Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='Trikip']Do you guys live in the same area or something?[/quote]

That we do, though I rarely find anything at the local stores. Then again, I limit myself to Genesis/PS1/PS2/Xbox stuff, since those are the four systems I have currently.

Of course, I went wild grabbing games for the Genny a while ago and I haven't even tried many of them yet, though some were just ones I wanted to rebuy for my collection. And now, I find myself rethinking that whole 'collecting' thing, since I doubt I'll ever complete them all.

:whistle2:#

[quote name='facemeat']In the past couple days, here's what I've picked up:
Animal Crossing: WW cart only - $1.97 (!!!!)
Atari Flashback 2 MIB - $3.97 (!!)
Marvel vs. Capcom (DC) disc only - $0.99 (!!!!)
Splinter Cell: PT (XB) disc only - $0.99
From Russia With Love (XB) disc only - $0.99
Fable (XB) disc only - $0.99
Kakuto Chojin (XB) disc only - $0.99
Blazing Angels (XB360) disc only - $0.99 (!)
Rallisport (XB) disc only - $0.99
Ecco the Dolphin (DC) no manual - $0.99
Rayman 2 (DC) no manual - $2.99
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES) cart only - $2.99

All that I got in 2 days. Two f***ing awesome days.[/quote]

Dude, your PM box has been full for like a week.....

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Dude, your PM box has been full for like a week.....[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. I totally got sidetracked with other things. I'll go clear it out and give you FB.

Major old school score today at my local GW.

NES
720 x2
American Gladiators
Arch Rivals
Bases Loaded
Adventures of Bayou Billy
Big Nose the Caveman
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Captain Skyhawk
Castlevania II Simon's Quest
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Contra
Crystalis
Adventures of Dino-Riki
Final Fantasy
The Goonies II
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jaws
Legend of Zelda x2
Life Force
Marble Madness
Metroid
Mickey Mousecapade
Ninja Gaiden II
Pro Wrestling
P.O.W
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Rad Racer
Rampage
Rygar
Spelunker
Spy Hunter
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros 3 x2
T&C Surf Designs
Tetris x2
Total Recall
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles x3
Tiger Heli x2

SNES
Batman Forever
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
Mario Paint
NBA Jam
Pilotwings
SimCity
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario All Stars (Might be broken)
Tournament Fighters

PS1
Oddworld Abe's Exodus
Resident Evil Survivor

Today was 50% off day so I got . . .

Total 60 Games
Total Spent $63
NES & SNES Games $1 Each
PS1 Games $2.50 Each

They are pretty dirty and lots have the owner's name in permanent marker, but what the hell! I hear the Mr. Clean sponges do pretty good for removing that.

Good luck to all!
Today was 50% off day so

Guitar Hero III (Wii) bundle - $49.99 - 20% coupon $25+ for donating = $39.99.

Not bad considering I can play it till I get bored and send it to Nintendo for $132.

[quote name='willc23']Major old school score today at my local GW.

NES
720 x2
American Gladiators
Arch Rivals
Bases Loaded
Adventures of Bayou Billy
Big Nose the Caveman
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Captain Skyhawk
Castlevania II Simon's Quest
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Contra
Crystalis
Adventures of Dino-Riki
Final Fantasy
The Goonies II
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jaws
Legend of Zelda x2
Life Force
Marble Madness
Metroid
Mickey Mousecapade
Ninja Gaiden II
Pro Wrestling
P.O.W
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Rad Racer
Rampage
Rygar
Spelunker
Spy Hunter
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros 3 x2
T&C Surf Designs
Tetris x2
Total Recall
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles x3
Tiger Heli x2

SNES
Batman Forever
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
Mario Paint
NBA Jam
Pilotwings
SimCity
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario All Stars (Might be broken)
Tournament Fighters

PS1
Oddworld Abe's Exodus
Resident Evil Survivor

Today was 50% off day so I got . . .

Total 60 Games
Total Spent $63
NES & SNES Games $1 Each
PS1 Games $2.50 Each

They are pretty dirty and lots have the owner's name in permanent marker, but what the hell! I hear the Mr. Clean sponges do pretty good for removing that.

Good luck to all!
Today was 50% off day so[/QUOTE]

WOW!! great haul!!, i hate you!! lol, j/k....and i thought i had a great haul the other day.:roll:

I picked up Final Fantasy VII and IX both complete, black label, and in excellent condition for 3 bucks a piece. Just put them on Ebay awhile ago and combined they sold for about 85 bucks.

