Tales of Vesperia - Gen. Discussion & Info

CouRageouS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
vesperia.png

“Tales of Vesperia” is the newest tale game of the “Tale of” series, which has sold more than ten million copies and will be available on the Xbox 360®!

This entry is a story dealing with the importance of carrying out “Justice”. Following the popular battle system of the tales series combining the battle full of invigoration from the individual system, it contains the largest volume of event movies and scenarios among the series.

In addition, Xbox 360 presents the new, high definition images of buildings and an entire atmosphere like no other platform. Characters designed by the popular illustrator Kousuke Fujishima drawn in high quality images are vividly animated.

※Multiplayer feature enables up to 4 players to participate in the battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwl2XU1lfmU

I've always been a fan of the Tales series. The game looks gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CouRageouS']
I've always been a fan of the Tales series. The game looks gorgeous.[/quote]
Ditto. The Tales games will always be day-one purchases for me.

Loved the demo when I downloaded it a while ago. Think I'll like the scientist chick and she's quite the evil one.

Battle system feels more refined, but requires you to hold down a button for free roam in battle. Not too bad, but I wouldof prefered to always have free roam without the holding of a button. Also took me a couple playthroughs to figure out that the various bars on each mob were defense bars and that you could knock down their defense to cause slightly more damage. It's a nice touch but was a tad confusing.

The boss in the demo was actually challenging too.

The demo was awesome. I really like the art direction/graphics.

Yeah that boss kicked my ass the first time but I played it again and kicked his ass.

I assume this is the same demo that could be had on the Japanese marketplace (that I already got and played). I have to say, as a huge Tales fan, that I was disappointed. I'm not sure exactly why - but for one the exploration through the forest overworld area looked absolutely crappy to me. And for some reason I also disliked the combat. I can't really say why at this pont (as I played it a few weeks ago) but I was underwhelmed. I may end up cancelling my Gamecrazy preorder for it. But hopefully this is just one of those cases of a bad demo for an otherwise good game.

I'm playing Tales of the Abyss right now (I'm about 30 hours in) and I'll be happy if Vesperia actually has decent load times. ;)
I'll be sure to download the demo the next time I get on my 360.

I downloaded the demo earlier and wasn't all that impressed. It could be due to the fact that I'm playing through Lost Odyssey and like the battle system in that a lot. Although, what really turned me off to the demo was the voice acting. The voices just irritated the hell out of me and made me just want to turn the game off.

will not buy this game but i did try the demo. It was pretty simple until that last boss totally kicked my ass like nothingness. Killed all my teammates and then me.

I enjoy the stories and stuff of this games, but I get so frustrated with the battle systems. Havent tried the demo yet, will do it after work today. I probably wont get it on day one, but I will eventually

[quote name='sleepy180']will not buy this game but i did try the demo. It was pretty simple until that last boss totally kicked my ass like nothingness. Killed all my teammates and then me.[/quote]

yeah i got owned by that boss. sucks.

after Eternal Sonata, this game doesn't look good. it could have a more refined look about it.

Playing the demo reminded me of Eternal Sonata (made from the same company, duh). Free roaming battle system, music strangely familiar, and graphics/art style look alike. I might enjoy it, but I think I prefer ES's battle system. I think I gotta play the demo again. Also, the story in this game seems more upbeat than ES's gloomy story.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Playing the demo reminded me of Eternal Sonata (made from the same company, duh). Free roaming battle system, music strangely familiar, and graphics/art style look alike. I might enjoy it, but I think I prefer ES's battle system. I think I gotta play the demo again. Also, the story in this game seems more upbeat than ES's gloomy story.[/QUOTE]

Same publisher, but different developer.

Symphonia was my favorite RPG ever,s o I really want this. But I'll likely foce myself to hold off till October's B2G1 sale at Toys R us since I've bought 9 games since GTA IV and I haven't even finished GTA yet. I have way too many 360 games I need to make progress in. I can wait on a single player only game, no matter how amazing it may look.

Thought the demo was okay. I remember Symphonia's battle system moving much smoother. And yes, the boss annihilated me too. I think I'll pass.

