Tangled Coupon

Awesome, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it stacks with the $5 Target coupon mentioned in the other thread. I'll have to cancel my $21.99 Amazon preorder. I'd rather get just the standard edition for $11.99 or perhaps $6.99 with the $5 coupon.

$19.99
=6.99

I'm only assuming that $19.99 price point is before the coupon. But for $5, why not get a 3D blu ray that I may watch 10 years from now if 3D sticks around.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Awesome, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it stacks with the $5 Target coupon mentioned in the other thread. I'll have to cancel my $21.99 Amazon preorder. I'd rather get just the standard edition for $11.99 or perhaps $6.99 with the $5 coupon.

$19.99
=6.99

I'm only assuming that $19.99 price point is before the coupon. But for $5, why not get a 3D blu ray that I may watch 10 years from now if 3D sticks around.[/QUOTE]

Couple of things about this, technically the coupon is only supposed to work with the 3D (4 disc set) set and not the 2 disc set. However I know that it will work on the 2 disc set from past experience. Also there is supposed to be a $5 target coupon that will only work on the 3D set, so that with the Disney coupon will get you the same price as the 2 disc set.

[quote name='seether254']maybe amazon will put up a coupon to "clip" like with Tron so i can get some of my credit back.[/QUOTE]
They did, but it came and went long before the Tron coupon was available.

[quote name='karkyco']What Target $5 coupon? The coupon thread only reports a Toys R Us ad that mentions a $5 coupon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jason28']Tangled 3D (4 Disc) -$24.99
Tangled BD+DVD -$19.99
*Free Tangled Little Golden Book With Any Tangled Purchase
*Get a $5 Off Coupon For Tangled 4 Disc @ Target.com/Movies
All thanks goes to d head @BR.com[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290274

Wow, I pre-ordered at Amazon for $21.99, but with the coupons, I may be able to get the 3D version for $25-$8 (and possibly -$5) = $12. Nice. Now, do I risk the cancel of Amazon..I guess I'll wait a few days. I did get free release date delivery.

[quote name='M3wThr33']It's up. A whopping $5.[/QUOTE]
Yep, there goes the possibility of stacking this with a Target coupon because they're the same one.

[quote name='Javery']Damn that blows. Also does it not even apply to the Blu-ray+DVD combo pack? I'm not sure I need the 3D disc.[/QUOTE]People have had the coupon work on the "lesser" of the two combo packs in the past, as long as the cashier doesn't catch it.

You can give it a try and probably have it work out OK.

just change the order from 2D to 3D that combo with Beauty and the Beast $10 off deal plus the amazon customer service give me extra $10 promotional credits...so $20 off total is $27 for both. :D

[quote name='M3wThr33']Where is the source of this?[/QUOTE]

Private HD enthusiast torrent tracker. Members already have a copy of the 2D and 3D Blu-rays for Tangled.

These screenshots are taken from the Blu-rays themselves. They are untouched.

Hmm... do they really? I usually back up my discs to my PC and watch them that way off my file server's hard drives so I guess it must bypass any dumb restrictions Disney might put on the discs. :)

I don't have a physical copy of Tangled 3D in my hands yet to try on a standalone player like PS3 so I don't know if this disc has any restrictions on it.

[quote name='Xizer']About Tangled - the 2D-only disc sucks. You're better off watching the 3D disc in 2D mode if you don't have a 3DTV.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/b1d38a124720824
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9ac5c1124720863

Notice the much more detailed backgrounds on the 3D version... 2D is too blurry.

So those of you considering getting the non-3D package... you may want to reconsider.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that isn't even remotely close. It looks like one of the 3D layers was blurred when mastering the 2D version. Thanks for the heads up.

wait a minute...are you fuckING TELLING ME STUDIOS ARE NOW fuckING WITH THE PQ OF THE 2-D HD RELEASE OF A MOVIE TO MAKE THE 3-D VERSION SUPERIOR!??!?!

So now we have to pay 30-45 bucks JUST TO GET a BETTER PQ when some of us DON'T HAVE 3-D TV!!!!

[quote name='Xizer']About Tangled - the 2D-only disc sucks. You're better off watching the 3D disc in 2D mode if you don't have a 3DTV.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/b1d38a124720824
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9ac5c1124720863

Notice the much more detailed backgrounds on the 3D version... 2D is too blurry.

So those of you considering getting the non-3D package... you may want to reconsider.[/QUOTE]

I am going to wait for more professional opinions to see whether or not this is true, but if it is true, it's very disturbing news.

