Target Clearance Thread XXII

Some deals i still saw in my local Targets. Not games but hard drives and networking.
IMG_4001.JPG
Seagate 3tb desktop hard drive. $69.98 (reg $99.99) 056-02-0310
IMG_3999.JPG
WD 3tb My Book desktop Hard Drive $69.98 (reg $99.99) 056-02-0028
IMG_3993.JPG
Arris surfboard modem and wifi router. $104.98 (reg $149.99) 056-02-0126
IMG_3998.JPG
WD My Passport Ultra 3TB Portable HD $76.98 (reg. $109.99) 056-02-0204

Back in the day i believe the year was 95-96 when the earthworm jim action figures came out . I would peel off a clearance sticker from an item that was priced at $4 or so and slap it on the action figure.Walk up to the register and lady would scan and say its not supposed to be clearanced i replied with "well that's how i found it in the section and you can go check" lady would fold like at a bad poker game and give me clearance price.It worked every time!
also, this is a popular scam at target and they will watch you when you do this, wait til the value hits a felony level and call the police the next time you walk into the store.

also, this is a popular scam at target and they will watch you when you do this, wait til the value hits a felony level and call the police the next time you walk into the store.
I would suppose some people have attempted that at a professional thievery level. They have cameras everywhere and can easily find the person attaching the stickers if they wanted to. I bought something once that had a clearance tag but it came up regular price. The clerk checked it to make sure the dpci matched before they gave it to me at that price though. Might have been a return from another store that clearanced it or something.

Incidentally, I just saw some young teen girl who was casually talking on a phone leaving the store, only to be stopped right at the door by a guard waiting outside out of view and another security guy from the inside who must have been following her on camera commit some type of theft. As they walked her back to the security room, I only heard her say, "can't I just put it back and leave?" and they said "You are under arrest now." Feel sorry for any kid getting arrested, but what was she thinking would happen? Stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Target considered to be one of the most efficient retailers when it comes to catching shoplifters/etc? Like, they just let it happen a bit, build a case, and then when you walk into a store it's game over?

I remember reading an article to that effect.

South West Target :|

I swear that 2222 store has all the clearance.
That store was my saving grace a couple years or so ago during their big Vita clearance. Games were pretty much picked through at every store in the Austin area and I drove out there and managed to snag a copy of almost every game that was on clearance. It's a rich people's Target, I guess whether something is on clearance or not holds little significance to them.

Back in the day i believe the year was 95-96 when the earthworm jim action figures came out . I would peel off a clearance sticker from an item that was priced at $4 or so and slap it on the action figure.Walk up to the register and lady would scan and say its not supposed to be clearanced i replied with "well that's how i found it in the section and you can go check" lady would fold like at a bad poker game and give me clearance price.It worked every time!
Congrats!, you're a thief.

The average person doesn't have the right to detain someone, even with probable cause, in most states. Citizen's arrest only applies to felonies witnessed in person and/or misdemeanors that are considered to be disturbing the peace. In other words, John Doe can forcibly detain someone who assaults grandma but can't do the same to a guy standing on a corner smoking pot, even though they are both misdemeanor C charges.

Most states have weird merchant laws and clauses though which allow security and loss prevention or any other store owner or representative to forcibly detain people that they know stole something through probable cause. It's hard to say how they would have reacted though if that girl had resisted their attempt to detain her outside of that Target. I've heard most Walmarts simply let people run and avoid the risk to their employees, relying on surveillance footage and witness statements to try to build a case. I have heard that Target has a far more aggressive loss prevention unit that will watch people on video the entire time they are in a store in order to ensure they have the evidence they will need, which also allows them to act on it with full confidence that you stole something as opposed to bluffing or just having a fleeting suspicion.     

The average person doesn't have the right to detain someone, even with probable cause, in most states. Citizen's arrest only applies to felonies witnessed in person and/or misdemeanors that are considered to be disturbing the peace. In other words, John Doe can forcibly detain someone who assaults grandma but can't do the same to a guy standing on a corner smoking pot, even though they are both misdemeanor C charges.

