Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='TheHelix']Local pawn shop was a bust. $55 for a used copy of Black Ops? $15 for 5 year old 360 titles? No thanks.[/QUOTE]
Just remember to not go there. Nothing worse than Pawn Shops who think they're Gamestop.

Found a good enough deal today, LA Noire PS3 and New Super Mario Bros Wii (came in a mario branded sleeve thing) marked $15 each. Talked to the guy if he can do $24 for both, but it comes out for $25, which is still good.

Hearing you guys talk about these pawn shops is actually kind of a downer. I had been thinking about visiting a few but now I'm not sure I even want to bother.

I guess I'm just disturbed by the whole practice of them refusing to sell it until they look it up on eBay and all that mess. Kind of pisses me off. If they aren't going to do their homework ahead of time and have an idea of how much they want for it off hand, I don't want to stand around and wait while they go online and then tell me they want a premium price for it.

[quote name='JoshTX']Hearing you guys talk about these pawn shops is actually kind of a downer. I had been thinking about visiting a few but now I'm not sure I even want to bother.

I guess I'm just disturbed by the whole practice of them refusing to sell it until they look it up on eBay and all that mess. Kind of pisses me off. If they aren't going to do their homework ahead of time and have an idea of how much they want for it off hand, I don't want to stand around and wait while they go online and then tell me they want a premium price for it.[/QUOTE]

The pawn shop I used to go to several times a week started doing this a few months ago. I go maybe once a month now, since their prices are no longer good, let alone decent. We went in a couple days ago and the majority of the games they had last month were still there.

I hope they are starting to realize that when their prices were lower, we bought up a TON of their inventory. They made less money per item, but made up for it in moved inventory. Now they potentially make more per item, but are obviously selling A LOT less. This also poses a problem because their game case is already stuffed to the max, so they have less room for new merchandise.

I may stop in this week and see if they want to sell a huge chunk at a bundle price.

It all depends on the store. There is one here who constantly gets amazing stuff, but he's taken to looking everything up, so I don't bother going there anymore. I just try to remember which stores are worth visiting and work them in to my route.

Last week I picked up Breath of Fire 2 for SNES ($1) and Mr. Do! for SNES ($1) at my local Pawn America. That was awesome because I haven't gone there in a while because they were jacking up their prices so much, like you guys have experienced.

In FL (and possibly elsewhere), La Familia Pawn Shop started up about 6 months or so ago. Apparently, the owner of Value Pawn sold to easy pawn and took some of that money and started La Familia. I find their prices cheaper than most other paws, like Value Pawn was back in the day.

In the last few weeks, I've gotten (all complete) all the following from the one next to me

Valkyrie Profile 2 (PS2)
Ico (PS2)
Final Fantasy X Black label (PS2)
Republic Commando (XBX)
Resident Evil 4 Limited Edition (PS2)
Wizardy Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2)
Shadow Hearts (PS2) - Sold for $23

All of these were $1 - $2.50 apiece. I missed out on Super Mario Sunshine, Pokemon XD, and Ninja Gaiden Black. Not a bad haul, I'm able to replace my existing copies without manuals and sell the rest.

Saw 3 for $30 on ps3/360/ds/wii games. Borderlands GOTY and Marvel vs Capcom 3 for ps3 looked tempting. I couldn't find a 3rd game.

I also saw a 32 Ipod Touch that wouldn't charge, guy running the store said he wanted $55 and you had the to hold the charging cable just right.

[quote name='Otherguy676']In FL (and possibly elsewhere), La Familia Pawn Shop started up about 6 months or so ago. Apparently, the owner of Value Pawn sold to easy pawn and took some of that money and started La Familia. I find their prices cheaper than most other paws, like Value Pawn was back in the day.

In the last few weeks, I've gotten (all complete) all the following from the one next to me

Valkyrie Profile 2 (PS2)
Ico (PS2)
Final Fantasy X Black label (PS2)
Republic Commando (XBX)
Resident Evil 4 Limited Edition (PS2)
Wizardy Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2)
Shadow Hearts (PS2) - Sold for $23

All of these were $1 - $2.50 apiece. I missed out on Super Mario Sunshine, Pokemon XD, and Ninja Gaiden Black. Not a bad haul, I'm able to replace my existing copies without manuals and sell the rest.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that like kinda rare? I know for a fact that the GC version was at least semi-rare, but I remember seeing the PS2 LE being worth significantly more?

