Symphony of the Night coming to XBLA Q1 2007

Something truly great. SOTN is easily one of my favorite games of all time...

though really, I'd much rather see a straight up Castlevania collection on the 360 or something.

Why must they put out larger and large XBLA titles? It would almost discourage me from buying a CD-sized title, since, if rumors of XBLA "compilation" discs for non-Gold account users are true, there's no incentive to pay for a downloaded copy without any backup.

Good news anyway.

[quote name='mykevermin']Why must they put out larger and large XBLA titles? It would almost discourage me from buying a CD-sized title, since, if rumors of XBLA "compilation" discs for non-Gold account users are true, there's no incentive to pay for a downloaded copy without any backup.

Good news anyway.[/QUOTE]

I wish those rumors were true. If Konami improved on the game at all in this port, I'd buy it on a disc in a heartbeat. It's nice having a hard copy...

[quote name='Kendal']Now I have to choose if I want it on PSP or 360. Probably both since I can play my PSP anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Same here, portability vs. achievements...

Wait, what the hell? I always thought the rule with the arcade was to keep games under a certain size? I'm not complaining, but still... this is definitely a bold step up against Nintendo's virtual console. If Konami is bringing SotN, the possibilities are almost endless.

I'm going to wait for concrete confirmation before I sell my copy but still... this is excellent news for XBLA.

I'm literally floored Microsoft got such a high profile Japanese title. SOTN in high definition is going to be amazing.

fuck YEAH! this makes my day.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wait, what the hell? I always thought the rule with the arcade was to keep games under a certain size? I'm not complaining, but still... this is definitely a bold step up against Nintendo's virtual console. If Konami is bringing SotN, the possibilities are almost endless.

[/quote]

there have got to be ways to compress it. in any case, it's only 556 mb.

I'd rather just download the game...I find no use in paying for a Cd which has 1 or 2 games I want. However, this is great news...and I'm so damn happy XBLA is getting much better titles...now here's hoping they bring in Capcom vs. SNK

Coming to you live from the Sony Fanboy camp it's keeping it real news-

So Diane, tell me what is going on at Sony Fanboy headquarters-

Rich, it's a complete war zone down here. Some Sony fanboys were already starting to voice their unhappyness at being Sony's bitch and having to shell out $100 more than a Xbox 360- but this recent announcement by Konami about SOTN is a complete bomb shell that has the sony fan boy die hards reeling.

Sirens in the background...

Diane- what are those sirens?

Rich, those sirens are the spin alert- the president of sony is calling some of the SS (no not the nazi SS, the "Sony Saints") to hear his recent plan- lets listen in...

Sony President- The recent announcement by Konami about releasing its classic games on Xbox live service is just a smoke screen- I am here to tell you about the awesome potential that you will get when you buy our computer system. Please go out to your SS cells and remind them that not only do they get entitlements, real time weapon change, giant crabs, MASSIVE DAMAGE, and RIIIIDGE racer, but we are now announcing a new plan.

Any company who dares to release games that made our systems great will be forced by the greatness of the sony company to offer the same games on the Sony Playstation 3 computer system (it's a computer system damn europeans- give us that tax break!) for free to all users. In fact, all games on xbox live will come preloaded on the playstation 3 prior to the user buying the system.

Also- please send the additional message to the faithful- they will be able to access the internet and play against other people by just plugging their system into the wall power socket. This is completely untrue- but will give us some additional momentum and something for the SS to believe in.

Oh- and kill all those who would defect.

Diane- is this guy serious!?!?

Rich- it seems that the SS teams are going out and exterminating those who might consider buying a nintendo WII or Xbox 360- they are chanting something along the lines of "The original Xbox was too big, that's why we didn't buy it" and slogans such as "Give it up Nintendo!" Oh my god they are coming this way!

Diane! Diane! It looks like we've lost contact with Diane at Sony Fanboy camp in Japan. Now on to more boring posts-

[quote name='Roufuss']Wait, what the hell? I always thought the rule with the arcade was to keep games under a certain size? I'm not complaining, but still... this is definitely a bold step up against Nintendo's virtual console. If Konami is bringing SotN, the possibilities are almost endless.

