Tales of Vesperia Available @ Amazon for $34.78 shipped

cheeky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So it looks like they've either reprinted Tales of Vesperia or dredged up some copies from the abyss. You can now buy it NEW for the low, low price of $34.78. In the several months it had been out of print prices had risen to ~$60. Given time they will probably rise again. Then again, maybe not, as the debate continues to rage as to whether or not we will see an expanded version for the PS3. Anyways, enjoy it if it's your thing.

Edit: This may not be a reprint at all as it is fulfilled by a 3rd party. I guess that means there could be limited quantities available (40-something copies if the Amazon checkout system is reflecting an accurate inventory).

Update: NYC Electronics has sold out. Third parties have copies available for $34.78+

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chunlirocks']35 blades for a 2 year old game that isn't really that good is considered a deal ?

WTF ?

cheaper copies are around just look!

ewwwww[/QUOTE]

~$35 for probably the best JRPG of this generation is a deal.

Even Gamestop knows that the game has a demand - not only the price they are selling it at, but it was part of the guaranteed $25 trade-in credit promotion (very rare to see GS give high credit for an almost 2 year game).

[quote name='62t']MvC2 is rare because Capcom can't print any more due to losing license.[/QUOTE]
Technically, only the PS2 and Xbox ports are rare. Either way, the prices for those are unjustified, seeing as they're awful compared to the Dreamcast port, which isn't all that hard to come across. Just expensive due to demand.

[quote name='superdry']~$35 for probably the best JRPG of this generation is a deal.[/QUOTE]

Lost Odyssey says hi.

[quote name='robpe36']Lost Odyssey says hi.[/QUOTE]

If that's the best, no wonder JRPGs seem to be in a decline. :)

[quote name='Blackout']If that's the best, no wonder JRPGs seem to be in a decline. :)[/QUOTE]
I don't think Lost Odyssey has that definitive best JRPG quality, but it's not too shabby.

I bought this game for $40 about two years ago and still haven't opened it yet. I don't want to start on it until I can give it my full attention, since the Tales of series is one of my favorites.

So yeah, I should probably get started on that regardless or else I'll never get around to it.

I do remember seeing this for for 14.99 on Amazon before, as part of the gold box.

[quote name='Blackout']If that's the best, no wonder JRPGs seem to be in a decline. :)[/QUOTE]

what are you talking about? you have like 830/1100 in it.

[quote name='robpe36']what are you talking about? you have like 830/1100 in it.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean he liked it or that it was a great JRPG.

I mean, look at all the people with 1000/1000 in that Avatar (the one with the airbending) game. I seriously doubt any of those people regard that as a great fuckin game.

[quote name='Indignate']Doesn't mean he liked it or that it was a great JRPG.

I mean, look at all the people with 1000/1000 in that Avatar (the one with the airbending) game. I seriously doubt any of those people regard that as a great fuckin game.[/QUOTE]

In the Avatar airbender game it takes roughly 5 minutes to get 1000. To get 800+ in LO, it takes many many hours.... just saying.

Man I really need to start this game. Heard nothing but good things about it and bought it because I needed an rpg fix after being consoleless for years. Every time I pick up the case and look at the cover the cartoonieness makes me say blah... and I put it back down. Not even sure why that's striking me as unattractive.

Put it in the middle of my NBA2K10 Locker on my desk so I see it anytime I'm at my computer. Soon as I get through with Lost Odyssey hopefully I get around to this one, seems like I'm a fool to pass it over for this long from what I'm hearing.

Was my first ECA purchase I made way back when on that Amazon DOTD. Never would of thought $13.48 would still be an unbeatable price in a whole year almost.

I don't know if I'd rank Tales of Vesperia or Final Fantasy XIII as my favorite JRPG of the generation. I spent more time with FF13, but it's such a strange, quirky, uneven experience, I might say that Vesperia is the more well-rounded and overall better-designed game. Past those two, I've had the most fun with Infinite Undiscovery (I know, weird). I enjoyed but haven't finished Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't know if I'd rank Tales of Vesperia or Final Fantasy XIII as my favorite JRPG of the generation. I spent more time with FF13, but it's such a strange, quirky, uneven experience, I might say that Vesperia is the more well-rounded and overall better-designed game. Past those two, I've had the most fun with Infinite Undiscovery (I know, weird). I enjoyed but haven't finished Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey.[/QUOTE]

Bleh. I played infinite undiscovery for about an hour before I gave up on it. It was so meh!

