Target Clearance Thread XXII

At Costa Mesa Target right now, pretty much the same except for two games:

:ps3: Killzone 3 $3.04 - it is part of the BOGO sale, but I can't find anything to combine with.
:360: The Walking Dead Season 2 $2.26 - damn I haven't seen a game at 90% off in a long time!
I got myself one, any local CAGs can still get it if they want, I left behind three copies.
Any chance you can post the DCPI on Walking Dead Season 2?

Brock you said they indicated they were from LA but one was wearing a UGA sweatshirt and that is local, so did you mean LA as in Louisiana or LA as in Los Angeles?

That iPad scenario just reeks of foul play. I get a bad vibe just from the picture of the guy. Even weirder the manager didn't stop it in some way. Hopefully nobody innocent loses their job over this. I just can't fathom anybody buying that many i devices and iTunes cards. I mean really that's just crazy!

You've got a picture of the guy and what he's buying, as well as the payment he used. Report him to the police. It's obvious he was doing some kind of fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:
During the MM N3DS launch didn't some Targets throw out rain checks/discounts for those who didn't get the LE?

Regardless, good job stepping up and documenting that.

Let's not assume he is automatically doing something shady.

1. He could resell for a living and make enough to pay for all that.

2. You have no idea if he paid with debit or credit.

3. Multiple receipts is common practice for reselling if something doesn't sell or the market comes down. May be Apple products but you never know.

4. We aren't sure if he was even able to buy all under 1 receipt due to them being rainchecks.

5. If a manager was involved, it's probably more than likely that everything checked out. Looks like a manager was called over to do the transaction and he (most likely) wouldn't have done it if it wasn't legit.

Don't think I'm defending him though. I just rather see more proof beyond him buying a lot of a product, maybe not being from the area, and the way he looks.

There are limits to how many items can appear on a receipt too (in the POS)...Maybe these are the fabled guys from California.

Legit resellers have tax id paperwork that would have to be entered at the beginning of every transaction (at least that is how it works at other retailers).

Do all of those cards have to be activated manually/swiped? That would be a PITA.

People can say what they want about imposing limits, but there is nor reason to pull more cards from the backroom. Those will take weeks to replenish. Taking "outs" in a retail environment is a bad thing, especially when you don't have a restock in the supply chain. He made 2 customers happy, but there will be 1,000s that are upset when they can't get card for weeks at that store.

(This is all opinion BTW.)

"Legit" can be used in many ways. There are people who do reselling as a career and don't have any paperwork to buy from a retailer since it isn't really needed to buy large quantities. Some stores (usually only Target) will actually enforce a limit but most stores could care less since they are meeting their sales goals.

Though people will be upset, not to the point that they are mad, probably just disappointed. You can get iTunes gift cards anywhere. Anyone that wanted one and couldn't get it would simply go to BB or Walmart to get it there.

I asked my BiL who works at target and he said the guy definitely looks like a reseller. Apparently, they store is not supposed to accept that many rainchecks and could get in trouble for it. The team member number is tied to every raincheck so corporate would know who processed them.

He also said some of these resellers sell overseas. They ship the stuff to the boss in Florida who takes care of the rest.

In that first picture does the guy have a chair pulled up behind him?  So not only did he bring up $10,000 worth of itunes cards and other merch, but he also chillaxed in a chair while the manager rang up multiple 'transactions'.  Did he grab a six pack from the cooler and crack a few while waiting?  LOL

No doubt there is something going on there that is shady.  Funny how that manager didn't even seen to care what was going on. Meanwhile I have a Jr. Detective type at my local store who takes joy in shutting down stuff like stacking Cartwheel deals with price matches.  :beer:

