Target (and Costco)- Alias $12.99 per season Aug 4 - Aug 31

deadite76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Temp price cuts from Aug. 4th thru Aug. 31st for the season sets of Alias at $12.99 each. I just saw these at Costco for the same price, so take your pick.

Texan26 posted this over at DVDTalk so thanks to him/her for the heads up.

I would love to pick-up the slimpack versions of seasons one and two so all my season match. The huge boxes of those look so out of place next to the slimmer packs I have for the other three seasons.

I would like to get into this show, but i was wondering if it maintains its high quality throughout its 5 seasons, or does it kind of take a dive as the series progresses. Also, does the series end completely or a cliffhanger?

Thanks for the heads up. Huge JJ Abrams fan here, and I've been meaning to get into this show. I'll probably try to at least pick up the first season to see what I've been missing.

edit: Scratch that. The whole series for $70 compared to the box set for $156? Might as well grab them all. Target better at least have some rain checks when I get there.

[quote name='havoksin']I would like to get into this show, but i was wondering if it maintains its high quality throughout its 5 seasons, or does it kind of take a dive as the series progresses. Also, does the series end completely or a cliffhanger?[/QUOTE]

Ends with a very good ending not a cliffhanger they knew season 5 was the last season right as the season started. It gets a little weak in the middle of the shows run but nothing thats as bad to keep you from watching.

[quote name='morphineseason']Thanks for the heads up. Huge JJ Abrams fan here, and I've been meaning to get into this show. I'll probably try to at least pick up the first season to see what I've been missing.

edit: Scratch that. The whole series for $70 compared to the box set for $156? Might as well grab them all. Target better at least have some rain checks when I get there.[/QUOTE]

Just pick-up all 5 seasons if you can I would say other than BSG this is my favorite series of all time. Plus it one of those shows that gets you hooked and you will end up watching 4-5 episodes a night without even knowing it.

I guess I'll have to make a run by Target or Costco, as I've been waiting for the season sets to get down to inexpensive. $12.99 certainly works.

I would like to get into this show, but i was wondering if it maintains its high quality throughout its 5 seasons

Ummm...that's debatable. The first season is one of the best things ever done on television. Period. The second season was handed off from JJ, and it quickly goes downhill. He comes back in at the midpoint, rescues it a bit, but it still finishes slightly weak. The third season is _horrendous_. The fourth season is watchable, as they change the show's dynamic quite a bit to try to keep it fresh. The fifth season, as stated, is decent only because they knew it would be the last. Season 4 ends with quite a WTF moment, which sets season 5 up to be interesting, to say the least.

It's a frustrating show because of how strong it started. When JJ was actually involved, the show is brilliant.

If Amazon price matches, I'll consider. What's the cheapest that the complete series set has ever been marked down?

Welp, can't say I'm surprised. I went into Target today and they didn't have a single season of Alias in stock. Can't even get a rain check either, according to an employee, because it's a temporary price cut and not a sale item. The employee even gave me the usual vague "well it might be in, it might not be."

This isn't the first sale/price cut this has happened on. It seems like every sale item I go to get at Target has little to no stock (usually nothing). It's like they're purposely trying not to take my money. Fingers crossed on a possible Amazon price match, but I'm not counting on it since this isn't an advertised sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I might need to see about picking up the first season. I remember watching the first 2 on TV, and I loved the first, but it got a bit lame later on. I'll have to check out my Target.

This isn't the first sale/price cut this has happened on. It seems like every sale item I go to get at Target has little to no stock (usually nothing). It's like they're purposely trying not to take my money. Fingers crossed on a possible Amazon price match, but I'm not counting on it since this isn't an advertised sale.

They probably wont get anymore in since temporary price cuts are usual the equivalent of clearance items out, and is done to move stock that isn't selling.

I feel your pain though as I went to two Targets and both had zilch in stock.

[quote name='robin2099']They probably wont get anymore in since temporary price cuts are usual the equivalent of clearance items out, and is done to move stock that isn't selling.

I feel your pain though as I went to two Targets and both had zilch in stock.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it seems like it is a studio thing as Best Buy has Alias and Golden Girls ( I think?) on sale as well, but at a slightly higher price ($4 more each I believe). As to whether or not they will get more, who knows, but I don't remember seeing the place for them at my local Targets before this, so I hope they actually get them in. I need the slim versions of seasons 1 and 2 to complete my collection.

EDIT: My local Target got new copies in today, every season, although I took the last of season 2.

damn we don't have a costco (only sams) and our target(s) haven't carried a season of ALIAS since season 5 released years ago

Ran by Target this morning and found shelf tags for all the season sets of Alias..... without any copies, of course. :bomb:

I guess I'll check Costco and see what I can find.

I just bought all 5 seasons from deepdiscount.com 5th one is still on backorder may see if I can hunt it down. I paid $16.99 with the 25% off coupon a season or something. Very good price @ $12.99 if you can find it.

I do not believe they are trying to clean out excess stock. This is the same type of promotion others did with Prison Break season sets. I am going to pick up a rain check so that when they receive more I will pick it up after the 31st. If they were not expecting to get more they would not run the sale thru the end of August.

Thanks OP, I still need to get Season 5 to complete the collection. Hopefully my Costco or Target will have it in stock.

