Tales of Vesperia [back to $27.99] @ Amazon

What a steal! Bought at $35 and was worth it, and I hate RPGs. Good game at a good deal, but needs a filler if ya don't have prime.

My recommendation would be to get it now if ya have prime (ECA would so have made this even better). The PS3 version is supposed to have an extra character (I honestly don't know anything of the PS3 version), but its never worth it to me the wait if you can have 98% of the same game now for $20+

Here's the exclusive content: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5350.html

So, more playtime as Guy Flynn, more artes/skills, more voice-overs or w/e, a new optional boss, a new dungeon, and connectivity with Tales of Vs.

Flynn:
Flynn--article_image.jpg

Patti:
patty_ps3.jpg

If those features are worth the extra $$$/time-spent-waiting to you, go for the PS3 version. If not, this is a fantastic deal.

[quote name='nightmare452']My recommendation would be to get it now if ya have prime (ECA would so have made this even better). The PS3 version is supposed to have an extra character (I honestly don't know anything of the PS3 version), but its never worth it to me the wait if you can have 98% of the same game now for $20+[/QUOTE]

Actually, the PS3 version will have a shit load of content. So, for that person that asked I wouldn't mind waiting for all the new content it's definitely going to be worth it.

Regardless, this is a great game. It's not like some RPGs where it starts out really slow and doesn't get entertaining until the middle or the end. This is fun from the start all the way to the end.

Some of the new content in the PS3 is:
-New Charachter some pirate looking kid
- New cutscenes
- New and "improved" voice-overs
- More artes and skills
- Flynn has more playable parts
- New Giganto monster
- New Dungeon "Inner Sanctum of the Ester"
- Connectability between Tales of Vs. for the PSP which will unlock challenges, skits, and costumes

so yeah it sounds like the PS3 is getting a major upgrade over the 360 version.

Great price. I got it when it dropped to the $30s and don't regret it.

And is there even a release date announced for a US version for PS3?

A new character that had nothing to do with the story in the first place sounds great and I'm all for additional content, but given how large and sweeping TALES OF VESPERIA already is... I can't imagine the need to wait too much for the PS3 version.

TOV is the best RPG this generation. Period. I don't generally make statements like that, but this game is that good.

Given the pattern shown with Eternal Sonata, the 360 version will be out a year + before the PS3 version AND the PS3 version will not drop nearly as fast, despite being an older game with some new content.

Buy the game.

[quote name='cmart05']Actually, the PS3 version will have a shit load of content. So, for that person that asked I wouldn't mind waiting for all the new content it's definitely going to be worth it.

Regardless, this is a great game. It's not like some RPGs where it starts out really slow and doesn't get entertaining until the middle or the end. This is fun from the start all the way to the end.

Some of the new content in the PS3 is:
-New Charachter some pirate looking kid
- New cutscenes
- New and "improved" voice-overs
- More artes and skills
- Flynn has more playable parts
- New Giganto monster
- New Dungeon "Inner Sanctum of the Ester"
- Connectability between Tales of Vs. for the PSP which will unlock challenges, skits, and costumes

so yeah it sounds like the PS3 is getting a major upgrade over the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Darrith']Great price. I got it when it dropped to the $30s and don't regret it.

And is there even a release date announced for a US version for PS3?[/QUOTE]

Japan has a date
September 17, 2009

Using Eternal Sonata as the model, this would place the US release in late October.

I just don't see the logic in buying a game now because when the PS3 version with the boatload of content which will essentially make it feel like a "new game" comes out it will be over a year old...

In other words.. if you own a 360 and a PS3 and you have waited this long to play Tales of Vesperia... waiting a few more months isn't going to kill you.

[quote name='cmart05']I just don't see the logic in buying a game now because when the PS3 version with the boatload of content which will essentially make it feel like a "new game" comes out it will be over a year old...

In other words.. if you own a 360 and a PS3 and you have waited this long to play Tales of Vesperia... waiting a few more months isn't going to kill you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you're going to be waiting a lot longer than a few more months if you want to get the PS3 version at this price.

Waiting a few more months gets you a bit of extra content at three times the price...

