Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

Oh how I wish I could find a copy of mario allstars that cheap lol.

I still remember when a friend of mine gave me mario rpg for free because he didn't like it lol.

I did see a Roomba vacume cleaner at my SA today but didn't want to spend $30 on a "As-Is" item.

roomba_1.jpg

[quote name='omg itz adam']your goodwills are awesome becuase mine try selling Duck Hunt only for 10$[/quote]

I know how it is, we have a thrift store here who seem to think that NES carts should be 20 bucks but they half off days.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Oh how I wish I could find a copy of mario allstars that cheap lol. [/quote]

Not a goodwill story, but I just nabbed a copy at the local pawnshop for $3.00 not too long ago. Quite a steal, although I'm actually putting it on ebay tommorow along with my other SNES carts.

Anyways, Goodwill... I haven't been there in a couple months, but I am always amazed at the stuff you find at the goodwill store. It's not gaming related, but I was pretty surprised to find a Utada Hikaru cd in the rack the last time I went there. I was able to score a couple good Dreamcast games on my previous visit like Soulcalibur, and altough it's not quite my bag, they had a lot of older CIB PC games like Riven and Unreal Tournament. I'm glad this thread is here, it reminded me I haven't been in a while and should probably check and see what they have tommorow.

Not so much game related, but I got a brand new iTrip (back with 3g Ipods were the newest ones) for $5 (contrary to #50) and a SNES for 5 bucks with cords and two controllers.
I love salvation armys in Iowa. Here in Utah they are pillaged to hell.
Oh I also got a 20 inch stereo TV for 10 bucks, and turned around at the end of the summer and sold it on craigslist for $60. That's turning a profit!

I found two PlayStation controllers, one 3rd Party, one official dualshock 1. And get this two Genesis controllers taped to a Playstation! And at my Goodwill.

I found Ninja Gaiden and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, both for xbox, for $6 each at my local goodwill not too long ago.

Sweet. I got a new and sealed Iron Man 2-disc special edition. The one with Downey in it. For $8. There was also a Transformers Movie special edition, but didn't buy since I'm not a fan of Bay movies and those butt ugly new designs.

This is more of a question than a find, but, I read about places like Taget sending their reduced games to a "SALVAGE" type place, which, I am assuming is goodwill. How is it possible to find where the one closest to me might be? Is that possible?

[quote name='jjhearn']This is more of a question than a find, but, I read about places like Taget sending their reduced games to a "SALVAGE" type place, which, I am assuming is goodwill. How is it possible to find where the one closest to me might be? Is that possible?[/quote]
I used to find tons of stuff at my closest Goodwills that came from Target, including a lot of the clearanced video games. Unfortunately, it's been months since I saw anything from Target. :cry: I don't know if Target's been sending their stuff somewhere new, if they rotate which Goodwills receive the Target stuff, or if Target does something else with the clearance stuff (like sell it on Amazon, which they did with some of the clearanced stuff a couple of months back).
If you are looking to find a Goodwill near you, check out their store locator. I haven't used it recently, but it used to search by "region" not by a mile radius... that is, if I put in the zip code I live in, it would show the stores in whatever region I'm in, but it wouldn't show a store that is about 10 miles away that is in a different region. So you might want to check a few zip codes that are near you, not just the one you live in. The only way I can think of to find out if a Goodwill receive items from Target is to call and ask.

Goodwill: Several PSP and DS games, all Ben10. Petz Wii. And some PC games complete in box including Half-Life and Quake II.
Salvation Army: A GameCube with A-List games, like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart Wii. They weren't willing to sell them seperately.

Mixed in with the CD's I found nearly complete (minus the cardboard outer box) copies of the TG16 games Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, and Keith Courage. Even sweeter, the cashier sold them for the CD price of $3 each!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I saw at the SA two sets of Donkey Kongas, one official, one Pelican, $15 each.[/quote]
ouch, i bought mine at goodwill (official version) for $2.50.

[quote name='dcgm']15 CD-i games, including a complete Zelda: Wand of Gamelon

What do I win? :D[/QUOTE]

My sympathies?

