Target Clearance Thread XXIV

I also got the 'make a $60 purchase and get $10 back' reward and used it to buy exactly $60 worth of Nintendo eShop gift cards (for $57 after extra 5% off for Redcard). In the terms in conditions for the offer it does state the qualifying purchase threshold is calculated before any coupons or special discounts so it triggered no problem. That's basically like getting eShop credit at 20% off..... so not bad.
I only got the $30 purchase, get $5 back. The problem was that I couldn't make a single $30 purchase but it was separated among two purchases.

I thought that the spend x to get y credit amount promos didn't work for most gift cards. Did they change the conditions?
I think they do not work if you want to buy a Target gift card. I usually load up on Hulu gift cards and those always work for this promo. I also have purchased a PS gift card which also worked.

This morning, I was able to get the 5% off storewide Circle offer to stack with the get the $10 credit with the purchase of $80 Circle offer to stack, but there were several exclusions on the $10 credit offer.  For instance, Nintendo Switch software wasn't eligible, and there weren't any clearance PS4 or Xbox games on the shelf.

So, I bought two $25 Subway cards (I eat lunch there several times each week), a $15 Xbox card, and a bunch of clearance toys including a G.I.Joe: Classified figure, a Marvel Legends figure, and several Marvel Mech Strike Monster Hunters figures to get the deals.

I forgot about the 20% off books and movie Circle offer, but I have $10 more to spend now, so I might get something else before it ends tonight.

I thought that the spend x to get y credit amount promos didn't work for most gift cards. Did they change the conditions?
I don't know about before but I looked through the terms & conditions for this Target Circle bonus offer and it states that only Target store gift cards and Visa/Mastercard/American Express gift cards and the like are excluded. Doesn't mention other third-party gift cards.

Qualifying purchases exclude alcohol, Target GiftCards, Visa, American Express and Mastercard gift cards/prepaid cards, CVS pharmacy, clinic, and Target Optical. See the Target Circle program rules for complete list of excluded items. Restrictions apply. See terms & conditions below.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice. One of the previous targeted bonus offers wouldn't work with eshop psn or Xbox cards thst i had. So I passed on the deal entirely.

I was able to do a return and rebuy at customer service then had them scan my Target Circle barcode so I could get my $5 off $30 purchase. Before this I had 2 separate purchases below $30 since I had to visit separate stores to find these clearance games.

I'm new to these Target Circle deals expecting to just take $5 off my purchase but see that the $5 went to my Circle Rewards. So how do you get to spend the Rewards you earn?

I was able to do a return and rebuy at customer service then had them scan my Target Circle barcode so I could get my $5 off $30 purchase. Before this I had 2 separate purchases below $30 since I had to visit separate stores to find these clearance games.

I'm new to these Target Circle deals expecting to just take $5 off my purchase but see that the $5 went to my Circle Rewards. So how do you get to spend the Rewards you earn?
On the "place your order" screen, it'll ask you if you want to use your Circle earnings. If you use the Target app to make your purchase at the store, you can turn it on in the wallet. If it's not on, I believe it will ask if you want to use it during the checkout process.

On the "place your order" screen, it'll ask you if you want to use your Circle earnings. If you use the Target app to make your purchase at the store, you can turn it on in the wallet. If it's not on, I believe it will ask if you want to use it during the checkout process.
Thanks. I'll try to use it the next time I shop at Target.

Thanks. I'll try to use it the next time I shop at Target.
Iirc if you don't have the app, or don't have your phone on you, you can enter in your phone number at the card reader screen while checking out to use your circle account as well unless that has changed. But you need to enable spending rewards from the wallet beforehand as it will not have the prompt via that method.

Went to 2 different Targets and both stores had like 5 titles in the case for PS5 total. Wtf is going on with restocks lately?? All the game cases seem pretty empty except Switch. So yeah I'm interested in trading for Tactics Ogre & Star Ocean too.

Went to 2 different Targets and both stores had like 5 titles in the case for PS5 total. Wtf is going on with restocks lately?? All the game cases seem pretty empty except Switch. So yeah I'm interested in trading for Tactics Ogre & Star Ocean too.
Have Target stores ever done restocks? I've always thought that they sold through their initial shipments and then clearanced out any games that they couldn't sell within a certain period of time.

