Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Wii $14.99 at BEST BUY

Gosha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just picked this up in the value dump bin for $14.99 at Best Buy. I was surprised to see it in there. I don't think its YMMV either since there was another sticker put on the sealed plastic over the UPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gosha']
Edit - I meant Dawn of the New World. Just forgot the title when posting.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just change the thread title...

[quote name='Squarehard']Why don't you just change the thread title...[/QUOTE]

Title edited, didn't take note of the advanced options.

I don't think it is on the web site because it is a value bin game, something cheap for people to grab during black friday, unadvertised.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven']How does this stack up to Abyss and Vesperia?[/QUOTE]

Everything I've read about it says its subpar and to only pick it up if you REALLY want more story to go with Symphonia, though its far below Symphonia.

the main character is awful for the first 12+ hours, I mean, just brutal.
But the battle mechanics are fun, especially for co-op folks
I though it was better than legendia and abyss

Picked up a copy in Rockville, MD, 1 copy left. It wasn't in the clearance bin at my store, so be sure to check the regular shelves. Not sure if I'll keep it, reviews seem so so.

For the people that are buying this, is it scanning for $14.99 or does the price have to be manually adjusted down?

Definitely worth $14.99, but way inferior to the original Symphonia. Emil, the main character, is the biggest whiner I've ever encountered in an RPG, and you're stuck with him the entire game. Though to be fair, there are segments where he temporarily becomes cooler.

I've never played a Tales game before so should I get this? Or should I just wait out to the eventual ToV for PS3 or ToG for Wii?

[quote name='pram12']I've never played a Tales game before so should I get this? Or should I just wait out to the eventual ToV for PS3 or ToG for Wii?[/QUOTE]

If you've never played a Tales game then get Tales of Symphonia. It's a good introduction to the series. Then play this game since it's a direct sequel.

Then, if you want more Tales, play Abyss.

[quote name='willardhaven']I would stay start with Vesperia, I think it's the best one.[/QUOTE]

though if you start with Versperia, you may not be able to endure some of the less technologically advanced Tales games. I'd say start with Symphonia, the Wii Tales, and then the rare PS2 ones (Abyss and Legendia) and then move onto Vesperia.

You'll appreciate the advancement a whole lot more ;-)

[quote name='willardhaven']I would stay start with Vesperia, I think it's the best one.[/QUOTE]

I'd say start with Tales of Destiny for the playstation or Tales of Phantasia on the GBA, then work your way up

In order to shed some light on this, this is actually a Holiday dump bin title for $14.99. Therefore, in order for it to ring up $14.99 it needs to have the UPC sticker over the normal UPC. The copies in the store without the Holiday Dump bin UPC will ring up for $29.99. So if you want to get this for $14.99, make sure you pick up the copy of the game in the Holiday dump bin with the correct UPC.

Had these in my cart and decided to wait until later ... big mistake.
If Amazon sets this and Klonoa back to $9.98 I'll pay the cost, shipping and a small fee for both games. :)

[quote name='Ryukahn']Everything I've read about it says its subpar and to only pick it up if you REALLY want more story to go with Symphonia, though its far below Symphonia.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with this. The battle system is just as fun as any other Tales game, but I'll be damned if a lot of the time "playing" the game is spent watching cutscenes with cringe-worthy dialogue. The main character is pretty wimpy and is usually whining about how he can't do anything right... A pity, because Lloyd was all kinds of badass. And all the conversations are really cheesy... Definitely liked ToS more than this one.

[quote name='willardhaven']It's sad really, I went back to play Symphonia (I only got up to the water temple) and it was so dull compared to Vesperia.[/QUOTE]

Really? For me, it's the other way around. I played through Symphonia 6 times but I couldn't really get into Vesperia, as much as I wanted to. I did pick up Dawn of the New World for $10, though.

I missed out on Amazon's $10 deal, but found this today at Brookfield, WI. At least 1 remaining at that store. Thanks OP.

Strange thing is, I checked 3 days ago and it was still $30.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']I missed out on Amazon's $10 deal, but found this today at Brookfield, WI. At least 1 remaining at that store. Thanks OP.

Strange thing is, I checked 3 days ago and it was still $30.[/QUOTE]

You probably got one with the Holiday Dump bin sticker UPC over the plastic wrap. The one without the sticker UPC rings up $29.99.

There were atleast 3-4 in Green Bay WI's Best Buy during the middle of last week. Also had Lock's Quest for 15 bucks (didn't bite that one though).

I picked up one. Thanks OP

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I saw this and fucked up because I didn't actually buy it and now it is gone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude, I had this and Klonoa in my cart at Amazon and choked. Now they're like $50 for both. :(

[quote name='BIG5']Really? For me, it's the other way around. I played through Symphonia 6 times but I couldn't really get into Vesperia, as much as I wanted to. I did pick up Dawn of the New World for $10, though.[/QUOTE]

I've played throught ToS at least 3 times and I think it's one of my favorite games. I was even able to get the devil's arms.

I have yet to play any of the other tales games:(

For anyone who didn't find a copy last week, I went to bb today to pick up dead space and they had added in a bunch of copies of Dawn of the New World in the bargain bin at 14.99.

I stopped by a week and a half ago and they didn't have any in the bin. So, you might want to check again, if there weren't any copies in the bargain bin the first time. My bb put in at least 10 copies.

bread's done
Back