Talk me out of selling my Wii

randomthinker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Ok, so I'm a big Nintendo fanboy, but... I've barely touched the Wii in months. I waited in line and bought my wii on release night at walmart. And of course, I enjoyed the hell out of it. WiiSports was great, although something was lacking in the precision, but it was so new and revolutionary I let it slide. Redsteel was meh, though at the time I tried to convince myself it was awesome. Now Zelda, that was a game. But it would have been pretty much the same game on GC, though admitedly the clawshot slinging around probably wouldn't have been as good.
Later on the in Wii's lifecycle I've played Super Mario Galaxy, and Paper Mario, and wow, also awesome games. Still playing No More Heroes and that is very. Got Madworld from Gamefly and looking forward to it.
Yet I haven't played any of these in a long time. I stick to my ps3 and my xbox, hell I use the PS2 more than the wii. WiiFit is the biggest reason I want to keep the Wii. I love that game and it's good for my back. Writing this post has helped me identify the good parts of the Wii, but I'm still quite disappointed.
WiiMotionPlus? Weren't we supposed to have 1:1 from the beginning? Didn't they tell us we did? Now we have to buy something new for that. "Waggle" just isn't doing it for me anymore. With recent showing by Sony and Microsoft that both blow away Nintendo's motion control, what am I supposed to love about the Wii? The motion control is meh, and at best an addition to normal controls, rather than a whole new control scheme.
So what's left? Graphics? Nope. Easy online play? Ha. Friend codes are almost enough of a reason to sell on their own. First party nintendo characters I can't get enough of? Well, yes, but those are few and far between and I'm having a hard time justifying owning the system and all accessories for Mario.
Suppose that's enough. I guess I'm just disillusioned. Someone show me i'm wrong?

Sell it. Wii's are only good for collecting dust. I haven't touched mine except for WiiWare games in months. Sell it if you can make good money. If not just hide it in the back of your closet with all of your other forgotten toys.

You have to be incredibly ignorant or have your head up your ass if you haven't been paying attention to what's been out this past year already.

Fantastic. You wasted money on a console because you don't care enough to actually look at what's been released. Congrats! :applause:

EDIT: And who cares if you sell it? Your money's already been spent, and supply's met demand so you won't make a profit anymore. It'd take some huge console warriors to care. Harsh, but this kind of stuff (including wookie's post) is just embarrassing.

I could see giving up on the wii after you had tried motion plus, but right now, before resort comes out?
doesn't make sense

wait until wii sports resort is released. if you don't like what it offers then you can sell it. if you like what it offers, then keep it.

i feel you. nintendo hasn't made great motion controller games lately. this explains why wii sales are down several months ago. but with motion+ coming out and nintendo starting to put more thought, hopefully motion games by nintendo will become fully able and made and other developers to adapt to them.

Yeah I sold my wii and never looked back. But the motion + does seem to have potential.

If Red Steel 2 and these other sports games with motion + doesn't appeal to you, sell it.

If you need money then sell it, otherwise just leave it there to collect dust. That's what I do, so just in case in the future there's a game I want to play.

How about this: What kinds of games do you like? Why are you playing the PS3/PS2/360 more than the Wii? Do you like FPS? HD graphics? A full-fledged online experience? Focussing solely on the Wii's shortcomings (which are many) and positives (which are also many) is not a good enough reason to sell it.

Sounds like to me you like single-player games. Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming out in August, and Metroid: Other M comes out around next year. Plus, new Zelda in 2010 as well.

And Sony/MS's motion controls blow you away? Sure, of course almost 3 years later motion control hardware has made huge steps. But Natal's going to cost an arm and a leg, and there's barely anything on Sony's magic wand.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']wait until wii sports resort is released. if you don't like what it offers then you can sell it. if you like what it offers, then keep it.

i feel you. nintendo hasn't made great motion controller games lately. this explains why wii sales are down several months ago. but with motion+ coming out and nintendo starting to put more thought, hopefully motion games by nintendo will become fully able and made and other developers to adapt to them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the well thought out response. I think this is the path I will follow. If WiiSports Resorts is great I'll forgive having to buy an extra peripheral :p

I'm sorry some people seem to find this offensive. Yes I do actually own a Wii. I did want some constructive input on a (relatively) big decision for me, so if that makes my constitution weak, then so bet it.

This was not intended to be a 'Wii Sucks' thread but rather a 'I want to like the Wii but I'm disillusioned.' Many of you offered up a lot of good points I hadn't considered -- for example there is a ton of virtual console stuff that interests me that just hadn't occurred to me lately. Thanks for that and the other constructive advice. Haters hate on.
-rt

Keep it incase your Grandmother drops by, or a family member with young kids.

