi-amped using the 7.1 outputs. Total cost $650; surround - $240, sub - $60, receiver - $350[/QUOTE]
Cool another 607 owner. I finally got all my components and will hook up system tonight. Cant wait to see how everything sounds with blu-ray movies. (I have the Onkyo 607, Klipsch Quintet III, and Polk Audio 12" Sub)

[quote name='addicted2games']Cool another 607 owner. I finally got all my components and will hook up system tonight. Cant wait to see how everything sounds with blu-ray movies. (I have the Onkyo 607, Klipsch Quintet III, and Polk Audio 12" Sub)[/QUOTE]

I managed to grab mine right before Thanksgiving. Amazon had it for $350 and the UP-A1 iPod/iPhone dock was free when purchased together. I'm not sure if it stayed at that price for even 24hrs. So far I'm loving it. More than enough power for my application and the automatic set up is great.

I was going to order wire from monoprice, but then I remembered I had 20 or 30 feet in with my car audio stuff. The front and center are now wired with 16g KnuKonceptz Klear Kable.

[quote name='monoxide101']I managed to grab mine right before Thanksgiving. Amazon had it for $350 and the UP-A1 iPod/iPhone dock was free when purchased together. I'm not sure if it stayed at that price for even 24hrs. So far I'm loving it. More than enough power for my application and the automatic set up is great.

I was going to order wire from monoprice, but then I remembered I had 20 or 30 feet in with my car audio stuff. The front and center are now wired with 16g KnuKonceptz Klear Kable.[/QUOTE]

I got mine for $359 shipped right before Christmas from Amazon. I ordered 100 foot 14 gauge cable from monoprice and that is the thing I have been waiting 10 days for. Finally it arrived yesterday and now I can set my stuff up.

[quote name='MuzykMann']While I don't necessarily love Sony receivers, I think donut has the right attitude. Don't let the purists convince you that anything under their "preferred" setup isn't worth it. Audiophiles love to crap all over the midrange stuff, when to most of us they sound great. Stick to your price range and you'll find something that sounds good to your ears. Don't get wrapped up in the numbers game with people who spent thousands on their setups. It's a losing battle, as there is always someone who's gonna tell you "yeah, but for a LITTLE MORE MONEY you could blah blah..."[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Can't wait for some assclown to come in here saying "well, I know you're looking at spening around $500, but really if you're not spending AT LEAST $100,000...no not for the entire system but PER SPEAKER, then your system is shit." (meanwhile they personally use some Panasony, Coby, or other knockoff $99 HTIB they got at Radio Shack/Walmart/Walgreens/Big Lots).

BTW my receiver is one of a kind, made of 100% pure platinum, palladium, and unobtainium...each individual piece was smelted and handcrafted by dwarves living in the Bavarian Alps...the speaker wire is made of an unknown alloy made from the hull of a UFO that crashed, and the speakers are solid gold. It cost me one BEEEEEEEEEEEELLION dollars, and that was in 1982 moneyz.:roll:

Anyway OP, just go to an AV store or even Best Buy/Fry's, somewhere with a speaker/receiver testing room or area, and find some brands of speakers and receivers that sound good to you. That's the most important thing. Then shop around, and probably order from amazon since they have such tasty prices and discounts.

Personally, if I was shopping for a new system right now, I'd definitely take a long look at addicted2games and monoxide101 recommendations...especially on the Onkyo receiver. $600-1,000 for a great sounding setup is a sweet deal.

I'd have to put in another nod for the Energy speakers. I have a 7.1 system made up of six C-50's, one C-C50, and an ESW-V8 sub. Sounds pretty good. I went with the ESW-V8 sub because I read some good reviews on AVSForum.com about it giving some good punch for its size, plus it looks good. The sub can obviously be swapped out with whatever, though I've been very happy with the punch of the sub. Hooked together with 14-gauge speaker wire from Monoprice.

They're paired to an Onkyo SR-TX876 that I picked up as a refurb from ClubOnkyo.com over Memorial Day weekend. Another item you could swap with whatever, though the SR-TX607 should be a look by anyone looking for a lower-end receiver.

You might want to check on WWStereo.com for a place to look for some good speakers at good prices.

if your budget doesnt allow enough room for some of these id suggest passing on the sub for another month or two and picking up one when you can afford it. youll be better off.

i do think youll be happy with on of the onkyo htib setups.
the avr is solid and you can change stuff down the road and not be out much $.

