SWTOR - Digital Copy Sale

How long do these MMORPGs usually take to go free to play? This is the only one i've ever been interested in because it's Star Wars and I loved KOTOR 1 and 2, but I have no interest in paying a monthly fee on top of paying for the game itself.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']How long do these MMORPGs usually take to go free to play? This is the only one i've ever been interested in because it's Star Wars and I loved KOTOR 1 and 2, but I have no interest in paying a monthly fee on top of paying for the game itself.[/QUOTE]

It people like and it is stays popular then it won't for at least a good number of years until it starts dieing. It could be 6 years or 1 year or they could run it into the ground and close it before making it free to play.

If you see servers start to merge, that's the first sign of people quitting which is a good step towards free-to-play.

The downside is that this is an EA game, Warhammer Online failed a very long time about and is still $15 a month. I wouldn't expect them to go to free-to-play with a Star Wars mmo for a VERY long time.

Even if servers merge, which will likely happen soon for SWTOR, I wouldn't expect it to go free to play. They have something like 200 servers.

[quote name='ev1lg00dguy']If you see servers start to merge, that's the first sign of people quitting which is a good step towards free-to-play.

The downside is that this is an EA game, Warhammer Online failed a very long time about and is still $15 a month. I wouldn't expect them to go to free-to-play with a Star Wars mmo for a VERY long time.[/QUOTE]

Hell they haven't even made Ultima Online free to play and that came out in the 90s!

As long as there's one person paying for the monthly subscription, they'll keep it pay-to-play. I don't think EA has ever had any games switch from P2P to F2P (UO, DAOC, Warhammer, etc); maybe they'll reduce the game price to $0 and have it be monthly subscription buy in, but I don't think they've ever changed the subscription practices of their games once they've been set.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']How long do these MMORPGs usually take to go free to play? This is the only one i've ever been interested in because it's Star Wars and I loved KOTOR 1 and 2, but I have no interest in paying a monthly fee on top of paying for the game itself.[/QUOTE]

Its not going F2P anytime soon. That being said, if you really loved star wars, and really loved kotor, this is totally worth the $15 a month. I hardly get to play and i've been playing since launch. As a star wars fan, its my dream game. Truly it is. $15 is 2 lunches for me....I'll bring a sandwich to work and keep playing swtor.

bread's done
Back