Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror 9.3/10!

Great! I hopes its really the great I am in dire need of a good PSP game. I loved the first one on the PS1, the sequels were lackluster at best.

Man, I hope this game is as good as the first. I stopped playing after the second (third came out after the PS2 came out and didn't have interest). Since the PS2 version got luke warm reviews I didn't bother, but I'm hoping this is sweet since I just got a PSP off EBay.

Edit: Damn, that review makes the game sound like a must have for action gaming fans. I can't wait!!

Taking this review with a grain of salt... that review had absolutely nothing to make me anticipate the game at all. Basacially "wow, this game is super cool, look at these awesome missions, this is rad!" Just seemed like a very cookie cutter review.

At $39.99, like with Daxter, I'll pass, but for different reasons. The last few Syphon Filter games were horrible, and I won't drop full price on one regardless of how many reviewers say its completely awesome.

I'll wait and see what Gamespot / Gamespy has to say, or better yet, wait until some gamers from here or other boards pick it up.

didn't see that coming! I hated the demo, I thought the controls were awful. guess they fixed all that.

I'm kind of psyched about the game now. I'll probably end up picking it up with Daxter. It's about time the PSP started rolling out some more good stuff

I can only get this or Daxter with KH2 also coming out this month...Syphon Filter is 8 players online with headset...that is soooo soooo tempting, I dont know what to do...plus the single player game is supposed to be a good length with a good story...I wonder how long Daxter is...

[quote name='Apossum']didn't see that coming! I hated the demo, I thought the controls were awful. guess they fixed all that.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. I didnt like the demo either and thought the controls were crap. Hopefully they fixed that

[quote name='gizmogc']9.3? How much has Sony paid them? While I'm sure the game is good, a 9.3 is WAY too high.[/QUOTE]

Since you've apparently already played the finished game, please share why its too high of a score.

holy crap, I had to faith in this game, but after that review I might actually buy this with Daxter......dam I hate that sony decides to bring out all the hits at the same dam time, my wallet hates me :(

I finished the first 3 on ps1 (despite the ugly ass graphics, so-so story, and ONE incredibly hard mission- anybody remember the one where you have to protect a truck? ) Skipped the ps2 since CDR, DVDR, DRE and MODchip"killed" my SCPH 30001 ps2.

EDIT: Now I remember. Syphon filter 3: the 11th mission: "The Convoy". The hardest part in any video games' games I have ever played. I kept trying for several hours just to pass that fucking valley with my truck almost "gone" facing multiple sharpshooters either aiming at me or trying to "nuke" my already-damaged-truck. I remember well how I had to cover both the truck and my stupid teammate who seems to have fallen in love with death.

[quote name='whoknows']Since you've apparently already played the finished game, please share why its too high of a score.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that remind you of the "reviews" by users on EBGames that say that a game rocks or sucks way before it is even released?

Here are a few great ones for this game:

SYPHON FILTER IS A MUST BUY
Syphon Filter is a great series, i find it to be a better series than Metal Gear. But I am not dogging Metal Gear....Metal Gear Solid will forever go down as one of my favorites. But Gabe is like Uber Cool when it comes to the Syphon Filter series. I can't wait.

THIS IS AWSOME
This is going to be cool i loved the first one on ps2 so it will; be awsome on psp i hope

I swear I want to reach through my screen and strangle these kids who ruin a decent review system with nonsense.​

edit: just the layout, I hate that it defaults to centered

What's with IGN lately and busting out reviews so fast?

I'll wait for Gamespot's and 1up's reviews and what people on message boards think, and then a price drop.

It sounds ok though.

damn. it might be time to upgrade my psp from 1.5 so i can start playing the new games. i'm sure some nerd will hack the firmware so i can play my NES, SNES and GB/GBC games again...

[quote name='javeryh']damn. it might be time to upgrade my psp from 1.5 so i can start playing the new games. i'm sure some nerd will hack the firmware so i can play my NES, SNES and GB/GBC games again...[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm still at 1.5 as well...its going to hurt to update, but with Syphon Filter, Daxter, and then Splinter Cell this month I cant resist not too...

Wow this the worst month for us cheapass gamers. With so many good games coming out this month.

KH2
Daxter
Pursuit Force
Dark Mirror
Graw
Oblivion
Splinter Cell Essentials

[quote name='Roufuss']
I won't drop full price on one regardless of how many reviewers say its completely awesome.

I'll wait and see what Gamespot / Gamespy has to say, or better yet, wait until some gamers from here or other boards pick it up.[/quote]

:whistle2:s

[quote name='swetooth9']:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Meaning if enough people really like it, I'll pick it up when it inevitably goes on sale or has a price drop... I pretty much thought that was implied when I said "I won't drop full price on this one", I didn't say "I won't ever buy this game".

Likewise, I'm still curious about what other, more reputable reviewers have to say about it, or gamers that I know.

I hope Fry's has this on sale Weds, really interested in picking it up but I can't bring myself to pay full price for anything.

[quote name='praystation']I finished the first 3 on ps1 (despite the ugly ass graphics, so-so story, and ONE incredibly hard mission- anybody remember the one where you have to protect a truck? ) Skipped the ps2 since CDR, DVDR, DRE and MODchip"killed" my SCPH 30001 ps2.

EDIT: Now I remember. Syphon filter 3: the 11th mission: "The Convoy". The hardest part in any video games' games I have ever played. I kept trying for several hours just to pass that fucking valley with my truck almost "gone" facing multiple sharpshooters either aiming at me or trying to "nuke" my already-damaged-truck. I remember well how I had to cover both the truck and my stupid teammate who seems to have fallen in love with death.[/QUOTE]

Damn I thought I was the only one who had trouble with that. I'm not sure I ever made it through....

