Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

I picked up a copy of "The Making of Star Wars" on VHS(SEALED) for $2, as well as a cart only copy of Bionic Commando for the NES for $2.

Then, I hit up about 3-5 other SA/thrift stores and found nothing gaming related(or anything good, for that matter), except for the last one which had two Xbox systems(marked $35 and $75 respectively) sitting in a display case and about 10 or so PS1 games ranging from Worms: Armageddon to Theme Park. Although, that last store only took CASH, so I was SOL or I would've bought Theme Park since it was only $3 and only missing the manual(the disc looked like shit though too).

They also had a nice sized(36" or so) SDtv priced @ $125 which had a hell of a picture on it, front AV ports and was a NAME BRAND(Sony Trinitrion).

However, I didn't have the cash on me or a way to get it home in my small car, so I was SOL.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah, the SA in my town is luckily nice when it comes to the employees. I've been around to a few others that apparently fit more along the lines of the standard SA's which seems to be about your description.

The only ones that bother me a little are these two old folks that wait out front before they open practically everyday. Then again, they don't go after anything I'm really interested in, minus the occassional book/dvd shelf.[/quote]

Have you been to the one in Hazleton? I get a kick out of the fact that their electronics section is downstairs and it's gotten progressively worse over the past 10 years as far as smell goes down there.

I mean, normally some Salvation Army stores have the ever present mildewy/dusty smell to them, but this one takes it to the extreme.

The place just reeks of 'old', to put it simply, though the downstairs smells like a bathroom nowadays.

Mind you, I never spend that much time down there, since they never have anything besides dot matrix printers and some 1970's era tv's, so I just hold my breath.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Then, I hit up about 3-5 other SA/thrift stores and found nothing gaming related(or anything good, for that matter), except for the last one which had two Xbox systems(marked $35 and $75 respectively) sitting in a display case and about 10 or so PS1 games ranging from Worms: Armageddon to Theme Park. Although, that last store only took CASH, so I was SOL or I would've bought Theme Park since it was only $3 and only missing the manual(the disc looked like shit though too).
[/quote]

As far as I can remember, Worms Armageddon is actually a pretty decent flip on eBay. It goes for anywhere from $20 - $40.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Have you been to the one in Hazleton? I get a kick out of the fact that their electronics section is downstairs and it's gotten progressively worse over the past 10 years as far as smell goes down there.

I mean, normally some Salvation Army stores have the ever present mildewy/dusty smell to them, but this one takes it to the extreme.

The place just reeks of 'old', to put it simply, though the downstairs smells like a bathroom nowadays.

Mind you, I never spend that much time down there, since they never have anything besides dot matrix printers and some 1970's era tv's, so I just hold my breath.[/quote]

it's the same way over here man, they leave the fucking heat on 200 degress on a scorching day, smells like piss and cigarettes all over the place with hillbilly music blasting, all the "electronics" department is downstairs and all they have are loads of vhs, some vcr's, portable toilets and records. And 1 or 2 shit sega games.

They take all the good stuff for themselves I think.

I'm tempted to ask one of the old farts where all the friggin game stuff is. I know they get gaming stuff in there, but they don't put it out. For reasons unknown.

[quote name='omg itz adam']I just want to restore faith to this thread picked these up for 7 bucks each. I don't know how much they are worth but there basically mint and all of them are complete.

my.php
[/quote]
This makes me want to hit up the Goodwill/SA...Man!

[quote name='Doomstink']As far as I can remember, Worms Armageddon is actually a pretty decent flip on eBay. It goes for anywhere from $20 - $40.[/quote]

Damn. I should've bought it then, since it was only $1.91 there, but if it looked like Theme Park then it would've needed resurfacing before I could sell it.

I'm just annoyed that the one SA with the Genny bundle I saw earlier had the 2-3 better games(Goofy's Hysterical History Tour, Ghouls & Ghosts, Dizzy something or other) being MIA.