Okay you can eBay them for some money... especially the Zelda titles. Especially since the Angry Video Game Nerd totally ripped them apart in his recent episodes.

I got my deal of the year I think at Goodwill today, Klonoa: Door to Phatomile, complete in mint condition, and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature brand new and sealed, although with a few cracks in the case. 3 dollars each. Any clue what I'll get for these on eBay?

[quote name='Demolition Man']My sympathies?

Okay you can eBay them for some money... especially the Zelda titles. Especially since the Angry Video Game Nerd totally ripped them apart in his recent episodes.
[/quote]
Haha. Well, I'm a collector, so no ebaying for me. Although Zelda is so shitty that it was almost painful to play :D

Got another WICKED deal. Apparently a couple hours before I came in, some person sold a lot of 10 NES games, which goodwill priced at 10.21. Among the lot were a 100% mint Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Bros. 3.

Funny how the retro shop is right next door ( I mean literally, they nearly share a building ffs). The owner is always competing with me for retro deals. Looks like I bested him again :D

You guys score big at your thrift shops. When it comes to video games, they'll either have Madden 2004 or something else really lame like old sports Genesis games or common NES games and jack up the prices heavily.

A lot of Goodwills I've been to have the logic of "um, it's really old, so it's gotta be worth something!" on electronics.

Nothing special, but a genesis, with a controller, sonic and knuckles for $4.99
also picked up Tecmo Superbowl for genesis for a buck.

I guess this makes sense going here, but I went to a local church thrift store and got Shining the Holy Ark for Sega Saturn for 89 cents (disc only - sorta dinged up and no way for me to test if it works since I don't have Saturn and no one I know does). I got Sol-Feace (disc with the cardboard case - I think this may have been a pack-in at one point - it works!) for Sega CD, and Cool Spot (complete!) for Genesis and Rocket Knight Adventures (complete!) a couple months ago there, too. I think someone dumped their Sega collection there. Last time I went there Clockwork Knight for Saturn was there, too.

All the Sal-Vals around here charge ridiculous for games, etc. As does Savers. $7 for a Genesis game (cart only) is a bit steep, imo.

[quote name='hopeunknown']I guess this makes sense going here, but I went to a local church thrift store and got Shining the Holy Ark for Sega Saturn for 89 cents (disc only - sorta dinged up and no way for me to test if it works since I don't have Saturn and no one I know does). I got Sol-Feace (disc with the cardboard case - I think this may have been a pack-in at one point - it works!) for Sega CD, and Cool Spot (complete!) for Genesis and Rocket Knight Adventures (complete!) a couple months ago there, too. I think someone dumped their Sega collection there. Last time I went there Clockwork Knight for Saturn was there, too.

All the Sal-Vals around here charge ridiculous for games, etc. As does Savers. $7 for a Genesis game (cart only) is a bit steep, imo.[/quote]

Yep...
Sol-Feace was a pack in when the Sega CD originally came out (maybe later too... I don't know since I got mine near launch)... along with Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, A Sega Classics disc with 4 games (Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Columns) , a CD+G disc, and a Music Sampler CD.
Quite possibly the most impressive pack in bundle ever, in my opinion.

[quote name='mguiddy']Yep...
Sol-Feace was a pack in when the Sega CD originally came out (maybe later too... I don't know since I got mine near launch)... along with Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, A Sega Classics disc with 4 games (Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Columns) , a CD+G disc, and a Music Sampler CD.
Quite possibly the most impressive pack in bundle ever, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing about Sol-Feace being part of the pack in bundle for the 1st Sega CD Model. Nice find I'm thinking it's only worth a few bucks tops but it was my favorite out of all the pack in stuff with the 1st Sega CD and surely a lot harder to come across then Sewer Shark :) I had a 1st model Sega CD way back and am happy that I still have Sol-Feace around as I don't think I still have all of the games/software the Sega CD came with mentioned by mguiddy.