Most states have weird merchant laws and clauses though which allow security and loss prevention or any other store owner or representative to forcibly detain people that they know stole something through probable cause. It's hard to say how they would have reacted though if that girl had resisted their attempt to detain her outside of that Target. I've heard most Walmarts simply let people run and avoid the risk to their employees, relying on surveillance footage and witness statements to try to build a case. I have heard that Target has a far more aggressive loss prevention unit that will watch people on video the entire time they are in a store in order to ensure they have the evidence they will need, which also allows them to act on it with full confidence that you stole something as opposed to bluffing or just having a fleeting suspicion.
Friend of mine was LP for Target for a bit, they have to see conclusively that someone stole something. People find blindspots though, it's amazing how much work someone will do to avoid working.

At Best Buy you can walk out the front door with a big screen TV and they can't /won't do anything to stop you.  At least not in my state.  It's company policy to not detain or apprehend anyone.  Probably due to lawsuits.  They actively teach this to all their employees during training.

It's the same at most other retailers too.  You can just walk out with whatever.  They'll follow you, get your license plate, etc, but they won't stop you. 

It's interesting.  It doesn't legitimize stealing though either. 

Picked up at my local Target. Thanks for giving the heads up on these!

:xb1:

Geometry Wars Evolved $3.04

Sunset Overdrive $4.54

Ryse Legendary $4.54

Dishonored DE $5.98

What is up with the >70% clearance some are seeing?  It seemed like they wouldn't go lower than 50% for the last year and now all of a sudden BOOM. 

What is up with the >70% clearance some are seeing? It seemed like they wouldn't go lower than 50% for the last year and now all of a sudden BOOM.
nah, 70% still happen pretty frequently, except around Christmas and New Year where everything stopped at 50% (tax writeoff maybe), 80-90% a rare occurence near me though.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Literally all of the clearance games that had been at my store were gone yesterday. The clearance tags in the aisle were still there, but there were no clearance games left.

Dunno if flippers, salvage, or what. Oh well. I got Batman last time, and they weren't likely to magically get some clearance Rory in.

There use to be a Target on I-35 and William Cannon and I was in there trying to return a Action Replay back in the day. All of a sudden I see a security guard in a black shirt (before the tech department existed) run out of the office and chased down a guy. I have seen cops at the Walmart in Southpark at least twice a month. A co-worker use to work security at the Walmart on Ben White and he said people would be stealing all the time.

Literally all of the clearance games that had been at my store were gone yesterday. The clearance tags in the aisle were still there, but there were no clearance games left.

Dunno if flippers, salvage, or what. Oh well. I got Batman last time, and they weren't likely to magically get some clearance Rory in.
There were a lot of flips to GS last weekend (a specially the Rory PGA) , that is why your clearance section is empty.

Didn't find anything good today. I did grab a Midnight Mint Mocha frappachino though, mmmmmmmmm

Anyone think spring clearance this year has been worse than previous years?

Didn't find anything good today. I did grab a Midnight Mint Mocha frappachino though, mmmmmmmmm

Anyone think spring clearance this year has been worse than previous years?
I think it has been but at least the two in my area still have a few things. But nothing from last week had a lower price

They still have 1,464 :XB1: Rory PGA in stock at stores and 234 split between 3 different warehouses. :pS4: is OOS.

Thought all the discounted games were bought (marked down games were missing) then found a clearance section away from electrics section that had some, but nothing that interested me. Next time I'll record what was found and share here.

I would suppose some people have attempted that at a professional thievery level. They have cameras everywhere and can easily find the person attaching the stickers if they wanted to. I bought something once that had a clearance tag but it came up regular price. The clerk checked it to make sure the dpci matched before they gave it to me at that price though. Might have been a return from another store that clearanced it or something.

Incidentally, I just saw some young teen girl who was casually talking on a phone leaving the store, only to be stopped right at the door by a guard waiting outside out of view and another security guy from the inside who must have been following her on camera commit some type of theft. As they walked her back to the security room, I only heard her say, "can't I just put it back and leave?" and they said "You are under arrest now." Feel sorry for any kid getting arrested, but what was she thinking would happen? Stupid.
My stepdad had something huge and walked right out of the store. Employee even told him to have a great day. He realized when he got to the car that he didn't pay, so he went back inside and paid.