I found a set of 10 NES games (non-bootlegs, lol) a couple months back at a goodwill. The price was $10.52. Included were Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, both minty fresh. I'd say that's a great haul right there. The extra games weren't thrilling but I was already more than satisfied.

Also grabbed a Dreamcast with 2 VMU, 2 controllers and a rumble pack. Paid $20, works like a charm :D.

God I love thrift stores.

Only thing we have found at Goodwill recently was a Blue Tooth Speaker phone with Charger. When looked up on Amazon they go for around 20 bucks. Got ours for only 3 bucks. Works like a charm also. Syncs up the Sidekick 3 and works awesome. I was thinking of seeing if it would sync up with the PS3 just to see what it's like lol.

Had an awesome, mostly NES filled day at GW yesterday:
T&C Surf Designs - $1
Popeye - $1
The Karate Kid - $1
Wall Street Kid - $1
Bump 'n' Jump - $1
Mappy-Land - $1
Skate or Die - $1
Super C - $1
Super Game Boy - $0.50
Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Game Strategies (book) - $0.50
Orphen Vol. 1 (manga) - $0.50

[quote name='dcgm']I found a set of 10 NES games (non-bootlegs, lol) a couple months back at a goodwill. The price was $10.52. Included were Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, both minty fresh. I'd say that's a great haul right there. The extra games weren't thrilling but I was already more than satisfied.

Also grabbed a Dreamcast with 2 VMU, 2 controllers and a rumble pack. Paid $20, works like a charm :D.

God I love thrift stores.[/quote]

Great deals. Makes me want to go out rummaging today.

[quote name='schuerm26']
(Insert Mario board game picture here)

Found this at a DAV Thrift store. Any idea what it could be worth. It was made in 1988. I didn't see any on ebay or amazon.[/quote]

This is all I could find about it.

[quote name='mugenmidget']

P8080074.jpg

P8080068.jpg

[/quote]

here's mine that i bought recently:

smc00.jpg

smc01.jpg

the one you grabbed probably would've fooled me as well. it looks pretty good overall. personally, i collect old bootlegs, so i think you still got a pretty good find, either way. for as common as pirated carts (for old systems) can be overseas, here in the US they're not as easy to come by. i'm always glad to pick them up for cheap and see how they've been butchered.

That cart would have fooled me. In fact, I went to look at my SFC games to make sure there all official. I have one that is bootleg, but I already knew that. Nice find on Daggerfall. I found one a year or two book at a flea still sealed for $1. I dont know what to do with it as Ive never seen another sealed one on ebay.

More of a personal victory :lol:, I found a power cable to the Nintendo 64 for $0.99!! They had an N64 bundle with two power cables for some reason so I asked if I could buy the extra. Now I just need some controllers and games!!

[quote name='punkmaggit']More of a personal victory :lol:, I found a power cable to the Nintendo 64 for $0.99!! They had an N64 bundle with two power cables for some reason so I asked if I could buy the extra. Now I just need some controllers and games!![/quote]

Awesome. My SA always has a ton of power cables, but they're always junk. I did get lucky one day at a yard sale near the end of its second day and my sister and I got a lot of basically everything they had left over for $4 (she wanted a PSOne with a controller and all the cables and cords). I wanted a better comp monitor. I ended up with a good selection of Genesis cords and cables and a power cable to the Gamecube, which I sold to my friend's bro for the $2 I invested.

I picked up a linksys wrt54g wireless router (ver. 2) for $5. It is better then my current d-link router and I am pretty pleased with it so far.

http://i42.tinypic.com/5zi5aq.jpg (Sorry about the crappy link as when I previewed it with IMG tags the picture was really big and would make the page wide for everyone.)

NES System
Eliminator Cleaning Cart
Zapper
1st Party Controllers x2
Audio/Video Cord
RF Adaptor
AC Adaptor

$10

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons With Sleeve & Manual (Some Label Damage On Top Left Corner) $2
Dragon Warrior II With Manual & Map (Manual Looks Pretty Crappy & Map Is Rather Worn) $2
Zelda II: The Adventures of Link Complete (CS) (Pretty Sure It Didn't Originally Come With A Map) $2

I stop by this Salvation Army about once a week and this is the first time I've bought something in awhile as I rarely (as most people) see new video games for sale at the same old thrift stores. I always take the time to stop by as while I don't find much I do tend to have a good to really good find about once a year that seems to make it worth stopping by when I'm nearby.

