Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

I don't see the ebay pricing either, and there's been a mass dumping of PS2 at the two stores that charge 3/$10 on last gen stuff. Picked up Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for 3.33 each :D

Hit the jackpot today

Store 1: Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica X and Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes for the Gamecube (the resident evil's are far more rare on gamecube, even code veronica); $12 for all 4.

Store 2:
CoD WaW for PS3, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 GOTY out the door for $15. Good day.

Went back to pick up DCKR mentioned above and found Super Mario Sunshine (PC), Mario Party 7 with the mic (BL), and Animal Crossing with the memory card (PC) for 3.33 each. Now I have some complete, good condition copies I can trade out for BL coverarts I find down the road at GS.

Nice find on the GCN Resident Evils. I've been keeping an eye out for them but only have 1.

[quote name='aptanor']Went back to pick up DCKR mentioned above and found Super Mario Sunshine (PC), Mario Party 7 with the mic (BL), and Animal Crossing with the memory card (PC) for 3.33 each. Now I have some complete, good condition copies I can trade out for BL coverarts I find down the road at GS.

Nice find on the GCN Resident Evils. I've been keeping an eye out for them but only have 1.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I managed to find all 3 GCN RE games at like $8-$10 each at a half price books. Usually they watch like hawks for uncommon stuff they can mark up like that.

Final Fantasy 6 (gba) for 6 bucks. Now to see if it works. They also had Darkstalkers for the PSP for 8 but I figured I could find it cheaper elsewhere.

Picked up FF9 and Anthologies for 1.99 each at a local shop a few days ago. Perfect since my gf wanted 9 and anthologies for a while now.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Found a 60GB backwards compatible PS3 for $100 ($108 total), not bad I'd think, and now I can go getting those PS3 exclusives I've been wanting.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as you got it at that price, you might as well swap out the power supply to the cooler running one, replace the thermal paste, and get a bigger hard drive. You'd still be under $200, and it would run cooler, last longer, and have plenty of space for installs (I have a 60GB too and game installs fill it up faster than you'd think).

I know I am setting myself up for failure but I would love to walk into a pawn shop and find New Super Mario Bros and NSMBWii for like $5 bucks haha.

Picked up Duke Nukem 64 and Super Mario RPG for $10 total today.

Also, picked up a 3DO with 30 games, two controllers, and a flight stick, for my company's vide game library. I paid $150 for that, but it ws totally worth it considering all 30 games are complete and the flight stick alone is worth $50-$60 on eBay. Plus, one of the 30 games was "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" which is totally priceless due to it being the worst game EVER.

[quote name='doodmandood']I know I am setting myself up for failure but I would love to walk into a pawn shop and find New Super Mario Bros and NSMBWii for like $5 bucks haha.[/QUOTE]

A man can only dream...

[quote name='Doomstink']Picked up Duke Nukem 64 and Super Mario RPG for $10 total today.

Also, picked up a 3DO with 30 games, two controllers, and a flight stick, for my company's vide game library. I paid $150 for that, but it ws totally worth it considering all 30 games are complete and the flight stick alone is worth $50-$60 on eBay. Plus, one of the 30 games was "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" which is totally priceless due to it being the worst game EVER.[/QUOTE]

Omg have you seen the Angry Video Game Nerd episode for Plumbers Don't Wear Ties? It's pretty hilarious. That game looks so damn awful. It's like watching a bad movie like Birdemic. It's sooo bad you have to watch, or in this case, play the game.

[quote name='DeadStranger']Star Wars Kotor 2- 5
Mega Man legends- 3[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for KOTOR 2 for a while, but the only shop that has it has 3 copies all priced at 29.99 -_-

Bought a "broken" DS lite that wouldnt turn on (it did, but only momentarily). opened the battery compartment to replace it, was full of sticky coca-cola. Cleaned it up, put battery back in... works flawlessly. None got in the rest of the components. #Victory

[quote name='Darknuke']Omg have you seen the Angry Video Game Nerd episode for Plumbers Don't Wear Ties? It's pretty hilarious. That game looks so damn awful. It's like watching a bad movie like Birdemic. It's sooo bad you have to watch, or in this case, play the game.[/QUOTE]

It's actually more like a bad power point presentation, as there is no real video in the entire game. It's really bad, painfully so.

