Tales of the abyss PS2 $19.99 at GS (USED) was $44.99

[quote name='spbusdriver']Working at a Gamestop I think the recent price drop was due to them switching all their new copies of Abyss to used. Living in San Diego 4 of our stores received practically pristine condition case and disc. Once Gamestop get rid of the excess stock they will undoubtedly raise it back up. If you live in east San Diego sorry but I bought the 3 of the 4 copies.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but I think it is clear this is a reprint. Different case, different spindle code as well as there was no new stock available from GS before this. Also, new copies are selling for a huge premium online.

Just got my copy and it's pristine just like others have stated. The Gamestop used sticker came off easily without leaving a trace as well. Very nice. ^_^ The reprinted case is a bit on the flimsier side so I may replace it if I can get a hold of a better case. Props to the OP and those who confirmed this reprint. This was one of the few PS2 games that I always wanted but never was able to get and with the prices that this game was going for new I was saddened that I wouldn't ever get to play this one.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Fortunately I live near the cost in San Diego, so I was able to pick up the last copy (at least that's what the guy told me) at the Del Mar GS. I may check their inventory online tomorrow when it should be updated.

As others have said, pristine condition....doesn't look like the disk has ever been touched and no shelfwear on the case.

Now I just need to figure out why I bought this game. Never heard about it before this thread, but everyone was so psyched about it I figured I should pick it up while I could. At least I have a first-gen PS3 with hardware BC so I can play it w/o buying a PS2.[/QUOTE]

Cool! Tales games rock. I'm pretty sure there is one part that you can't pass on the PS3 tho and you need an old PS2 to get past it.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']Cool! Tales games rock. I'm pretty sure there is one part that you can't pass on the PS3 tho and you need an old PS2 to get past it.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I thought the first-gen PS3s basically had the PS2 hardware built-in so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues (unlike the second-gen which had software emulation for PS2 support).

I already played MGS 1 and 2 and GoW 1 and 2 on it w/o any problems, so hopefully what you recall is based on the PS2 software emulation version of the PS3.

[quote name='pookninja']got a copy of it today at a local gamestop .mint condition like everyone else got.[/QUOTE]

Wow, they still have this sitting around? Good catch!

Yeah just checked the location tracker and almost every gamestop around me has a copy, just a few weeks ago none had it, and the online stock still shows 100. They must have gotten a serious number of copies.

That's crazy. I'm glad I didn't go through an major effort to get my copy last week, but I was feeling pretty luckly that I got the last copy. And I just checked and the 2 closest stores still don't have it in stock, so maybe I was lucky:)

To those with any doubts: This is 100% a reprint, or something like it.

I purchased a copy from a Gamestop today. It was mint with manual and cover art untouched. The only issue is that they put the discs in those paper sleeves(And even that isn't TOO much of an issue).

Rest assured that your $20ish will be worth it when you buy it. =)

Also, thanks CAG for the tip.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']That's crazy. I'm glad I didn't go through an major effort to get my copy last week, but I was feeling pretty luckly that I got the last copy. And I just checked and the 2 closest stores still don't have it in stock, so maybe I was lucky:)[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, mine was a "last copy" as well. Makes it feel special. :)

Oh, and to those wondering if the price will plummet for re-selling, I have a theory.

While the overall value WILL most likely take a hit, I think that copies with the memory card holder will still retain some value, maybe $25-$30ish, while the "reprint" copies with the new PS2 case will be worth a bit less. Just my two cents, today has been a good day for me. =D

Glad to hear these are still available. I hesitated at first but might order one now. I'm still paranoid with my luck I'll get the one non-"reprint" copy with generic case and no manual. Nearest GameStop is a 90-minute drive if I need to swap out.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']While the overall value WILL most likely take a hit, I think that copies with the memory card holder will still retain some value, maybe $25-$30ish, while the "reprint" copies with the new PS2 case will be worth a bit less. Just my two cents, today has been a good day for me. =D[/QUOTE]
What if you swap the new case out? ;)

Only the sealed copy might retain some value now.

I've never heard of a game selling for more because it comes in an older style PS2 case while everything else is the exact same.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']I was mostly talking in terms of used. Of course a sealed game will retain a higher value... that's expensive shrinkwrap![/QUOTE]

There are no differences between the two copies besides the actual case being used. I don't know of, or have heard of, anyone paying a substantial extra (if any extra) for something of that nature ever. The cover art and everything else is the same so no one is going to go out of their way to buy a so-called "original" where the case could easily be swapped out anyhow.

A couple of us listed the numbers along the spine/spindle of the disk and the original and reprints are different, so it is more than the case.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']A couple of us listed the numbers along the spine of the disk and the original and reprints are different, so it is more than the case.[/QUOTE]

The only times the numbers on the disc matter are when the game content is altered. However, no gameplay differences have been noted between this and the original print. No content has been added or taken away. Just because the case design is different (which can easily be switched) and the numbers on the bottom of the disc are altered (which no one reads anyway, the UPC would make a difference in listings if anything). Valuable games like Nocturne were reprinted and the value dropped like a rock; the only thing that would makes the original prints of those more valuable were the few copies that came with soundtracks. As the original and this are basically the same exact thing it would be doubtful that used copies of the first run will go for any more.

Talked to the local store's manager today, and as he understands it, the company bought out the stock of another company, and all those new wrapped copies of Abyss were just opened and had used stickers plastered on them. According to him, it's not a reprint. However, this is all second, and third, hand information, so take it as you will.