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Isn't that like kinda rare? I know for a fact that the GC version was at least semi-rare, but I remember seeing the PS2 LE being worth significantly more?[/QUOTE]

Not really. I just sold mine on Amazon last month for like $8-9.

There is a pawn shop I visit every few months on the way home from work. Last week they had a BUNCH of new stuff and I ended up getting a discount from the lady working there (she gave me the same price on $10 GBA games as the DS games I picked up).
Pokemon Emerald - $6
Pokemon Ruby - $6
120 gb 360 hard drive - $20
Xbox 360 wireless controller - $20
R4 for the DS - $6 (I personally wouldn't buy this in general but I figured, eh...it's in a pawn store so it's not going to hurt anyone at this point....), had Super Princess Peach, which I've been searching for my 4 year old for quite some time.

Today I stopped back in and got:
Red Dead Redemption (complete) - $8
Pikmin 2 (gamecube-complete) - $3

I asked the same lady about new ds games they had out that weren't priced and she gave me the following for $3 each:
Warioware Touched
Starfox Command
Nintendogs
Sonic Rush.

Nice lady (a Cash America - very clean store), nice prices, yeah!

Pretty good scores today:

Tiger Woods 12 (PS3)
Little Big Planet 2 (PS3)
$16

Mass Effect Collector's Edition (No Slipcover) (360)
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (360)
$12

Just found these at a shop I've never been to

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Xbox $5
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II Xbox $5
Aquaman Xbox $3 (always wanted to play this one but didn't wannna pay much for it)

My pawn seems to charge a flat rate based on what console it's for, which is great for valuable games but crap for cheaper games. GBA games are $5, DS games are $10, cartridge based systems are generally $5. I picked up Minish Cap for $5.

[quote name='X3R0102']
2x Mario Cart[/QUOTE] Mario Kart

[quote name='paulwekiva']
120 gb 360 hard drive - $20
Nice lady (a Cash America - very clean store), nice prices, yeah![/QUOTE]
NICE

Local pawn shop used to have a ton of classic games at $1 - $3 a piece, but I haven't been in months due to being too busy with work.

Went in a week ago, noticed they only had current gen stuff and they told me they dumped all the classic stuff and no longer sell it. They actually recommended me to the Play N' Trade that they sold all of the stuff to.

Lame.

Today I got the Star Wars Trilogy (IV, V, VI) on Blu ray for $20, not a super price but it is in like new condition. They had episodes I, II, III for the same price but i passed on it

Got a copy of Battlefield 3 Limited Edition for the ps3 for $9.99 today. I'm Going to flip it on ebay but they left the online code in the box not sure how to test it to see if it's still valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DeadStranger']Got a copy of Battlefield Limited Edition for the ps3 for $9.99 today. I'm Going to flip it on ebay but they left the online code in the box not sure how to test it to see if it's still valid.[/QUOTE]
Type it in.
PSN asks for verification before actually redeeming.

I just scored at a Value Pawn today

I got:
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Super Smash Bros
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Super Mario 64
for $1 each.
also got
Yu Yu Hakusho - The Saga of the Three Kings
for $6. I know nothing about anime other than that it sells for 50 bucks on amazon. I'm stoked about my stuff.

Super Mario Allstars
Donkey Kong Country
PS2 8MB memory card
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (in Crash Bandicoot: Warped case)

$15 total. Nothing great but I needed a memory card so I'm happy with it.

Random stop at the local pawn shop, $3 for all.

2012-03-07155310.jpg

jpg-14.jpg

$15 total, complete except Kuon lacks a manual. The fact that I keep coming in and buying their older stuff might be the only thing making them keep taking it, seeing as it seems nobody else does :V

Scored a complete copy of Fatal Frame in pretty good condition for $2.

The pawn shop is about 20 minutes out of the way, but they always have great prices.

Edit: And I wish I wasn't playing it right now because this game is still way too terrifying >.>

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's not exactly a pawn shop per se, but yesterday at Buybacks I saw a PS3 Mass Effect 3 mistakenly marked $14.99, and I didn't attempt to buy it because I'm a complete idiot. It was gone today, which leads me to believe someone scored big.

[quote name='wugenius']@SNESguy:
Holy Crap! War of the Gems! I used to play that alot on the SNES.[/QUOTE]

haha I actually haven't had a chance to play it yet >.