I now have both Zelda games complete that I eventually found in the wild over the last year and I now have a beat up map to complete my Dragon Warrior II. This is actually the first time I've seen a popular system (that I got to first) donated to my store in the last 3ish years I've been regularly stopping by. I bought a Odyssey2 with some games a few years ago from this store and also a Game.com on another visit.

[quote name='Otherguy676']That cart would have fooled me. In fact, I went to look at my SFC games to make sure there all official. I have one that is bootleg, but I already knew that. Nice find on Daggerfall. I found one a year or two book at a flea still sealed for $1. I dont know what to do with it as Ive never seen another sealed one on ebay.[/QUOTE]Whoa, that could be a great flip waiting to happen! Nice find!

the one you grabbed probably would've fooled me as well. it looks pretty good overall. personally, i collect old bootlegs, so i think you still got a pretty good find, either way. for as common as pirated carts (for old systems) can be overseas, here in the US they're not as easy to come by. i'm always glad to pick them up for cheap and see how they've been butchered.
Yeah, I guess at least there's still a game on it. But I'm definitely gonna be more careful from now on (unless it has a hilarious cover then I can't help myself)!

At the local SA, I found Meteos DS (attacked by Gamestop) no manual, and a complete Sim City DS. Asking price for both was $3 each. I decided against buying it as an effort to pinch some dollars.

HUGE finds today at a goodwill.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

PC Final Fantasy VII $2.98
PC Final Fantasy VIII $2.98
PC Ultimate RPG Archives $2.98
PC Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines $4.98
PC Alone In The Dark Trilogy $4.98

All from the same Goodwill. Someone must have dumped all their collection or something. The reason for the $2.98 prices, Im guessing, is because FF7, FF8 and Ultimate RPG are in REALLY skinny cardboard long tri-fold cases. When I saw them I actually thought they were some type of art book for the games.

DSCF0001-2.jpg

Top one is Final Fantasy VII
Middle one is Final Fantasy VIII
Bottom one is Ultimate RPG Archives

I stopped by mine today. There were a few Intellivision games for .75 each and still a third party PS controller for $1.50.

I ended up getting a open top carrying case for my recently acquired Gameboy Advance SP for .50 (it has a belt loop)

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I'm going tomorrow evening, wish me luck brethren![/quote]

Good luck. Hopefully you don't stuck in a line like I did. I must've waited 10-15 minutes to buy that case for 50 cents. I thought about just throwing the change down and leaving, but I very well may have started drama.

Got a small Mario Plush and 9 Animal Crossing E Reader Cards for $1.30. Those Animal Crossing card gave me hell, I found them in a lose card holder page just sitting next to the VCRs. Had no price on them, and I didn't feel like coming back in the morning to find what they did with them, couldn't find where they came from, so I just stuck them into a thin binder that was a $1 and bought it. Saw the Plush on the way out in the large bin of plushes.

No luck for normal games though. Maybe I'll have some luck in the tomorrow if I can make it there.

I did okay. Would of been a lot better if there weren't thieves out there. Found a complete copy of Resident Evil Code Veronica for the Dreamcast. Should be fun.

BUT! I also found a Starcraft battle chest for two dollars! Looked inside, all of the cds were stolen. Found a stack of nice PS1 games. Every last one except for Worm's Armageddon, stolen. Found a Diablo battle chest, only disc left was the soundtrack. WHY STEAL SOMETHING THAT COSTS TWO DOLLARS EACH AT MOST?! At least hide the cases so I don't get my hopes up...