It's not so much the reselling or even the clearing out the entire store's inventory, it's the SKETCHY USE OF RAINCHECKS moreso than anything.  Electronics particularly videogame consoles and ipads are specifically excluded from raincheck substitions per Target's own policy - hell, I'm pretty sure that any time Target has had just about any deal on iPads/Apple products in general and hot new consoles advertised or otherwise, they specifically state no rainchecks as well as often times explicitly stated limits usually 1 per customer.  And even if they didn't, Apple products and iTunes are explicitly listed as items that can't be used for substitution (and the system will not allow it unless the DPCI matches the Raincheck item):

The disclaimer specifically states substitutions can't be used on music, movies, software, tablets, game systems, notebooks, Apple products, all gift cards (iTunes, phone cards, etc.):  

From my Lego Hulkbuster set Raincheck, which is indeed out of stock (as it is at most locations), verbatim:

"We apologize for being out-of-stock on the item you were looking for.  Here are some options for you to consider.

PRICE RAIN CHECK - Use this (until the date below) to get the sale price at any Target store. Sorry, can't be used at Target.com 05/15/15

ITEM # 204001035 $23.99

ITEM DESCRIPTION:

BUILDING SET SH AVENGERS 3 76031

Reg. $29.99 @ 21% off

Requested QTY 1 @ $23.99 each

-------------------------------

CHOOSE A SUBSTITUTE - Get the same % off on a similar, regular priced item. Exclusions apply. Can't be used on music, movies, software, tablets, game systems, notebooks, Apple products, all gift cards (iTunes, phone cards, etc.).

--------------------------------

AVAILABLE AT ANOTHER STORE? We searched area stores showing inventory. The stores listed below MAY have sufficient inventory available.Inventory levels do change quickly and may be inaccurate. Please call the store to verify.

----END---

BTW, for items that are disqualified from substitution - videogames on sale, console deals, iPads, movies etc. the "CHOOSE A SUBSTITUTE" section is missing on the Raincheck because the item does not qualify.  And, if you attempt to use it in such fashion, the system will indicate "RAIN CHECK ITEM NOT FOUND - NO SUBSTITUTES ALLOWED"  It MUST be the exact DPCI in those situations.  This stems mainly from the huge exploit from over a decade ago when a PC game sale was allowing substitutions on virtually any game at 67-71% off.

Having a pile of a dozen plus iPads (every single one in stock at that location) and all N3DS and having them discounted via rainchecks like that is absurd given the rarity or nonexistence of sales on said items.  Nigh limitless 60% off google play and iTunes gift cards via raincheck substitutions?  Explicitly excluded.  

How can you even get such "no limit" rainchecks?  They ask for the quantity I'd like and I will say 2 or 3 at most, do these guys just say "what's the most I can get?"  "99"?  "99999999999"???

Saw the strangest thing at guest service last night. Was picking up an online order and saw three guys with carts full of iTunes and Google Play gift cards. They scoured the entire store and more were brought out from the stock room. At the counter were stacked iPads and Nintendo 3ds XLs. I was stuck waiting there and these guys were clearly uncomfortable with my interest in what they were doing but the manager was trucking away ringing them up. They had several printed rainchecks laid out. I took a glance at some of the receipt prices, $10 for $25 iTunes cards and iPad Air 2's for $305! I don't recall ever seeing these prices advertised and was trying to figure out how they were coming to these discounts. I was floored the manager was not enforcing limits but apparently the rainchecks had no limit! Check out the scene!
b6f446ba629a5bb1a5d1f34cbcfc4727.jpg
c8450d652cd861faa2aea9f37a8c4a3b.jpg

I was trying to return/repurchase my online order to get a cartwheel offer and this same manager offered me a gift card for the refund I was waiting for instead. I was supposed to get $13 and change but he rounded it up to $20!

Curious what you guys think about this! When were those prices available? We're they from the black Friday gift card combo purchases?
From the angel the guy buying all itunes gc, new 3dsxl and apple ipads he look alot like the manager. possible they both brother, cousin or relative. that's huge target scam!