There is nothing wrong with the picture quality of the movie in 2D. There is, however, something wrong with people basing their opinion of said picture quality on a single frame. As others have pointed out in the other thread, you apparently gain detail, but you lose depth when watching the 3D version in 2D. If you really prefer that, fine. However, saying that the 2D version "sucks" is uncalled for.

I'm not sure what's so unprofessional about two screenshots directly from the Blu-ray sources, but okay.

I'm skeptical as to whether the common review outlets like Blu-ray.com, High Def Digest, etc. will be competent enough to pick up on differences between the 2D Blu-ray and the 3D Blu-ray's 2D stream.

The difference in background sharpness might be artistic intent. Disney is known for intentionally making their backgrounds more simple, abstract, and painterly so as to better allow the foreground action to "take center stage." This old-school depth-of-field technique was called out specifically on the Bolt audio commentary. They use 2D background plates somewhat similarly to how Resident Evil and Final Fantasy on PS1 drew 3D models on top of pre-rendered 2D backgrounds. It was interesting to see the behind-the-scenes featurette where you see how little of a scene is actually 3D rendered. They even showed tests using more- and less-detailed backgrounds to demonstrate that in some cases "less is better."

It would be interesting to hear if when viewing the 3D blu-ray in 3D if the sharp backgrounds become blurred. When I saw it in 3D in theaters, it felt more like the traditional painted backgrounds rather than the annoyingly distracting I-don't-know-what-to-look-at-because-everything-is-too-sharp clarity of most other CG movies.

I'll accept that the difference in PQ is an intentional portrayal of depth of field if it can be shown that other 3D CG films have used the same technique going from 2D to 3D (or vice versa). Otherwise I'm not sure what to think here...

It definitely makes sense that it would be intentional. I have heard some of the 3D naysayers say that they find it annoying when they try to "look around" the various layers in the image and find some of them are out of focus. Of course it's standard 2D photographic technique to have the focus trained on some areas of the image and blurred on others, but it may not be as appropriate for 3D photography. I think filmmakers are still feeling out the best way to create an ideal 3D image. Disney may have realized that 3D draws the viewer's eyes more around the different layers of the image, if even just for the novelty of it, and therefore it would be disconcerting to have the eye drawn to a part of the screen that was blurred, so they "unblurred" all the layers of the image for 3D. But if they were just to do the film in standard 2D, they would probably always have left the backgrounds more out of focus as we see here. I'm not entirely sure how 3D works in the eye, but is it possible that 3D allows the viewer to actually use their own vision to put the background of the image out of focus naturally as opposed to needing it done artificially for you in a 2D image? Disney/Pixar may be the only studio willing to put this level of attention into a product. Remember how Pixar would reframe the characters in the image for the pan & scan vs. widescreen versions of their movies? I would definitely prefer the image with greater clarity across the entire depth of field even if I was watching the movie in 2D, but I've always been a fan of unnecessary detail.

Also, there might be an even simpler explanation than that. Looking again at the images, it is hard to tell just how far back those background trees and bushes are supposed to be from the foreground action, because the relative size of them is not obvious. It could be a green hill several yards away or a big mountain in the background. In 3D, you would be able to tell how far away they are because of the extra dimension. But in 2D, the blurring acts as a crutch to suggest to the eye that those are far in the background, either because you believe your eye is that much out-of-focus or that there are many layers of mist in the air between you and the distant objects. This is definitely a great illustration of the limitations and unnaturalness of 2D, and how much fudging and compromising has to be done in 2D photography to trick the viewer into thinking there's depth. That's why 3D is so great. It more mirrors our natural vision and is thus less fake and artificial.

[quote name='Xizer']I'm not sure what's so unprofessional about two screenshots directly from the Blu-ray sources, but okay.

I'm skeptical as to whether the common review outlets like Blu-ray.com, High Def Digest, etc. will be competent enough to pick up on differences between the 2D Blu-ray and the 3D Blu-ray's 2D stream.[/QUOTE]

If the sites are truly professional, they WILL pick up on it, despite your skepticism. You're a stranger to me, so I don't trust you. Simple.

If you could, they could.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's bad news and then there's worse news.

The bad news is that the Tangled coupon from Disney is only $5 off (and it's only good until 4/3). The worse news is that it's starting to look like the $5 off coupon Target is going to advertise is actually just going to be THIS Disney coupon. I guess Toys-R-Us is also going to advertise a $5 off coupon and the link to the coupon they provide sends you directly to the Disney Movie Rewards coupon (not a separate store coupon) so people are thinking Target is doing the same thing. So really you're only going to get $5 off total ($19.99 for the 4-disc set).