[quote name='andrewfour20']I picked up Final Fantasy VII and IX both complete, black label, and in excellent condition for 3 bucks a piece. Just put them on Ebay awhile ago and combined they sold for about 85 bucks.[/quote]

NICE FFVII for $3 aint bad, out of the 4 copy's i found this year only one was $3 and it was disk's only.

so I sadly don't have goodwill out here, but i have a DI and a Savers. and im not entirely sure but im pretty sure that Savers believes that every piece of crap in that store is worth at least $5. what ever happened to these guys being thrift stores??? freaking DI gets their crap for free and still its way jacked up. stupid thrift stores.

i had a hard time passing up Elmo's Letter Adventure/sarcasm
seriously my goodwill has been dry for month's

during marching band season we usually stop by a town center to eat
i gobble mine down fast to check out the goodwill there
last time i went there i picked up DDR konamix, Marvel Vs. Capcom (both ps1 and disc only) for $1.25
then i spotted Sonic 3 for the genesis in mint condition and picked it up for $2

Just picked up Mario Party 8 for Wii. $15 - emp. discount - $11.25. Not too bad. I'll probably end up trading it in to GS for the Mario Kart deal, or just selling/trading it.

Well, today I picked up
:pc:
Gabriel Knight 3 $3.99 (complete in big box)
:gc:
2x Wavebirds $4.99 each (they are a bit dirty and sadly they are missing the receivers :cry:. I looked everywhere, either they weren't donated or whomever donated them didn't tape/bag them together and the people that work there didn't know what the receivers were. I hope they weren't thrown out. :cry: :cry:. Anyone know of a good (read as cheap) place to get replacement receivers? I wasn't expecting the receivers to cost more than the controllers on fleabay or I may have passed on them.)

I passed on a game gear for $9.99.

I also found a Bell & Howell Zoomatic 8mm camera with case like the one Zapruder used. It's been hanging out at my nearest Goodwill with a price tag of $50 for a month or two, today I happen to stop in and wouldn't you know it, it's price tag was green, the $0.99 color for the week.:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: I was sure they'd tell me that it was a mistake when I took it up to the checkout, but she didn't.

[quote name='mguiddy']Well, today I picked up
:pc:
Gabriel Knight 3 $3.99 (complete in big box)
:gc:
2x Wavebirds $4.99 each (they are a bit dirty and sadly they are missing the receivers :cry:. I looked everywhere, either they weren't donated or whomever donated them didn't tape/bag them together and the people that work there didn't know what the receivers were. I hope they weren't thrown out. :cry: :cry:. Anyone know of a good (read as cheap) place to get replacement receivers? I wasn't expecting the receivers to cost more than the controllers on fleabay or I may have passed on them.)

I passed on a game gear for $9.99.

I also found a Bell & Howell Zoomatic 8mm camera with case like the one Zapruder used. It's been hanging out at my nearest Goodwill with a price tag of $50 for a month or two, today I happen to stop in and wouldn't you know it, it's price tag was green, the $0.99 color for the week.:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: I was sure they'd tell me that it was a mistake when I took it up to the checkout, but she didn't.[/quote]

I looked and watched EBay for 6 months after finding a pawn unit for $5, finally broke down and ordered it with a few battery covers from nintendo.com not cheap, but net, still good deal.

[quote name='donut']I looked and watched EBay for 6 months after finding a pawn unit for $5, finally broke down and ordered it with a few battery covers from nintendo.com not cheap, but net, still good deal.[/quote]
Unfortunately the nintendo store doesn't have the receivers in stock.:cry:

I got Counter Strike: Condition Zero for $1.99-half off tag=$.99.

Its pretty useless though because someone already registered the CD key on steam, so I can't play multiplayer. Does anyone have a CD key I can use?

[quote name='donut']I looked and watched EBay for 6 months after finding a pawn unit for $5, finally broke down and ordered it with a few battery covers from nintendo.com not cheap, but net, still good deal.[/QUOTE]

what he said. i moved my gamecube and somehow lost my wavebird receiver about a year ago and the only place i could find the replacement was nintendo.com

well, my SA's good luck stirkes again, they sold the PS1 with no controller for $20 after only beign on the shelf for 1.5 weeks!!

[quote name='Sinnbox']well, my SA's good luck stirkes again, they sold the PS1 with no controller for $20 after only beign on the shelf for 1.5 weeks!![/QUOTE]

Either that or it got stolen. Or thrown away.

