Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='jaysapathy']Picked up a pair of PS1 games today: Elemental Gearbolt (I bought it just because it said "Creative Designs," the same guys who did Lunar), and Star Gladiator Episode One (which had the white "Fighter's Edge" background on it, with the Capcom logo). Not familiar with either, but they looked interesting. At $1 each, it was hard to beat the price.[/QUOTE]

Star Gladiator was a pretty damn cool fighting game back in the PS1 days. Kinda like a futuristic Soul Calibur.

Final Fantasy 2- $2
Sunset Riders- $2
Dino City- $2
Contra III- $2
Joe and Mac- $2
Super Adventure Island- $2
Dr. Mario/Tetris- $3

Eternal Darkness- $12
Zombies Ate My Neighbors- $7
Boxed and sealed Xena 64- Free

(and in separate sales for the day, Fire Emblem GC- $10, another ZAMN- $7, Harvest Moon 64- $17, Pocky and Rocky 2- $7)

I snagged 10 criterion collection dvd's for $2 each on saturday. They were buried in the bottom of a milk crate of dvds beneath the main display of DVD's.

I picked up God of War 3 for 14.99. First visit to this pawn store and was in a rush. I will be back!

Grabbed the following this week at the local shops:

Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter- $20.00
Assassin's Creed II (360- sealed)- $14.99
Gears of War LE- $4.99
Gears of War 2 LE- $7.99 (unfortunately, the DLC was used)
Star Wars KotOR- $7.99
Star Wars KotOR II- $12.99
Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox)- $14.99
Monsterseed (PS1)- $5.99
Virtual On (Dreamcast)- $4.99

Even grabbed an Insignia Blu-Ray player for $37 and a Flip Mino HD video camera for $26. Overall, a pretty good week, IMHO.

[quote name='thack']I snagged 10 criterion collection dvd's for $2 each on saturday. They were buried in the bottom of a milk crate of dvds beneath the main display of DVD's.[/QUOTE]
:O Nice! Which ones?

[quote name='Shazyzang']:O Nice! Which ones?[/QUOTE]

I got:
Seven samurai (old edition)
Rififi
Element of crime
Wild strawberries
Juliet of the spirits
Sword of doom
Kwaidan
L'avventura
The unbearable lightness of being
The browning version

Went to my local Pawn Shop today, for the first time in maybe eight months.

Snagged a set of headphones with what I think is a korean brand logo on the side for ninety nine cents and with the use of one of those headphone jack to audio input cord that came with my turtle beachs, I hooked it up with my 360 and I'm getting surround sound outta it! Really nice sounding too, also the cable is about a half inch thick so hopefully I won't have one ear die on me. Maybe my favorite pick up ever. :D

Also picked up a copy of Bioshock 2 for $1.99 and I took the chance and bought some scratched MS points and live cards(about 12 for 2). Figured it was worth the risk, one of the one month live ones worked, so I'm not totally choked about it.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Final Fantasy 2- $2
Sunset Riders- $2
Dino City- $2
Contra III- $2
Joe and Mac- $2
Super Adventure Island- $2
Dr. Mario/Tetris- $3

Eternal Darkness- $12
Zombies Ate My Neighbors- $7
Boxed and sealed Xena 64- Free

(and in separate sales for the day, Fire Emblem GC- $10, another ZAMN- $7, Harvest Moon 64- $17, Pocky and Rocky 2- $7)[/QUOTE]

Congrats - I've been after a copy of Sunset Riders forever!

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Congrats - I've been after a copy of Sunset Riders forever![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I also want to add I left a few games behind ($14 for DK 1, 2, or 3 each? Nah. Mario is Missing? Meh.), but when I went back for them 3 days later (to see if they'd drop the price), the rest were all gone. Oh, well.

[quote name='Ash Burton']DSi Xl $100 OTD. A good buy? Maybe, since I don't plan on investing on a 3DS until the 3DS ultra Lite-i comes out and goes down in price.[/QUOTE]

If it was in great shape and basically complete (at least the small stylus), I'd grab it for $100 without thinking twice.
Bought a new one off Amazon Warehouse for $121 a few weeks ago and am really enjoying the larger screen!

Wish the 3D screen was not smalller...but you'll get close to if not $100 trading this in for a 3D upgrade.