I saw a ps4 rory in stock today for $20.
Hmmm good to know maybe it's because the DPCI was pulled in store and it's supposed to be salvaged? I bought the last 2 MGSV :360: at my local store tonight and before when I scanned it at the price checker it couldn't find them. I just ran a query for it's DPCI and it comes up the same as :pS4: Rory where it says 0 everywhere and OOS.

Blackbeard are you able to see which particular stores actually show an item in stock across the entire chain, or just the total inventory counts for a particular DPCI across all stores?  Would love to be able to see which stores beyond the measly 25 mile brickseek coverage area have a particular item in stock, the way fyndly used to do up to a 100 mile radius.

My Target rarely has any games on clearance. All I seen last time was a pile of Sunset Overdrive marked at $9.xx each and some PSVR games.

Blackbeard are you able to see which particular stores actually show an item in stock across the entire chain, or just the total inventory counts for a particular DPCI across all stores? Would love to be able to see which stores beyond the measly 25 mile brickseek coverage area have a particular item in stock, the way fyndly used to do up to a 100 mile radius.
Yes it will require a lot more coding but that is totally doable.

Isn't Target considered to be one of the most efficient retailers when it comes to catching shoplifters/etc? Like, they just let it happen a bit, build a case, and then when you walk into a store it's game over?

I remember reading an article to that effect.
When I worked there 16 or so years ago it was crazy. They could use a picture to bring up your account and it would show the receipts for your last purchases and the pictures from every time you checked out and came in the store and even payment methods(credit/debit/cash, not actually information). they had crazy lofty goals to be able to make a map of where in the store you spent the most time and what your shopping pattern was, though alot of that was for advertising targeting (the coupons that print out at checkout).

They were also talking about full facial recognition of everyone that walked in the stores, for the repeat offenders, but yeah they would build the case and then the next time you stole something they would be on the floor to witness it that way their target security guard could detain you and they'd throw the whole thing at you. i dont even want to think about what they could be doing now.

Though I did hear a story about a guy that sued claiming he fell in the liquor section of the store and they threw all this purchase history at him in court basically saying he was a drunk and was inebriated at the time. I never heard much else about it though

Blackbeard are you able to see which particular stores actually show an item in stock across the entire chain, or just the total inventory counts for a particular DPCI across all stores? Would love to be able to see which stores beyond the measly 25 mile brickseek coverage area have a particular item in stock, the way fyndly used to do up to a 100 mile radius.
I miss fyndly - I never heard what actually happened to it. Does anybody know?

I also really like how they use to show the clearance deals and had decent luck finding the deals in my Targets.

Brickseek shows that a Target not too far away from me has 2 Xbox One S Halo Comp bundles in stock. I went last week but I had no luck finding one. I did find a Rory and a Telltale Batman that helped me flip for enough credit to get the Minecraft bundle at GS.

It's been a few years since I've used this thread to look for clearance games at Target. Video game clearance dried up for a while so I stopped paying attention to this thread (actually, I quit CAG for a couple of years). I would blindly check for games if I happened to go to Target but I never found anything good.

I sure wish I had brickseek back then, though. It would've saved me a lot of time and gas.

All this talk about target catching people steal, do they catch people who hide stuff?

If they do, what they usually pin you for?

I thought about hiding these adorable Minecraft pillows shaped like mobs until next pay, but didn't. Found a hidden creeper though a few isles over and returned him to proper area

Employees hide stuff so why can't customers?

There is a very significant difference between stealing an item (not paying) and putting it on hideaway (paying for item).
Depends on why a person is hiding it. If person A hides a $15 item until it gets lowered to $5 when person B would gladly​ pay $15 at an earlier date, but cannot find it, the store is losing $10

All this talk about target catching people steal, do they catch people who hide stuff?

If they do, what they usually pin you for?
Nothing. We find the product put it back where it belongs. We let AP so they can be aware cause sometimes people hide product cause they might try to steal it later. Team members who have encountered that person will recognize them later and pay closer attention to them.

Any deets?
Xbox One version, not in games/electronics section, but with other sale games at the end of an isle.

