Tales of Vesperia - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='MSUHitman']No not really but I bet it's pretty close to the actual numbers. I would really like for it to make the NPD Top 10 but I don't see that happening as 1/2 of it's sales are from August with it being released last week of August.[/quote]

It depends on if the game has legs or not, its been getting great reviews so far and doesnt have a lot of competition for the next month or two RPG wise. Infinite Undiscovery tanked compared to this, so TOV is the only RPG out there right now...

Hopefully you guys can help me, I'm having trouble with my Artes on both Raven & Judith. I can't seem to link Basic to Arcane Artes with them anymore. I figured it was a skill but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. What's odd is that I know I could use them before. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Well I haven't really played Raven for more than like 10 battles, generally I play Yuri or Judith cause Yuri has the artes that can stack combos. I like using ghost wolf to get behind the enemy, then use a 6 hit combo and shining fang then either dragon swarm or crushing eagle if theres a number of enemies. Those 4 artes are awesome together. As for Judith, what MIGHT be the problem is that some of her base artes are kind of slow upon landing such as luna fang and I can't really combo them with arcane artes either...but if I choose a base arte like moon kick or w/e or crescent moon, they can stack well with ascendent or rondo for the base arte/arcane combo. Judith can have some crazy combos when I try the 2 normal base attack, then I can get like 4 in the air plus crescent moon and rondo which does pretty good damage. Also crescent and rondo just on the ground is nice because crescent sends them to just the right height that rondo can hit the enemy twice.

Game is pretty awesome though. I'm already 50 hours in and not even done Part 2 yet. I just completed fighting
Estelle
and am doing some sidequests right now. The game definitely gets easier though...the bosses in part 1 were often more challenging but now you can just usually combo bosses with yuris shine fang/dragon swarm combo and they barely even get a chance to attack. Favorite RPG for the 360, way better than both BD and ES. Even a bit better than Lost odyssey and Mass effect for me.

I know this thread died but I just started playing the game and it rocks. I've had the game for a while but wanted to finish some others before diving in to it. That dog (Repede?) is awesome!

I just finished Vespera earlier this week and I really enjoyed it. After playing Abyss a few months ago it's really nice to play a Tales game with a silky smooth framerate and very short load times.

Sadly it only took me about 35 hours to beat, I think I missed a lot of sidequest. Abyss took me about 45 hours to beat (though I felt the story really started dragging and we were just running back and forth between cities to pad the story length) and I haven't played Symphonia since it came out, but I believe that also took me 45 hours or so.

As for the story it felt like a pretty generic Tales story. I did like the characters a lot though, with Rita being my favorite (and Jade was my favorite in Abyss, I guess I like the mean characters). Raven was my second favorite character.

Visually this game was beautiful. The character models were amazing, they looked better then the anime cutscenes. The backgrounds were all bright and colorful, with Halure, Dahngrest (especially at dusk and at night), and when the characters first see the ocean really stand out as truely beautiful areas. This is easily one of the best looking games on the Xbox 360, and with the art style they used it will stand the test of time.

I picked up this game for $35 from Amazon and felt that I more then got my money's worth (I would of picked it up sooner, but I was playing Abyss when it came out and needed a break from big Japanese RPGs after finishing it). I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try out a great JRPG for the 360.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So 80K copies sold in the US and 160K copies in Japan so far according to VG Chartz. Success or not?[/quote]
That seems pretty bad to me, Symphonia sold over a million copies world wide. I would imagine Namco Bandai had higher expectations (of course this is VGChartz, the numbers could be different). It's too bad, this game really deserves higher sales, especially in the US.

[quote name='nnthomas']It's pretty good. It's very animu though. Estelle is embarassing to listen to.[/quote]

I think that's part of the game's charm but you are correct. If the anime style doesn't suit your taste, then I would suggest Lost Odyssey, as you could have fanboy arguments all day as to whether LO is better than ToV.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think that's part of the game's charm but you are correct. If the anime style doesn't suit your taste, then I would suggest Lost Odyssey, as you could have fanboy arguments all day as to whether LO is better than ToV.[/quote]

Both are great games that offer completely different experiences. I would highly recommend both.

Couldn't get into ToV surprisingly and LO was alright. Getting LR in a day or two, so I'm hoping it will be a better experience. RPG's this gen have been lacking so.

[quote name='Lacuna Requiem']Couldn't get into ToV surprisingly and LO was alright. Getting LR in a day or two, so I'm hoping it will be a better experience. RPG's this gen have been lacking so.[/QUOTE]

I won't say that. There is still fable 2, fallout, World of Warcraft, Persona 3 Fes, Persona 4, The World Ends with You, Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3. And all those came out this year.

[quote name='fatbeer']I won't say that. There is still fable 2, fallout, World of Warcraft, Persona 3 Fes, Persona 4, The World Ends with You, Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3. And all those came out this year.[/quote]
Fable II has no right being on ANY list other than biggest disappointment of the year.

