Target is discontinuing GBA

TimPV3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (98%)
Just got the news today, all GBA stock is being listed as discontinued, and EVERYTHING is to be put out onto the floor from the backroom. Supposedly in about a month DS will have already filled GBA's place, and around here it's already apparent as the case is getting empty since there's been no new GBA's coming in.

[quote name='Doylerulez']Does this apply to just the system or are they also starting to discontinue the games as well?[/QUOTE]Everything, especially games. We were told to move all GBA stock out onto the floor ASAP, so expect an endcap full of GBA games.

This sounds odd, especially since the GBA had good sales over the holidays and people still buy GBA games.

[quote name='munch']This sounds odd, especially since the GBA had good sales over the holidays and people still buy GBA games.[/QUOTE]

Target has VERY limited space (I'm sure you noticed) and while the GBA is receiving maybe 1 or 2 games a month, if that, the DS is receiving at least 20 - 30 it seems and most of them are of the family friendly variety Target likes to carry.

DS has much better sales than the GBA, so this only makes sense.

I'm starting to wonder when the other B&M guys will start follow Target's cue and getting rid of their GBA sections.

It's a shame they are just moving it and not clearancing it.

[quote name='munch']This sounds odd, especially since the GBA had good sales over the holidays and people still buy GBA games.[/quote]Makes some sense. They'd rather have those 60k people buying GBAs every month to just buy a DS instead. That would probably spur more software sales, given that nothing new is coming out for the GBA anymore. And they just need the shelf space.

[quote name='botticus']Makes some sense. They'd rather have those 60k people buying GBAs every month to just buy a DS instead. That would probably spur more software sales, given that nothing new is coming out for the GBA anymore. And they just need the shelf space.[/QUOTE]

Yea, when all the Target's around here re-did the electronics sections, it seems the cases actually got smaller.

They have maybe 1/2 the space Best Buy or Circuit City have, at any rate.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, when all the Target's around here re-did the electronics sections, it seems the cases actually got smaller.

They have maybe 1/2 the space Best Buy or Circuit City have, at any rate.[/quote]Too much space given to a lot of crap accessories, though I guess they did cut that down as well.

Hopefully we will start seeing discounted GBA SP's, the ones with the backlit screen. I only have a Micro and a DSL. I'd love to grab a backlit SP on the cheap, for the connectivity to GC feature and the GB/GBC capability that the micro doesnt have.

[quote name='daroga']I wonder how long Nintendo will continue to make the GBA systems... or if they still are.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully until the next GameBoy system comes out. GBA is the best handheld system in history, so it will be sad to see it finally go.

[quote name='redline']Hopefully until the next GameBoy system comes out. GBA is the best handheld system in history, so it will be sad to see it finally go.[/quote]Architecturally, I'll say the DS is now. The GBA SP is too small, width-wise, to be comfortable. The DS is probably about the same size as the original GBA, in a clamshell. Winner.

And from a software standpoint... I guess. But I didn't play most of this stuff till I had a DS, so its a moot point for me. And the DS has a few years to build up much better software.

They should just make the next handheld the Game Boy DS. That's what half of America calls it anyway, brand recognition overload.

Not that Target's GBA selection was anything to get excited about for GBA games, maybe they'll clearance out what they have, so at least, we'll get it for 25% off.

[quote name='shrike4242']Not that Target's GBA selection was anything to get excited about for GBA games, maybe they'll clearance out what they have, so at least, we'll get it for 25% off.[/QUOTE]It's been more or less just board game collections and Nintendogs rip-offs for a while now.

[quote name='TimPV3']It's been more or less just board game collections and Nintendogs rip-offs for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Target really hasn't been carrying anything worthwhile... they do have FF 6 Advance though (it's where I bought mine a few months ago) so they would have some gems if they clearanced it.

Chances are they will stick it on an endcap for a few months, and clearance the leftovers.

[quote name='Puffa469']Hopefully we will start seeing discounted GBA SP's, the ones with the backlit screen. I only have a Micro and a DSL. I'd love to grab a backlit SP on the cheap, for the connectivity to GC feature and the GB/GBC capability that the micro doesnt have.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I've got a DS Phat and the original GBA SP with the sidelit screen. Wouldn't mind ebaying my current one and grabbing a backlit at clearance price.

Well game crazy already clear out their GBA section (aside from pokemon and FF). I hope I have a chance to score FFVI for cheap from target

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm starting to wonder when the other B&M guys will start follow Target's cue and getting rid of their GBA sections.[/QUOTE]

Wal*Mart will never. My store still has 2004 PS1 sports titles for $30.

[quote name='TimPV3']It's been more or less just board game collections and Nintendogs rip-offs for a while now.[/quote]

Yeah, but the Petz line has sold 3.5 million copies, so it's good business. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me!

I'm going to cash in on a clearanced SP, because the DS screen is just not good for GBA games. GBA games are a little smaller on the DS' screen than they are on the SP's screen, and every milimeter counts when you've got such a tiny screen. I love the FF ports, but, you know, they're kind of just way too tiny.

Plus, the way that GBA games stick out of the DS is completely unacceptable.

The gba's here sell out just as fast as the DS Lite's so I see no reason why they should have to clearance the hardware, maybe at stores that sell no GBA's though.

