Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

yes, on ebay thats a good price for most of that stuff. but for a pawn shop that stuff was just overpriced. its like going to a church rummage sale and finding all that same stuff for the same price. just way to much. i can guarantee that if i go back in 6 months all that stuff will still be there.

Went to a local pawn shop that buys lots of older games from all system.

They had 10 or so complete sega genesis games marked as $3 a piece, I might go back and buy the lot if I can negotiate a price for all of them

LOL darkpice. That sounds like the two local pawn shops here. They charge Ebay-ish prices, but when you go to sell stuff they want to give you $1-2. Total fuckin' ripoff artists.

When they first opened up though their prices were a bit more reasonable, including their prices on old coins like Morgan silver dollars. I was getting them for $5-7 each, then they went up to $10 and the last time I was there they wanted $20-25 each for beat to shit coins.:roll:

wow .. $20-25 for those morgan coins .. i have a few hundred of those been collection them since 1999 . my family have a few conveince store and i get all the old money or foreigin stuff that slip in.

[quote name='NipPicker']wow .. $20-25 for those morgan coins .. i have a few hundred of those been collection them since 1999 . my family have a few conveince store and i get all the old money or foreigin stuff that slip in.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Suffice to say I stopped going to the local pawn shops except for a quick laugh as soon as their prices went ridiculous. It's sad when even Gamestop has cheaper prices on most games they have.:cry:

The last real 'deal' they had was 3-6 copies of The Document Of MGS for $3 each, which I completely ignored and then regretted as I drove home.:bomb:

I found the two house of the dead games (house of the dead II and III, and overkill), and Disgaea 2 for PSP for $10 each

The other day I got a gold N64 with one controller and it had a memory expansion plugged in it, $30. It's in awesome shape cosmetically and it works.

Excellent pawn shop trip yesterday:

XBOX 360 250GB HDD w/Data Transfer Cable: $60.00
Agetec PS1 fishing rod controller: $5.00
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (DS): $7.00
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 (PS2): $8.00

And the find of the day was...

Gears of War 2 LE complete w/UNUSED Gold Lancer AND Gold Hammerburst codes: $16.99

Couldn't believe it when I opened up the Gears of War 2 steelbook and saw both the Gold Lancer and Hammerburst unpeeled cards. I just chuckled and bought it. Didn't even try to talk the price down. The 250GB HDD will upgrade my Elite quite nicely.

Then I stopped at a local used game store (non-franchise) that was having a closing sale. Found a 20GB HDD at 75% off for $6.25 to pop on our rarely-used Arcade model I grabbed during the Wal Mart $149.00 + $50 gift card sale. Pretty cheap upgrades after I move the 120GB HDD and transfer cable. :)

Today I found...

:ps3:
Final Fantasy XIII= $14.99
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2= $14.99
Call Of Duty 4: Game Of The Year Edition= $9.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL darkpice. That sounds like the two local pawn shops here. They charge Ebay-ish prices, but when you go to sell stuff they want to give you $1-2. Total fuckin' ripoff artists.

When they first opened up though their prices were a bit more reasonable, including their prices on old coins like Morgan silver dollars. I was getting them for $5-7 each, then they went up to $10 and the last time I was there they wanted $20-25 each for beat to shit coins.:roll:[/QUOTE]

It is pretty annoying when folks want top dollar for coins that should only have scrap value, though a lot of bullion coins now are getting a healthy mark-up because people are wary of the economy, banks, etc.

Morgan dollars should be worth something like $15-16 each on silver content alone right now, and that's not even considering grade or rarity.

Picked up Fatal Frame II complete and in good shape and Alan Wake with unused DLC for $8 each today :D

Sold my FFII on eBay and made my money back, basically getting AW for free :lol:

Got a copy of Mario's Time Machine for 99 cents yesterday. I was congratulating myself in an epic find, until I realized you could buy it for $2 on Amazon. Ah well, still a good game. Grabbed Rampart, Marble Madness, Wizards & Warriors, and Gauntlet for the original NES, too.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It is pretty annoying when folks want top dollar for coins that should only have scrap value, though a lot of bullion coins now are getting a healthy mark-up because people are wary of the economy, banks, etc.

Morgan dollars should be worth something like $15-16 each on silver content alone right now, and that's not even considering grade or rarity.[/QUOTE]

Eagles FTW. Morgans usually go $20 plus around here.

Just did a trip here in Tampa, they pretty much sucked. Value pawn was trying to sell Borderlands for 40 bucks. WTF, better off sticking to craigslist. If you go on a slow day you usually can haggle a price, same for flea markets.

Had a decent trip to one of the local pawn shops yesterday. Didn't get much, but grabbed the following for $18.00 total:

GTA San Andreas (PS2)
Mass Effect 2 (XBOX 360, w/unused Cerberus Network card)
Wii Play (including official Wii Remote AND Nunchuk)

The guy who rang me up opened up the Wii Play box, saw the Wii Remote and Nunchuk inside and just smiled, shook his head, and took my money.

one of the pawn shops up here sell all their psp games for $2 apiece.
Picked up FFT war of the lions, dracula x chronicles, ff7 crisis core, and a few other not-as-cool games. Like Rengoku...which isnt THAT bad...just not very good...as much as I've played of it anyways.

[quote name='TiKi2']Eagles FTW. Morgans usually go $20 plus around here.[/QUOTE]

Silver Eagles must be crazy sellers right now. Last time I went to a flea market with dealers they were paying $21 and selling them for $22-23ish.

Best day I had this year in a pawn shop was finding a copy of Xenogears and Vagrant Story for a dollar each. People there didn't seem to care about the games and just wanted to be rid of them since they were pretty old.

