Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']You probably wont have any luck then I live in a city with like 20 pawn shops and most of them do suck and are overpriced like you say, only a few have great deals. It's not just persistence it depends on where you live and how many pawn shops are around you the more there are the better chance to find deals.[/QUOTE]

I won't find anything then. At least not within like a 10 mile radius. I'll have to hit up some bigger cities and do some looking next time I'm truly out and about.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']You probably wont have any luck then I live in a city with like 20 pawn shops and most of them do suck and are overpriced like you say, only a few have great deals. It's not just persistence it depends on where you live and how many pawn shops are around you the more there are the better chance to find deals.[/QUOTE]

There is only 1 Pawn Shop with anything I would want in my City. Too bad they don't sell cart games. :/

[quote name='TTGSteve']I won't find anything then. At least not within like a 10 mile radius. I'll have to hit up some bigger cities and do some looking next time I'm truly out and about.[/QUOTE]

You could get lucky like I did. They just opened a pawn shop here, probably the only one for 200 miles. First 6 months they had carts at ebay prices (like $15 for Genesis MK3)

I stopped in one day for shits-n-giggles and they had just started repricing carts at 0.50 each.
(well genesis and N64 anyway. they want $1 - 3 for nes/nes. I usually manage to haggle them to less than a buck because I buy all of them.)

So yea I stop in there weekly and usually pull a huge haul from them monthly. ;)

Anyway, just made my weekly stop. No games but I did get:

Super Mario Bro. the movie
batman/batman returns/batman forever/ batman & robin batman collection

$2 total. have a long weekend off work. looks like I'm in for some 90s goodness :cool:

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']Got a NuMark turntable for $10 today. It was marked damaged, so I asked what was wrong with it.

"Oh, it's just been here too long. We marked it damaged so we could get rid of it."

Works perfect.
Same as this one.

tt-200.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

Went back and picked this one up for $10 as well. They couldn't sell it to me the first day because it was marked as sold already in the computer. Had to go back Monday while a manager was there.

5363d1224831359-sale-numark-tt1625-dual-start-stop-direct-drive-dj-turntable-zurich-numarktt1625.jpg

[quote name='SnesGuy']You could get lucky like I did. They just opened a pawn shop here, probably the only one for 200 miles. First 6 months they had carts at ebay prices (like $15 for Genesis MK3)

I stopped in one day for shits-n-giggles and they had just started repricing carts at 0.50 each.
(well genesis and N64 anyway. they want $1 - 3 for nes/nes. I usually manage to haggle them to less than a buck because I buy all of them.)

So yea I stop in there weekly and usually pull a huge haul from them monthly. ;)

Anyway, just made my weekly stop. No games but I did get:

Super Mario Bro. the movie
batman/batman returns/batman forever/ batman & robin batman collection

$2 total. have a long weekend off work. looks like I'm in for some 90s goodness :cool:[/QUOTE]

Good point, man. I'll stop in and check something out, then. Hell, what do I have to lose? 5 minutes of my time? lol. Plus, if things are overpriced, I can practice my negotiation skills. ;)

I SCORED!

I sold my copy of The World Ends with You on eBay last week, not knowing it was gonna be $20 on Amazon the same week. I had seller's remorse so stopped by my local pawn shop to waste my $25 I got from the sale. I played it a few times and didn't care for it.

First Shop:
Tomb Raider Underworld PS2 complete - $2.50 (This place had a ton of PS2 and I wanted to play this, no matter how crappy it may be)

Second Shop:
Darkwatch PS2 disc only - $2.50 (I passed on this for $5 several times already and the shop was going more toward guns/archery and less games and TVs)

Third and final shop (they had a ton of stuff for PS3, 360, DS, and PS2):
Pokemon Soulsilver card only - $7.50
The World Ends with You card only - $7.50 (Gonna try it again, if not sell it again.
Tales of the Abyss PS2 SEALED! - $5.00 (It's at the end of my PS2 backlog, and for sale/trade, when it's the next game to play, I'll check values. I'd rather have it on 3DS, but PS2 will be fine for now.)

Overall a pretty good day to be me with $25!

So funny story, I hope I didn't already tell this one before. I had my first big score at a Pawn Shop so I decided to go to others in the area. I started with the next closest one to me and I got there and it was very weird because it was a small little building but I figured that probably just meant less musical instruments, motorcycles, etc.

So I go in there and it is all bullet proof glass everywhere and tell you to wait until you are called, again I'm thinking this is kind of weird but whatever. I eventually get called up, they ask how they can help me and I told them I was there to shop. They laughed and told me they only pawn there everything to sell goes to their other location 30 miles away. That was a little bit of my life I'll never get back along with some nice embarrassing story to tell!

18 months ago I went to a nearby pawn with my dad. I was frustrated because they priced pikmin 2, zelda ce, windwaker, and twilight princess all at ebay prices - about $30 each.

I guess I got the last laugh, though, as I was in there with my dad again this weekend and they still have all of those games. They had more GC, PS2, and xbox crapware than I've see in a long time.

edited to add they had a cart-only copy of docomodake boing for ds going for the bargain price of $14.