Over the past couple of visits I picked up
DSC01448.jpg

The NES and PC games were half off. I found Mystic Defender during my lunch hour, and it is complete.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Either that or it got stolen. Or thrown away.[/quote]
Or discounted.

[quote name='GoAztecs']Over the past couple of visits I picked up
DSC01448.jpg
The NES and PC games were half off. I found Mystic Defender during my lunch hour, and it is complete.[/quote]

I hate when they write stuff on the actual item. My wavebirds have 4.99 wrote on the back.:bomb:

Is that B on mystic defender from a permanent marker? I don't understand why stores write on stuff. It's just stupid... No one wants a product that looks like crap.

That B is written in crayon (or something similar) and comes off with a little work. It bothers me too when they write on it but I guess it helps the people who stock the shelves.

I had a shocking find last week at the Goodwill in Charlottesville VA:

Uncharted Waters, Genesis, complete, $1.95
Super Famicom (!!??) $9.95

I was happy enough to find Uncharted Waters, but I said "Do you believe it??" when my boyfriend and I found the Famicom. He's a big Nintendo geek too so I know he was jealous. But I'm the one who made him stop at Goodwill in the first place, so I got dibs.

There was an N64 ($9.95) that I passed on. It could have been Japanese too but I didn't think to look at the time.

The SF is missing the power adapter, which is OK since I'll probably have to track one that will work with US voltage anyway.

Definitely one of the most unexpected things I've ever found in the wild.

They also had a very nice Saturn set -- system, 2 controllers, and around 8 complete games like Sonic 3D, Bubble Bobble 2, Baku Baku Animal. They wanted $49.95, so I passed. Though it was probably the nicest, most complete Saturn I've ever seen in the wild.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Either that or it got stolen. Or thrown away.[/quote]

No they never throw electronics away, or send them to other stores, and i wasnt stolen I was sitting right at the checkout. THey have alot of Cds and records there that have been there for years....anyone want old BSB or Britney cd's they have tons, lol. and they never discount....the lady seems to think that any system sells for $100+ at walmart and never budges anymore since she foundout that most of us that buy there resell on Ebay.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Holy fuck I would kill for a SFC. All my goodwill has is an old closet smell and a chick with a mustache. A bunch of VHS and vinyls too.[/quote]

LOL, I think you just described 90% of the goodwills/SA's in the Nation.....including the chick with the mustache... My store even has a guy with a constanly runny nose....He tried to grow a mustache......not a good idea.....EWW i'm cringing at the thought....

[quote name='Sinnbox']LOL, I think you just described 90% of the goodwills/SA's in the Nation.....including the chick with the mustache... My store even has a guy with a constanly runny nose....He tried to grow a mustache......not a good idea.....EWW i'm cringing at the thought....[/quote]

It's not even a different girl. I've been to a lot. Always the same people. The only game related thing they had at my cheap stores was a genesis. But it was overpriced...And didn't have cords. And it was dirty. So until some mad man drops off all his gaming stuff, there's nothing.

The places to check are thrift stores that buy from reposesed U-Store Units...they always have the good stuff. A store here got some collectors storage unit afew weeks ago. Everything fron NES to Dreamcast/PS@/GC....It was amazing I got there early picked up the most rare stuff for $4 apiece then go there at 6 pm for the everyhtings a dollar rush and got about 50 games, all in all near mint condition...the guy had his initials on all of them.....If your initals are JDV and you recently lost posession of a storage unit I have your collection....

OHRAM - I see you were in an earthquake...was it on friday? I live in Indiana and we had a earthquake it was crazy....since when does Indiana have earthquakes?

all the goodwills in cleveland smell like pee. i never find anything good except for some obscure cassette tapes. the only games i've ever found were ultimate basketall for nes and super punch out for snes. they were 50 cents each.

I've attempted to conduct a "survey" of local Goodwills to see if this is true, but am I the only one who notices a distinct "Goodwill smell" in every store? It's a mix of disinfectant and mothballs. Every Goodwill I've been in smells like it (just like every Target smells like stale popcorn).

Yesterday I picked up Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 3, and FFVII PC for $10 total. I felt great until I realized that FFVII only had disks 1-3. It does have the manual and cardboard case that it came in though.

Any ideas where I can find disk 4?

[quote name='yourlefthand']Yesterday I picked up Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 3, and FFVII PC for $10 total. I felt great until I realized that FFVII only had disks 1-3. It does have the manual and cardboard case that it came in though.

