Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – UPDATE: *BLACK FRIDAY EXCLUDED*

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
UPDATE: Contrary to language used in the original press conference and the following business media reports, Black Friday thru Cyber Monday is excluded. Other limitations are listed below.

Starting Nov 1 thru Dec 16

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/target-says-it-will-match-select-online-pricing-2012-10-16
Target Corp. became the latest big-box chain to offer to match the online prices of some rival retailers in what is shaping up to be a fiercely competitive holiday shopping season.
Like Best Buy Co., which last week announced similar plans, Target is seeking to combat "showrooming" by shoppers who check out products in its stores but buy them on competitors' websites, often at lower prices.

Target said Tuesday that its strategy for the holiday season includes being "intensely competitive'' on price, while also showcasing exclusive merchandise, such as a limited-edition designer collection it is creating with Neiman Marcus Group Inc.

The Minneapolis-based retailer said it would match prices from Amazon.com Inc.,Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16.

Best Buy's online matching program started already, but excludes Thanksgiving weekend and CyberMonday. It also includes matching the prices of a larger number of retailers.

Target Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel said Tuesday that he wasn't concerned that price-matching would dent the company's profit margins. "We're already rock solid in price," Mr. Steinhafel said. "But if periodically some competitor has a lower price, this gives our guests the ability to know 'I can do all of my one-stop shopping in Target.' "

Last year, Target eschewed battling competitors on price to preserve its profits, but the retailer missed its sales projections for the fourth quarter. Another contributor to the miss was its troubled website, which crashed several times last fall, leading to declining Internet sales during the holiday.

This year, Target said, it has increased its online capabilities, tripling the orders per hour the site can handle, and has been testing the site in anticipation of higher traffic during the launch of the Target/Neiman Marcus collection on Dec. 1.

Last January, Mr. Steinhafel, in a widely publicized letter, asked suppliers to help Target stem the showrooming trend. Among other things, he asked vendors to produce more exclusive merchandise that would make it harder to compare items to similar things in other stores.

From Target's website:

Holiday Price Matching: select online competitors

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at a Target store between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16 and find the identical item for less at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com or BabiesRUs.com. Simply show us the current online price using your mobile device, or bring in a printed page showing the current online price by Dec. 16. The online price and availability will be validated by a Target team member at the Guest Service desk.

• Excludes “Marketplace” prices: Price matched items must be sold by Walmart.com, Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, or BabiesRUs.com; prices from 3rd party sellers on these websites will not be honored.
  • Excludes Target stores in Alaska and Hawaii.
  • Limit quantity of 1 online price match per identical item, per guest.
  • Must bring in original Target receipt when requesting the price match by Dec. 16.
  • The retail price must be shown on the competitor’s website and must be valid at the time the price match is requested.
  • The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
  • Online prices from Nov. 22–26 are excluded.
  • Excludes online prices from competitors not listed above.
What is excluded from the Holiday Price Match?

In addition, the following exclusions apply:

• Items originally purchased at Target.com
  • Prices that only display on a website after guests log in
  • Purchases from CityTarget stores
  • For items that are out of stock at Target or a competitor at the time the price match is requested; rain checks will not be issued for any item being price matched
  • Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity
  • Paid membership club or paid loyalty programs (e.g. prices that require a club or loyalty card that is associated with a membership fee)
  • Competitor coupon-required or gift card offers
  • Competitor price matches on items where Target is offering a free gift card
  • Prices advertised only as a percent off or dollar off
  • Buy one, get one if the retail price is not shown in the advertisement
  • Free product where no qualifying purchase is required
  • Bundled offers (including Amazon.com add-on items) and special purchases
  • Timed events (e.g., early bird, door busters)
  • Sales tax promotions
  • Damaged, refurbished and open package product
  • Clearance or closeout items
  • Mail in offers or instant rebates
  • Product services (warranties, assembly, etc.)
  • Going-out-of-business liquidations
  • Offers that include financing
  • Used or previously owned items
  • Pricing or typographical errors
  • Target Portrait Studio, Optical and Clinic offers
  • Non-branded items (e.g., produce not marketed under a specific brand name)
  • Contract cell phone plans and devices
  • Daily Deals, Lightning Deals, Gold Box Deals, Today’s Deals, Deal of the Day, Deal Near to Me, Value of the Day, Special Buy
  • Target team member discounts may not be used with online competitor price match
All matches are done against pre-tax prices; guest is responsible for applicable taxes.

What qualifies as proof of a price?