Just curious, which aspects of the game did you like? Because you really are weird...!!! (JK JK - to each his own :))

Wow. I totally passed on this game thinking it would be kind of average, but this thread is making me reconsider. I hope it's good, because JRPG's are really suffering these days.

[quote name='tkim83']Bleh. I played infinite undiscovery for about an hour before I gave up on it. It was so meh!

Just curious, which aspects of the game did you like? Because you really are weird...!!! (JK JK - to each his own :))[/QUOTE]

Speaking only for myself, I can say it did have its redeeming qualities.
1. Lots of voice acting which was not as annoying as some JRPGs, with a good amount of personality given to most characters.
2. Characters who were numerous, varied, and in many cases quite likable.
3. Hero wasn't a douche. Regular guy caught up in circumstances, cowardly at first, steps up big time later. Kind of realistic (as JRPGs go anyway...), and fairly likeable.
4. It's a Tri-Ace game. Lots of items and customisation. That's an aquired taste though.

Everything else, meh. Especially for the company that made Valkyrie Profile (I know, I know, us Valkyrie Profile fans talk about it WAY too much.:roll:)

[quote name='maddog66']In the Avatar airbender game it takes roughly 5 minutes to get 1000. To get 800+ in LO, it takes many many hours.... just saying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this guy pretty much explains why you're retarded, indignate.

[quote name='Indignate']I bought this game for $40 about two years ago and still haven't opened it yet. I don't want to start on it until I can give it my full attention, since the Tales of series is one of my favorites.

So yeah, I should probably get started on that regardless or else I'll never get around to it.

I do remember seeing this for for 14.99 on Amazon before, as part of the gold box.[/QUOTE]

i got it for $13 new 0ff of amazon.

[quote name='robpe36']Yeah this guy pretty much explains why you're retarded, indignate.[/QUOTE]

Not really. People play through subpar or mediocre games for the sake of completing it all the time.

[quote name='GuardianE']Not really. People play through subpar or mediocre games for the sake of completing it all the time.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god dude. Seriously? Have you looked at the guys profile? He clearly doesn't go for achievements. It takes 40-50 hours to get 830. You're pretty fucking sad if you played through that and didn't like it.

[quote name='robpe36']Oh my god dude. Seriously? Have you looked at the guys profile? He clearly doesn't go for achievements.[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't bother. Maybe he goes after RPG achievements. Maybe he liked Lost Odyssey, but still thinks it doesn't hold a candle to Tales of Vesperia. Frankly, it doesn't matter.

The fact that he has a lot of achievements in Lost Odyssey only validates his opinion on Lost Odyssey.

[quote name='Flame Killa']Good price imo. I love this game. Beaten it about 7 times, beat it last night in one sitting. Probably one of my favorite RPGs ever.[/QUOTE]

Are your sittings 40 hours at a time?

I snagged my copy for less than $20 some time back. Playing it right now, quite a ways in. It's pretty typical JRPG stuff. The characters are predictable types (cutesy naive healer, hero with a dark past that looks like a woman, spunky - the cowardly kid, the guy that's referred to as old even though he's probably only in his 30s, token boobs), the voice acting is pure generic anime style fare, and the story is a convoluted mess full of plot twists I'm having a difficult time caring about. I'm sticking with it. In all fairness I've been holding out hoping the story at least goes someplace nice without any more name dropping ancient whatchamacallits that I'm apparently supposed to gasp about whenever mentioned.

Let's not kid ourselves, this is a pretty mediocre game, and most of what's in it has been done elsewhere and better. Maybe I've played too many of these? Maybe I'm burned out? Maybe my tastes have become refined and I demand more of a game? Can't really say. I can say that at least it's better than Eternal Sonata, but that's not exactly hard to accomplish.