I am waiting to see the 3D and compare it to the XL before taking the leap.

[quote name='Ash Burton']DSi Xl $100 OTD. A good buy? Maybe, since I don't plan on investing on a 3DS until the 3DS ultra Lite-i comes out and goes down in price.[/QUOTE]
good deal, i got a dsi last year for 5 dollars at a pawn shop, traded it in for almost all the xl

PS3 Move Bundle New for $369.99+tax, and the shop clerk let me choose 2 free ps3 games.

DotC?

A shittier deal was $10 perfect dark zero, but an excellent deal was $10 for Create(360), I'm gonna profit off of that bad boy.

It depends. I recall some Move bundles from Amazon's Warehouse being pretty cheap ($315ish?). It would depend on what games you got and their value, of course.

Pretty good deal if it was brand new.

Pretty good day last Saturday at the local pawn shops and independent used game/movie store:

DVD/Blu-Ray

Carnivale Season 1 (DVD): $10.00
Carnivale Season 2 (DVD): $10.00
Samurai 7 Complete Series (Blu-Ray): $15.00
Torchwood Season 1 (Blu-Ray): $25.00
Sanctuary Season 1 (Blu-Ray): $15.00
True Blood Season 1 (Blu-Ray): $17.50
True Blood Season 2 (Blu-Ray): $17.50
Battlestar Galactica Complete Series (Blu-Ray, original Cyclon packaging): $100.00

Yes, I know that some of those seasons aren't huge gets as Amazon and eBay prices have come down at or near those, but I've been looking for that specific Battlestar Galactica set for quite some time around that price point. It's minty, completely out of print, and for the life of me I can't figure out why some folks prefer the newer packaging. Yes, I know that the disc holders aren't exactly sturdy and the new box fits better on a shelf, but the set is gorgeous. It's currently sitting on my component rack, whispering "Who's your fracking daddy?" to my Blade Runner LE briefcase. Hmn...weird that both of those sets involve artificial humanoids...but I digress...

Games:

.hack Quarantine- Part 4 (PS2): $11.50
.hack //G.U. Redemption- Part 3 (PS2): $10.50
Suikoden V (PS2): $10.50
Etrian Odyssey II (DS): $10.00
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS): $7.00
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS): $5.50
Ehrgeiz- God Bless the Ring (PS1): $10.00
Baten Kaitos Origins (GC): $3.00
Nintendo Wii Freeloader (US Version): $9.99

.hack Quarantine and Suikoden V were obviously the big "gets". I don't know what to do with the Wii Freeloader. I don't own a Wii and even if I did, I'd need an early firmware version for it to run and THEN be interested in actually importing some games. It'll probably go in my pile of system hardware/software oddities that I have for no other reason than "I'm like that." Moving on...

Electronics/Systems:

Creative Sleek Photo 20GB MP3 player: $19.99
Sega Saturn System w/Controller: $25.00
Playstation 3 Slim 160GB w/Controller: $150.00

SCORE! Talked the clerk down to $150 from $200 on the PS3. The system is only three months old without a scratch on it. About 20GB of DRM-free songs are saved to the hard drive. After checking it out thoroughly, I have a pretty good feeling that it was used almost exclusively as a music server.

Speaking of DRM-free, the Creative Sleek Photo was a steal at 20 bucks. One of the most underrated "last gen" (doesn't play video) players, IMHO. I grabbed it for my wife to use as a back-up for the one she already owns. Imagine my surprise when I connected to her PC and saw over 1,500 songs loaded to the thing. Thank you for the new music collection, previous owner!

The Saturn was just gravy on the french fries of my day.

Not gaming related, but I got a Crybaby 535Q Wah that is quite mint aside from a broken battery door for $35!

My local pawn shop had copies of these games, and I really should've bought them, going to get them tomorrow
non greatest hits Final Fantasy VII
greatest hits Legend of Dragoon
non greatest hits Castlevania Symphony of the night
Greatest Hits copy of Final Fantasy Tactics (but I think it had instructions)
The greatest thing was they were $2.80 each. (edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a pawn over the weekend and picked out 4 gamecube games:

Zelda windwaker
zelda TP
zelda ocarina of time
pikmin 2

There was no blanket price and the worker decided that she should look at ebay prices.