Today found a used copy of Pokemon Heart Gold for 8 dollars. Tested the game out and it works and all. Either will flip it to Gamestop or my local game store toward BlazBlue or just sell it online. Whichever nets more money.

Visited my local shop this morning, and had some interesting luck. Found Time Lord, Guardian Legend, and Metal Gear for the NES, as well as Banjo-Tooie for the N64. Dollar each.

The real interesting find was going through the GameGear games, though. I found Samurai Shodown 2, which .. happened to be a Neo Geo Pocket game. the guy says the system's around somewhere, and they're going to dig around. I almost shit my pants when he said was there, and bought the game on a whim. He only charged me a dollar for it as well. Right into the private collection with it!

[quote name='kube00']wow Jay a neo-geo for a $1? Crazy which version of the console?[/QUOTE]

From the sound of the story, I think it is just a Neo Geo Pocket, which is nowhere near as awesome as finding a Neo Geo console in the wild for $1.00 (which would be one of those once in a lifetime kind of finds).

Stopped at the local pawn shop today, got Kindom Hearts II (non-GH) in mint condition for $5. While I was in there, some guy brought in Modern Warfare 2 and Grand Theft Auto IV for PS3 to sell. They said they could give him $7 total for both. Needless to say he left with them.

Alright.. Someone want to explain this to me?

adapter1.jpg

adapter2.jpg

adapter3.jpg

It looks like some sort of NES adapter, but I'm not sure. Got it as a freebie for buying a bunch of games at a shop today. Perhaps one of you snazzy collectors can tell me what, exactly, it is?

Scroll down a bit.
Also, don't be excited by the price there... Some more searching proves they are fairly common and can even be made by cannibalizing some early NES games.

Picked up Red Dead Redemption (Mint/Complete) today at EZ Pawn for $9.99. I think they are franchised in many parts of Texas and I usually find great deals at the ones I've been to.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Alright.. Someone want to explain this to me?

adapter1.jpg

adapter2.jpg

adapter3.jpg

It looks like some sort of NES adapter, but I'm not sure. Got it as a freebie for buying a bunch of games at a shop today. Perhaps one of you snazzy collectors can tell me what, exactly, it is?[/QUOTE]

I think it is a NES to Famicom adapter. Looks like one i had that came with a neo-fami NES clone system. The first generations of those had a famicom cartridge slot on the board and you had to use an adapter to plug in NES games.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']I think it is a NES to Famicom adapter. Looks like one i had that came with a neo-fami NES clone system. The first generations of those had a famicom cartridge slot on the board and you had to use an adapter to plug in NES games.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what it is.

Found a copy of R.U.S.E. for PS3, Robin Hood and Transformers RotF on blu-ray for $15. I'll probably sell RUSE, make my money back at least. Robin Hood and Transformers on blu for free? Sold!

I found a copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD for $3.49 at a pawnshop a few weeks ago. Also picked up copies of Vay and Flink for the Sega CD and Sunset Riders for the Genesis for the same price.

I finally got a great pawn shop deal!

I went yesterday because they were doing some raffles and such, and they would randomly shout out deals.

I was shuffling through the video games, nothing fantastic but I had my eye on ODST/Forza 3 double pack that was at $25, but I was like "Eh." and shelved it.

I was looking through some miscellaneous crap, and the dude says "Anyone here like video games? Anything over $10 is ONLY $10". Hearing that I sprinted to the games and plucked out the ODST/Forza 3 double pack. No one else was as enthusiastic as I was about that (the rest of the stuff they had was crap or just regular price).

Essentially 2 games for $5 each, got myself a pretty nice deal if I do say so myself!

Scored the motherload today.

My favorite pawn shop ever got a new box of PS1 games, and they pulled it out of the back room to give me first crack. Imagine my surprise when I saw Silent Hill, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (3rd copy this year), Samurai Shodown RPG (I think), and Xenogears (green label) in there. I bought the entire box for $25, with a total of 49 games in it. About a third were sports, but those alone make up for the find. I'll probably sell most of them on Amazon, but the adrenaline rush makes up for it. Awesome.

I learned this weekend that my dad's buddy's son runs a pawn shop down the road. I tagged along since he wanted to see if they had any trolling motors, fishing rods, or a shotgun. Plus, Kmart was along the way and he said he could look there (great idea, cause they had what I wanted in stock) to see if something he wanted to get my mom was sold there. Apparently, it's not.

They had a few DS games: Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy III, a couple others all $8 a piece. They were cart only, but I picked up Fire Emblem and FF3 for $10 total cause my dad ended up buying a shotgun there as well (I do live in a rural area). I might have overpaid, but the guy there even said that if I have problems, just bring them back and he'll give me the money back. You can't beat that. I'll get around to trying them tomorrow probably.

They also had about 1200 DVDs, if my quick mental math was right. Each one was $3 or 10 for $20,; I probably coulda gotten them $1 a piece if I wanted. Some decent titles, but nothing really worth picking up the huge mess that would be a ton of DVDs falling over though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a pair of PS1 games today: Elemental Gearbolt (I bought it just because it said "Creative Designs," the same guys who did Lunar), and Star Gladiator Episode One (which had the white "Fighter's Edge" background on it, with the Capcom logo). Not familiar with either, but they looked interesting. At $1 each, it was hard to beat the price.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Picked up a pair of PS1 games today: Elemental Gearbolt (I bought it just because it said "Working Designs," the same guys who did Lunar), and Star Gladiator Episode One (which had the white "Fighter's Edge" background on it, with the Capcom logo). Not familiar with either, but they looked interesting. At $1 each, it was hard to beat the price.[/QUOTE]
Fixed

bread's done
Back