I'm just losing interest in JRPGs. The only series I still look forward too are SMT & Suikoden. The last 2 RPGs I got on the 360 (Blue Dragon & Eternal Sonata) I got very far into then just gave up. I feel like I'd do the same with this one.

man, i'm torn. Too many RPG's and not enough time later this year (when I take into account work, home life, two children under 3, taking 2 masters classes, over 2 hour commute). I loved Symphonia, but i'm also interested in Infinite Undiscovery an Last Remnant. Anybody else debating which to get?

played the demo.... and was bored. Graphics arent that amazing. DBZ bust limit did better cell shading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I'm going to rent this one or wait a while and buy it. Either way, I will play it. The demo was quite a bit of fun. The menus seemed confusing, but I'm sure it's just because we were thrown into the middle of the game without knowing anything.

I tried to play the demo and it crashed my 360....4 times! I just gave up and re-downloaded it.

But, from what I saw, i wasn't that impressed. Might just go w/ Infiinite Undiscovery after all.

[quote name='janglypangly']The combat felt very rigid and inaccurate when I played :whistle2:\. I remember Symphonia being fluid and fun![/quote]

I stated the same thing a few posts up. I remember in Symphonia being able to combo a lot better and link special movies for some kick ass combos. This didn't feel like that, but then again it's a demo.

Sorry for the double post but I have to agree with everyone on this one. The demo's battle system doesn't feel as good as Symphonia. Also, that last boss was ridiculous. I ended up dying without doing much damage to the boss. I tried again and got him down to half life so I've given up any hope of beating him on the demo. Maybe the game will allow some grinding before the boss but it'd be a shame if grinding is necessary to beat the first boss.

Is it just me, or when Yuri hits the enemy, does it feel really rigid and make a junky sound? Doesn't feel "gaming realistic" like Symphonia, it feels hard and un-smooth.

[quote name='janglypangly']The combat felt very rigid and inaccurate when I played :whistle2:\. I remember Symphonia being fluid and fun![/quote]
Yeah I'm playing Tales of the Abyss right now and the combat in the Vesperia demo just feels wrong compared to Abyss. It almost feels like a different team made the 2 games and the Vesperia team just couldn't get the combat right.

yeah, the demo was weird. I felt very.....weak? That boss killed me the first time, but I managed to get through it on the second try. I think I might hold off on purchasing this and see if Infinite Undiscovery or Last Remnant are better. Or get the next viva pinata game :D

LE looks goregous
http://blogs.ign.com/NB_TalesOfVesperia/2008/08/04/98266/
tales-of-vesperia-20080804114132527-000.jpg

The special edition version of the game comes in a SteelBook case with its own unique cover art by longtime Tales character designer Kosuke Fujishima. The packaging itself is really high-quality, but what’s inside is even more exciting. We’ve combed through the music archives at Tales Studio in Japan and put together a bonus 10th anniversary soundtrack CD that will be included in every special edition package. Covering some of the series’ musical highlights from past and present, the CD contains 25 tracks, with 14 songs from Tales of Vesperia, two from Tales of Phantasia, two from Tales of Destiny, four from Tales of Symphonia and three from Tales of the Abyss.

The special edition version of Tales of Vesperia will be available in limited quantities exclusively through select retailers for a suggested retail price of $69.99. Tales of Vesperia ships to retailers on August 26, so check back here soon for more information about the game!

I checked out the demo of the game over the weekend, and I have to say that I'm not impressed. The battle system just wasn't as smooth as it was in previous games. It's disappointing because I was excited about the game. Not gonna bother purchasing it now.

Sigh. I don't have my darn Xbox yet :(

..How does this play? I never played a Tales game. Battle system like....Eternal Sonata?

[quote name='lilboo']Sigh. I don't have my darn Xbox yet :(

..How does this play? I never played a Tales game. Battle system like....Eternal Sonata?[/QUOTE]

it is not like ES, the battle is real time. IF you never play a tales game go get it on PS2 and GC

[quote name='Poor2More']The LE just gave me a reason to pick this up on day 1 :)

RPG+Limited Edition= Day 1 buy no matter what[/QUOTE]

Son of a B....I think I'm with you. I wish I wasn't a filthy whore for limited editions and game soundtracks!! :)

Not that I'm surprised but are they charging $69.99 for a PS2 game that got mixed with HD juice, an obese tin case and a soundtrack I'll never listen to? Pass

Im betting this will be like enchanted arms.. where its "limited edition" with a comic book.. thats not limited.. @_@

Either way.. still getting this.

[quote name='CAG 79']I'm RPG starved so I might just pick this up.[/quote]

Ive really enjoyed Spectral Force 3 + Operation Darkness... both strategy RPG games.

bread's done
Back