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Bought my copy for $30, would of bought it at a $60 price tag. What a great game.[/QUOTE]

I did buy it at $60 I bought it at launch. Then traded it in(Which I regret doing). Ironically it also came out on my birthday.

Bought this at $30 a while back and just finished it. I skipped quite a bit of extra stuff and the game still took me around 60 hrs to complete. Excellent game, every bit as good as Symphonia and Abyss.

[quote name='cmart05']I just don't see the logic in buying a game now because when the PS3 version with the boatload of content which will essentially make it feel like a "new game" comes out it will be over a year old...[/QUOTE]

Boatload of content? A new game? Please. We see these rereleases of rpgs all the time now (especially from Square Enix with their "international" versions) and they usually don't change a whole hell of a lot. If you only have a PS3 or you're willing to wait for a few extras, more power to you, but I felt like I already waited long enough for this one to drop. Will ToV PS3 be the definitive version of the game? Yeah, I guess it will, but all your pretty bullet points don't add up to much in my eyes.

As for the logic in buying this now, it's simple - look at the price. I can buy it for 360 for only $22.99, or I can wait several months (with my fingers crossed that it even gets localized) and pay $60 for the PS3 version. What's the name of this website again?

[quote name='BIG5']Boatload of content? A new game? Please. We see these rereleases of rpgs all the time now (especially from Square Enix with their "international" versions) and they usually don't change a whole hell of a lot. If you only have a PS3 or you're willing to wait for a few extras, more power to you, but I felt like I already waited long enough for this one to drop. Will ToV PS3 be the definitive version of the game? Yeah, I guess it will, but all your pretty bullet points don't add up to much in my eyes.

As for the logic in buying this now, it's simple - look at the price. I can buy it for 360 for only $22.99, or I can wait several months (with my fingers crossed that it even gets localized) and pay $60 for the PS3 version. What's the name of this website again?[/QUOTE]

And using Eternal Sonata as a reference, the PS3 version of *THAT* just recently dropped to $30 and because it's a re-release was never really found on "sale" anywhere. The content added there is very similar (adding the prince/princess as playable, which is weird given the story on the original version).

So you'll wait another YEAR or so to get the PS3 version at $30 when you can have the 360 version now for less than that.

Again, buy this game.

[quote name='geogerf']What do people mean when they say "prime"?[/QUOTE]

They are referring to the Amazon Prime service. 80 bucks a year for free 2 day shipping and 4.99 overnight shipping on everything.

I just bought this a couple of weeks ago, do they have any kind of price protection? Is it worth it to return my copy (still sealed) and buy another?

The problem with the PS3 version is that it hasn't even been announced for the US, and no one knows if they even will due to the sales numbers of TOV on 360.

Sure, you can take eternal sonata as an example that was ported, but TOV has a ton more extra content, meaning they would probably need to hire the Voice Actors again. There's a interview going around with the Japanese VAs that say they had to record more voice dialogue for this extra content/port, than all of the original game.

I've beat the heck out of TOV on the 360, but I am still going to import TOV for PS3 once it's released for all that extra content. I would say if you want a fantastic RPG, that by itself still has a lot of content and 50+ hours of gameplay, go for it. $23 is a steal.

Honestly, unless you are a hardcore tales fan or willing to wait a long time, the extra content of the PS3 version isn't going to make or break the game, as it was pretty much a complete game on the 360.

[quote name='willardhaven']I just bought this a couple of weeks ago, do they have any kind of price protection? Is it worth it to return my copy (still sealed) and buy another?[/QUOTE]

There's no price protection anymore. You can call customer service and ask... they may give you a price adjustment, but they'll probably just tell you to repurchase the game and return your old copy instead.

It's really amazing to see how fast this game is dropping now considering how long it stayed at its original price point, and was pretty scarce at that. I guess it goes to show you what a port announcement will do. I'm not going to lost any sleep over getting this at $30, despite the current price.

Also, what happens if I pre-order something with it to get Super Saver and then cancel the pre-order? Do I lose my Super Saver discount?

[quote name='sang321']I played the demo, but it wasn't really fantastic... Is the actual game that much better?[/QUOTE]

The demo honestly represents the flaws of the game more than its strong points, but if you hate the demo avoid the game.