My Target has next to nothing for PS or XB. One day they had a lot of titles, and the next I guess they shipped them back? Because they definitely didn't sell all those Madden 23 or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle copies. There are a lot more Switch games in stock. However, there's one full section and one empty section. It looks sad.

Welcome back! I've been talking about this for months now, since the new year. target hasn't restocked the games section since then.

Have Target stores ever done restocks? I've always thought that they sold through their initial shipments and then clearanced out any games that they couldn't sell within a certain period of time.
That may be the case here. Is there truly nothing 'new' though right now in the console world, which would cause empty shelves?

Iirc if you don't have the app, or don't have your phone on you, you can enter in your phone number at the card reader screen while checking out to use your circle account as well unless that has changed. But you need to enable spending rewards from the wallet beforehand as it will not have the prompt via that method.
Thanks. I see you can switch on Target Circle Rewards so I did. Kind of confused why anyone would have it set off which seems to be the default.

I visited the biggest Target in my area hoping to find a clearance game or two but found the PS5 area wiped out while Xbox and Switch games seem to be more plentiful. Still trying to find Star Ocean. Too bad the previous store I went to had one last copy but it wasn't marked down to $17.99. Then the cashier girl drops it onto the floor hard and the OCD in me says I'm not coming back for that one even if they mark it down eventually.

Thanks. I see you can switch on Target Circle Rewards so I did. Kind of confused why anyone would have it set off which seems to be the default.
Well if you use the rewards credit to buy something and then end up returning it I'm not sure whether you get the credit back or not. That would be one reason to disable it in my book.

When they have those Circle offers where you have to spend a certain dollar amount in a single purchase to get back a certain dollar amount in Circle credit, you can't use Circle credit towards those purchases to get the bonus. So, that's one reason to turn it off. They won't let you use it towards certain things such as Target gift cards or third-party gift cards anyway.

Thanks for the info on what not to use the Circle Rewards on. It's terrible that you just lose your credit if you spend it on the wrong thing. I prefer the way Bestbuy does it where if you return something, the Reward points eventually get returned to your account.

I guess I'll save it to buy a game I have no chance of returning.

Thanks for the info on what not to use the Circle Rewards on. It's terrible that you just lose your credit if you spend it on the wrong thing. I prefer the way Bestbuy does it where if you return something, the Reward points eventually get returned to your account.

I guess I'll save it to buy a game I have no chance of returning.
Yeah definitely use it on an in store purchase. As while I have personally never had it happen others have had preorders or online orders canceled for no reason.

No luck with Tactics Ogre around here. Will grab that for PS4 someday down the road.

Anyways, the VG sections are pretty bare and have been for some time. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a remodel coming that significantly reduces the floor space for games.

No luck with Tactics Ogre around here. Will grab that for PS4 someday down the road.
Anyways, the VG sections are pretty bare and have been for some time. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a remodel coming that significantly reduces the floor space for games.
They’re removing a majority of the gaming section. They will only sell triple a titles and sports games now.

Makes sense. Frankly, pretty soon the only ones bothering with disc releases will be the AAA games and sports titles, anyways.
I don’t think that will ever happen. There’s always gonna be people who purchase physical copies of things. The digital route won’t ever work out because you just own the license and having to be connected online constantly will always be a downfall. I use to be on board with digital things but, it has way to many flaws. Every major company will probably just move forward with shipping physical things in the future as to it takes up to much store space is what I’ve come to conclusion with. People don’t really goto stores to make game purchases now a days like they use to when they can just hop online and have things shipped to them at home.

I don’t think that will ever happen. There’s always gonna be people who purchase physical copies of things. The digital route won’t ever work out because you just own the license and having to be connected online constantly will always be a downfall. I use to be on board with digital things but, it has way to many flaws. Every major company will probably just move forward with shipping physical things in the future as to it takes up to much store space is what I’ve come to conclusion with. People don’t really goto stores to make game purchases now a days like they use to when they can just hop online and have things shipped to them at home.
Not sure I agree with this. If you’ve lived long enough, one thing you will realize is that humans almost always, without reservation, opt for convenience over quality. This has been demonstrated time and time again.