Well, I didn't played Fable 2, but it seems like a pretty good game judging by critics reviews and gamers average score. Of course, there is Final Fantasy XII which got good reviews as well, and I hate that game.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think that's part of the game's charm but you are correct. If the anime style doesn't suit your taste, then I would suggest Lost Odyssey, as you could have fanboy arguments all day as to whether LO is better than ToV.[/QUOTE]

I got all 1100 points on LO. I am well versed in that game. I just started Vesperia, going to 1000 that.

[quote name='Lacuna Requiem']Couldn't get into ToV surprisingly and LO was alright. Getting LR in a day or two, so I'm hoping it will be a better experience. RPG's this gen have been lacking so.[/quote]

Well if you didn't like ToV or LO all that much you're going to be hurtin as TLR is pretty much unplayable without a hard drive install, and even then probably isn't the best. Have you tried Eternal Sonata or Blue Dragon? Heck you might even want to try Infinite Undiscovery over Last Remnant.

Finally, FINALLY beat this last night. Every sidequest. Plus some arte and materials grinding. Almost 90 hours.

Now, to finish the extra dungeon, get some more titles, grind all the altered artes, run the colleseum with all my other characters, grind some grade, and do a few more playthroughs! :D

I ditched this after playing a one hour chunk and dying with no save option. I don't mind the grinding and the lengthy cut scenes, but the antique save system forcing me to watch a scene repeatedly if I get hung up on a boss was infuriating. I put in about 23 hours, and just couldn't go through it any more. Maybe when I was younger and had more time, but my game time is too limited to replay chunks of a 90 hour game over and over.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Tales had a price drop at Game Crazy only to $30, so if you're still looking for a copy, that would be the place to go.[/QUOTE]

And that is not just a 1 week thing?

[quote name='Matt Young']And that is not just a 1 week thing?[/quote]

Yeah permanent drop (at least for Game Crazy.) Not a limited time sale. Standard edition only, LE (if they still have one new) is still $70, but is the rarest game/version on the 360 so it should be swiped up immediately. In the deal thread, one person at a CA store got a mint, used LE for $25.

I've seen quite a few used LE's at stores near me....I'll have to check comparing prices on eBay or something cause it isn't rare in my area.

[quote name='Wolve11']I've seen quite a few used LE's at stores near me....I'll have to check comparing prices on eBay or something cause it isn't rare in my area.[/quote]

Well only 7,000 were sold in the US and there's no more copies available new except from resellers on EBay/Amazon, so you must have an abundance of uninformed consumers who just blindly trade stuff in without even looking online.

I would abuse that to the fullest extent.

This is one game I would have liked to have ordered the LE instead. Not only cause its rare, but its also one of my favorite games on 360.

I actually bought the LE on CAG for $65, I can't decide if I want to open it or save it to make money. I love the game, but I actually prefer the standard DVD cases to the steel books.

GF bought the LE, fun game, she enjoyed it. I collect steelbooks 360 games (North American releases) so i'll be keeping the LE unless prices skyrocket.

I came to the conclusion my asshole brother traded my copy after I let him borrow it. This is kinda long and not very interesting but I just wanted to rant about it anyways.

A few months ago my brother wanted to borrow ToV from me, so I let him. After about a month I asked him how he liked it, (I noticed he was never online playing it) I found out he stopped playing after a few hours in. I told him if he's not going to play it then bring it back to me. I still wanted to play some more.

When he stopped by my place he said he forgot to bring it :roll: So a few days later I went to his place expecting to get it back, but he said he forgot it at work. At this point I knew he was full of BS. I looked him square in the eye and said, "You traded it into GS, didn't you?" He stumbled around saying he didnt, but I could tell he was lying. He's got an addiction for trading in games. As soon as something new and interesting comes out he'll unload his library to get that game.

I put 2 + 2 together and figured HAWX just came out (he's a sucker for shitty army games), he was broke, and traded my ToV in for it. He swore he still had it and told me he would have it for me soon. A few weeks go by and he ends up handing me a copy of Fable 2 instead, saying "I know you didn't have it so I thought you might like it instead." I said I didn't want it, I want my ToV back. He said he didn't have it, that he traded it so he could get me this. He thinks I'm stupid, he just gave me his copy of Fable 2. So I accepted Fable 2 from him and put it on eBay right in front of him. And just as I thought, he didn't seem to care.

Not only am I pissed that he's dishonest with me but he asked me to borrow my games only to trade it to GS and probably get a shitty value for it. I've tried yelling at him about what he did but he claims his innocence. Kinda hard to yell at someone who wont admit they're wrong. So I came here to rant. He'll never borrow a game from me again. And he traded my ToV for a Tom Clancey game UNFORGIVABLE!!!