I watched my friend stream Plumbers Dont Wear Ties to an audience. It's pretty good for a "party", despite the original intentions of the game. Especially when you get to the NSFW parts lol.

Found a bunch of portable stuff and DVD's. Everything 5 or less

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Conker's Pocket Tales
Pokemon Blue
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Collector's Edition of Nightmare Before Christmas
Darkstalkers Chronicles
Mickey Mouse in Living Color

[quote name='Potatoeman']I watched my friend stream Plumbers Dont Wear Ties to an audience. It's pretty good for a "party", despite the original intentions of the game. Especially when you get to the NSFW parts lol.[/QUOTE]

NSFW? We bought the game and system specifically for use at my company, it's all SFW for us (we're a game development company, so typical SFW standards are pretty much non existent).

In any case, the NSFW parts are horrifying as they censor all female nudity with a really terrifying face.

For 3 bucks each, I found My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo. I would have been super happy to find either Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle or Laputa but eh, whatever.

[quote name='doodmandood']I know I am setting myself up for failure but I would love to walk into a pawn shop and find New Super Mario Bros and NSMBWii for like $5 bucks haha.[/QUOTE]

I used to see Super Nintendos in my shops all the time. The moment I decided I wanted to buy one, I never saw another one again. It's like Tetris. If you want the line piece, you have to not want the line piece. Otherwise you never get that shit.

Good stuff today.

Went to my nearby pawn shop and got tekken 6, sims 3, fable 3, banjo kazooei & viva pinata double pack for 360, CoD WaW for the wii, and Demon's Souls for PS3 for $30 even. Solid deal.

Went to another and bought two modern warfare 2's, a black ops, and dance central for $40 even. Dance Central is extremely good if you find one

Last edited by a moderator:
Found some PS1 games at a pawn today but the guy wanted to look up ebay prices. Still snagged FF VIII, FF IX, Silent Hill, RE 3 with the Dino Crisis bonus disk, and Futurama season 1 DVD set for $45. Not the best deal, but they were all in pretty nice shape and are ones I still needed. He wouldn't take cards though, so he set them aside and I need to come back with some cash :/

You're stronger than me. I would have just walked out as soon as he looked up ebay prices. Well not walked out but thanked him kindly and then walk out.

You have to chat them up. If they see you repeatedly and they form a relationship with you they're more likely to deal. I also try to get them to spill what they paid for them, I got him to blurt out that he paid $5 for the whole box (about 15 games), so I used that as a battering point and cherry picked everything that wasn't junk.

[quote name='aptanor']You have to chat them up. If they see you repeatedly and they form a relationship with you they're more likely to deal. I also try to get them to spill what they paid for them, I got him to blurt out that he paid $5 for the whole box (about 15 games), so I used that as a battering point and cherry picked everything that wasn't junk.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it sucks real hard when they go to eBay. The other day my dad went to a generally crappy pawn shop to ask about a compressor they had. After being given a price of $130, another employee told him he could go down to $100.

The manager saw this and got pissed for some reason, and told him that he can ban him whenever he wants. The prices there are ridiculous though, they never sell ANY GAMES. When you ask about unpriced games they immediately rush off to their computer to find what Gamestop has it for, and doesn't adjust accordingly; that's the exact price they put, and they never go down (rule of Pawn Shops for the uninitiated: NOTHING is set in stone).

Interesting that they don't rush off to check how much Gamestop gives in trade-in though :roll: Some poor sucker got a $1 for LA Noire when they could have at least gotten like $18 cash (back when it was still fairly new).

Haha! Went back today. Decided not to get RE3, but I got Silent Hill and FF VIII and IX for 30. Saw a few NES games I wanted but his prices were even worse than the PS1 game prices. Good thing he doesn't value last gen at all, I got Zone of the Enders for $5. He also had Conkers, but it was disk only and completely destroyed :(

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']^ Don't understand, sounds like a potential jackpot to me. I don't know of too many rare Xbox games, but a few standouts are the Fatal Frame games.[/QUOTE]

I looked.