The vast vast majority of people will opt for digital all other things equal. Don’t even have to get off the couch.

I went to like 5 targets over the weekend and couldn't find anything lol

Would have loved to find star ocean and soul hackers for ps5.

NADA

what state are you in? Or were you on a road trip to have five targets on your way?
I am in NJ. I have about 3-4 targets within 20-30 minutes in different directions, so I stopped at one on my way home from work Friday night, wound up near another one Saturday morning. I stopped at 3 more on the way to a walmart around 45 minutes away Saturday night as I was on the lookout for a 65" Vizio D-Series as a Bedroom TV as if the store had it, it would have only been 80$. I can think of atleast 4-5 more targets either 20 minutes from my work or 30 minutes from my house in other directions that I don't often go

Struck out pretty much entirely except for finding a clearance Anova Sous Vide maker for 40$

I agree with you there'll always be a need for physical copies when it comes to console gaming at least. While it's true console makers are pushing for an all-digital future, gamers are going to see soon enough what truly that kind of future is going to be. The issue for me is will digital games that I buy ever get delisted several console generations down the road and, more concerning, will each of the 3 console makers still be here a decade or two from now? If gamers truly believe that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will never bow out of the gaming business and always have servers that will allow you to download that digital game a decade or decades from now then buy your games digitally. I personally don't have kind of trust.

I am an old-school gamer who want the full content of a game to be on the disk or cartridge I bought that I am really bothered by this trend that before you can play a game, a portion of the game or updates have to be downloaded in order for it to run. It has me concerned about how many of my physical games from the PS4 and Xbox One onwards can be truly playable far into the future if it's not already loaded onto my consoles.

It’s going to be interesting to see how future store remodels handle the gaming sections, considering that Target is one of the few retailers that will be increasing the size of their stores when/where possible in the near future. Just looking at their new concept store in Katy, Texas, it looks like they’re looking to add another 20,000-30,000 square feet to future stores. If the gaming sections aren’t generating the returns (or foot traffic), I’ll be curious to see what takes its place. They could honestly save space if they went back to the older glass displays they used to have, instead of the aisles of plastic coffins.

It’s going to be interesting to see how future store remodels handle the gaming sections, considering that Target is one of the few retailers that will be increasing the size of their stores when/where possible in the near future. Just looking at their new concept store in Katy, Texas, it looks like they’re looking to add another 20,000-30,000 square feet to future stores. If the gaming sections aren’t generating the returns (or foot traffic), I’ll be curious to see what takes its place. They could honestly save space if they went back to the older glass displays they used to have, instead of the aisles of plastic coffins.
the local Target did a big remodel last year and that is exactly what they did. went from 3 aisles of video games to 1.5 aisles and back to the taller displays. they also decreased the entire footprint of the electronics section by half, physical media has about the same amount of floor space as funkos. 1 total aisle for movies, vinyls and cds. It is a depressing place to shop in.

I’m in Galveston. All the targets up to by the baybrook mall near me are pretty big. Is the gaming section dead over there in Katy as well? There’s literally like 5 games in the huge section of ps5/ps4/Xbox now. The only thing that has a steady stock is switch and I rarely ever see anyone trying to purchase things. My guess is they might go back to selling more phones.

I’m in Galveston. All the targets up to by the baybrook mall near me are pretty big. Is the gaming section dead over there in Katy as well? There’s literally like 5 games in the huge section of ps5/ps4/Xbox now. The only thing that has a steady stock is switch and I rarely ever see anyone trying to purchase things. My guess is they might go back to selling more phones.
I’m in NC, so not seen the new concept store layout yet. Read an article about it the other day and tried to get a better idea on YouTube. There are a few videos showcasing the Katy store, but I didn’t see clear footage of what its gaming section looks like. Like some stores presently, it has some branded areas for certain products (Apple). A good bit more open space as well—larger aisles, larger Starbucks, more windows to let natural light inside. Also a more dedicated exterior area for conducting store pick ups.

I do wonder how some of these design concepts will make their way into older, established stores. Just found it interesting that there’s a new design in play at about the same time as we’ve all been wondering what’s going on in the gaming section. Could be coincidental. Time will tell.