It's not a terrible price, but it's certainly disappointing when you consider most people thought it was going to end up only costing $10-12. Oh well.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Well there's bad news and then there's worse news.

The bad news is that the Tangled coupon from Disney is only $5 off (and it's only good until 4/3). The worse news is that it's starting to look like the $5 off coupon Target is going to advertise is actually just going to be THIS Disney coupon. I guess Toys-R-Us is also going to advertise a $5 off coupon and the link to the coupon they provide sends you directly to the Disney Movie Rewards coupon (not a separate store coupon) so people are thinking Target is doing the same thing. So really you're only going to get $5 off total ($19.99 for the 4-disc set).

It's not a terrible price, but it's certainly disappointing when you consider most people thought it was going to end up only costing $10-12. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised at all. This is what I was expecting since I remember that TRU did the same thing for the last couple Disney releases, and I'm pretty sure Target did, too. I hate to be a cynic, but I was wondering why everyone was being so optimistic about the savings on Tangled.

I think I'm going to stick with it from Amazon for $21.99, since it looks like it might be within a dollar of that at Target, if the Disney $5 coupon is the only one that will be applicable there. I suspect Disney and the retailers have agreed to scale back on the coupons. If something happens and my local Target doesn't get the 3-D version in, I want to get one of a decent price.

Based on the Target ad scan now posted on the blu-ray.com forums, there's nothing stating that the $24.99 price for the 4-disc combo pack is "after coupon." The mention in the ad for the $5 off coupon for the 4-disc pack available on Target's website is actually on a separate part of the page, not immediately around the $24.99 price, which leads me to believe that you can use the DMR coupon and Target's $5 off a $24.99+ Disney BD to get the total down to $14.99.

Based on the scan, even if the $24.99 is the price after coupon, it's definitely not clear. You could probably argue it if you wanted to.

[quote name='jbirou']Based on the Target ad scan now posted on the blu-ray.com forums, there's nothing stating that the $24.99 price for the 4-disc combo pack is "after coupon." The mention in the ad for the $5 off coupon for the 4-disc pack available on Target's website is actually on a separate part of the page, not immediately around the $24.99 price, which leads me to believe that you can use the DMR coupon and Target's $5 off a $24.99+ Disney BD to get the total down to $14.99.

Based on the scan, even if the $24.99 is the price after coupon, it's definitely not clear. You could probably argue it if you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the link for the ad? I cant seem to find it on bluray.com

[quote name='jbirou']Based on the Target ad scan now posted on the blu-ray.com forums, there's nothing stating that the $24.99 price for the 4-disc combo pack is "after coupon." The mention in the ad for the $5 off coupon for the 4-disc pack available on Target's website is actually on a separate part of the page, not immediately around the $24.99 price, which leads me to believe that you can use the DMR coupon and Target's $5 off a $24.99+ Disney BD to get the total down to $14.99.

Based on the scan, even if the $24.99 is the price after coupon, it's definitely not clear. You could probably argue it if you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Who is saying that the price is 24.99 after the coupon? I think the big deal is that there is only one coupon. The Disney coupon and the Target coupon are probably the same thing.

To those with a problem with the 3D/2D disc differences...

My understanding of 3D is this. You must keep as much of the picture IN FOCUS as possible, to create sharp images that the 3D can work with.

Now, with traditional 2D filmmaking, having your backgrounds be soft and out of focus is a style. It has to do with depth-of-field. Animated films have been trying to recreate this, especially over the last 10 yrs. They even hire film DP's to advise on such things (like Roger Deakins did for Wall-E).

What's fairly obvious with this animation, is that to create a better 3D experience, they sharpened all the backgrounds that were originally softened for the 2D release. For 2D, they simply wanted the best image possible... for 3D, they had to create the sharper backgrounds to help the 3D 'pop'.

Short version... the 2D version on the 3D disc is the gimped version. If you're watching in 2D, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the director's intent is for those backgrounds to be soft and out of focus.... not sharp and overly detailed.

Posted this in the coupon thread but I know a lot of people look here too.

Well everyone that hoped Target would get a Target branded coupon for Tangled to go along with the DMR one, sorry to disappoint but it just links you to the DMR site. :(

Target.com/movies

3 pages and this thread hasn't been merged?! Mods slippin? Thanks for those who contributed good info to this thread (like JPBoston)

(I don't mind, I think these coupons should get their own thread)

bread's done
Back