I'm going to wait for concrete confirmation before I sell my copy but still... this is excellent news for XBLA.

I'm literally floored Microsoft got such a high profile Japanese title. SOTN in high definition is going to be amazing.[/QUOTE]

It's nice, because after seeing some very basic arcade games from decades ago and crap like Mortal Kombat 3, we see a game that has some real substance to it. I'd like to see XBLA go further in this direction because the service can really take off if it starts getting more ridiculously good games like this.

[quote name='friedram']Coming to you live from the Sony Fanboy camp it's keeping it real news-

Rich, it's a complete war zone down here. Some Sony fanboys were already starting to voice their unhappyness at being Sony's bitch and having to shell out $100 more than a Xbox 360- but this recent announcement by Konami about SOTN is a complete bomb shell that has the sony fan boy die hards reeling.

Rich, those sirens are the spin alert- the president of sony is calling some of the SS (no not the nazi SS, the "Sony Saints") to hear his recent plan- lets listen in...

Sony President- The recent announcement by Konami about releasing its classic games on Xbox live service is just a smoke screen- I am here to tell you about the awesome potential that you will get when you buy our computer system. Please go out to your SS cells and remind them that not only do they get entitlements, real time weapon change, giant crabs, MASSIVE DAMAGE, and RIIIIDGE racer, but we are now announcing a new plan.

Any company who dares to release games that made our systems great will be forced by the greatness of the sony company to offer the same games on the Sony Playstation 3 computer system (it's a computer system damn europeans- give us that tax break!) for free to all users. In fact, all games on xbox live will come preloaded on the playstation 3 prior to the user buying the system.

Also- please send the additional message to the faithful- they will be able to access the internet and play against other people by just plugging their system into the wall power socket. This is completely untrue- but will give us some additional momentum and something for the SS to believe in.

Rich- it seems that the SS teams are going out and exterminating those who might consider buying a nintendo WII or Xbox 360- they are chanting something along the lines of "The original Xbox was too big, that's why we didn't buy it" and slogans such as "Give it up Nintendo!" Oh my god they are coming this way!

Diane! Diane! It looks like we've lost contact with Diane at Sony Fanboy camp in Japan. Now on to more boring posts-[/QUOTE]

lol....classic

[/quote] I think VC games have to be less then 50 MB so they can fit on the memory card. Microsoft can always release a larger memory card, since $40 for 64 MB is a huge rip off. $40 should buy a 512 MB or 1 GB memory card.

If the port of SotN has extras not on the Playstation version I'm going to buy it.

fucking right, this is the kind of stuff Arcade should have. Now I want to see Sega announce Streets of Rage 2 on Arcade next...

[quote name='Stuka']fucking right, this is the kind of stuff Arcade should have. Now I want to see Sega announce Streets of Rage 2 on Arcade next...[/QUOTE]

Hell Yeah! Co-op Streets of Rage mmmmmmm.....sweet goodness

[quote name='mykevermin']Why must they put out larger and large XBLA titles? It would almost discourage me from buying a CD-sized title, since, if rumors of XBLA "compilation" discs for non-Gold account users are true, there's no incentive to pay for a downloaded copy without any backup.

There's plenty of backup.

You can always download the same came to the same XBox Live account at any time if you've paid for it once. I think MS OKd it because then you could download a game to the memory card, play it, then delete it if you want to play another...but then you could go back if you wanted to.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']Guess it's time to Ebay mine :whistle2:k[/quote]

This won't affect the value at all if that is what you are worried about. Check out Valk. Profile PS1. It's still high as ever.

Man, this opens up a whole new world of possibilities for XBLA. This is great news. Companies are really going to start considering titles beyond their 8-bit and 16-bit libraries now.

[quote name='shipwreck']Man, this opens up a whole new world of possibilities for XBLA. This is great news. Companies are really going to start considering titles beyond their 8-bit and 16-bit libraries now.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm thinking... it seems everyone, developers included, thought of XBLA as something to just port their basic arcade games too.