I’m in NC, so not seen the new concept store layout yet. Read an article about it the other day and tried to get a better idea on YouTube. There are a few videos showcasing the Katy store, but I didn’t see clear footage of what its gaming section looks like. Like some stores presently, it has some branded areas for certain products (Apple). A good bit more open space as well—larger aisles, larger Starbucks, more windows to let natural light inside. Also a more dedicated exterior area for conducting store pick ups.
I do wonder how some of these design concepts will make their way into older, established stores. Just found it interesting that there’s a new design in play at about the same time as we’ve all been wondering what’s going on in the gaming section. Could be coincidental. Time will tell.
The store in Pasadena looks like they’re getting ready to setup this way. There gaming section was basically bones.

Went out to a few locations trying to grab Tactics Ogre & Star Ocean PS5 for a friend and snag Demon Slayer PS4 for myself. I can see what everyone was referring to regarding the game section at Target. Bare bones in comparison to years past.

1st Location had Tactics Ogre, Jojo's and Battlefield 2042 (PS4/PS5) & Star Ocean XBO. 2nd Location had Mass Effect, Soul Hackers 2 XBO & Star Ocean XBO. A scan of the UPC for Demon Slayer PS4 at the second location showed the In Store Price at $0.00. Figured I would stop looking after seeing that as I'm not up for a fight with store staff to grab the game even if I was able to find it. Wound up grabbing it off eBay for $22 with Free Shipping.

Went out to a few locations trying to grab Tactics Ogre & Star Ocean PS5 for a friend and snag Dragon Slayer PS4 for myself. I can see what everyone was eluding regarding the game section at Target. Bare bones in comparison to years past.

1st Location had Tactics Ogre, Jojo's and Battlefield 2042 (PS4/PS5) & Star Ocean XBO. 2nd Location had Mass Effect, Soul Hackers 2 XBO & Star Ocean XBO. A scan of the UPC for Dragon Slayer PS4 at the second location showed the In Store Price at $0.00. Figured I would stop looking after seeing that as I'm not up for a fight with store staff to grab the game even if I was able to find it. Wound up grabbing it off eBay for $22 with Free Shipping.
You keep calling it Dragon Slayer. Isn't it Demon Slayer?

Also it's "alluding to", not eluding. There are very different meanings between those two words.

Went out to a few locations trying to grab Tactics Ogre & Star Ocean PS5 for a friend and snag Dragon Slayer PS4 for myself. I can see what everyone was eluding regarding the game section at Target. Bare bones in comparison to years past.

1st Location had Tactics Ogre, Jojo's and Battlefield 2042 (PS4/PS5) & Star Ocean XBO. 2nd Location had Mass Effect, Soul Hackers 2 XBO & Star Ocean XBO. A scan of the UPC for Dragon Slayer PS4 at the second location showed the In Store Price at $0.00. Figured I would stop looking after seeing that as I'm not up for a fight with store staff to grab the game even if I was able to find it. Wound up grabbing it off eBay for $22 with Free Shipping.
All you have to do is take them to the register. They aren’t gonna refuse to sell a game they’re trying to get rid of. Demon slayer is literally still in there system I had someone scan it yesterday to see if they price changed at all smh.

You keep calling it Dragon Slayer. Isn't it Demon Slayer?

Also it's "alluding to", not eluding. There are very different meanings between those two words.
The post is edited. I'll make sure to consult your editing skills before I post next time. Thanks for the heads up 😑

All you have to do is take them to the register. They aren’t gonna refuse to sell a game they’re trying to get rid of. Demon slayer is literally still in there system I had someone scan it yesterday to see if they price changed at all smh.
I've had arguments and refusals in years past on games out of the system (both at Target plus Best Buy with penny guides back in the day). I would definitely try it if I found a copy in the the wild though. Paying an extra $5 on eBay is not a biggie

It's certainly worth a try but that's not true that they won't refuse. If it comes up as $0.00 on the scanner then it means it is an item that was supposed to have been pulled for salvage. Anyway I've found that when negotiating and making your case that it helps to mention that you are aware of how they typically do 70% off on an item before sending it to salvage. Sometimes they may still be willing to sell you the item, sometimes not. It's a YMMV situation and up to their discretion.

bread's done
Back