[quote name='Maskim']Talked to the local store's manager today, and as he understands it, the company bought out the stock of another company, and all those new wrapped copies of Abyss were just opened and had used stickers plastered on them. According to him, it's not a reprint. However, this is all second, and third, hand information, so take it as you will.[/QUOTE]

Wow, i wish i could gotten a sealed copy before GS opened all of them. lol

[quote name='PapaSmerf']I never said the originals would sell for more. I simply stated there was more of a difference than just the case.[/QUOTE]

I was actually stating it in regards to the other poster that predicted that the originals would sell for more. I get what you're saying. ;)

[quote name='Maskim']Talked to the local store's manager today, and as he understands it, the company bought out the stock of another company, and all those new wrapped copies of Abyss were just opened and had used stickers plastered on them. According to him, it's not a reprint. However, this is all second, and third, hand information, so take it as you will.[/QUOTE]

I heard that this was the case too, sounds hard to believe that a company would have this many sealed copies just sitting around and then they would sell them all for less than $20 a pop to gamestop. But who knows really.

Anyone else get a case that won't hold the booklet? As in, there are no 2 clips on the left, what a gyp!

Where can I find replacement cases on the super cheap?

I call him :bs:

It got to be a reprint since it all uses the new type case without the memory card holder. The original print predated the new type case. If it wasn't a reprint, it would be in an old type case. Besides, why on earth would this company keep an old pallet of brand new, first print Abyss for years?

I'd be curious to see if anyone can confirm this somehow through some cue, just for my edification. How would they explain it being put in these "newer" cases?

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Anyone else get a case that won't hold the booklet? As in, there are no 2 clips on the left, what a gyp!

Where can I find replacement cases on the super cheap?[/QUOTE]
Since most B&M stores now have a copy, if you are near one, bring it in with your packing slip and politely ask to exchange the case.

And for those hearing these were new copies in a warehouse and not a reprint, there is overwhelming evidence and logic to the contrary already posted on this thread and frankly CAGs definitely know a heck of a lot more about their games than the majority of retail employees.

Picked up my copy, didn't have the money earlier in the week. Even tried to hide the thing, that never works. It had a couple of scratches and had the "memory card" case...I cannot complain, I have a tendency of collecting these, now all I need is Tales of Legendia, and I am hoping for a Tales of Vesperia PS3 release...

[quote name='eau']I call him :bs:

It got to be a reprint since it all uses the new type case without the memory card holder. The original print predated the new type case. If it wasn't a reprint, it would be in an old type case. Besides, why on earth would this company keep an old pallet of brand new, first print Abyss for years?[/QUOTE]I dunno. I do know that my copy looks brand new, and does have a case with a memory card holder, though. *shrug*

If you get your copy from a B&M location you don't know what you may get. There were copies available. Personally, I ended up with a very nice original copy from a B&M store before the reprints came out. I swapped out a case and the disk at different stores.

I returned the reprint copy I purchased online to a local store. If someone happened to come in after me and brought an old style case to the front and they threw in the minty reprint disk, you end up looking like you have a complete mint original.

ooh.. theres one at the store near me. if its not gutted ill get it! thanks OP!

i hope i like it better than TOV. that one wsa just meh. now.. to find a decent priced strat guide.. .. . ....

[quote name='StripesOrBars']So, apparently this isnt the only game being re printed. . .[/QUOTE]Not ambiguous enough. Let's just change it to "So, apparently" to achieve maximum confusion.

Went to my local Gamestop today at lunch and there it was. It was in minty condition in a standard DVD case. Seriously, I could care less about the case (go rip apart Madden 03 if you need a PS2 case) but having a nice complete copy of a game that used to cost $45 makes this CAG pretty happy but it makes my wallet and my backlog sad.

The guy working at the store told me that it was the second copy of that game they'd got in and how he had been wanting it for a long time. So I have a lot of JRPG goodness ahead of me. :D

[quote name='Maskim']Not ambiguous enough. Let's just change it to "So, apparently" to achieve maximum confusion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='StripesOrBars']so, apparently(2 second pause this time), this isnt the only game being re printed.[/QUOTE]
Not cryptic enough. You should gather everyone's attention and say "So...", or stand behind everyone and nod as though you're listening to the conversation.

[quote name='killa5k7']Picked up my copy, didn't have the money earlier in the week. Even tried to hide the thing, that never works. It had a couple of scratches and had the "memory card" case...I cannot complain, I have a tendency of collecting these, now all I need is Tales of Legendia, and I am hoping for a Tales of Vesperia PS3 release...[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say, but a PS3 release of ToV stateside is big wishful thinking now, as in, your odds of winning the powerball lottery are higher than hearing such news.

The PS3 ToV window has long sailed.

At least PS3 owners *possibly* have Tales of Graces to look forward to ...

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this! Always wanted to get this game and now that I got an awesome copy for $20 I can start playing! =]

[quote name='neiname']Ordered one and it came disc only... :([/QUOTE]

Ouch, that sucks. Any local GameStops to trade it back to? If not someone on eBay has the manual for $1 and you can probably print out a cover somewhere.

Just picked up mine. Case is pristine reprint. The disc, although in good condition, is definitely used, so mine definitely wasn't just some shrink-wrapped new game that they slapped a used sticker on like one poster suggested. Great deal, thanks to the OP for the heads up!

bread's done
Back