Thousands of Madden games.

^ Man I hate learning about rare sports games, makes me wish I always look through them wherever I go, I saw a huge pile of sports games at the flea market the other day, will have to check it out Saturday.

Found some more stuff yesterday:
Metroid Other M, Super Smash Bros Melee, Drawn to Life (the sequel for the DS), Mirror's Edge, Bayonetta, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 for $40 out the door.

Assuming Naruto still has a $15-ish tiv, that'd be a nice flip, and now that I have a Wii I can finally play Other M.

Just got back from a Super Pawn. Hadn't been in for a few years, but it was next to a 7-11 so I wandered in to look at games.
Found an R4 card for my DSL for $5, and it came with a bonus 1gb microsd inside.

I also picked up a Wii console for $80. Its a black one with the motion plus extras, that included Wii sports and Sports Resorts. My wife opened it up in the car (it came in the box), and inside was an extra remote.

I don't know if they came that way, but it made us happy. So my son gets a Wii and we get another netflix player in the living room. Just wanted to share this with all.

Yesterday I took a drive out of town to visit a few pawn shops. I was having a very dry day and I think it was the forth or fifth pawn shop I went to I finally found somewhere that had a bunch of older games. Well I asked to see his N64 games since I did not see anything in the snes or nes box. and he handed me a bunch of games. In the bunch I found zelda OOT, Mario cart, Mario 64, and bad fur day! I asked how much he was selling the 64 games for and he told me 5 each I picked out them 4 games took them to pay he looked at them and said I cant sell these 2. In my head I was thinking bad fur day lol. The two he could not sell was mario cart and mario 64. he told me he could not sell them since he has to look up the price. I took home bad fur day and Zelda OOT for 10$

[quote name='jer7583']that madden 09 is unreliable. depends on who you have looking for it at the time

http://item.ebay.com/130578927216
$5
http://item.ebay.com/260849419411
$45

http://item.ebay.com/370544872733
$20
http://item.ebay.com/270822231372
$5
http://item.ebay.com/140592657153
$15

I'd say go for it if you find it for a few bucks but don't go crazy over it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Makes a huge difference that you could buy it on 360 also and there are subsequent versions. 2K3 was literally the last college basketball game on a Nintendo system if Im not mistaken and there were not many made.

[quote name='aptanor']Oh wow, I just googled that. What is it, like the NCAA 2k3 of the xbox?[/QUOTE]

Not that gamestop is the end all be all. I remember when that thing came out the employees looked at me like was nuts asking for it on the normal xbox (obviously thinking im the dumb ass because it only came out for 360) and I only remember ever seeing it at a non-gamestop store, and this was when it first came out. Can't remember now where I found it.

[quote name='X3R0102']Yesterday I took a drive out of town to visit a few pawn shops. I was having a very dry day and I think it was the forth or fifth pawn shop I went to I finally found somewhere that had a bunch of older games. Well I asked to see his N64 games since I did not see anything in the snes or nes box. and he handed me a bunch of games. In the bunch I found zelda OOT, Mario cart, Mario 64, and bad fur day! I asked how much he was selling the 64 games for and he told me 5 each I picked out them 4 games took them to pay he looked at them and said I cant sell these 2. In my head I was thinking bad fur day lol. The two he could not sell was mario cart and mario 64. he told me he could not sell them since he has to look up the price. I took home bad fur day and Zelda OOT for 10$[/QUOTE]
It's REALLY hard to find a great deal on Mario pretty much anywhere. I go hunting at the flea market and Pawn Shop to hunt for games ALL the time, and everyone's pretty wise to the value of Mario games. The Wii ones at least. $5 is pretty fair for those though, you REALLY knocked it out of the park with that Conker, wish I could find that one of these days.

The funny thing is he sent me to his other pawn shop about 10 miles away and there i got

2x Mario Cart
Mario Party 3
2x legends of zelda majora's mask ( One Holo One Not)
Paper Mario
legends of zelda ocarina of time

For 4$ Each Yea lets say I was really happy about that

Also picked up 2 sega saturn games for 6$ Area 51 and Myst

bread's done
Back