[quote name='Olengie']I hate walking into a pawn shop and I'm the only there other than the employees.[/QUOTE]

I do too!

My third stop today had a lot of cars on the lot, but there were 5 employees and 1 other customer inside. Luckily the girl let me do whatever I wanted so I found some cool stuff.

Exactly. They're nice and all but its awkward when they're looking at me while I'm browsing the one section I have interest in. Haha.

There's certain pawn shops locally i wont go in. There's a few where they wont give you two seconds to look around and they have all the game stuff behind the counter, while I'm looking at the games they're standing RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME. It just drives me nuts, it's just like leave me alone unless I ask for your help/want to buy something. I know they think it's customer service but I think it's a customer disservice. You can be friendly to a customer without hounding them.

It's not customer service. I know a couple people that own and run pawn shops, and because they have so much money on hand at all times they get robbed far more often then a normal store. If they're off doing stuff while you're at the counter it gives a criminal a chance to hold them up. If they're standing in front of you it let's you know they're watching you and gives criminals less chance to get a jump on them.

Heck of a couple of days today and yesterday.

Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS): 12.99
Mario Clash (Virtual Boy): 4.99
Mario Tennis (Virtual Boy): 4.99
Terminator 2 (Game Gear): 2.00
Axe Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe (Game Gear): 2.99
Dragon Crystal (Game Gear): 2.99
Mario Kart (Wii): 8.00
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS2): 3.00
Onimusha 2 (PS2): 3.00
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition (PS2): 3.00
Mark of Kri (PS2): 3.00
Pokemon Yellow (GB): 1.99

The Pokemon and Mario Kart are for sale, rest are for me. Considering selling Mario Clash or Marvel vs Capcom 2 since they're worth a solid chunk, but I think I'll hang onto them.

There's one of those white Japanese arcade cabinets sitting outside of a dirty pawn right now where I live. Dunno how it got up here. I wish I could take a pic but I can't since I drove by it and I can't take a picture while I am driving. Also I can't buy it since I have absolutely no where to put it.

I got two really nice condition black Gamecubes from one of the local shops today for 30 even. Seemed like a fairly decent price. Asking price was 20 for each. I'm kinda new at looking for gaming stuff in the pawn shops though.

Havent been to a pawnshop recently but out of all my lifetime visits i've found (good deal wise)

Shadow hearts(just the game and fake case) for $7 EASY FLIP

that's it lol, my friend found Koudelka(damn near mint), not sure how much but I got it off him for $15 :)

I have a great relationship with my local pawnshop. The place is very clean and nice looking and they know me by name and I gave them a list of stuff I need and they always call me when they have stuff i am looking for in stock

They generally charge $3 for NES cartridges (unles it's a Mario, but I got those anyway) and $5 for n64 games and loose Gamecube games and Gameboy games. $10 bucks for complete Gamecube games, and they sell all types of other good stuff.

Anyways the best purchases I've made from them besides individual games (using prices mentioned above) =

Sega Dreamcast Brand New Sealed $55 (Felt so good not having to do any cleaning)

Black Gamecube, everything included with box, but not sealed $40. Not a
single scratch on the nameplate or controller. Memory card too

Like New Official ps3 controller $18

Legend of Dragoon complete for $10

GREAT day

Uncharted 3: 12.99
$10.00 for the following 6 disc only games.
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2 disc only)
Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox disc only)
Rayman 3 (Xbox disc only)
Doom 3 (Xbox disc only)
Elder Scrolls Morrowind (Xbox disc only)
Max Payne 2 (Xbox disc only)

Valkyrie Profile 2: 8.99

And the big find:

Jet Force Gemini Not for Resale: 4.99!!!!

Twlight Princess $7 CIB for GC and two days later found a platinum GC Mint with two controllers for $20. Talk about luck.

Been having some great scores lately.

Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year Edition Hardcover guide - $6
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Hardcover Collector's Edition 2nd Edition guide - $6
:br: The Walking Dead Season One - $12
The Walking Dead Book Four graphic novel - $10

[quote name='bmack26']Twlight Princess $7 CIB for GC and two days later found a platinum GC Mint with two controllers for $20. Talk about luck.[/QUOTE]

There's been a GC Twilight Princess in my pawn since they opened for $25 that I've had my eye on. Maybe I can get him to cut me a deal now lol

[quote name='SnesGuy']There's been a GC Twilight Princess in my pawn since they opened for $25 that I've had my eye on. Maybe I can get him to cut me a deal now lol[/QUOTE]

I know how that goes, there is a pawn near me with ebay priced games in a glass case, including 3 copies of Twilight Princess for $25 that have been there for about a year. They recently pulled a few NES games out and priced them regularly; I bought Street Fighter 2010 and Guardian Legend for $3/each (originally $10). Might be worth a shot to ask them.

