Tablets

Aerc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I'm interested in getting a tablet. The main use would be reading, but twitter and some games would be nice. Since I have a decent size collection of books on the Kindle store, I was thinking of getting a Kindle Fire. Though supposedly the next Kindle is coming out in a month or so. I was thinking Ipad 3, but for $499, it seems like a bit much for a device which primarily will be used for reading. I'd prefer some sort of Android tablet if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a Kindle Fire and it is good for reading and supports a decent amount of apps from the android marketplace. You could wait and see if a new Kibfle is released in a month or so but I personally have not heard by thing about a new Kindle coming out.

Also if you want a pricier tablet my friend has a Toshiba Thrive and says it is good and it is practically a small netbook with everything it can do.

As far as I know both iOS and Android have a Kindle App for reading.

Asus Transformer. It's a little bit bulkier than the iPad, but if you want an Android Tablet this one came out last year and can be found for around $300. 10.1 inch screen and if you ever want to, you can buy the keyboard dock for it and basically turn it into an Android powered laptop. Pretty nifty.

Asus transformer, or Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1. I personally own a samsung a really like it. No wrong answer here, but I would go to best buy and try them all out to see what you like the most.

[quote name='PDJ']Asus transformer, or Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1. I personally own a samsung a really like it. No wrong answer here, but I would go to best buy and try them all out to see what you like the most.[/QUOTE]

I agree in going to a best buy and just playing around with the tablets for a bit. I don't have any tablets but have been looking for one also. So far I feel comfortable with the Ipad compare to some of the other tablets but haven't convinced myself so far.

I am sure many will disagree with me, but I would suggest going iPad. I have a little tablet experience (NookColor, Xoom, Asus Transformer, Xoom FE, HP Touchpad, iPad 3) and I've given android many chances. The main problem you start to see with android is the future, which is not a problem with the iPad.

Lets look at the Xoom FE. When this released, it was on android 3.1 despite 3.2 being out. The original Xoom was given 4.0 (ICS), but the FE was still on 3.1. While the FE was brand new, cost more and all that, it wasn't expected to get ICS till Q2?! The update came out in December and it takes 5+ months to port it to your device? The Xyboard, which was another updated Xoom was expected for Q3... so you start to see painfully slow updates. This is a problem across android and while you can root it, not everyone is looking for that much effort. A lot of tablets go in a limbo waiting for an update.

For this alone I went iPad, though if you're okay with being on one firmware for a while or hacking it... you might want to try one at BestBuy.

[quote name='admiralvic']The main problem you start to see with android is the future, which is not a problem with the iPad. [/QUOTE]
Actually based on trends, Android will overtake iOS in the near future. Both OSes will coexist and both do a nice job albeit differently. And in case you think i'm talking shit, here's one of many articles. And the Kindle Fire now has a 16.8% market share, not too shabby for a device that was released last fall. ;)
http://www.cultofandroid.com/6035/i...cast-predicts-android-overtaking-ios-by-2016/

I have 3 tablets (2) Android, (1) WebOS, and I plan on buying a new 3rd gen iPad possibly tomorrow.

I kind of like the Asus Transformer. How active is the rooting community and the availability of custom roms?

[quote name='Aerc']I kind of like the Asus Transformer. How active is the rooting community and the availability of custom roms?[/QUOTE]

I have the Asus Transformer, and the community is nice. Especially with the ICS update it runs a lot better.

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/forum.php

I originally had an iPad, and then I didnt use it other than in class, so I switched to the Asus Transformer for the memory slot and HDMI. I like being able to use it on my TV and run movies on it, and can transfer movies/data easily thru the memory card instead of having to connect it each time like the iPad.

I have an iPad 2 and love it. Can't beat the thinness, weight and app selection. Apple's walled garden approach bothered me before hand, but my tablet uses are pretty simple so it doesn't effect me as I don't care about customizing things, having multiple stores to get apps from etc.

If I was buying one today I'd get the new iPad as the retina screen is awesome.

Personally, I have no interest in the transformers etc. as I don't use my tablet as a laptop replacement. I'll always have a work-provided laptop, so my tablet is just for stuff like reading PDFs, newspapers, magazines and books, surfing the net (other than forums), checking e-mail, facebook, online banking, games etc.

It's just a supplement to my laptop for things I don't like the laptop form factor for basically.

[quote name='Aerc']I kind of like the Asus Transformer. How active is the rooting community and the availability of custom roms?[/QUOTE]
I've got one of the original Transformers and it runs great. The custom rom community is very active on the original and the Prime. I get all my stuff for the Transformer from XDA Developers website. I just recently did the move to ICS custom rom, to give the developers time to work out the kinks, and the damn thing speedy and smooth. I was debating getting the Prime but I currently don't have a need for it. Here is the one I'm using http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1534648.

bread's done
Back