Konami throwing down Symphony of the Night opens up a realm of unimagined possibilities... I think Live is going to start going in an awesome direction nobody thought it would.

SOTN, Worms, Alien Hominid + Castle Crashers... XBLA will be one hell of a service by the time 2007 rolls around.

I'm a damn sucker for Castlevania, I'll be buying this. Can't wait for the easy achievments, since SOTN is a breeze. This is great.

[quote name='Supercake']I'm a damn sucker for Castlevania, I'll be buying this. Can't wait for the easy achievments, since SOTN is a breeze. This is great.[/QUOTE]

Time to get a remote with auto-fire function so you get against a wall and have your character whip weak zombies as they come at you for a day or two till your a leet lvl.

[quote name='friedram']Coming to you live from the Sony Fanboy camp it's keeping it real news-

Diane! Diane! It looks like we've lost contact with Diane at Sony Fanboy camp in Japan. Now on to more boring posts-[/QUOTE]
You honestly need to take a giant step back and come to terms with the fact that you just typed that entire thing and not one part of it was remotely funny.

bravo.

Awesome news. Would be even better if it was the Saturn version. Would be too good if Chi no Rondo/Rondo of Blood was announced.

I have been wanting to play this game after playing Dawn of Sorrow.

I look forward to playing this when I get a 360 eventually.

You know what would be better than the Saturn version? Them re-recording the voices. Still the best news for Live Arcade ever.

Don't really care much about SOTN, but this is great news. I was content with the current xbox live arcade games (Smash TV ownz) but this really opens up the possibility to more diversity in the games. I have a feeling that we'll see Mega Man on there eventually.

Won't be that big. If you have the PS1 disc at hand, check it out on a PC. Over 90% of the space used is for Red Book (uncompressed CD standard) audio files. Out of 484 MB used on the disc, 448 is audio files. A big remaining chunk is FMV form the opening IIRC.

Using modern codecs this game can be reduced to less than an eighth of its size on the PS1 disc. It will gain a bit of bulk from being enhanced to run in 720p but that won't make a huge difference.

Keep in mind, this isn't an emulation of the PS1 as planned for the PSP. This is a new port that is entirely native to the Xbox 360. They won't have the same difficulties facing the PSP emulation offering.

I can't believe they called Time Pilot and Scramble obscure. Both of those were huge back in the day. A lot of ColecoVision buyer made their decision based on Time Pilot being solely on that system.

Scramble was a big arcade hit and had a sequel, Super Cobra. It was one of the standout titles for the Vectrex. I would definitely be indulging my nostalgia with this one when I get a 360, although I think I may already have it on the PS1 in a Konami collection.

[quote name='mykevermin']Why must they put out larger and large XBLA titles? It would almost discourage me from buying a CD-sized title, since, if rumors of XBLA "compilation" discs for non-Gold account users are true, there's no incentive to pay for a downloaded copy without any backup.[/QUOTE]
Point taken...personally though, I'd rather just download it. I already have far too many discs taking up room in my "gaming area." If XBLA starts to let me get rid of stuff like my old, scratched up SOTN, I'm all for it.

This is good news, definitely. Hopefully they'll throw in the Sega Saturn version (sans-slowdown) since it had a few extras. The download won't be that big...the original game itself had a lot of space taken up by the music. They can compress that; I'd expect it to be 200-300 MB at the most. Certainly smaller than most 360 game demos we get.

[quote name='zewone']You know what would be better than the Saturn version? Them re-recording the voices. Still the best news for Live Arcade ever.[/QUOTE]Nah man, those cheesy voices were classic! I would be honestly pissed if they changed them. I'LL KILL YOU AND THE NIGHT!!!!!

[quote name='BustaUppa']Nah man, those cheesy voices were classic! I would be honestly pissed if they changed them. I'LL KILL YOU AND THE NIGHT!!!!![/QUOTE]

No... this can not be... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

bread's done
Back