[quote name='sang321']I played the demo, but it wasn't really fantastic... Is the actual game that much better?[/QUOTE]

I thought most people complained the demo was really bad putting you too far into the game with no idea what you're doing, who is who and what the hell is going on. But I haven't played either(game or demo), so this is just going off what I heard.

I'm hoping to score a complete used copy at gs in the next b2g1, so I won't be holding off on this too much longer.

Does anyone know if it has good CO-OP for people playing on the same screen? My fiance and I love RPGs and are currently playing eternal sonata and its not bad, but the CO-OP could be a lot better and more exciting for the second person playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The demo doesn't teach you the controls so I ended up pressing random buttons (360) trying to execute a certain move, but it just didn't work out as you can imagine. It was mediocre, but with all these raves about it, I have always wanted to play the full game...

Well, estimated delivery date, 7/10/09, estimated breaking of the shrinkwrap, 7/10/13.

I don't think Richard Alpert would live long enough to work through my backlog now.

The demo is mainly used to show the battle system, but it just drops you into the game with no instructions on how to play. Doesn't help the boss is one of the more difficult ones in the game for the new/average player.

Co-op is awesome in combat, but outside of it, the 2nd player does nothing. Sadly, it's always like this in tales games/most co-op RPGs.

The demo was absolutely horrible. I don't think it comes close to Tales of Symphonia from my limited playthrough, but maybe my tastes have just evolved. The story is kinda drivel. It's amazingly fun to play, though.

[quote name='DaMonStEr']Its $26 used at GS, that might be worth considering with the B2G1 sale coming up[/QUOTE]

So you're suggesting someone wait a week to buy it for $26 used when you could buy it for $23 new today? That would only make sense if the number of used games you wanted was exactly three, and this was one of them. I highly doubt that's the case for anyone on here.

[quote name='Elowen']Does anyone know if it has good CO-OP for people playing on the same screen? My fiance and I love RPGs and are currently playing eternal sonata and its not bad, but the CO-OP could be a lot better and more exciting for the second person playing.[/QUOTE]

It is a lot better in vesperia since you get to control characters at the same time

[quote name='sang321']Amen to that. I wouldn't mind a $20 price mark either. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Once the game is OOS the price will go up. I wont risk that to save a few dollars

Couldn't quite bring myself to purchase at the $30 pricepoint; I cannot pass on this , however. Threw a 10ft HDMI cable into the mix for $6 to get free ship. Needed one anywho.

[quote name='bvharris']So you're suggesting someone wait a week to buy it for $26 used when you could buy it for $23 new today? That would only make sense if the number of used games you wanted was exactly three, and this was one of them. I highly doubt that's the case for anyone on here.[/QUOTE]

Looking at one person right now :)

Remember, not everyone has prime, and not everyone wants to buy something else for free shipping either.

Well I think I might pre-order a game and buy it with free shipping, they usually send them out separately. I can just cancel the pre-order after I receive the first shipment.

Bought this at $60. I love the Tales series, and this is by far one of the best ones. I wouldn't hold my breath for US release (Tales of Symphonia PS2 anyone?), but if you don't have a PS3 and are into RPGs you should pick this up.

what's the normal price for this on Amazon as well as msrp everywhere? I'll have to wait considering the amount of unfinished RPGs (started and unopened) as well as the other backlogged games I have.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']what's the normal price for this on Amazon as well as msrp everywhere? I'll have to wait considering the amount of unfinished RPGs (started and unopened) as well as the other backlogged games I have.[/QUOTE]

Drop those and play this instead because it's better. ;)

MSRP right now is $29.99, I believe. It took a while to drop to that price, and most brick&mortar stores aren't carrying it new anymore, though.

[quote name='bvharris']So you're suggesting someone wait a week to buy it for $26 used when you could buy it for $23 new today? That would only make sense if the number of used games you wanted was exactly three, and this was one of them. I highly doubt that's the case for anyone on here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Its really not that far fetched. If a person is viewing this thread, its safe to speculate that they have some interest in this game. Chances are there is another game they want to pick up too, and who doesn't like a free game on top of that?

bread's done
Back