[quote name='paz9x']if your budget doesnt allow enough room for some of these id suggest passing on the sub for another month or two and picking up one when you can afford it. youll be better off.

i do think youll be happy with on of the onkyo htib setups.
the avr is solid and you can change stuff down the road and not be out much $.[/QUOTE]I'd second this suggestion about the Onkyo HTIB being a starting point.

I was so cheap finding a surround sound system a few years back I took a dare on the now out of production Altec Lansing GT5051 5.1 channel surround system:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-GT5051-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0006688XY
http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/altec-lansing-gt5051/4505-3179_7-31200933.html

I bought 2 sets, one for my 50 inch Sony and one for my 37 inch Samsung HDTVs. Got one from ebay for $65 brand new, and another set from Circuit City clearance for $50. I ended up getting them because I didn't want to bother with all of the excess miles of cords, these were super easy to setup because they hook up directly to the AV port on the back of the TV!

Yes, yes I know they seem super UNDERPOWERED and the reviews aren't glowing...but for me they work spectacular. I live in a condo and these little babies are super loud and clear, especially with a decent DVD track. There may be all the 'blah, blah, blah' from pundits about the sound not being audiophile quality...but I could care less. For my needs and my budget I got 5.1 surround from only 3 satellite speakers and decent bass. Not mind-rattling or room-shaking bass but definitely still noticeable from a little 5 inch woofer. These puppies work perfect for me because I like to sit 4-5 feet directly in front of the TV when I play my favs like Modern Warfare 2 or Dead Space. The surround works great especially when the placement of the satellites are optimal.

I love a great surround sound setup...don't get me wrong, quality components can make movies and music come alive...but I'm a prince on a pauper's budget. Don't ever worry about spending top dollar for surround sound, just go with your ear. Your budget is more than enough for some good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is helping mucho as well. I was looking at one of the Sonys though. But everyone seems to be raving about the Onkyos though. Maybe it is time I upgrade my 7 years old JVC RX8020. I'm too attached to upgrade though.

[quote name='vasco']This is helping mucho as well. I was looking at one of the Sonys though. But everyone seems to be raving about the Onkyos though. Maybe it is time I upgrade my 7 years old JVC RX8020. I'm too attached to upgrade though.[/QUOTE]

dont mistake our onkyo htib suggestion with us raving.
its really the quality of the speakers in the set that makes the onkyo htib's a far better bargain than others.
more or less you cant really go wrong with any avr from a big company.
each has its own sound and some may prefer one over another. but an onkyo is no better than a yamaha or pio, or hk.

while my only experience with the new sony avrs is looking at them, i thought they did a pretty good job with the aesthetics. I certainly wouldnt blindly advise against one.

Another thought is find a nice set of speakers for 300 and find a decent used reciever on Craigslist locally for 100. Good speakers make a system and last a long time. you can upgrade later to a better Reciever.

Energys are very nice from what Ive heard and you can get those and a subwoofer for 300

[quote name='Koggit']but it's cheap and has wireless rears and everyone who bought it loves it so i'm gonna buy it[/QUOTE]

My friend bought a Panasonic 5.1 surround sound system with wireless rear speakers. It actually interferes with Wii remotes. He has to turn the back speakers off to play the Wii.

Just mentioning it. I have no idea if you have a Wii, or if all wireless speaker sets are like this. It's entirely possible they work completely differently. But, to me, it's something worth looking into (for any wireless set).

I got my parents the 3-2-1 Bose system for christmas. A little bit pricy $1000, but they didn't want any more than 2 speakers because they didn't want the wires all over the large living room. And they are more than great sounding. I could never warrant ever spending a penny more :) Unless I was filthy rich and watched movies 24/7

[quote name='BigSexy7947']I got my parents the 3-2-1 Bose system for christmas. A little bit pricy $1000, but they didn't want any more than 2 speakers because they didn't want the wires all over the large living room. And they are more than great sounding. I could never warrant ever spending a penny more :) Unless I was filthy rich and watched movies 24/7[/QUOTE]
I suggest you research what the pro's think of BOSE on Head-Fi.org or another big audio site. Bose is considered the biggest rip-off in sound. The energy set that I recommended before is an extremely popular pick for people who hand-pick their rig.

