Sympathy Bids?

Wet Ninja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Check out this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=6935903307&rd=1

The title is "LOT OF PS1 GAMES MUST SELL FOUND OUT I HAVE CANCER." There are nine PS1 games, none of which are worth more than a couple bucks, but bidding is up to $66.00 right now with four and a half hours left. Maybe they're sympathy bids.

Disclaimer: I'm not making light of the person having cancer. I just think it's interesting that people would bid that much for those games. I probably wouldn't do it, but it's very generous of them, and quite commendable.

Edit: I just looked at the seller's other auctions to see if there were any big lots she was selling because she "has cancer." In this auction, she has to sell a bunch of sports cards: "I MUST SELL ALL OF MY CARDS AND MY HUSBANDS. WE ARE MOVING TO A SMALLER HOUSE. MY HUSBAND WAS INJURED IN A FARMING ACCIDENT. AND LOST PART OF THE USE OF HIS LEFT ARM."

Either this person has it really rough, or she's milking the sympathy bids, and it's working.

Are you kidding me? Who types MUST SELL GAMES I HAVE CANCER? I mean honestly.

I smell BS.

Now if I'm wrong, I fully apologize, but given the current evidence, sympathy bids all the way. People like that make me sick, exploiting others.

Well it seems odd so I guess I'm going to have to call :bs:

As far as selling your stuff because you have cancer I can understand that. Treatment can cost hundreds of thousands and if you don't have insurance your pretty much screwed.

She has a few other auctions up and none of those say anything about cancer, but who knows. It's really weird that she put that in her title either way.

Wow, I think I just developed cancer also....maybe I can sell some VHS for $50 :)

Yeah, not funny to joke about stuff like that.....unless she really does, then I feel sorry for her, but will not bid up anything

If that seller doesn't have cancer or her husband didn't have a farm accident and she is making it up to get more bids and money, that person is the finest example of scum I've seen in awhile.

wubb Posted: November 16, 2004, 2:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAVE TO SELL ALL MY XBOX GAMES BECAUSE RAJ WAS FIRED ON THE APPRENTICE. PLEASE HELP!!!

hahaha :rofl:

[quote name='scsg75']If that seller doesn't have cancer or her husband didn't have a farm accident and she is making it up to get more bids and money, that person is the finest example of scum I've seen in awhile.[/quote]

Rich...crafty...scum.

There's nothing illegal about this at all. While I agree that it's pretty low to lie about something like that, it's also pretty naive of people to bid on this crap for the reason of helping the seller with his/her problem. I think there's fault on both sides of the fence on this one.

I think the outrageous $66 ending bid on those PS games (and really, really bad PS games at that) is just a simple bidding war between two people. It's even possible that there was shill bidding involved. Just take a peek at the bid history.

Last year I put up an auction for my old 900Mhz Sony cordless phone. It was currently selling on sites like Amazon for $20 NEW. The ending bid was $76. Two people just went on a bidding war and kept outbidding each other. The person happily paid promptly and left positive feedback, so I wasn't about to say anything. :)

If I had cancer the last thing I would worry about is selling my stuff. Unless I really needed the $$ , which could be the case. However I personally would not disclose that I had cancer in a ebay auction.

bread's done
Back