• For printed ads: please show us the entire printed advertisement. Photos, photocopies, or mobile phone versions (of the ad) cannot be accepted as verification of a competitor’s printed ad.
  • For online prices: please show us your mobile device or a printout from a qualifying competitor’s website or Target.com. A Target team member will then verify the match using a Target device.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all bullshit. It always sounds great and then you go in to price match and there is some gotcha that they use to wiggle out of it. It makes a great press release but is never that good in practice so I am skeptical.

[quote name='rjejr']Target has never been the best for game prices but I am happy to read about the in store wifi.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if it weren't for my discounts, I would rarely buy a game there that wasn't on the clearance rack.

However, if you really want a game day one and nobody has a good deal, you can just get it at Target, and when Best Buy takes $20-30 off two months later, buy it there and return the sealed copy to Target.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Wow, this is gonna be a crazy BF this year... anyone working at Customer service/Guest Services is gonna hate BF even more! :([/QUOTE]

That's going to be me, lol. I'm not looking forward to Black Friday this year since I'll be working a twelve hour shift. Free food and some bank. Can't complain about that!

[quote name='slppedyoursster']I am too cheap for a data plan for my phone. So I guess I will lug my laptop to Target.[/QUOTE]

Wi-fi will roll out in stores for customers to scan QR codes and whatnot, but will also benefit those looking up competitor pricing and wish to price match.

[quote name='manicbomber']Wi-fi will roll out in stores for customers to scan QR codes and whatnot, but will also benefit those looking up competitor pricing and wish to price match.[/QUOTE]

Right. But at least according to the information that I have found, if you have a phone capable of Internet browsing but do not have a data plan, even if you are on a wifi network, data charges will incur.

I think it is great that people will be able to use their phones on a wifi network. However, I do think it could be a field day for hackers. :whistle2:x

[quote name='Scorch']Nice try, Target. I don't shop online for the amazing deals, I shop online because I can shop without putting pants on[/QUOTE]

... or in my case, underwear.

[quote name='Dirty']As someone who works at Target in the electronics section, I really try to save the cases. I really do. But unfortunately, it's a different work center that actually resets the game section every week, and they don't give a shit.

When a game changes location, they could just put the already damaged copy into the display case in the new location, but they just grab a copy at random, and 9 times out of 10, they end up picking one that was still mint. It's crazy when you a game that has changed location several times, and you end up with 6 or 7 cases with the "Target Pinch".

I know this isn't really the topic of this thread, but this is the first time I've seen someone just as annoyed about this as I am.[/QUOTE]

Same here... I thought I was the only that cared about a mint case on my games. I've returned games to Target specifically because of this.

The "Target Pinch"... now I know what to call it!!

I avoid those pinched cases like the plague. I was also wondering how so many copies could possibly get damaged when there is just one display copy, so thanks to the Target guy for explaining this.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Right. But at least according to the information that I have found, if you have a phone capable of Internet browsing but do not have a data plan, even if you are on a wifi network, data charges will incur.

I think it is great that people will be able to use their phones on a wifi network. However, I do think it could be a field day for hackers. :whistle2:x[/QUOTE]

this info is false, if you have a wifi capable device you can use it free.

Thread title should be changed in my opinion. On Target's own website it states that THERE WILL NOT BE PRICE MATCHES from online retailers from NOV. 22nd through the 26th and that DOOR BUSTER/LIMITED QUANTITY ITEMS are subject to this as well aka what Target has always done other then now matching online retailers excluding Black friday weekend. Target and every other B&M retailers always lists 99 percent of the items in their two-day ads as limited quantity or as a door buster.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I had a feeling price-matching BF ads was too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is no way retailers will do it. Best Buy has the same stipulation for black friday weekend, no matching.

[quote name='Solomon87']Yeah, there is no way retailers will do it. Best Buy has the same stipulation for black friday weekend, no matching.[/QUOTE]
Pro Tip: Walmart does.

[quote name='lordopus99']Pro Tip: Walmart does.[/QUOTE]

For me, walmart does not count. I live in Chicago and we only have one true walmart in the city and fuck if i'm going to that ghetto piece of trash. Not wasting gas either to get to one in the burbs, just not worth it. I will stick to whoever gives me the better deal with Best Buy, Target or Amazon. Although i'm super wary of going to Best Buy this year considering how they fucked up holiday orders last year and i was one of them.

[quote name='snoopydoggy2002']Has anyone done this yet? How did it work?[/QUOTE]

I tried to match something on newegg before reading about the policy and got shot down.

The fine print says:

-They will only price match online from amazon, bestbuy, walmart, and toysrus/babyrus. THAT'S IT.