BTW does anyone know whats up with the GRAPHITE color GBA SP (note: its the grayish-sparkly-gun-metal black) BACKLIT GBA SP, I never see this for sale anywhere anymore, I already own one but I am just curious if this is a discontinued color as the only colors I see around nowadays are pearl blue and pearl pink.

[quote name='SaraAB']
BTW does anyone know whats up with the GRAPHITE color GBA SP (note: its the grayish-sparkly-gun-metal black) BACKLIT GBA SP, I never see this for sale anywhere anymore, I already own one but I am just curious if this is a discontinued color as the only colors I see around nowadays are pearl blue and pearl pink.[/quote]

Ive seen those recently at the Nintendo World Store. By recently I mean a few months ago, I havent checked lately. But last time I did look they musta had a hundred of them.

Good, this could possibly mean a clearence :) Also, I've seen Wal-Marts with N64 games, stickered at a "low price" of $49.96.

I visited my Target yesterday. While there are tons of GBA games on the endcap, none of them are on clearance. The game with the lowest price was still $14.99 :cry:

I guess I need to give the store a couple of weeks before I start to see clearances.

This seems like a strange decision, considering GBA hardware still beats out the PS3 in recent months.. :D

[quote name='jer7583']This seems like a strange decision, considering GBA hardware still beats out the PS3 in recent months.. :D[/QUOTE]
It's a relative thing: just because the PS3 is selling poorly doesn't mean the GBA is selling well. Besides, the last games that came out were ages ago with Final Fantasy VI and TMNT, right?

I love that little system and I'm sad to see it go.

BTW you can get the GameBoy Micro brand new at Gamestop.com for $50. Totally worth it in my opinion.

well already having a ds lite, I'd love to pick up a gb micro and a gbsp. maybe if they go on clearance, i'll be able to pick those up.

Hopefully, some day I'll be able to pick up one of the newer model GBA SP and FFVI!

It would make sense to discontinue the GBA SP, but not the games since the DS can play them. I guess they really do need the space!

Walmarts need to get a handle on their buyers or something. The backlog of old games for retail prices is a total joke. Times that by all their stores and thats some serious inventory they are sitting on.

I don't like this decision. Not that I buy that many GBA games but because they are out in the open and it seems they are the easiest to steal since it's easier to open than a game case. I have seen opened GBA games with I guess the cartridge missing at Target multiple times (different locations too) and this will only make it worse. I think they should still leave the high value games ($29.99 ones) locked in the case.

But think about if walmart sells just one of those 49.99 nintendo 64 games to a kid who only has an n64 but wants a new game for it, with the backlog of games I think they are trying to play on people's stupidity to buy an overpriced item, which with the clientele of walmart I would not be surprised if that works occasionally. Some people just don't know any better and some do not know to check ebay or online for better video game prices.

[quote name='SaraAB']But think about if walmart sells just one of those 49.99 nintendo 64 games to a kid who only has an n64 but wants a new game for it, with the backlog of games I think they are trying to play on people's stupidity to buy an overpriced item, which with the clientele of walmart I would not be surprised if that works occasionally. Some people just don't know any better and some do not know to check ebay or online for better video game prices.[/QUOTE]

And don't forget that at one point they did spend the original buying price on it, so they do want to make some semblance of a profit.

[quote name='suko_32']Good, this could possibly mean a clearence :) Also, I've seen Wal-Marts with N64 games, stickered at a "low price" of $49.96.[/quote]

dosn't that mean you could buy a new n64 game somewhere else for like $5 (if you can find one) then exchange it at walmart for a current gen game?

[quote name='Puffa469']Hopefully we will start seeing discounted GBA SP's, the ones with the backlit screen. I only have a Micro and a DSL. I'd love to grab a backlit SP on the cheap, for the connectivity to GC feature and the GB/GBC capability that the micro doesnt have.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how to read this. It partly sounds as if the micro didn't have the connectivity to GC feature.

You know, it has, right? There's no official Nintendo support but one old and crowded and long thread here (I think, I should be stickied, it's even referenced by Wiki) deals especially with how to make you own cable (or get one built by someone else)

OriginalTopic:
I'm nowhere near to a Target market (I think), but I believe it's a shame letting GBA go - considering that the DS never was meant as a descendant to the Gameboy and therefore no real heir to the Gameboy is available ATM.

Still, with the DS success, Nintendo might want to drop their 3-leg-philosophy and just merge DS and Gameboy intro just one leg. Still the name "Gameboy" is too much a trademark to simply be forgotten.

Greets,

TCC

*hopes for a cheap Pokemon Saphirre finally*

Also why? It outsells the PS3 :D

EDIT: When I drove cross country 2 years ago, I stopped at plently of Wal-Marts, and I'm not trying to stereotype or anything but in the midwest I saw tons and tons of GameBoy, N64, PS1, and even SNES games, new and unopened, but at drastic discounts. But on the coasts I never once saw anything prior to last gen's stuff. I think depending where you are in the states, you will get a different experience, and I'm sure if I went to those same Wal-Marts in 5 years I would find massive amounts of GameCube stuff.

I think they should still have the 14.99 and 9.99 GBA games up by the front registers as those seem to sell as well as candy does even if the game is crappy however removing it from the actual games section isn't a bad idea since it will leave more room for DS games to be stocked.

bread's done
Back