Surround Sound System buying help

Cow_tipper

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to get a fairly bottom end surround sound setup, probably a Home Theater in a Box, but I have no idea where to get a good price on a decent setup, or even what a good price is. I remember there used to be that Pioneer set designed to match the 360 for around $100, but I can't find that anywhere anymore. Something in the $100-$150 range is preferable. I'm not used to much quality because all I've ever had is built in TV speakers, so anything will probably sound good to me.

Any suggestions or pointers would be a big help.

Choose anything from Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha and absolutely avoid everything else like Sony, Panasonic, etc. Also don't get suckered into buying Logitech computer speakers, you really want a receiver that has lots of inputs that isn't designed primarily for a PC environment.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with Logitechs higher end setups..but in the end, they are still just really good PC speakers.

I'm assuming you are trying to fill a bedroom or small room and not something like a family room, right?

Just make sure what you purchase actually accepts surround sound inputs (6-plug RCA, optical, coax).

A couple years ago (before knowing anything about home theater) I bought a Durabrand "Surround Sound System" from Wal-Mart for ~$60. Five satellite speakers and a small sub. However, all it had were two-channel RCA (red & white) inputs, so it didn't even produce surround sound (just left and right channels spread out to 5 speakers).

It's been a couple years ago, so hopefully they don't sell that garbage anymore to unsuspecting customers.

[quote name='jpw21683']Just make sure what you purchase actually accepts surround sound inputs (6-plug RCA, optical, coax).

A couple years ago (before knowing anything about home theater) I bought a Durabrand "Surround Sound System" from Wal-Mart for ~$60. Five satellite speakers and a small sub. However, all it had were two-channel RCA (red & white) inputs, so it didn't even produce surround sound (just left and right channels spread out to 5 speakers).

It's been a couple years ago, so hopefully they don't sell that garbage anymore to unsuspecting customers.[/QUOTE]

Actually, your durabrand surround system, while probably shitty, also probably accepted dolby pro-logic, This is a 2-Channel encoded surround signal, which produces a fairly good surround solution, (left/right center mono surround) which is what, for example the wii uses for it's surround, as well as all analog tv broadcasts.

What you get through an optical or coax is dolby digital or dts, which in most cases sounds quite a bit better. It gives you stereo surrounds and a discrete subwoofer channel that the prologic does not.

Anyway, just thought that could use clearing up, but i'd tend to agree with jpw that you should probably get something with a few optical and coax digital inputs for dolby digital and dts decoding. However, even with a prologic only surround setup (white/red rca plugs only), if your devices and receiver are configured correctly, you can get very good sounding surround games and dvds/tv.

Also, check craigslist for surround systems. I got a great Denon receiver (which was about 500 new for 60 bucks) it's a few years old but sounds amazing. There are a ton of Hi-fi crazies that upgrade all the time and dump there stuff pretty often.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']i have logitech z5500, and they are great. But if you need a good receiver with a lot of inputs, i wouldnt go that route.[/quote]

Have it. Love it. Best $140 ever spent.

i have the 360 pioneer system and it's perfect, especially for the price. i was able to find it online pretty easily, still cheap...check it

bread's done
Back