Suffice it to say I didn't actually buy any games.

Haven't really gone to pawn shops around here, though this thread makes me think twice about that! I do go to fleamarkets from time to time and have scored some great stuff. Like a complete Castlevania Double Pack for the gameboy advance for a whopping $5 bucks.

Also, a local thrift store had a Japanese Dreamcast for sale for 20. It didn't have the power cord so I couldn't test it, otherwise it would have been an easy buy for me.

Saw a 250gb elite 360 for $200, seems to be close to the going rate. Other then that its been dry and slow at the pawn shops

Quite a few good finds at the local Pawn.

Sports Champions Move bundle, with the navigation controller and charger base for $45. It looks barely used.

A few good, cart-only NES games for $1 each:

• Kirby
  • Felix the Cat
  • Dash Galaxy
  • Tetris
  • Bart Vs the Space Mutants
  • Bart Vs The World
  • Bartman Meets Radioactive Man
  • Metroid
to name a few...

A red PS3 DS3 controller in awesome condition for $20.

I've gotten a ton more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Pikmin 2 complete for $5!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! so happy, been on my want list for a long long time.

Looked like someone had brought in their gamecube collection. They had both Pokemanz, Mario Party 6, Tennis, Golf, Melee and Double Dash. Metroid Prime, Sonic Collection, and a few more

Also came across DC Universe Online for $15, Oblivion COllector's Edition for $10, but didnt grab either.

Found a black Xbox 360 controller for $2! It was missing a battery pack/battery cover, but I tried one of my packs on it and it works great, all I need is to find a black pack or cover for it on eBay, which is like $10.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']Today I found ":gc:Phantasy Star Online: Episode I&II" for $4.00 buried at the bottom of a bargain bin.[/QUOTE]
Now that's a lucky find, congratulations dude.

I went to this shit hole of a place today, it used to be a Play N' Trade and I never went in it when it was but now it's just a Video Game Store. I'm surprised the guy is still in business, if you think GS had bad prices on used games this one is worst. I LOL and walked out when I saw a copy of MvsC 2 ps2 with a photocopied cover on it selling for $90. The guy basically makes all his money from repairing systems and I'm surprised he still in business just doing that.

Dang skiizim, that sounds like my area. Today I walk into a local comic book shop that advertised retro games and it felt like an anti-thrift store--they wanted $50 for a Dragon Warrior 3 cart-only and $7.99 each for dirt common NES games.

Okay, I understand that they have overhead and all, but knowing from experience that they have TIVs lower than a snake's belly and a run-to-check-ebay mentality there's a lot of reasons not to be impressed.

[quote name='skiizim']I went to this shit hole of a place today, it used to be a Play N' Trade and I never went in it when it was but now it's just a Video Game Store. I'm surprised the guy is still in business, if you think GS had bad prices on used games this one is worst. I LOL and walked out when I saw a copy of MvsC 2 ps2 with a photocopied cover on it selling for $90. The guy basically makes all his money from repairing systems and I'm surprised he still in business just doing that.[/QUOTE]

That price is ridiculous and everything for that specific game, but at least give it credit in that its some independent store and not a chain store like GameStop. It's too bad the store doesn't sound that great though. :hot:

Man I feel sorry for you guys. There are 4 pawn shops here, 2 of which take game stuff. The one sells PS3/360/Wii/DS games and Blu Rays for $10 apiece, regardless of what it is, and anything older goes 3 for $10. The other store does about 5 on PS1, 15 on current gen and random pries for anything in cart form, depending on who's there. I just wish they got stuff in more often.

There is only 1 pawn hop near me, and they fucking rape you bad on game stuff. Just for reference, I took LittleBigPlanet GOTY there to see how much they would give me for it, and they said some shit like "Well, this won't sell, so we can offer you $3". Upon, obviously, turning them down, I noticed that they had the same fucking LBPGOTY (Greatest Hits and all), and were trying to sell it for $45

Found a white DSi for $50 today. I tested it out and anytime you try to run a program/game, it says "An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nntendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

Regardless, I offered him $25 and I would take a chance trying to fix it, and he accepted. Now to figure out what is going on.

My pawn shop gave me a complete GH FFVII free, because someone returned and they said they couldn't resell it. Works on my PS2 though.

bread's done
Back