[quote name='Drkirby']Got a small Mario Plush and 9 Animal Crossing E Reader Cards for $1.30. Those Animal Crossing card gave me hell, I found them in a lose card holder page just sitting next to the VCRs. Had no price on them, and I didn't feel like coming back in the morning to find what they did with them, couldn't find where they came from, so I just stuck them into a thin binder that was a $1 and bought it. Saw the Plush on the way out in the large bin of plushes.

No luck for normal games though. Maybe I'll have some luck in the tomorrow if I can make it there.[/quote]

You couldn't find a price, so you said, "What the hell, I'll just steal them!"?

Theft is awesome.

[quote name='ohram']I did okay. Would of been a lot better if there weren't thieves out there. Found a complete copy of Resident Evil Code Veronica for the Dreamcast. Should be fun.

BUT! I also found a Starcraft battle chest for two dollars! Looked inside, all of the cds were stolen. Found a stack of nice PS1 games. Every last one except for Worm's Armageddon, stolen. Found a Diablo battle chest, only disc left was the soundtrack. WHY STEAL SOMETHING THAT COSTS TWO DOLLARS EACH AT MOST?! At least hide the cases so I don't get my hopes up...[/quote]
Doesn't blizzard have some online distribution thing now, so if the cd-keys (I think the keys are on the manual...) were still there you could have just used them to download the games.:lol:

I stopped by 2 thrift stores, including SA, neither of them had anything except for some sega genny sports games which I passed on as usual. I don't understand what's up over here. They have absolutely NOTHING. Everytime I go, natha. Is there competition beating me to it? who knows........

I didn't wanna go home empty handed so I bought this 5 inch portable camping tv still in the box for $5 bucks. It works fabulous.

Tomorrow I'm going to the one on the other side of town, I haven't been to that one in a year. Maybe I'll strike in over there.

Okay, you've all given me the bug. It's time
that I made my rounds to the local thrift shops.

Some time ago, I found a sealed copy of one
of the "Load Runner" games, on the PC for $13.
I think that it was part 2. It was on 3 1/2 floppy
disk. Lucky for me I had an old laptop with a functioning
disk drive. I also have an old PC, with a functioning
5.25 drive. At least I think that it still works. That's
for super rare finds.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']You couldn't find a price, so you said, "What the hell, I'll just steal them!"?

Theft is awesome.[/quote]

I agree, that's fairly weak. Besides, I've always had good luck with unmarked stuff. At my SA, I found a really cool ceramic tile coaster with a dutch ship and cork on the back I liked with a price tag on the floor for .35. However, they often have these laying around, but I figured if they stuck it on either the cork or ceramic it might've fallen off. Apparently they have a strict "no price tag, no sale" where they re-price it to avoid people trying to rip them off. She rang it up as .35, though.

Most other stores have given me reasonable prices or else just given me stuff for free. A few weeks ago, I got three NES games from a Goodwill. I carried a fourth up front that someone had apparently taken the game out of (the sleeve was laying with one of the other games I found buried behind some 8-tracks). I explained that I found it and had the sleeve in the pile of stuff I wanted to buy and she asked if I wanted it and I said if it was a reasonable price. She threw it in the bag for free. Funny thing was, but the game is pretty much worthless (all of them were).

On a related topic, I think I was most annoyed, at the idiot who pulled The Punisher out of the Genesis case. Game's worth like $30-ish. Yeah... someone didn't wanna pay like $2 for the f'n game. The case and manual were worth that alone.:bomb:

Haven't gotten a decent haul in a while. Finally got some good stuff yesterday from goodwill and another local resale place.

100_8882.jpg

Old school EGM and one Video Games Magazine (The ads in these are hilarious) 30 cents each.
100_8880.jpg

$2 each for these games
100_8883.jpg

Some old big box pc games. $2 each
100_8884.jpg

Snes Mini $10
100_8878.jpg

$1 each 2600 games. Chuck Norris Superkicks = awesome x 5000 Looks like someone used the airlock cart as toilet paper.

Well, Went to Goodwill today. I need to get my Camera fixed so I can take a few pictures.