[quote name='GBmanNC']Stuff like the sony doesn't sound anything like actual audio equipment.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you from experience that Sony recievers dont put out sound like other brands. I had a Sony 5.1 receiver and just got an Onkyo and the difference is night and day. The sony sounded more muffled (not as clear or full) and my onkyo hooked up to Klipsch speakers sounds so vivid and clean. Of course speakers make a world of difference and there are many better speakers than sony. Sony has good tvs and makes a great game system, but their sound systems leave a lot to be desired, imo. Pick your own speakers and your own receiver and build a system, no matter if you are doing low-end, mid, or high-end components.

Chalk up another vote for Onkyo (and Denon, though I think you'll have a hard time putting together a nice denon rig within your budget). High end Sony or Pioneer Elite are very nice, but the gear they have around what you are looking to spend is nowhere near as nice, especially when compared to the Onkyo. And for everyone's sake, stay far, far, away from Bose. Best marketing on the planet. Too bad about the product.

I used to have a Bose 321. I'm no audio junkie, but to me, i thought the sound was amazing through 2 speakers. However, i recently sold it because i wanted to go true surround sound since i game a lot and watch some blu-ray movies. I bought:

Onkyo TX-SR507
Energy Take 5 Classics Speakers (its without the bass)
Polk Audio PSW111 Bass

The sound is INCREDIBLE! My total was around $700 after getting wires/plugs as well (i know a little higher than what ur going after). The Energy Take 5 Classics are still on sale for $150 ($166 after S&H), ends 1/11. After that, it goes back to $350, so if you were going to get cheap, compact, but powerful and clear speakers, get those. I've read nothing but good reviews and mine sound amazing as well.

As for the bass, i'd look around and just do some research. For the receiver, I personally suggest Onkyo; its on the cheaper side, but still fantastic.

good luck on building the set.

[quote name='adonis 27']I used to have a Bose 321. I'm no audio junkie, but to me, i thought the sound was amazing through 2 speakers. However, i recently sold it because i wanted to go true surround sound since i game a lot and watch some blu-ray movies. I bought:

Onkyo TX-SR507
Energy Take 5 Classics Speakers (its without the bass)
Polk Audio PSW111 Bass

The sound is INCREDIBLE! My total was around $700 after getting wires/plugs as well (i know a little higher than what ur going after). The Energy Take 5 Classics are still on sale for $150 ($166 after S&H), ends 1/11. After that, it goes back to $350, so if you were going to get cheap, compact, but powerful and clear speakers, get those. I've read nothing but good reviews and mine sound amazing as well.

As for the bass, i'd look around and just do some research. For the receiver, I personally suggest Onkyo; its on the cheaper side, but still fantastic.

good luck on building the set.[/QUOTE]The Take 5 Classics are a great starting point for surround sound speakers. I was looking at them when I upgraded to the C-50's I have currently. I highly recommend them and a good receiver. Speaker cable and banana plugs, pick them up from Monoprice.com .

[quote name='shrike4242']The Take 5 Classics are a great starting point for surround sound speakers. I was looking at them when I upgraded to the C-50's I have currently. I highly recommend them and a good receiver. Speaker cable and banana plugs, pick them up from Monoprice.com .[/QUOTE]

amen banana plugs.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd have to put in another nod for the Energy speakers. I have a 7.1 system made up of six C-50's, one C-C50, and an ESW-V8 sub. Sounds pretty good. I went with the ESW-V8 sub because I read some good reviews on AVSForum.com about it giving some good punch for its size, plus it looks good. The sub can obviously be swapped out with whatever, though I've been very happy with the punch of the sub. Hooked together with 14-gauge speaker wire from Monoprice.

They're paired to an Onkyo SR-TX876 that I picked up as a refurb from ClubOnkyo.com over Memorial Day weekend. Another item you could swap with whatever, though the SR-TX607 should be a look by anyone looking for a lower-end receiver.

You might want to check on WWStereo.com for a place to look for some good speakers at good prices.[/QUOTE]THIS!

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd second this suggestion about the Onkyo HTIB being a starting point.[/QUOTE] This!