[quote name='javeryh']damn. it might be time to upgrade my psp from 1.5 so i can start playing the new games. i'm sure some nerd will hack the firmware so i can play my NES, SNES and GB/GBC games again...[/QUOTE]
I was on 1.5 until a few weeks ago. It only took me only a split second to get over it. If all you play are NES and GB/GBC games, perhaps look into getting a flash cart for GBA.

I don't understand the turn on of this game. It's still on my ignore list. An IGN review won't change that.

I can't believe it. The last Syphon Filter was an absolute disaster and this one is poised to become a truly great game. I guess there's still hope for a franchise after a crappy release.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I can't believe it. The last Syphon Filter was an absolute disaster and this one is poised to become a truly great game. I guess there's still hope for a franchise after a crappy release.[/QUOTE]

Alot of franchises have already done this:

Tekken 4 -> Tekken 5
MGS2 (I loved it but others seemed to hate it) -> MGS3
MGA1 -> MGA2

and many more... so it's really no surprise.

[quote name='b3b0p']I was on 1.5 until a few weeks ago. It only took me only a split second to get over it. If all you play are NES and GB/GBC games, perhaps look into getting a flash cart for GBA.

I don't understand the turn on of this game. It's still on my ignore list. An IGN review won't change that.[/quote]

other "not so good" review sites like it as well such as yahoo, etc....

but i guess i'll wait for GS

[quote name='javeryh']damn. it might be time to upgrade my psp from 1.5 so i can start playing the new games. i'm sure some nerd will hack the firmware so i can play my NES, SNES and GB/GBC games again...[/quote]

you could always get GTA liberty city stories and do that hack trick to play the emu stuff

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Alot of franchises have already done this:

Tekken 4 -> Tekken 5
MGS2 (I loved it but others seemed to hate it) -> MGS3
MGA1 -> MGA2

and many more... so it's really no surprise.[/QUOTE]
I wouldnt say the games you listed were disasters. All the games you listed some people didnt like but were still either good or decent games. The last syphon was complete trash.

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']They will find a way to play it on 1.5 my friends.........1.5 for L.I.F.E.[/quote]

not online though, or can you?

A buddy of mine--Eric Frederickson, not that you'd know him--works for Sony Bend, and sure enough, his name is printed in the god damn manual under the QA (Quality Assurance) section.

You wouldn't believe the wave of jealousy that passed over me when I saw it. He's been trying to get me in the door there for a year now, but for some reason it never works out.. either they're only looking for temporary people, or they just bring people up from Foster City.

Well, I just bought this game today...I walked into Gamestop to fully pay for a KH2 pre-order and then I saw this sitting on the shelf...I then figured if I already waited 2 years for KH2 why can't I wait longer? I'm about to play it soon....to anyone that has played online, how important is the headset?

[quote name='whoknows']to anyone that has played online, how important is the headset?[/quote]

Well, personally I didn't find the headset to be very useful. Everyone I ever play with either don't have one or don't use it.

I am, though, finding the online play a little annoying. Most times I get into a team deathmatch game it ends up being these l33t players who just spawn camp our team, not very fun IMO. Last night they were in the lobby (waiting for the game to start) talking about how they have been playing all day long ... I don't have time for that shit. I just want to get on and play with people with similar (pitiful) skills as me.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Well, personally I didn't find the headset to be very useful. Everyone I ever play with either don't have one or don't use it.

I am, though, finding the online play a little annoying. Most times I get into a team deathmatch game it ends up being these l33t players who just spawn camp our team, not very fun IMO. Last night they were in the lobby (waiting for the game to start) talking about how they have been playing all day long ... I don't have time for that shit. I just want to get on and play with people with similar (pitiful) skills as me.
[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm probably on the same level as you....once I start playing and figure out how to play we should get a game going

to anyone who has the game, is it as good as this review raves it is? because I was torn between either getting this or Splinter Cell for my PSP.

[quote name='asianxcore']to anyone who has the game, is it as good as this review raves it is? because I was torn between either getting this or Splinter Cell for my PSP.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, it deserves the good reviews it's getting. Syphon Filter is finally back, and it's DAMN good.

[quote name='mmercer13']In my opinion, it deserves the good reviews it's getting. Syphon Filter is finally back, and it's DAMN good.[/QUOTE]
After getting about 4 hours into this game I must agree with you, its very very good.

It looks to me like the only people who dislike the game are those who played the demo/beta. Everyone who owns the game seems to really like it. I cant wait to get it myself but with the recent 25 MGA2, Katamari and $20 generation of chaos ill have to wait a bit

Hmmm...I cant get online with syphon filter for some reason...I can get on fine with any other PS2 game, but with syphon filter it wont connect to the lobby...anyone know why?

[quote name='Weedy649']It looks to me like the only people who dislike the game are those who played the demo/beta. Everyone who owns the game seems to really like it. I cant wait to get it myself but with the recent 25 MGA2, Katamari and $20 generation of chaos ill have to wait a bit[/quote]

well, maybe it's either one of two things...

1. it could be that the final version is actually a lot better than the demo/beta

or

2. the people who actually bought the game are pissed that it's not as good as they wanted it to be and are trying to convince themselves that they like it by posting it on CAG

i'm hoping it's 1, but sometimes number 2 happens with games out there :D

bread's done
Back