I hope superdry is wrong. If this is the best this gen, I won't bother trying anything else. This game has literally bored me to sleep more than once :(

[quote name='Icehearted']I snagged my copy for less than $20 some time back. Playing it right now, quite a ways in. It's pretty typical JRPG stuff. The characters are predictable types (cutesy naive healer, hero with a dark past that looks like a woman, spunky - the cowardly kid, the guy that's referred to as old even though he's probably only in his 30s, token boobs), the voice acting is pure generic anime style fare, and the story is a convoluted mess full of plot twists I'm having a difficult time caring about. I'm sticking with it. In all fairness I've been holding out hoping the story at least goes someplace nice without any more name dropping ancient whatchamacallits that I'm apparently supposed to gasp about whenever mentioned.

Let's not kid ourselves, this is a pretty mediocre game, and most of what's in it has been done elsewhere and better. Maybe I've played too many of these? Maybe I'm burned out? Maybe my tastes have become refined and I demand more of a game? Can't really say. I can say that at least it's better than Eternal Sonata, but that's not exactly hard to accomplish.

I hope superdry is wrong. If this is the best this gen, I won't bother trying anything else. This game has literally bored me to sleep more than once :([/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you're burnt out, buddy. The characters aren't any better in another JRPG this gen (not counting PS2, PSP, or DS). I can't think of a single aspect of ToV that's been done better in another JRPG the past few years. The characters are stereotypes in a way, but the game is strangely self aware of them (pokes fun at Estelle for being so, several people mistake Yuri for a girl).

Characterization and voice acting is much better than your typical JRPG. (FFXIII *vomit*) Fighting mechanics are unique, fun, and there's a sense of progression.

Anyway, no one's "kidding themselves." If it's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea. There's a reason why the game is coveted.

[quote name='GuardianE']Pretty sure you're burnt out, buddy. The characters aren't any better in another JRPG this gen (not counting PS2, PSP, or DS). I can't think of a single aspect of ToV that's been done better in another JRPG the past few years. The characters are stereotypes in a way, but the game is strangely self aware of them (pokes fun at Estelle for being so, several people mistake Yuri for a girl).

Characterization and voice acting is much better than your typical JRPG. (FFXIII *vomit*) Fighting mechanics are unique, fun, and there's a sense of progression.

Anyway, no one's "kidding themselves." If it's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea. There's a reason why the game is coveted.[/QUOTE]
lol, I don't know, there's a reason why placenta drink is a favorite of some too.

You could be right about my being burned out. I've been thinking that it has to be it since about hour 5 (of nearly 60), but at least you're willing to concede there's sameness afoot.

what do you guys suppose the odds are of tales of Vesparia showing up on the "Games On Demand" thing on XBL? (ive seen a lot of games show up on there recently) Id really like to buy it on there, so I dont have to worry about the condition of the disc, and so im not tempted to sell it later.

[quote name='VyseTheStampede']what do you guys suppose the odds are of tales of Vesparia showing up on the "Games On Demand" thing on XBL? (ive seen a lot of games show up on there recently) Id really like to buy it on there, so I dont have to worry about the condition of the disc, and so im not tempted to sell it later.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend waiting for it.

[quote name='nnickers']I wouldn't recommend waiting for it.[/QUOTE]
Don't get your nnickers in a twist!

I have the Asian English version that had the limited edition cover on a regular Xbox case. Glad I never traded this in to Gamestop in a moment of weakness.

I really enjoyed this game, but stopped halfway through when I realized I was going to have to go back and grind to advance. Just finished FF XIII, though, so now I've got the time.

[quote name='jaso']I really enjoyed this game, but stopped halfway through when I realized I was going to have to go back and grind to advance.[/QUOTE]
You could have just changed the difficulty level.

[quote name='Brother Daz']My copy came today. Now I guess the question is, do I buy another to keep sealed??[/QUOTE]

Don't be that guy.

[quote name='Brother Daz']If I could trun around and sell it for $100 a few years from now, why wouldnt I want to be that guy?[/QUOTE]

You could probably invest your money in something else and come out better in a few years. Let the kids play their games. :(

[quote name='JK-C']Speaking only for myself, I can say it did have its redeeming qualities.
1. Lots of voice acting which was not as annoying as some JRPGs, with a good amount of personality given to most characters.
2. Characters who were numerous, varied, and in many cases quite likable.
3. Hero wasn't a douche. Regular guy caught up in circumstances, cowardly at first, steps up big time later. Kind of realistic (as JRPGs go anyway...), and fairly likeable.[/QUOTE]
Agree with this. Capell and Aya actually became two of my favorite JRPG characters ever-- the whole "timid hero and feisty heroine, will they or won't they get together" may be done to death, but IU actually made it fresh and compelling somehow. I did find most of the other characters pretty forgettable though.

