System Update Available-Opera Updated

Took up 5 more blocks than the trial one did on my Wii.

It is a lot nicer, not that I'll use it much or anything.

Well, at least I know the REAL reason Pandora.com never worked on the Wii... Too little useable memory =(

What I wouldn't give for Pandora on my Wii...

Can you backup the internet channel to SD card?

Even if you don't need it I would get it just to avoid having to pay for it down the road should the need to use it arise.

[quote name='Scrubking']Can you backup the internet channel to SD card?

Even if you don't need it I would get it just to avoid having to pay for it down the road should the need to use it arise.[/quote]

Yep. I just put mine on the SD card.

i'm not sure how it would work really... but you should be able to change the icons for your favorites. the setup they have on the "my opera" page, under "top sites," is pretty slick... using larger logos like they automatically give you for yahoo, google, nintendo... instead of fullpage screengrabs of the sites.

Thanks for the heads up. Why do the Wii's updates always mention parental controls when they're finished and not give details on what the update does?

Heh... I didn't know how to get the update, so I deleted my Internet Channel before I looked in the shop channel. Whoops. :lol:

Works really well, everything is so much slicker now. YouTube works great with the hidden toolbar.

I guess they dropped the "www." and ".com" button functionality that they were planning though.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']any idea what the update includes? ill download it later tonight, but im just wondering[/QUOTE]
What the thread title says. It allows you to download the final version of the Opera browser from the Wii Shop.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Does it still crash sometimes?[/quote]

They added error messages, so we might be seeing those instead of a frozen screen and a beeping sound next time we encounter a website that would otherwise crash our Wiis. For instance, Pandora used to put the Wii in a reload loop and then send me back to the Opera homepage, but now it informs me via a popup that there isn't enough memory and asks if I want to try reloading it or not. That kicks ass, but it still isn't running Pandora =*(

I still can't get Orb running on Wii. I think it's a firewall problem in my router, but I don't really want to go through and try to fix it. :/

Seems faster now...and some nice added features.

First thing I did when trying the browser out was search but the second thing was the cagcast in the flash player. Sadly it doesn't work. Love the search and zoom features tho and it is a very awesome upgrade way to go Nintendo.

Cool, time to get my system back from my brother. He's a big sports fan, so he's been playing Madden and (naturally) Wii Sports. Time for him to get his own. ;)

Actually, I haven't downloaded the News or Weather channels yet either. Hmmm, which new toy to play with first?

Aww. I wish I was home. As soon as I get home, I'm soo downloading it. I'm looking forward to the improvements, even if I don't plan on using the browser a lot.

Does anyone know if there were any other system updates aside from parental controls (as always)? The browser seems like a 'big' release, and it would make sense to release additional updates to the Wii itself along with it (then again, that's just my opinion).

[quote name='PyroGamer']So is this the pay version of Opera, or is it still free?

How long will it be free for?[/quote]It'll be free till July. Keep in mind, though, that in July not every will have to pay for it. If you download it between now and July, it's free for you forever.

[quote name='daroga']It'll be free till July. Keep in mind, though, that in July not every will have to pay for it. If you download it between now and July, it's free for you forever.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

That's good, I'll definitely have a Wii by July.

Darn it. I saw the light last night and ignored it. Looking forward to installing this and taking it for a test drive when I get home from work.

that's killer, i know what i'm doing when I get home tonight now. does it write over the trial version of the browser? can you delete the trial browser to free up room?

One last question...how do you run the broswer from the sd card, or is it just storing it on the sd card for when you need it?

I'm hearing good things around the net that this version is much better, i look forward to it.

[quote name='tomfoolery']
One last question...how do you run the broswer from the sd card, or is it just storing it on the sd card for when you need it?[/quote]

I think people are just storing it on their own SD cards for backup reasons. You can't run anything from the SD card as of yet...

I got a question: Is the browser full screen? As in, does it take up the entire space available on the television?

[quote name='tomfoolery']that's killer, i know what i'm doing when I get home tonight now. does it write over the trial version of the browser? can you delete the trial browser to free up room?

One last question...how do you run the broswer from the sd card, or is it just storing it on the sd card for when you need it?

I'm hearing good things around the net that this version is much better, i look forward to it.[/quote]

It writes over the 'Trial Version' so you don't need to delete it. And you can only store it on the SD; it will not run from there.

Heh, the first time I tried using the upgraded browser, the thing locked my Wii up. I actually had to pull the power plug to reset it.

Only had a chance to play with it for a few minutes before I had to go to work, but I think it's MUCH nicer. You can actually read the text (AMAZING!) and the scaling is now incremental instead of just normal or large. My wife didn't care for the browser before, but she said she really likes it now.

BTW, it overwrites the old browser.

R~

It is a improvement over the beta version of Oprea.

Still it you can't use it to watch any videos at gametrailers :bomb:

I am gonna keep it on my wii though it's great for surfing the web with, it when i don't feel like messing with my pc.

Yeah, it's pretty good right now. They could still definitely improve things here and there, so hopefully they don't leave it at this and not keep working on it.

does youtube still not work? i get the usual message saying that i need an updated version of java or something..

Yeah, YouTube worked for me without a hitch, both on the full version and the trial.

Really like the improvements. Being able to hide the nav bar is great for playing flash games and watching YouTube movies. And the improved text zoom makes reading pages much more functional (though still not as nifty as the flying text on the News Channel).

Nice job, Nintendo...or Opera...or whoever.

bread's done
Back