[quote name='rcavictor1956']I do not believe they are trying to clean out excess stock. This is the same type of promotion others did with Prison Break season sets. I am going to pick up a rain check so that when they receive more I will pick it up after the 31st. If they were not expecting to get more they would not run the sale thru the end of August.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. My Target would not give me rain checks because it wasn't a sale item, only a temporary price cut.

I just got a raincheck from them. Try another Target and another employee. Also give them the wink and the gun, and get a little more persistent. They like to help people at that store.

I was able to get Alias Season 5 today to complete my Alias collection. I did not realize that Buena Vista/Disney has changed the packaging to these new slimmer DVD cases. (Same kind that Prison Break Season 4 and 24 Season 7 come in). Now Season 5 looks out of place with my Season 1-4 sets:cry:. At least I got it for a good price. I am tempted to sell my Season 1-4 sets, and go back to buy them for $12.99 each so all my DVD cases will match.

[quote name='morphineseason']Good luck with that. My Target would not give me rain checks because it wasn't a sale item, only a temporary price cut.[/QUOTE]Same here. They said that the only items that are raincheck-able are items in their weekly sales flier.

[quote name='gdemander']I just got a raincheck from them. Try another Target and another employee. Also give them the wink and the gun, and get a little more persistent. They like to help people at that store.[/QUOTE]I'm going to try another Target and see if I can get as lucky as you did.

They happened to have Season One in stock and I took it to customer service and asked them to price match it for the rest of the seasons. I think the issue is that they need a barcode or UPC to be able to punch into the computer. I would imagine that most employees don't know what is in the ad and probably just go along with whatever you ask them to do.

This is the worst price drop ever!!! Great price, but no stock...

My Target restocked over the weekend. Grabbed the entire series today, but anyone know what's up with these super slim packs? Looks like a single dvd... Kinda wack...

These are a steal at this price. Too bad I already own them all. Also if noone has mentioned it yet..and if anyone is interested. My Target had all the Golden Girls dvd sets marked down to $7.99 or $8.99..can't remember which.

Ran by my local Costco last night and found they had a number of the season sets on-hand. Thankfully, they had all of them, so I lucked out, as I picked up the last S4 and S5 sets they had.

Thanks for the heads-up OP, I stopped by my local CostCo and nabbed all 5 seasons for $68.65 - a veritable steal. Time for a Garner-a-thon.

Managed to snag the last copies of seasons 2 , 4 and 5. No luck on seasons 1 or 3 though. I'd glad offer up some paypal (or something else) for anyone that can find me those 2 seasons.

I sort of lucked out. My Target must have gotten more in stock, but by the time I noticed, they only had one copy of season 1, 4, and 5. I picked them all up in hopes that I will also get 2 and 3, plus at least I get to start at season 1.

So I managed to find all of them at my Target last night. Now that I have them, my rain check is going to go to waste.

[quote name='morphineseason']I sort of lucked out. My Target must have gotten more in stock, but by the time I noticed, they only had one copy of season 1, 4, and 5. I picked them all up in hopes that I will also get 2 and 3, plus at least I get to start at season 1.[/QUOTE]

Got 2 and 3 today, completing the whole set! Woohoo! Thanks so much for pointing this out, op. Would have never known otherwise since I never go into Target, and this is not being advertised. Getting the whole set for $69.50 is a sweet deal.

I know this is a longshot but I will ask anyway. If anyone want to trade their 5 slim season sets for my 5 fatter boxed sets I would be willing to pay for your shipping and a few bucks more. I have no more room for DVD sets and getting the slimmer ones to replace my fatter boxed sets would be great.

[quote name='rcannon']I was able to get seasons 1 & 3, guess I'll try again soon.[/QUOTE]

Definitely keep trying. If it helps anyone, Target gets their stock in on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Their stock usually comes in as early as 4am, so don't be afraid to call close to their opening.

Don't let anyone tell you that they "doubt they'll get anymore in", because that's what they told me a couple times, but I continued to call, and they've been consistently getting more in (I picked up 1, 4, and 5 sets one day, and 2 and 3 today). Just be warned that they seem to getting in very small shipments at a time (i.e. One copy of each season), so act quickly.

Hope this helps someone.

Edit: Just another tip: YOU CAN NOT GET RAINCHECKS!. A worker specifically told me they do not give out rainchecks for temporary price cuts - only sales. If you want to try and see if an employee is dumb enough to give you one, and then run into another employee that is dumb enough to accept it after August 31st, I guess that's your business, but I would not put your trust in going that route.

[quote name='morphineseason']
Edit: Just another tip: YOU CAN NOT GET RAINCHECKS!. A worker specifically told me they do not give out rainchecks for temporary price cuts - only sales. If you want to try and see if an employee is dumb enough to give you one, and then run into another employee that is dumb enough to accept it after August 31st, I guess that's your business, but I would not put your trust in going that route.[/QUOTE]

I got a raincheck and on the raincheck itself, it does not distinguish between a temporary price cut item and a sales item. My guess is that it is up to the original employee to determine these things. If you do find an employee that will do this, (as I did without even making a big deal of the whole thing) my guess is that it won't be an issue to have them honor it when they do come in. Target managers would have a really difficult time denying you when you have a raincheck in your hand. I would think the only difficult part is initially getting one.

I ran to Costco today and asked them about restocking, because they were down to a single season package. From what the rep at my store told me, there doesn't seem to be any restocking on this. :cry:

Admittedly, this was my store, so it may not apply to other stores, though keep that in mind when deciding to pick this up at Costco.

bread's done
Back