My Haul and Prices

Eraser - $5
Stop or my mom will Shoot -$5
Payback - $5
Laserdisc Player - $10
Sega Genesis (one of the newer model ones where it's smaller) - $10
Xbox 360 - NCAA Football 09 - $15
1988 Star Wars Original Storybook - $2

So Spent a good $52 at goodwill today.

So It wasn't a bad haul today. I got the laser disc stuff cause I always wanted one for my collection of old stuff. Needless to say, I never thought they were that fucking huge! But Still not a bad haul for my day.

Also is it me or does anybody else's Goodwill put .06 after all there prices?

[quote name='jlew']

Some old big box pc games. $2 each

Snes Mini $10
[/quote]

heck yeah Outlaws. I remember that game being awesome back on... maybe Windows 95. I remember I first played it at the mall because there was somesort of kiosk selling computers or something in the middle of the mall and they had it on there. My mother was shopping or something and I spent like an hr or two playing the game and the guy running it didn't mind me there playing.

SNES mini also is awesome. I'd like to get one of those at some point to go w/ my NES Mini. The only thing that annoys me about the NES Mini is that you ahve to use the RF adapter because there is no audio and video out like the regular nes.

I saw 2 playstation 1 games today at a local Goodwill: Revolution X and Cyberspeed - both longbox versions but they are not worth buying, though.

Picked up a kind of strange find today at my Goodwill. A sega CD(the one that goes underneath the genesis) came with the original box, but no cords. Also in the box were empty Streets of Rage 2, and Sunset Riders boxes. I only paid 5.99 for it though.

Not sure if I should flip it, or try and find a genny.

Since I never knew about deals like this the GoodWill I'm hitting up a couple around me, and hoping I find something.

[quote name='Mako1215']Since I never knew about deals like this the GoodWill I'm hitting up a couple around me, and hoping I find something.[/quote]

Goodwills are just Treasure Chests waiting to happen. I love going there every weekend. Always something new.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Goodwills are just Treasure Chests waiting to happen. I love going there every weekend. Always something new.[/quote]

Compared to other thrift/second hand stores, goodwill sucks a n-t. Completely overpriced for what they offer.

Just picked up a Sega Game Gear with a copy of Shaq-Fu (seriously) inside the cart slot for $3.20

I also picked up a NES with A/C power cord, RF Switch, two controllers, and Pac-man for $9.99 (I really wanted an SNES but I took was somewhat pleased to walk away with the NES).

[quote name='schuerm26']Compared to other thrift/second hand stores, goodwill sucks a n-t. Completely overpriced for what they offer.[/quote]

Well, I guess it's extremely YMMV. The Goodwill here has some good prices.

Not long ago I saw a netbook from Target at Goodwill for $200. $50 off, usually Target stuff is more expensive at Goodwill. Saw a opened Wii Play for a mere $60.50. Strange thing, this Goodwill is about half an hour from any Target.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Well, I guess it's extremely YMMV. The Goodwill here has some good prices.[/quote]

It definitely is. I do quite a bit of shopping and the way Goodwill prices things definitely odd. I have come across stores that price things at 98 cents and then others (the one closest to me) that price any sort of video game looking cartridge at $4.98. It's also weird because they lump all the PC games that are without boxes into the CD category and then if they have the box they dump them into the more expensive category.

Granted, it is a thrift store. I just hate how in most cases they tend to lean towards the more expensive side, when 98% of the stuff they get in there isn't worth close to what they price it at.

Lol a netbook? Shit I would have bought that if it was sealed and new. Those are going for around 300-380 depending on which model you get.

You can make a nice 100 profit on that

I feel so stupid. I purchased a NES yesterday. I spent over 45 minutes in the sotre trying to untaggle the cord and corntroller cables and testing the NES on one of the TV's in the electronics section. I get the system home and I can't get the system to work. I hooked it up, powered it on, and all I get is the flashing red light on the NES and a blank grey screen on my plasma.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can/should do?

bread's done
Back