[quote name='Survivalism']I know it's not exactly a pawn shop per se, but yesterday at Buybacks I saw a PS3 Mass Effect 3 mistakenly marked $14.99, and I didn't attempt to buy it because I'm a complete idiot. It was gone today, which leads me to believe someone scored big.[/QUOTE]

Buybacks pricing is odd. Sometimes they have really good deals and other times they want $20 for a Super Mario World cart. Back when Brawl came out, I got a like new copy of it at a Buybacks for $30 only 2 weeks after release. The disc and instruction booklet looked like they had not even been touched.

Couple weeks ago I saw that a Cash America had the Dead Rising 2 High Stakes Edition for $140 (Its currently available for $60 on Capcom's store). Went back a couple days ago and it was gone so I assume someone bought it for that price.

[quote name='elgato10x']Buybacks pricing is odd. Sometimes they have really good deals and other times they want $20 for a Super Mario World cart. Back when Brawl came out, I got a like new copy of it at a Buybacks for $30 only 2 weeks after release. The disc and instruction booklet looked like they had not even been touched.[/QUOTE]
You hit the nail on the head! They have nice deals every once in a while...normally when I don't have money but eh. The last thing I bought from them was Fable 2 Limited edition for $15. They do have a nice selection of older gen games too.

Well the local pawn shop called me yesterday saying they had some classic games in. So I dropped by on my way to work and picked up

12 cart only genesis
5 CIB genesis
2 super nintendo
2 n64

All for $20

2012-03-29_10-32-24_182.jpg

Just under $60 for the following:

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Wind Waker (missing manual)
Yoshi's Cookie
Donkey Kong Country 3
Wario's Woods
Super Mario All Stars
Super Metroid
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mario Golf
Starfox 64
Ocarina of Time
TMNT 3 Manhattan Project

I was excited to walk in and see Conker's staring at me, and I have been looking for the Zelda Gamecube games so this was a nice surprise. Almost didn't go today but I'm glad I did.

[quote name='frostybroc']Just did a trip here in Tampa, they pretty much sucked. Value pawn was trying to sell Borderlands for 40 bucks. WTF, better off sticking to craigslist. If you go on a slow day you usually can haggle a price, same for flea markets.[/QUOTE]

I know this is a super late question to when you first posted this, but is that the large pawn shop located on Fowler, next to University Mall?

[quote name='aptanor']
IMG_20120413_130436.jpg

Bothe the steelbooks have a bit of wear, but they're complete and the disks are minty, and RR is mint. $10.
[/QUOTE]

Dang Nice deal there. I think the Doom 3 one is worth something.....at least at my local buybacks!

Went to local pawn shop today and I found a Tritton AX 720 headset for $10!!! Reason for price so low? Missing mic (which I can order from gameshark and only pay shipping)

lol @ mrx001 My pawn shop wants $40 for a pretty rough set of donkey kong country 1 -3. but ive bought multiples seperately for $2 each haha.

on that note, after a pretty crappy day of yardsale-ing
(best thing i bought was the mortal kombat movies on dvd for $1)
I stopped at my local pawn, to my surprise they actually had Nintendo games.
(Ive bought tons of genesis from them for fifty cents each)

NES - Yoshi's Cookie
Castlevania II - Simons Quest
Twin Cobra
Top Gun

SNES - The Lion King
Mickey Mania
Home Alone 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Populous
Monopoly
Donkey kong Country 2

All For $20

2012-04-14_13-47-18_771.jpg

Also, Its weird as hell. In three months of going to yard sales, weekly trips to the pawn shop,
and daily trips to the thrift store, I have NOT seen ONE PS1 game 0_o

My lawn shop was pretty pathetic when I checked it last week. Only had one 360 game (soccer). Guessing everyone got wise that the game shop 3 blocks over gives you fair value.

For ~$50:

Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon 360 (minty and complete)
Shatter Hand NES
Jet Grind Radio Dreamcast
Super Mario Allstars SNES
Zombies Ate My Neighbors SNES
TMNT IV Turtles in Time SNES
Donkey Kong Country SNES
Digimon World DS
Nintendo 64 AC Adapter

Also got a PS1 Gameshark (version 3.3) for $3 at Goodwill. Spyro sells for about 40, but I'm debating whether or not to keep it.

Today I stopped by a Gun and Pawn Shop just outside my neighborhood and I didn't notice anything electronic in there besides a VCR, and a Verizon FiOS remote. I did see a set of ninja swords though. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I really hope I find an interesting pawn shop soon. :cry:

BTW, leecy, awesome finds on Spyro, Dokey Kong, Mario, and Digimon! :D

bread's done
Back