Target Buy Forza 5 ($59.99) , get a Free 1 year xbox live (YMMV)

Ricky_U

CAGiversary!
The guy who ringed me up couldn't believe this deal. It didn't come out automatically so he overrid it himself also with the 10% off from cartwheel for a grand total of 58.31.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, whoever was in charge of signage this week at Target really screwed up. This sign is just very poorly worded, all the damn Blu Rays they mislabeled for nearly 3 days... that's a lot of poor planning.

I wish the Target employees working at my local Targets were so simple-minded and cooperative. Even if I try to get them to ring up a good deal that's legitimate, they immediately go running to their supervisors / team leaders to ensure that they can go ahead and do the transaction. And when it comes to things like price matching and such, the customer service people are even more anal retentive than the regular electronics' employees.

Went to try and get this morning and the Target I went to was out of Forza (or they pulled them off the shelf).   Going to try another Target later.  It would be nice to get in on it, since my XBL runs out next week

It makes me sad to see how many people will knowingly and gleefully go into a store to try and scam them.  Yes... that's what you are doing if you are aware this deal pertains to the console bundle.  

It makes me sad to see how many people will knowingly and gleefully go into a store to try and scam them. Yes... that's what you are doing if you are aware this deal pertains to the console bundle.
Signage I read free xbox live 1 year with forza purchase, didn't see anything about a console bundle, so that is just a mistake on targets part if they meant the bundle.

Signage I read free xbox live 1 year with forza purchase, didn't see anything about a console bundle, so that is just a mistake on targets part if they meant the bundle.
But the other sign is on the console, not the game, and the deal doesn't ring up automatically. You KNOW it's meant for the console. It's a fine line in my opinion.

Well, it's Wednesday and the signage is still up, so Target doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned about it.

Just hit one of the local Targets and was able to snag the last copy of Forza and a card. Interesting note, the sign was by the subscription cards as noted earlier, but there is no sign, either with the Forza Motorsport 5 copies or the consoles themselves. There were two people back there and they even called up the LOD (their term for manager). He came back, took a look at the sign, double checked that there were no other Forza games for the Xbox One, and made up with the game with the cartwheel and red card discount. Didn't use my employee discount though as I didn't want to raise any further suspicion than necessary.

Got it! Thanks OP! Do you think I could return Forza for the full 60 dollars since the live card was price adjusted, and technically not a promo?
You most likely could. Keep an eye on your receipt and see where they mark the discount down. They marked the Sub card down to $0 for me with the game ringing $50 something (after cartwheel). For better success, don't show them your receipt, but instead just do the return off your credit / debit card. That way, they won't see any prices you paid for the subscription card. May need to wait a day or two for it to clear on your card if you go to a different Target though.

Just hit one of the local Targets and was able to snag the last copy of Forza and a card. Interesting note, the sign was by the subscription cards as noted earlier, but there is no sign, either with the Forza Motorsport 5 copies or the consoles themselves. There were two people back there and they even called up the LOD (their term for manager). He came back, took a look at the sign, double checked that there were no other Forza games for the Xbox One, and made up with the game with the cartwheel and red card discount. Didn't use my employee discount though as I didn't want to raise any further suspicion than necessary.
That's how it went down for me as well. Only difference is the guy in the electronics department wasn't going to give me the deal, but forced him to call the manager, where I pointed out the poor wording and got the deal. I would feel worse about this if they hadn't been hacked and compromised all 3 of my credit cards.

LOL Scam them? That's cute.
It is at the very least unethical. To be aware of their error and use it for your material or financial gain with specific care as to how to pitch it when speaking to their employees and checking out? Not the loveliest of 'deals' I've seen here, for sure.

I went to local target to check this out.

Conversation with the employee

Me: What is this deal with the xbox live 12 month cards (pointed at the 12 month xbox live card with forza deal)

Employee: If you buy the forza 5 GAME for Xbox one then you get this 12 month card for free

Me: Well that sounds great ill take it

Employee Ringing me up: Well its not taking the price of the card down to 0 let me just override the price down and make sure this is ok with my manager.

Employee calls manager and her exact words - yes override the price of the card down to 0 as the sign says.

So basically from my experience - the signage is terrible.

I do not think this is scamming or unethical at all. If you ask the employees and they clearly state that the deal is for the Xbox one Forza 5 game and then you get the 12 month card for free i have no issues in doing this.

The resolution for Target

1. the sign is terrible and they should fix it to specify the xbox one CONSOLE to eliminate the confusion and specify what the deal is for

2. most of the time they will honor the deal because it is posted on the signs. It does not matter if the deal is listed in the ad. if the deal is posted in the store then they should honor it. i look at this as the same as in store mark downs (they are not in the ad at all, but still valid deals because they are listed in the store)

3. if this is not a valid deal then why in the world is the sign right next to the 12 month live cards. there is no mention of this deal with the xbox ones or the forza 5 game

Saying that you are aware of the mistake and will exploit it instead of tell them about it, is definitely unethical. It is irrelevant whether you tested them to see if they would catch on to what you already knew and proceeded to take.

It is totally different if a customer saw the sign with no prior knowledge (and there's a few places where it makes sense to have the sign in the store, including by the valuable item you could get for free with the actual promotion). Knowing the mistake and then testing them and taking advantage is not the same at all.

I'm not sure anyone could pick the option where they know of the mistake and take advantage if you were asked to pick the ethical option on a survey at your job. How you justify it in your head is not clear to me, but I doubt that answer would go over smoothly as the best option with most people running businesses.

So basically my final thought
Specify explicitly what you are selling and leave no confusion to the buyer or seller
I did not even look at their paper ad and still haven't I just saw people getting this deal on here and other people saying its invalid

bread's done
Back