It's not so much the reselling or even the clearing out the entire store's inventory, it's the SKETCHY USE OF RAINCHECKS moreso than anything. Electronics particularly videogame consoles and ipads are specifically excluded from raincheck substitions per Target's own policy - hell, I'm pretty sure that any time Target has had just about any deal on iPads/Apple products in general and hot new consoles advertised or otherwise, they specifically state no rainchecks as well as often times explicitly stated limits usually 1 per customer.

Having a pile of a dozen plus iPads (every single one in stock at that location) and all N3DS and having them discounted via rainchecks like that is absurd given the rarity or nonexistence of sales on said items. Nigh limitless 60% off google play and iTunes gift cards via raincheck substitutions?

How can you even get such "no limit" rainchecks? They ask for the quantity I'd like and I will say 2 or 3 at most, do these guys just say "what's the most I can get?" "99"? "99999999999"???
I thought the quantity limit was 5 in target's system for a raincheck, but I could be wrong.

There are also two target GCs upside down next to the register and one on top of the register keyboard. I wonder if they are paying with them or getting them back...

Its hard for me to reply to all the different posts but if you want to send me messages I'll reply to specific inquiries.

There was definitely no collusion here. These guys were from Los Angeles. The one wearing the UGA hoodie was attempting to blend in poorly or bought it on clearance since he didn't pack a jacket and it was unusually cold here.

There were gift cards involved now that I recall and it's possible they were getting those with the iPad purchases and the 305 for iPad air is the non gift card amount of the promotion.

The buyer was helping the manager ring them out and was shuffling the cards to be scanned. The manager was simply allowing whatever the register accepted and was interested in the sales and didn't care about any wrongdoing that might be going down.

I stopped in the store the next night to pick something up and saw the same girl in the picture and she told me that when she originally rang the first rain check she thought there was a mistake and called the manager over. She told me any value iTunes gift card was ringing up for $10, even the $100 value! I suggested she report it to corporate, not to get the manager in trouble but to report that raincheck abuse by these guys.

No new drops in Davie, Lauderhill and Plantation FL. I've been on a hunt for a Vita memory card. Been using the same 4gb since launch day.

I picked up Wolfenstein PS4 for 12 bucks, first Target clearance pickup in months for me. Now I realize I might have to go back to get in on the Buy one Get on 50% off deal.

She told me any value iTunes gift card was ringing up for $10, even the $100 value! I suggested she report it to corporate, not to get the manager in trouble but to report that raincheck abuse by these guys.
idk, that doesn't sound quite right. If that was the case it would have been reported on SD or CAG or the news. iTunes gift cards for $10 that have $100 credit would not go unnoticed anywhere. Even at that, no manager would even allow that to happen (assuming she isn't lying). idk, I don't believe that.

Well, it's some sort of exploit with rain checks. This was her statement but I know I saw $25 and $50 value iTunes cards there. The details don't really matter, these guys figured something out that works if a manager is willing to let it fly. I really just want to know what the original deal they converted to a raincheck was.

Yeah I understand but you nor her (by the looks of it) doesn't actually know what is going on. Seems like he did multiple rainchecks and used the similar item clause... actually, maybe he did originally have a raincheck on a $10 for a $25 gift card and used it on on $100 gift cards. If that manager actually let that fly (regardless of the register allowing it) than he is probably going to get fired especially for such a large amount.

Actually, we do. If you scan a raincheck, it searches for qualifying items and applies the discount. I saw the $10 price on the receipts for $25 cards as I mentioned in the original post. The girl mentioned the $100 thing but I didn't ask her more detail. As others have mentioned, unless stated in an ad, there are no limits other than managerial or over zealous team member discretion.