I'm pretty sure the pack in stuff you mention mguiddy was only for the 1st Sega CD and I don't seem to remember it being around too long.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I was going to say the same thing about Sol-Feace being part of the pack in bundle for the 1st Sega CD Model. Nice find I'm thinking it's only worth a few bucks tops but it was my favorite out of all the pack in stuff with the 1st Sega CD and surely a lot harder to come across then Sewer Shark :) I had a 1st model Sega CD way back and am happy that I still have Sol-Feace around as I don't think I still have all of the games/software the Sega CD came with mentioned by mguiddy.

I'm pretty sure the pack in stuff you mention mguiddy was only for the 1st Sega CD and I don't seem to remember it being around too long.[/quote]
I also had Sewer Shark... I bought mine retail... :lol: I thought it was fun... not good, but fun... for a while, then I wanted to throw it.
Sol-Feace was good, but my favorite pack in was Sherlock Holmes... I loved that game. Willy Beamish was also great...

I think I read somewhere that only the first 500k units had that pack in bundle.

Ah, I had the 2nd Sega CD model. I have the Sherlock Holmes and 6 in 1 Classics from Funcoland, I think. God I miss Funcoland and the fact all games were mostly under $5! :(

[quote name='mguiddy']Sol-Feace was good, but my favorite pack in was Sherlock Holmes... I loved that game. Willy Beamish was also great...[/QUOTE]

I never really got into Sherlock Holmes, not sure if it was too serious complicated or exactly why it didn't really strike my interest. Willy Beamish on the hand I really liked I bought it shortly after it came out and played through it, I might even still have a map I made up for the end of the game.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I never really got into Sherlock Holmes, not sure if it was too serious complicated or exactly why it didn't really strike my interest. Willy Beamish on the hand I really liked I bought it shortly after it came out and played through it, I might even still have a map I made up for the end of the game.[/quote]

Speaking of Willy Beamish you can get the full game for computer at Abandonia.com and it works on XP. I bought that game when it came out for the computer. Played it again about a month ago and it was a bit out of date but still entertaining.

I saw a Sega CD at the local Goodwill for 14 - worth it? Games for 2.99 and an extra controller for 2.99?

I did pick up the following deals:

GTA Liberty City Stories - 2.99
DDR Game - 2.99
Random CDs - $1 -$3
Dreamcast Japanese Import Racing Game - $2
Golfclubs:

Taylormade 3 - $2
Taylormade Driver - $2
Nike Putter - $2

[quote name='dcgm']15 CD-i games, including a complete Zelda: Wand of Gamelon

What do I win? :D[/QUOTE]

That could be one of the greatest or worst pickups ever depending on how much you paid.

I find myself going to goodwill more and more often(i'll be going once I get off work in a moment). Here's last week's find:

-Mario Bros(not the mario/duckhunt one)
-Metroid
-Ghosts N' Goblins
-Kid Icarus

There was a whole stack of DC games, but the only real worthwhile one was sonic adventure so I snagged that.

All for $3 each. The NES cartridges were MINT, I still cannot believe just how flawless they are

Wow, ok maybe some vintage game experts can help me out here...

I dropped by my local Goodwill and ended up scoring multiple sealed copies of the games Dragonheart for the Saturn and Time Killers for Genesis. Also got a copy of Exo Squad, also sealed. I've checked and I can't find any prices for new versions of these, so I was wondering how much to price it at. Also picked up Mortal Kombat, RIB Baseball 4, NBA Showdown 94, NBA Jam, NBA Live 95, and Ballz (all for Genesis)

The genesis games were .99 each, and the Saturn were $3 a pop

[quote name='trezzi']Wow, ok maybe some vintage game experts can help me out here...

I dropped by my local Goodwill and ended up scoring multiple sealed copies of the games Dragonheart for the Saturn and Time Killers for Genesis. Also got a copy of Exo Squad, also sealed. I've checked and I can't find any prices for new versions of these, so I was wondering how much to price it at. Also picked up Mortal Kombat, RIB Baseball 4, NBA Showdown 94, NBA Jam, NBA Live 95, and Ballz (all for Genesis)

The genesis games were .99 each, and the Saturn were $3 a pop[/quote]

If Im not mistaken Time Killers for the Genesis sells for 30 to 40 complete. So sealed would probably be more. $70-90?

I hit up a Goodwill today and snagged some NES games.