[quote name='KingBroly']June. Mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Coming to PS3 in Japan this fall.[/quote]
thanx for information) june....oh wait...this is release date for Star Ocean 4 too...crap..2 games 1 month cruel ;_;

From what I hear about Star Ocean, I'd suggest Vesperia.

Star Ocean's problem is that in some stages of the game you have to put in different discs to load different planets, so you could go from 3 to 2 to 3 to 1 in just a few hours of gameplay (Like 5 hours or something like that).

[quote name='KingBroly']From what I hear about Star Ocean, I'd suggest Vesperia.

Star Ocean's problem is that in some stages of the game you have to put in different discs to load different planets, so you could go from 3 to 2 to 3 to 1 in just a few hours of gameplay (Like 5 hours or something like that).[/QUOTE]

I have had no issues with Star Ocean, but that does appear to be how the game is structured for space. I did a little grinding early so I'm further than 5 hours, but haven't had to swap the disc.

Vesperia is a great game, top to bottom. I haven't beaten Star Ocean yet, but it's so far very enjoyable. The biggest downside is that with ToV I could play for short(er) spurts and do a task or two. With Star Ocean, the Bonus Board resets every time you reload the game. I tend to feel like I can't stop playing otherwise lose my bonuses. I'm sad.

[quote name='KingBroly']From what I hear about Star Ocean, I'd suggest Vesperia.

Star Ocean's problem is that in some stages of the game you have to put in different discs to load different planets, so you could go from 3 to 2 to 3 to 1 in just a few hours of gameplay (Like 5 hours or something like that).[/quote]

i'm quite alright with that =) hell i'll be alright even if game will tell me to be it's slave and worship it!! :pray:

Usually I don't die in RPGs but I got killed by the Wolf boss and Zagi on the pirate ship. I managed to get by, but the AI is really frustrating at times. I find I have to tell everyone what to do most of the time. The game is great though, Yuri is the best Tales lead ever.

That's mainly because he's different from every other protagonist before him. Not a whiny, teenaged brat who wants some girl to like him.

Lol, I thought Yuri was pretty lame. At the end, he was so hypocritical just cause it was now his friend in a similar position. I'd expand on it but I'm too lazy to go advanced and insert spoiler tags. I found the whole game comical and laughed at most parts that was supposed to be serious...which is one of the main reasons why I liked the game. They tried (or presumably so) to be so serious, but failed and it turned into cheesy comedy that was sometimes pretty good, and the characters reactions added to it. Karol was the best character, Judith was ok too. ... Rita really was annoying though...but the grade farming made up for it.

You're right about the game being funny, but Yuri is cool (I haven't gotten too far yet). I like that the guy in the first bar hits on Yuri thinking he's a chick. At least Namco Bandai (or just the translators) has a sense of humor.

Star Ocean's problem is that in some stages of the game you have to put in different discs to load different planets, so you could go from 3 to 2 to 3 to 1 in just a few hours of gameplay (Like 5 hours or something like that).[/quote]

The disc swapping issue isn't that big of a deal at all. I guess if you are extremely lazy it could be a problem, otherwise no.

Tales of Vesperia is by far the better game of the 2 though. Better gameplay, better characters, better story.

I havent finished S04 yet, but I would Imagine that the metagame is longer and if you are a completionist then it is for sure far longer, just with the battle trophys alone.

But, 200 hours+ of a mediocre game in SO4 is far too long. If you go for all the achieves in Tales you'll easily hit over 100 hours...which is more than enough.

[quote name='will52']The disc swapping issue isn't that big of a deal at all. I guess if you are extremely lazy it could be a problem, otherwise no.[/quote]

It's not an issue unless you want to attempt to create a bunch of items end game. At the end the only way to access your ship is to teleport to a specific planet (on disk 3) and the materials are on the other ones (disk 2 or 3). This also becomes a problem because the bonus (post-game) dungeons are also on disk 2. So it only becomes a pain if you're in that type of situation.

If you're just playing to beat the game and be done with it, then you'll likely not really find it an issue at all or even figure out that you had to switch disks to go to other areas.

But anyways, between the two I can easily say Vesperia is the better choice in just about every area.

[quote name='Spades22']But, 200 hours+ of a mediocre game in SO4 is far too long. If you go for all the achieves in Tales you'll easily hit over 100 hours...which is more than enough.[/quote]

It took me 90 hours to complete and I'm missing a lot of achievements. A few of which I have to play the entire game over again to get (because of Titles). I enjoyed it all, except the final dungeon. That place is confusing.

Ya I think I have about 100-110 hours and have all but 2 or 3 achievements. The speed run playthrough was actually pretty fun...if you skip the dialogue and rush through everything after grade farming the game can easily be beaten in 10 hours or less. Pretty fun owning the bosses that gave me trouble in my first playthrough at an even lower level :D

bread's done
Back