I don't know anything about target corporate policy on quantity limits of rainchecks but the manager mentioned to me there was no limit while I was waiting. I couldn't say if he would get fired. Their system took it so he's got that in his defense.

iPad Air 2s start at $499.00 for the 16GB and go up from there as per Target.com and will go on sale for $50-100 off at best (or more often the case an MSRP + GC deal)...so does anyone still not think there is something seriously wrong with these guys having some sort of "magic" Target Rainchecks that brought them down to $305 each...and with them having enough said Rainchecks to clean out the store's entire inventory of them, and being allowed to do so?

What about endless Rainchecks allowing them to clean out the store's entire inventory of iTunes and Google Play cards for $10 each, whether the cards were good for $25, $50, or even $100?  Anyone here still not have a problem with that or think that's legit?  

Definitely not legit, an exploit of the target register system.

It just occurred to me, remember the game systems that were half off earlier this year? There's an example of a huge discount that someone might have figured out a way to create a raincheck for.

Definitely not legit, an exploit of the target register system. It just occurred to me, remember the game systems that were half off earlier this year? There's an example of a huge discount that someone might have figured out a way to create a raincheck for.
It's possible, but on Rainchecks that have substitutions, it specifically states that game systems are excluded:
"Can't be used on music, movies, software, tablets, game systems, notebooks, Apple products, all gift cards (iTunes, phone cards, etc.)" and from my experience, Rainchecks for these items and others, mainly by department particularly electronics, are coded to ONLY work on the exact DPCI it was created for. This was the fallout from the last huge Raincheck substitution exploit back in 2004. Hell, if the discount is substantial enough, it might be that any Raincheck request will disable the substitution ability, or require a manager override to issue (sort of like how a significant enough % off or $ value off on a pricematch or adjustment requires a manager override).

Basically *any* Raincheck created that does not automatically have the "CHOOSE A SUBSTITUTE" option/section, should be coded to only work for the item DPCI it was created for (and for the quantity listed). And none of the items explicitly listed such as consoles should ever generate a Raincheck that shows the "CHOOSE A SUBSTITUTE" section, or work on anything but the DPCI listed.

Today at lunch to test this, I went to the nearby Target and had the clerk in electronics print me a Raincheck for one each of the $14.99 3DS games as well as the $13 bluray Hobbit Battle of 5 Armies. Neither had the "CHOOSE A SUBSTITUTE" section, and just to test it I tried the Hobbit Raincheck against the Target Exclusive version as well as the Hobbit trilogy which are probably the closest things to similar substitution IMO as well as a pair of 1st party 3DS games that weren't on sale (I specifically told the electronics lead what I wanted to test beforehand and that I was not looking to rip them off), and he tested the Rainchecks out against these items. Each and every time the register stopped the Raincheck as it should, with a warning message "NO RAINCHECK ITEM FOUND - NO SUBSTITUTE AVAILABLE".

EDIT: Apologies for taking the Target clearance thread off-topic with this, but I'd be damn skippy to be legitimately scoring iTunes cards at 60%, 80%, or 90% off along with vastly discounted iPads etc. Key word being "legitimately".

They probably found some way to hack the Target POS and change the prices to what they wanted. No way anyone can get a $25+ iTunes gift card for $10 or an iPad Air for $305. They played the system.

They probably found some way to hack the Target POS and change the prices to what they wanted. No way anyone can get a $25+ iTunes gift card for $10 or an iPad Air for $305. They played the system.
If that's the case, unless they used stolen credit card numbers to buy everything, the popo will get them sooner or later. And if they used stolen CC numbers that's even deeper shit they will be in. Even if they had paid with cash, since they decided to "go big", they're undoubtedly on film for close to an hour if not more with all the running through the store and the transaction after transaction after transaction in the guest services area. Best part is the monitor up in the corner showing what's being recorded by just one of the many cameras in the section.

EDIT: and fuck the $25 iTunes for $10, I want the $100 ones for $10!

Ok, this is getting a bit farfetched. How would they even "hack" their system much less have a manager do it and ask no questions?

I honestly don't believe any of those cards were $100 gift cards. They probably just went in on a previous $10 for $25 gift card deal and bought out stock.