Had some good luck at the pawns lately, got the first two pics for right under $40:

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Morrowind GOTY disc (I actually have an empty case/manual for this)
SW Battlefront no manual
LoTR: War in the North
Scarface no manual
Doom 3
SW Republic Commando
Resident Evil 2 (manual is there but water damaged and ruined)

DKC
DKC 2 complete :cool:

Found these at a pawn I visit every now and then for $10:

Oracle of Ages
Pokemon Crystal

Paid $3 each for these:

Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Super Mario 64
Snowboard Kids 2
Pokemon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2

[quote name='leecy']Had some good luck at the pawns lately, got the first two pics for right under $40:

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Morrowind GOTY disc (I actually have an empty case/manual for this)
SW Battlefront no manual
LoTR: War in the North
Scarface no manual
Doom 3
SW Republic Commando
Resident Evil 2 (manual is there but water damaged and ruined)

DKC
DKC 2 complete :cool:

Found these at a pawn I visit every now and then for $10:

Oracle of Ages
Pokemon Crystal

Paid $3 each for these:

Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Super Mario 64
Snowboard Kids 2
Pokemon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2[/QUOTE]

So lucky. My local Pawn Shop doesn't take carts anymore. Makes me wonder what they had before that. :/ And I just started going to it, so that makes late. Haha

Picked this up for around $27:

Final Fantasy X
Shadow Hearts
Dark Cloud
Mario Party 5
Lords Royal Collection
Mario Party 64

I had passed a few times on Lords; I didn't realize it was a rare/valuable game. It sucks that as soon as I buy Mario Party for N64 on ebay I find two copies on the cheap in a week.

That is awesome.

Got a few things at Half Price Books today. Not amazing prices but not bad.

Donkey Kong Country 2: 9.99
Indiana Jones Infernal Machine: 9.99
Sega Six Pack: 4.99
Golden Sun Lost Age 7.99

They just marked them down 50% because they sat there forever.

Saints Row 3 (PS3)
Fight Night Champion (PS3)
Resident Evil 5 Gold edition (PS3)
Call of Duty Black Ops (PS3)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
New Super Mario Brothers (Wii)
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3)
Mortal Kombat (360)

All for $80

Portal 2 (360) no case $5

I was discussing Conker with people yesterday and someone said that Goodwill only sells games online now? Is this true? There's actually one near me but it's the only thrift/pawn shop for miles.

@pixi Yeah, goodwill has their own auction site for a couple of years now where they place their rare items on. There are tons of collectors on that auction site so trying to get some rare stuff at a cheap price is nearly impossible.

[quote name='pixi']I was discussing Conker with people yesterday and someone said that Goodwill only sells games online now? Is this true? There's actually one near me but it's the only thrift/pawn shop for miles.[/QUOTE]

That is sometimes true. The two Goodwills in my area do sell their videogames. Others will sell their stuff online too.

[quote name='pixi']I was discussing Conker with people yesterday and someone said that Goodwill only sells games online now? Is this true? There's actually one near me but it's the only thrift/pawn shop for miles.[/QUOTE]
Entirely depends on the store. Luckily the one here isn't part of "Shopgoodwill" yet.

Had a decent pickup, should've passed on some of these.

$5 each (all GH unless noted)
Parasite Eve
Xenogears
Final Fantasy 9
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy 8 (black label)
Wild Arms (black label)

$7 each
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
SMT Digital Devil Saga 2
SMT Nocturne
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 4

Unfortunately, none of the rpgs have manuals and some of the cover art is ruined on the PS2 ones. Plus with the PS1 games being mostly GH versions, I'm not really sure I did too well on this pickup. Most of this is going into my collection; maybe I can pick up some case/manuals on the cheap for the PS2 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found these at my favorite pawn shop the other day for $16:

Zelda: Wind Waker
Pikmin
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Chronicles of Narnia 4-disc DVD

[quote name='leecy']Found Super Smash Bros 64 and Gunstar Heroes cart only for $11 today. Also grabbed a Superpad 64 controller for $4.[/QUOTE]

you find way too much good stuff

Just had to post, I had bought a ipad2 32g at my local pawn shop & felt I got a great deal for $280.00. After i haggeled a bit! it's almost brand new, but here's the kicker! Today, I just checked the serial number on the apple web site & it's an ipad3 :)

[quote name='fullhavok']Just had to post, I had bought a ipad2 32g at my local pawn shop & felt I got a great deal for $280.00. After i haggeled a bit! it's almost brand new, but here's the kicker! Today, I just checked the serial number on the apple web site & it's an ipad3 :)[/QUOTE]

Personally wouldn't pay $20 for one, but congrats on your deal (I think)

I found Baten Kaitos Origins complete for $6ish and thought I had Tales of Symphonia, but disc 2 had been replaced with outlaw golf.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Personally wouldn't pay $20 for one, but congrats on your deal (I think)[/QUOTE]

What a shitty, worthless post.

[quote name='fullhavok']Just had to post, I had bought a ipad2 32g at my local pawn shop & felt I got a great deal for $280.00. After i haggeled a bit! it's almost brand new, but here's the kicker! Today, I just checked the serial number on the apple web site & it's an ipad3 :)[/QUOTE]

not sure it was a great deal for a 2 (local craigs has been dropping like crazy this week...) but for a 3?, I'd be tickled pink!
congrats

bread's done
Back