Fester's Quest MIB for $2.97. Everything's there... manual, poster even the NES subsription mail-in.

I also got Narc and Dragon Warrior both with sleeves for $1.97 each.

There was another "thieved" game, The Immortal, for $2.97. It looked like somene stole the game apparently, leaving the box on the top shelf, and the Nintendo sleeve for it hidden behind 8-tracks below, oddly enough where I found Dragon Warrior. (I say this, because there was no price tag on the sleeve and this Goodwill is good about putting the stickers on the sleeves when available). I took it up front for the cashier, who I'm pretty sure I had a class or two in HS with. Anyway, she let me have the sleeve for free.

All the sleeves and games are in really good shape. NARC has some slight "dings" on the front but the no wears on the colors of the stickers. Dragon Warrior has the left bottom corner of the sticker a fraction of the way loose, and it's sleeve doesn't have the Nintendo logo on it, neither does Fester's Quest.

I also picked my sister up an extra first party PS1 controller for $2.97. They had a third party too, same price but I didn't bite, because she already has one and I think my dad probably has at least 4 by now from his 2 or 3 dead PS's. Oh, and I got her a Gameboy Printer for $4.97. She always wanted one, although I think they're probably useless by now. It was in a bag with a bunch of extra GB cords as well as a third party N64 rumble pack that I threw in my dad's collection.

Found a copy of daytona usa in a big ol' disc holder for $5. Figuring there would be more saturn games inside I took a look, sure enough there were also copies of nights, virtua cop, panzar dragoon zwei, college slam, and street fighter the movie all packed in there. not a bad score for $5, although the discs are in pretty rough shape. there were about 100 older looking comics there as well, all in protective sleeves which sent my collectibility radar buzzing(gave me that "someone's stash was thrown out by an unaware parent/spouse" vibe). unfortunately, I don't really know much about comics so I had to pass, might take a look tommorow though.

Recently I decided to start actively expanding my game collection. After reading about some awesome finds in this topic I took a pretty long drive to two GoodWill stores this weekend. My expectations weren't too high but it was still pretty disappointing. Both stores were a complete mess. Does anyone have any tips for finding games there? I'd like to think there was something great that I just missed.

Also, I went to Salvation Army today, nothing good there either, but I noticed a complete-in-box MadCatz N64 steering wheel for $6. Is it worth anything, or at least good enough to be worth picking up for myself?

All the ones over here either A) don't have anything but vhs tapes and DUSTY old books from 30+ years ago or B) overpriced garbage

gonna swing by a few this weekend.

All these tales make me want to hit the goodwill that tends to have games again tomorrow. They do tend to have good stuff ($3 mint GCN LoZ:TP, $3 Etrinan Odyssey)

To everyone thinking Goodwill stores are a treasure trove of rare video games (or video games in general), they usually (about 80% of the time) are not. Most of the stores send off their video games to their respective state's central processing facility. That facility will then take the games and list them on www.shopgoodwill.com

In short, most of the video games that get given to Goodwill wind up on www.shopgoodwill.com. Those that don't just managed to slip by. The goodwill stores in my area almost never have games, I've only found worthwhile games twice and have only found anything rare once (and the discs were stolen).

Goodwill stores will ALWAYS be very hit or miss and I can't recommend making any long distance trips to them.

Also, not only do the games get sent to their website, if they do make it out on the floor or into the cases at the front, the old people shopping in the stores will normally snatch them up for their grandchildren no matter what the games are. I've just found it very hard to find anything at Goodwill stores.

There are 2 salvation armies near me. One is way way up north (20 minute ride), the other one I frequent is 3 towns over (easy to get there though).

All the electronics stuff is down stairs, all they ever really have are vinyl records, vhs tapes, cassettes, music cd's (shitty ones), books, some old lamps, casio keyboards, and some microwaves from the 1980's. Once in a blue moon they'll have some Windows 95 pc games.

I will be hitting 2 on friday or saturday. I have my fingers crossed for this weekend.

Eh, not that good of luck at good will, but at the very least I didn't walk away empty handed. I did get 2 Dreamcast Magazine demo disks for $1 a piece, #8 and #10.

bread's done
Back