[quote name='shrike4242']The Take 5 Classics are a great starting point for surround sound speakers. I was looking at them when I upgraded to the C-50's I have currently. I highly recommend them and a good receiver. Speaker cable and banana plugs, pick them up from Monoprice.com .[/QUOTE]
Agreed! Also just check slickdeals. Click the hot deals forum and go to the bottom and click the audio tag on the bottom left side.

Personally, I feel you have 3 choices.

1. Buy the energy takes @newegg for $120. Add a sub. Add an avr.

2. Onkyo htib.

3. Buy an avr and speakers. Buy a sub later of better quality.

I would try and go with option #1 and try and get the bic f12 sub for $200. Leaving about $250-$280 for an AVR. Good luck and we do need a sticky on this sending everyone to the avs forum. Lot of help there. I know that is where Shrike and I go for anything audio/video related.

[quote name='rmb']THIS!

This!

Agreed! Also just check slickdeals. Click the hot deals forum and go to the bottom and click the audio tag on the bottom left side.

Personally, I feel you have 3 choices.

1. Buy the energy takes @newegg for $120. Add a sub. Add an avr.

2. Onkyo htib.

3. Buy an avr and speakers. Buy a sub later of better quality.

I would try and go with option #1 and try and get the bic f12 sub for $200. Leaving about $250-$280 for an AVR. Good luck and we do need a sticky on this sending everyone to the avs forum. Lot of help there. I know that is where Shrike and I go for anything audio/video related.[/QUOTE]

the bic f12 is a GREAT value at $200 depending on the room it may be overpowering.

I'm going to say onkyo as well. I have a five year old onkyo htib and it sounds fantastic for 500 bucks. Sony is not trash like someone suggested...but there are better brands ( like onkyo :) )

[quote name='BigBizzee']I'm going to say onkyo as well. I have a five year old onkyo htib and it sounds fantastic for 500 bucks. Sony is not trash like someone suggested...but there are better brands ( like onkyo :) )[/QUOTE]

sony's speakers arent very good. from my research and fiddling in store their avr's are on par with the other big names. if i had a sony display id certainly favor one because of their synching ability.

i want to reiterate that the onkyo htib are highly recommended because of the speaker quality. their avr's are not necessarily superior to the other big names. its the bundle thats so great at their price.

basically if you want to buy a box with everything included buy the onkyo, if you want to piece together a system look at all the other avr's.

[quote name='Koggit']http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-DAV-HDX589W-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B001W0Y440

what about this? i want this

haven't bought it but i think i will soon unless it sucks. does it suck?[/QUOTE]

I bought this, I'm satisfied with it generally but it feels a wee bit underpowered, particularly the rears. I had a 5.1 system before where I could put a satellite in each corner of the room and it was perfect, but these rears are too weak to be that far away, they have to be directly behind the seating (our sofa) which makes the "surround" effect pretty much null (if you're seating on either end of the sofa, you'd mostly hear that channel, only the side)... reading through the reviews, the underpowered rear speakers have been a common complaint.

It's been great for just one person, like when I'm playing a single-player game, but when 2+ people wanna play or watch something there's basically no surround. I don't regret it and won't be returning it, just something for people to keep in mind when shopping for surround sound -- I wish I had gotten a set with higher powered rear satellites.

i started this thread and just wanted to update everyone with what i ultimately purchased:

onkyo tx-sr607 receiver (got for $360)
energy take 5 classic satellites
klipsch sw-350 sub (got this and the energys for $350)

spent about $710 for everything, so i'm happy. it was more than i wanted to spend, but because i bought a house this year, my tax return was alot more than anticipated. can't wait for everything to arrive so i can truly enjoy all of my components.

[quote name='skulls dont fade']i started this thread and just wanted to update everyone with what i ultimately purchased:

onkyo tx-sr607 receiver (got for $360)
energy take 5 classic satellites
klipsch sw-350 sub (got this and the energys for $350)

spent about $710 for everything, so i'm happy. it was more than i wanted to spend, but because i bought a house this year, my tax return was alot more than anticipated. can't wait for everything to arrive so i can truly enjoy all of my components.[/QUOTE]
You won't regret the purchase. The reciever will last many years. Speakers may or may not. Depends on the upgrade itch! LOL I have been bitten by the upgrade bug for the last year now. Enjoy!

bread's done
Back