I picked up Wolfenstein PS4 for 12 bucks, first Target clearance pickup in months for me. Now I realize I might have to go back to get in on the Buy one Get on 50% off deal.
For some imbecilic reason my local target is still charging $20 for it while the one 25mi away has it at $12. It isn't worth the trip though as the gas alone would cost nearly the difference.

Double post... dumb quick replies not updating... *grumble*

For some imbecilic reason my local target is still charging $20 for it while the one 25mi away has it at $12. It isn't worth the trip though as the gas alone would cost nearly the difference.
Same...I think when I last checked, only a single store within 50 miles of me had it at 70% off (and indicated something absurd like 40+ in stock), all other locations are at 50% off. Of course the one at 70% is something like 30 or 40 miles away.

Lucked out on some 70% off Vita games.

Unit 13 $4.48. 207-20-0075
Soul Sacrifice $5.98. 207-20-0105
Gravity Crush $4.48. 207-20-0039
Resistance Burning Skies $4.48. 207-20-0034

How were you able to see how much each store is selling it for? I have a couple Targets around me but really don't want to go to each one after work if there's a better way.

Checked the games today, some dropped 70% others stayed 50%. I got myself :360: Metro Last Light LE $5.98 and :360: Midway Arcade Origins $5.98. Really cool part is that the Buy 1 get 1 50% off sale applied on the clearance games! Got both for $9.78!

Ugh.  Still $19.98 for Wolfenstein at all stores not 60 miles away.

The closest store still has a copy of Modern Warfare 2 for 39.99 ;)

Their end cap could use a serious wave of clearance tags at 80%

Was at a Target yesterday that had a stack of PS4 Wolfenstein for $11.98 locked up with the regular games which I thought was weird. Every other Target just throws them on an end cap with other coearance crap. I ask the electronics lady if I could get a couple copies please. "Sorry, we limit people to one game per person, ESPECIALLY clearance." I've only ever had that said to me by this one lady. I've bought multiples from the same store with no issues before.
It's good to know Target game nazis are out there, protecting the games corporate has decided they just want gone from actually being gone. I thought about going back with my chick and clearing them out later, just to make the point that her socialism was no match for my capitalism. But instead I went to the Target 15 minutes away and got a couple from there.

What does it mean when brick seek says a store has like 5 copies of something, but the estimated price is N/A?  And when the saleable quantity is lower than the quantity on hand, does that mean it's on hold?

What does it mean when brick seek says a store has like 5 copies of something, but the estimated price is N/A? And when the saleable quantity is lower than the quantity on hand, does that mean it's on hold?
I believe N/A means it's not in their system, but I could be wrong on that one. In my experience, Brickseek said one of my local stores had Wolfenstein PS4 listed as 1 "saleable" and 2 "on hand" at $11.98. When I went in, I only found one copy and it wasn't labeled clearance and it rang up as $27.98. The associate said it must have been missed by the clearance team and adjusted the price at the register. They also mentioned that they sold one earlier in the day. Today Brickseek lists 0 available, so maybe it updates once a day with "on hand" amounts and every sale counts against the "saleable" count?

I believe N/A means it's not in their system, but I could be wrong on that one. In my experience, Brickseek said one of my local stores had Wolfenstein PS4 listed as 1 "saleable" and 2 "on hand" at $11.98. When I went in, I only found one copy and it wasn't labeled clearance and it rang up as $27.98. The associate said it must have been missed by the clearance team and adjusted the price at the register. They also mentioned that they sold one earlier in the day. Today Brickseek lists 0 available, so maybe it updates once a day with "on hand" amounts and every sale counts against the "saleable" count?
I don't know. Some stores show inventory and say N/A, some stores show no inventory with full price, and 1 or 2 stores show 1 or 2 on hand with a full price price.

They're actually supposed to honor brickseek site?

bread's done
Back