Sticker said about $10, but had another sticker peeled up so I couldn't see the price (in plastic case). Price scanner said item not found, so I brought it up front. Cashier scanned it and he had to input price. He unpeeled the sticker an saw $5.78 (or something like that). He wanted to make the price an even $6 with tax so he entered a lower price

Saw Cabela (X1) game for $11 (I'd buy for $5), Mighty Number 9 (X1) for $6, Battleborn (PS4) for $5, and a few others.

Don't have a PS4, so I didn't really look at them, but I will when I go back tonight.

Stopped at a remote Target that had a bunch of PS4 games that were no longer in the system, but they sold to me at the last clearance price. Rory, Mirrors Edge, 7 Days to Die, One Piece Burning, PVZ2, TMNT, and a few other of the usuals. Employee told me to get what I wanted because they will be gone tomorrow.

Stopped at a remote Target that had a bunch of PS4 games that were no longer in the system, but they sold to me at the last clearance price. Rory, Mirrors Edge, 7 Days to Die, One Piece Burning, PVZ2, TMNT, and a few other of the usuals. Employee told me to get what I wanted because they will be gone tomorrow.
Last price that was one the sticker or were they not tagged>? I had Burning Blood, Naruto and Battleborn all item not found but they had old clearance tags of $14.98 on them... Couldn't find a red Shirt so I just put them back because I didnt want to hold up a register with a problem

Not clearance, but I found a brand new sealed original black Nintendo DSi behind the glass. Box has a few knicks on it but looks fresh enough like it just came off the truck. Rang up $99.99.  Garbage or lost treasure?

I think we now know why they are having trouble keeping stock of switch, new 3DS, and nes classics.  They are bringing back the DSi!!!!

Not clearance, but I found a brand new sealed original black Nintendo DSi behind the glass. Box has a few knicks on it but looks fresh enough like it just came off the truck. Rang up $99.99. Garbage or lost treasure?

I think we now know why they are having trouble keeping stock of switch, new 3DS, and nes classics. They are bringing back the DSi!!!!
That is pretty weird to be able to find one but for the price it's a bit high for me. My Target still has a few of the PS Vita TV for $79.99 when most other Target put them on clearance $23.99 a while back. No wonder they don't sell, they are still full price. My Target must be very stingy and every time I go to a different Target, I see better stuff including a few Switch.

Not clearance, but I found a brand new sealed original black Nintendo DSi behind the glass. Box has a few knicks on it but looks fresh enough like it just came off the truck. Rang up $99.99. Garbage or lost treasure?

I think we now know why they are having trouble keeping stock of switch, new 3DS, and nes classics. They are bringing back the DSi!!!!
What the...lol I also found one today at my loca target. You in NorCal?

I did this once at Target for a wrestling figure when I was 7 that had a clearance tag of $3.99 and it was one of those figures that would cost around $25 at the time.

I fucked up the tag enough where it was ripped at the one corner I was picking at and the cashier noticed it immediately. But instead of putting it away and saying no go, she gave me a quick lecture saying how it is illegal to do such a thing but gave me a proposition I couldn't deny. She would give me the toy at the clearance price if I promised not to do it ever again. Anyone at that age would easily say yes and I kept my promise. Thanks Sarah.

The moral of the story is doing it is wrong mkay

They still have 1,464 :xb1: Rory PGA in stock at stores and 234 split between 3 different warehouses. :ps4: is OOS.
o wow, being able to see warehouse inventory o_O that's pretty awesome lolol

When I worked there 16 or so years ago it was crazy. They could use a picture to bring up your account and it would show the receipts for your last purchases and the pictures from every time you checked out and came in the store and even payment methods(credit/debit/cash, not actually information). they had crazy lofty goals to be able to make a map of where in the store you spent the most time and what your shopping pattern was, though alot of that was for advertising targeting (the coupons that print out at checkout).

They were also talking about full facial recognition of everyone that walked in the stores, for the repeat offenders, but yeah they would build the case and then the next time you stole something they would be on the floor to witness it that way their target security guard could detain you and they'd throw the whole thing at you. i dont even want to think about what they could be doing now.

Though I did hear a story about a guy that sued claiming he fell in the liquor section of the store and they threw all this purchase history at him in court basically saying he was a drunk and was inebriated at the time. I never heard much else about it though
O.O that's pretty creepy lol yikes! where we spent the most time in the store?? geez! lol

bread's done
Back