I got bored of mine but keep it in the hopes of a decent Jrpg that does not come out for the 360 or ps3.

Edit: you know I need to check out what is on VC... never have, might be some rpgs.

If you get real bored with it, feel free to mail it to me. I wouldn't mind having a second one. My kids dominate the one we have and I'd like to have one for myself. I've got a boatload of games to play. Tiger Woods 10, Punchout, Excitebots, House of the Dead 2 & 3, Zack & Wicki, Pinball Hall of Fame, etc, etc, plus a ton of games I don't have yet, but want, such as House of the Dead Overkill, Ghost Squad, The Munchables, Twilight Princess, that spider/bug one who's name is escaping me at the moment, etc, etc. Plus a ton of upcoming games I'll want to play, such as Metroid Prime Trilogy, NPC Pikmin 2, Little Kings Story, New Super Mario Bros, Metroid Another M, and lots more. I haven't even mentioned the WiiWare and VC games I want to play.

So, let me know when you are so sick and tired of it that a you can think to do is post some bullshit thread again and get rid of it.

I own all three. Personally I feel that money spent on a platform really pales to money spent on the software. Your wii, if sold, will get you a few games... I rather keep it collecting dust than to reduce my options for a few extra games I can buy elsewhere. (and let's be honest, the games that you really want on another platform, you will have purchase them anyway. That 200 dollars isn't the reason that prevented you from buying and enjoying game X.

I would like to note that it is very odd that of all the games you mention that you enjoy on the wii, every single one of them is coming out with a sequel that atleast promise to be better.

wii sports -> wii sports resort (as mentioned by a lot of other people).
red steel -> red steel 2 (I haven't play red steel, but Red Steel 2 looks incredibly awesome. They had a large article about it on Nintendo Power and it sounds great. I personally love the art direction. The developers also spent a lot of time on how they really didn't do the motion right and how they "supposedly" learned from their mistake. 2 is designed with full support of motion plus, it at the very least has great potential.)
Zelda -> a brand new Wii Zelda... You were disappointed that Twilight Princess was the GC game, yet you are contemplating selling your wii when a new Zelda for wii is announced?
Galaxy -> super mario galaxy 2 announced
New Super Mario Bros. Wii announced to come out 4th quarter 2009. (how can you not be excited if you are that into Nintendo?)
No More Heroes -> NHM: Desperate Struggle
Wii Fit -> Wii Fit Plus.

I really don't get it. I can understand if you don't find enjoyment in any of the games you mentioned and are giving up, but when all these games are coming and they directly reflect your likes, seems to me that you will really be giving up a lot of your options and possibly, will spend more on buying a wii again to play them... and then sell... and then...

RPGs on the Virtual Console... glad you asked.

Phantasy Star II, III, IV
Shining Force I, II
Shining in the Darkness
Beyond Oasis
Landstalker
Ogre Battle
Super Mario RPG
Secret of Mana

Those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I'd love to see Crystalis and Crusader of Centy on the VC one of these days.

ohh black wii sounds nice...but dont sell any console no matter how bad it is how cool would it be to have a jaguar or something now instead of selling it for a crappy price years ago.

Do you need the money? It doesn't sound that way.

Do you really think that there won't be any Wii games you'll want to play later on? Personally I'd bet that there will be at least a couple of first-party Nintendo games you'd enjoy that simply won't be available anywhere else. WiiWare exclusives are also a nice selling point for many people who love indie games. And, love it or hate it, the Wii really does offer a bunch of games that simply couldn't be done as well on any other console.

Are you really done with the Wii games you already own? I enjoy going back and playing some of my favorite games again... but some people would rather always look for something new.

Do you have any downloadable content on your system right now? Don't forget that downloadable content, including Virtual Console and WiiWare games, is locked to the console and will not be accessible for you after the sale.

There is nothing wrong with selling, but selling now and buying again later would be a waste of time and (probably) money. Unless you can get a good price that you suspect would cover the purchase of a whole new system, it doesn't sound like a good idea... and since supply has met demand I doubt that second-hand prices are still as impressive as they once were. Doesn't sound like a winning proposition to me.

IME, the only people who say "There's nothing on Console X I want to play" are either trolls or extremely finicky. Any halfway-decent system will have some titles worth playing on it -- hell, even my Atari Jaguar was worth it for Tempest 2000, Alien vs. Predator, Iron Soldier, and NBA Jam: Tournament Edition.

--R.J.

bread's done
Back