-Nothing that runs from November 22 - 26 will be price matched.

-In the event you can price match, each person is only allowed to buy 1 item at the lowered price.

-You still can't pricematch other targets and clearance items.

Here are the rest of the details: https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q1972

In a nutshell, you can pricematch those 5 online sites anytime except during black friday.

You bring proof of the sale, and they will verify it themselves on their computer. If you want to pm a lightning deal, you better be as fast one. Nope, no pm there either.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you can price their website of course. That brings it up to 6 sites. And no lightning deals.

[quote name='jltaser']I tried to match something on newegg before reading about the policy and got shot down.

The fine print says:

-They will only price match online from amazon, bestbuy, walmart, and toysrus/babyrus. THAT'S IT.

-Nothing that runs from November 22 - 26 will be price matched.

-In the event you can price match, each person is only allowed to buy 1 item at the lowered price.

-You still can't pricematch other targets and clearance items.

Here are the rest of the details: https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q1972

In a nutshell, you can pricematch those 5 online sites anytime except during black friday.

You bring proof of the sale, and they will verify it themselves on their computer. If you want to pm a lightning deal, you better be as fast one.[/QUOTE]

Target will not match lightning deals either, it says so right in the policy.
And i believe the policy states that you can only price match 1 of the same item, you should be able to price match multiple items, just not multiples of the same item.

[quote name='Solomon87']Target will not match lightning deals either, it says so right in the policy.
And i believe the policy states that you can only price match 1 of the same item, you should be able to price match multiple items, just not multiples of the same item.[/QUOTE]

I believe you're right. As restrictive as their policy is, I'm not surprised lightning deals are excluded.

[quote name='jltaser']I believe you're right. As restrictive as their policy is, I'm not surprised lightning deals are excluded.[/QUOTE]

It's why i am not impressed with their *new holiday policy* because it is the same old shit from Target and Best Buy hidden under the guise of, "We now price match online only from Walmart, and Amazon, Best buy and Target!!".

I mean sure, i am happy i can at least price match Amazon with Target but come on, that's not much.

i bought assassin's creed liberation on the 30th from target, if it's cheaper between now and BF @ target or some where else, can i get a price match from target ?.

i got a little mixed up with reading the terms for their PM rules. lol

[quote name='Alex121006']i bought assassin's creed liberation on the 30th from target, if it's cheaper between now and BF @ target or some where else, can i get a price match from target ?.

i got a little mixed up with reading the terms for their PM rules. lol[/QUOTE]
The new PM policy went into effect on November 1st, only purchases starting from that point on count.

[quote name='Alex121006']i bought assassin's creed liberation on the 30th from target, if it's cheaper between now and BF @ target or some where else, can i get a price match from target ?.

i got a little mixed up with reading the terms for their PM rules. lol[/QUOTE]

Just return a sealed copy of the game back to target with your original receipt.

[quote name='snoopydoggy2002']With how much Amazon change prices for somethings, do they take printed pages or do they have to check it online right then and there?[/QUOTE]

Bringing a printout is super YMMV, they will most likely want you to show them on your phone right there.

[quote name='snoopydoggy2002']Has anyone done this yet? How did it work?[/QUOTE]

I pricematched FFXIII-2 at my local Target from toysrus.com. Here's my tale:

The price is $10.00 on tru.com ($19.99 Target), but on Friday tru.com had 20% off online clearance. Unfortunately, the $8 price only showed in the cart. So, I added it to my cart on my phone, and took it to Customer Service to price match (as the Electronics counter could not).

At the counter, I showed them my phone and informed them of a price match. They proceeded to get an iPad out and opened a special Target app. I said (knowing that the $8 price wouldn't show) "that's ok...I have it right here on my phone". The nice worker insisted they needed to do the iPad thing.

The app prompted here to scan the item, but it didn't seem to accept it or do what she wanted. It then showed an image of the five competitors, and she clicked Toys R Us but it just went to their homepage (seems like she was looking for the product page). She then grabbed my phone with my permission, swiped around a little bit, and gave me the $8 price from there. Technically shouldn't have received this price match, as it's considered clearance.

The CS worker was nice, and I ultimately got my price match, but if the process is going to be like this I think it might back fire with long waits and frustrated consumers who can't get things matched because of some limitation.

[quote name='Solomon87']Bringing a printout is super YMMV, they will most likely want you to show them on your phone right there.[/QUOTE]

Per the updated OP, you bring in the printout, but they look on their iPad anyway.

bread's done
Back