SWTOR Collector's Edition - Worth Keeping Preorder?

LagFighter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Back in July, I managed to get a pre-order in for the SWTOR Collector's Edition at Amazon. I was pretty stoked about it at the time because they were so limited, but I'm now having second thoughts. The price tag is heftier than most ($150 !), and I'm not sure I'll have room for a Sith statue in my dorm room (-_-"). To top it all off, I'm not entirely sure that I have the time and patience for another MMO after all.

My question essentially boils down to this: will there be any resale value on the Collector's Edition? I did already go ahead and redeem the pre-order code, but I don't think that will stop me from canceling - does this mean I could essentially flip the Collector's Edition on eBay when it arrives? I was considering just going for the standard or digital deluxe version of the game for myself - I felt that if I do want to play, I won't need all of the physical goodies.

Then again, who knows? If I love the game, I might want to keep my Collector's.

Anyway, anyone have advice on this particular matter?

Yes, you should keep it. If it's like other Bioware CE's, it'll easily sell for more than retail on Ebay post-release. Bioware has said it's limiting supply of TOR at launch to help mitigate the potential lag and queue problems, so I imagine the CE is limited as well.

Keep in mind that this is speculation, but I'd say keep the preorder. And don't use it to create an account and then sell the physical stuff, because people really, really do care about the digital extras. If you still want to play the game, just get the regular or digital deluxe version for yourself. Also, the pre-order code you got should let you into the early access period, which is super nice (Although, you might run into problems since the code is tied to what version of the game you preordered, so that's another consideration. Not sure though.)

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yes, you should keep it. If it's like other Bioware CE's, it'll easily sell for more than retail on Ebay post-release. Bioware has said it's limiting supply of TOR at launch to help mitigate the potential lag and queue problems, so I imagine the CE is limited as well.

Keep in mind that this is speculation, but I'd say keep the preorder. And don't use it to create an account and then sell the physical stuff, because people really, really do care about the digital extras. If you still want to play the game, just get the regular or digital deluxe version for yourself. Also, the pre-order code you got should let you into the early access period, which is super nice (Although, you might run into problems since the code is tied to what version of the game you preordered, so that's another consideration. Not sure though.)[/QUOTE]

>Also, the pre-order code you got should let you into the early access period, which is super nice (Although, you might run into problems since the code is tied to what version of the game you preordered, so that's another consideration. Not sure though.)

Yeah, this is probably my biggest concern at this point, given that I redeemed the pre-order code. The game shows up in Origin for me as the Collector's Edition. Ideally, I would probably sell off the Collector's Edition box I get from Amazon and then get the digital deluxe version. Not really sure about how to handle the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I am in the same boat as you OP, I don't really want to pay $149.99 for this.

I wish it was $99.99 or lower with no statue, I could care less for the statue. I just want the tin case, soundtrack, art book and the authenticator.

I could just resale it and buy the regular edition to play with. I don't normally buy items to resale or flip, but if it could pay off my copy of the game and some monthly fees for the game than why not, but I also don't want to deal with the hassle of putting it on eBay and shipping it.

Anyone know of they are doing time cards for this game? I haven't seen any listing for them on Amazon, BestBuy or GameStop yet.

[quote name='tenzor']Yeah I am in the same boat as you OP, I don't really want to pay $149.99 for this.

I wish it was only $99.99 with no statue, I could care less for the statue. I just want the tin case, soundtrack, art book and the authenticator.

I could just resale it and buy the regular edition to play with. I don't normally buy items to resale or flip, but if it could pay off my copy of the game and some monthly fees for the game than why not. Just don't want to deal with the hassle of putting it on eBay and shipping it.

Anyone know of they are doing time cards for this game? I haven't seen any listing for them on Amazon, BestBuy or GameStop yet.[/QUOTE]

100% agreed.

If you don't want certain parts of it like the statue you could always try selling those off individually as well, there are usually other people who would only want that statue and be willing to pay for just that.

Damn, I didn't think about the early access code.

I redeemed it when I pre ordered the collectors, and my account says early access collectors edition.

There is bound to be some issue if I try to redeem the key for a regular edition at launch if I accessed it as a early access collectors edition pre order.

More decisions to make now.

[quote name='MoCiWe']If you don't want certain parts of it like the statue you could always try selling those off individually as well, there are usually other people who would only want that statue and be willing to pay for just that.[/QUOTE]

You really think so? If I could get rid of the statue and/or journal for >= $50, that would work beautifully.

Also, I thought I might mention that the reason I'm in such a frenzy about this is that I'm a college student living in a ~100 sq. ft. dorm room - I literally do not have space for extra crap. I already made that mistake once with Killzone 3 Helghast Edition when I bought it impulsively in a LD earlier in the year - I don't want to make the same error twice.

Again, if anyone is planning on selling some of the physical items like the statue, I'd love if you would chime in - it's looking like a really attractive option at this point.

[quote name='LagFighter']You really think so? If I could get rid of the statue and/or journal for >= $50, that would work beautifully.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delay in response, but yeah I believe you could get a good chunk of change back for the stuff you don't want. I'm a collector myself so I like to get stuff like that but every once in a while I will look around on sites like eBay and see people selling off the physical items from CE's individually (Such as the statues from Reach, Gears, and Skyrim for example) As a matter of fact here's a link that shows just the statue from Skyrim's CE that sold for $80 on it's own. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skyrim-Aldu...aultDomain_0&hash=item336f0fd561#ht_500wt_949

To be honest, this preorder just seems to be a bad investor pool. Bunch of people buying it up to sell it for 100x the price to some other investor hoping to make 200x in a year. To be honest, having been in the SW:TOR Closed beta and also open public beta, I can say I'm not impressed with this game at all. Come release time, however, my friend who is an art designer on the project will be getting me the Collector's copy. Would I personally pay for it? H to the eeeeell no.

I have 2 CEs on preorder and due to the cutting off very early on the preorders I have no doubt they are actually limited and will easily sell for more after release. I'm hoping to cover my cost of both by selling one. Am I crazy? Maybe a little. I'll post it for at least $300 and see what I get.

My advice is to keep it and sell it once you get it in your hands if you don't want it.

Thanks for the advice, all.

To recap my situation:
-Pre-ordered CE on Amazon
-Used pre-order code
-Will arrive on Dec. 22
-Don't really want the statue or journal, would like the digital goodies (although I might already be bound to those due to having used the pre-order code, would like someone to clarify that)

Option A: Don't cancel order. Receive CE in mail, flip the physical CE I receive for an ideal price of >=$200.

Option B: Don't cancel order. Receive CE in mail, open and remove statue and/or journal, sell those on eBay for $50-$100.

Option C: Cancel preorder on Amazon.

What's the best move here? I feel like Option A is easier than Option B. I'd like to avoid Option C since that's obviously the one with the least profit.

Also, anyone have any insight as to Collector's Edition pre-order codes, and how those effect digital content from the CE?

bread's done
Back