I also found the basic gameplay mechanics and battle system extremely fun, whenever the damn game wasn't tripping over itself with stealth sections and minigames. I know everybody says this about every slow and clumsy JRPG, but once you get past the lame first few hours of IU and the game got comfortable just being an action RPG, it was pretty sweet.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Agree with this. Capell and Aya actually became two of my favorite JRPG characters ever-- the whole "timid hero and feisty heroine, will they or won't they get together" may be done to death, but IU actually made it fresh and compelling somehow. I did find most of the other characters pretty forgettable though.

I also found the basic gameplay mechanics and battle system extremely fun, whenever the damn game wasn't tripping over itself with stealth sections and minigames. I know everybody says this about every slow and clumsy JRPG, but once you get past the lame first few hours of IU and the game got comfortable just being an action RPG, it was pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Maybe i'll give it another shot some day. Thanks to both of you for sharing why you liked it :)

I'd had my eye on this for a while now and the same two copies were sitting in Kmart that have been there forever. So I remembered this thread and figured why not and grabbed one at $29.99.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Anyone heard anymore about the PS3 NA release?[/QUOTE]

Namco hasn't shown any interest in sending it over for some time now, and I believe the just recently shut down the studio, as well. So, I'd say the odds are pretty slim.

[quote name='nnickers']Namco hasn't shown any interest in sending it over for some time now, and I believe the just recently shut down the studio, as well. So, I'd say the odds are pretty slim.[/QUOTE]

It's why i finally picked this up :(

[quote name='Muthafodder']Anyone heard anymore about the PS3 NA release?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty much 90%+ that the game will never be released in NA.

It just doesn't make any sense for Namco to spend a lot of money on translations and voice acting for a game that's been out in the US for almost 3 years. It's not like ToV would raise much excitement among the gaming community at this point. It would probably leave most investors, game critics, and other publishers scratching their heads.

MS paid quite a bit to help Namco finance this game over to the US. I don't remember where I read it, but I do recall reading that MS essentially helped pay to get the voice acting done for NA release and of course used that to release it in Europe. I sincerely doubt Sony would be willing to pony up any money to complete the release of a 3-year old game. That's not likely to bring much excitement to but a small fraction of games.

Bottomline - if you want to play ToV in NA, get it for the 360. If this is like the other Tales games, it ain't coming out anywhere else.

[quote name='romeogbs19']It's pretty much 90%+ that the game will never be released in NA.

It just doesn't make any sense for Namco to spend a lot of money on translations and voice acting for a game that's been out in the US for almost 3 years. It's not like ToV would raise much excitement among the gaming community at this point. It would probably leave most investors, game critics, and other publishers scratching their heads.

MS paid quite a bit to help Namco finance this game over to the US. I don't remember where I read it, but I do recall reading that MS essentially helped pay to get the voice acting done for NA release and of course used that to release it in Europe. I sincerely doubt Sony would be willing to pony up any money to complete the release of a 3-year old game. That's not likely to bring much excitement to but a small fraction of games.

Bottomline - if you want to play ToV in NA, get it for the 360. If this is like the other Tales games, it ain't coming out anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

The part about MS paying for voice acting is nonsense.

[quote name='62t']

And they did started new voice acting for the Ps3 version. Voice acting isnt cheap and I don't think Namco would pay for it unless they are sure it will localize.

http://scrawlfx.com/2010/06/troy-baker-confirms-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-localization-in-video[/QUOTE]

Now rather anything will come out of that is another matter

[quote name='62t']The part about MS paying for voice acting is nonsense.

Now rather anything will come out of that is another matter[/QUOTE]

The voice acting rumor was proven to be misinformation from Troy. There's no substantial evidence to suggest that ToV PS3 will be released in the U.S.

bread's done
Back