Any ideas where I can find disk 4?[/quote]

FF VII only has 3 discs. Resume feeling great.

[quote name='schuerm26']FF VII only has 3 discs. Resume feeling great.[/quote]

FFVII for PC has four discs.

The fourth disc is the Installation disc.

[quote name='Mileron']FFVII for PC has four discs.

The fourth disc is the Installation disc.[/quote]

Oh sorry, I thought PC meant Player's Choice as in the Green Label Greatest Hits. Nevermind then, resume sadness.

[quote name='schuerm26']Oh sorry, I thought PC meant Player's Choice as in the Green Label Greatest Hits. Nevermind then, resume sadness.[/quote]

Oh! I thought it meant "Personal Computer." I guess there's a 50% chance either way! :)

[quote name='DarkRider23']Is that B on mystic defender from a permanent marker? I don't understand why stores write on stuff. It's just stupid... No one wants a product that looks like crap.[/quote]

Not everyone who buys stuff at SA or GW is a collector or looking to Ebay their finds though. You have to think about it from the perspective of the everyday shmoe who comes in and goes 'oh damn I had that as a kid' and picks it up to play on the dusty system they still have at their parents house stored in the attic or basement.

Mind you, I never find ANYTHING good at my local thrift shops, but I think that's because my fellow local CAGs clean anything GOOD out and/or I stop in there on the WRONG fuckin' days. They never have ANYTHING gaming related when I stop in.

Of course, when they DO have stuff, it's typically some overpriced system or some common games that're priced $4-5 each for disc/cart only stuff.

[quote name='Mileron']Oh! I thought it meant "Personal Computer." I guess there's a 50% chance either way! :)[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'm talking about the personal computer version. Oh well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not everyone who buys stuff at SA or GW is a collector or looking to Ebay their finds though. You have to think about it from the perspective of the everyday shmoe who comes in and goes 'oh damn I had that as a kid' and picks it up to play on the dusty system they still have at their parents house stored in the attic or basement.

Mind you, I never find ANYTHING good at my local thrift shops, but I think that's because my fellow local CAGs clean anything GOOD out and/or I stop in there on the WRONG fuckin' days. They never have ANYTHING gaming related when I stop in.

Of course, when they DO have stuff, it's typically some overpriced system or some common games that're priced $4-5 each for disc/cart only stuff.[/QUOTE]

hey man do you live in the pittston/inkerman area?

I picked up Super Mario Land 2 for the Gameboy for $2.49. I think I mentioned my Mario Party 8 wii for $13, sold it on ebay for $38.

grabbed Armored Core 2 for the PS2 yesterday at a goodwill, for $8, it was in like new condition.

about 3 months back at the same goodwill i found 5 of the Zelda Wii carry bags for $6 each, i grabbed 2, 1 for me, 1 for a friend, they were new still in the package.

Got a few SNES games for 2.99 a piece,

Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire
TMNT: Turtles In Time
Civilization

Needless to say, I was very happy.

:360: Call Of Duty 4 (sealed) - $24.99

- A Target salvage because the disk was rattling inside the case. It's scratch-free. :)

[quote name='joldko']hey man do you live in the pittston/inkerman area?[/quote]

I live up in Scranton actually. I'm still trying to find out where the HELL they moved that thrift store that was on the main drag in West Pittston to, since someone said they moved to some back street someplace. I went up and down the side roads trying to find them.

[quote name='Undrallio']Got a few SNES games for 2.99 a piece,

Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire
TMNT: Turtles In Time
Civilization

Needless to say, I was very happy.[/quote]

man...fuck you. haha.

[quote name='Irukandji']man...fuck you. haha.[/quote]

Gotta love how he casualy mentioned Chrono Trigger, most people are lke OMG WTF LOZ ROFL BRB I just got chrono trigger....ok maybe not the BRB. you know what i mean.

I visited my local GW and SA last Saturday and they are absolutely depressing (I knew this for awhile but it's really bad now). The two stores are rundown (especially SA, it's a two floor store and the stairs to the 2nd floor are creaky as hell) and they rarely have video games or DVDs. When they do, it's crappy beat-up games/DVDs marked up to hell. But what do you expect from these two stores? They're located on a road where the predominant scenery are dilapidated vacant buildings (one particular building across from the SA -- the "Plaza" theater -- has been vacant for more than 20 years!) and businesses have been dropping dead for years.

My best luck has been with smaller church-affiliated thrift shops and yard sales.

bread's done
Back