Team Fortress 2 - $9.99 (on Steam)

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']hm, TF2+Garry's mod is $25...what is Garry's Mod?...do i need it to play on certain server's or something?[/QUOTE]

No.

Garry's Mod is a separate "game" that uses Source-based games' models.

Garry's Mod is a physics sandbox. Unlike regular games there aren't any predefined aims or goals. We give you the tools and leave you to play.

You spawn objects and weld them together to create your own contraptions - whether that's a car, a rocket, a catapult or something that doesn't have a name yet - that's up to you.

If you're not too great at construction - don't worry! You can place a variety of characters in silly positions.

Nice, I think I just might get this. Now that I actually have a computer capable of running PC games it's about time I bought one haha

Got this with with the Orange Box last year and still play it so for $10 it's a steal especially if you enjoy class-based shooters. IMO the community isn't that hardcore and pretty friendly overall so it's not that hard for a n00b to contribute to the team after a few matches. Just find a class that you like (I think Medic and Pyro are very accessible for new players) and you can youtube some videos if you need some general strategy tips.

Damn. I gave my brother the TF2 I bought from Circuit City. Didn't think I'd get lucky with a price for the game again. Would be tempted to buy it if I knew it would run alright on my computer. :bomb:

Picked this up for $10 at CC, and liked it so much I bought a copy of The Orange Box for a friend so he would play with me. BTW, Orange Box for PC is $15 at CC if you find it.

[quote name='Tsukento']Damn. I gave my brother the TF2 I bought from Circuit City. Didn't think I'd get lucky with a price for the game again. Would be tempted to buy it if I knew it would run alright on my computer. :bomb:[/quote]

It can play on practically any computer if you turn down the resolution and details. I played for a while on a low end 128mb Geforce 7200. It ran smoothly on low details at 800x600. The visuals obviously weren't the maxed out "Toy Story"-quality they are on a better system, but they were perfectly fine to play with.

I recommend buying it and just having it on your Steam account. Everyone updates their computer eventually (especially when it dies) and it'll be right there for you.

I paid $10 back in December, it's given me probably over 70 hours of gameplay already, and we can be sure that Valve will be dedicated enough to keep giving us class packs until they've all been treated. The art, atmosphere and general level of direction is superb. Killer deal, jump on this if you like the genre at all.

How hard is it to get into this game? I have been debating picking it up for awhile but am really intimidated. I like a lot of FPSers and do pretty well sitting around with me and my buddies playing gears or halo but the second I go online I tend to get tossed around pretty badly....so I never play online. Playing a PC FPSer makes it doubly intimidating.

Awesome... thank you very much for the post!

I saw the old TF2 for $10 thread resurrected yesterday and it got me excited for nothing... glad to see it's true now! I already do own Orange Box for 360, but TF2 was terrible on there. I can't wait to play it "for real!"

[quote name='lordwow']Picked this up, I loved this on the 360, but no one plays it anymore.[/quote]

this won't be the case with the pc version

I noticed a thread like this was bumped a few days ago, I was about to say, "Please stop bumping the ancient thread, thanks". But this is the real deal :)

I may jump on this, but I am not a huge TF fan. Though, it might be worth checking out to see how it has evolved over the years for 10 bucks.

Well I bit. It's hard to pass up $10 on a game that everyone praises.

Only put about an hour into it but wow it's fun. I've played a little of the 360 version too and even without a crazy graphics card this craps all over the console version.

this is the only FPS i play online. a lot of fun to play and it's satisfying to master a class (which i haven't done, but i'm working on it). i'd recommend not playing for a week or two though. there are scouts EVERYWHERE. but that's me, i'd rather play on balanced teams.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Slap yourself if you don't have this game yet. Best multiplayer FPS ever. I would gladly pay $50 for it knowing how good it is.[/quote]
Aside from L4D, yes it's the best PC FPS multiplayer game.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How hard is it to get into this game? I have been debating picking it up for awhile but am really intimidated. I like a lot of FPSers and do pretty well sitting around with me and my buddies playing gears or halo but the second I go online I tend to get tossed around pretty badly....so I never play online.[/quote]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]It's not very hard to pick up at all. Classes like pyro are easy to jump in and start killing with. Usually for noobs I suggest going medic however. Try gluing yourself to a heavy for a while. Keep the heavies fully healed so they can mow down the opposition and..and keep buffing up the rest of your injured teammates too with short healing bursts. Don't bother trying to shoot enemies with your medic gun...It is too weak and you will lose. You'll do MUCH more damage to the enemy by healing your teammates and letting them do the dirty work. If you keep them alive, they will keep you alive..giving you a good chance to observe how the different classes behave and learn everyone's strengths and weaknesses. Once you get a good idea of the maps and different classes, trying playing as the pyro, demo, sniper, etc.. Maybe one day you'll even become an elite spy like me.;)[/FONT]

The key to being a spy is making sure you don't look out of place when disguised. It's so easy to tell most people when they're a spy, because the run full speed at you from somewhere only the enemy would be. It's really an art of being unnoticed.

[quote name='Capitalizt'][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]It's not very hard to pick up at all. Classes like pyro are easy to jump in and start killing with. Usually for noobs I suggest going medic however. Try gluing yourself to a heavy for a while. Keep the heavies fully healed so they can mow down the opposition and..and keep buffing up the rest of your injured teammates too with short healing bursts. Don't bother trying to shoot enemies with your medic gun...It is too weak and you will lose. You'll do MUCH more damage to the enemy by healing your teammates and letting them do the dirty work. If you keep them alive, they will keep you alive..giving you a good chance to observe how the different classes behave and learn everyone's strengths and weaknesses. Once you get a good idea of the maps and different classes, trying playing as the pyro, demo, sniper, etc.. Maybe one day you'll even become an elite spy like me.;)[/FONT][/quote]

aw, and here i was thinking i wasn't being a noob by being a medic. i've been having a lot of fun with that class recently. i find ubering pyros, demomen and soldiers a lot more fun than ubering heavies. it's useful for sentry gun anilihation too.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Aside from L4D, yes it's the best PC FPS multiplayer game.[/quote]Best PC FPS multiplayer = best FPS multiplayer. ;)

[quote name='Archon29']Best PC FPS multiplayer = best FPS multiplayer. ;)[/quote]

QFT

[quote name='MSI Magus']How hard is it to get into this game? I have been debating picking it up for awhile but am really intimidated. I like a lot of FPSers and do pretty well sitting around with me and my buddies playing gears or halo but the second I go online I tend to get tossed around pretty badly....so I never play online. Playing a PC FPSer makes it doubly intimidating.[/quote]
Not at all, all of Valves recent games (TF2, L4D) Have been very new player centric. Lighting that subtly tells you where to go, tips pop up, sound and visual cues to let you know things, it's very easy to get in to.

Most players are pretty bad so if you're not too PC FPS you'll fit right in.

This game also has a decent sized competitive following, some of you may want to check this out: http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/story/43759/

[quote name='Capitalizt'][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]It's not very hard to pick up at all. Classes like pyro are easy to jump in and start killing with. Usually for noobs I suggest going medic however. Try gluing yourself to a heavy for a while. Keep the heavies fully healed so they can mow down the opposition and..and keep buffing up the rest of your injured teammates too with short healing bursts. Don't bother trying to shoot enemies with your medic gun...It is too weak and you will lose. You'll do MUCH more damage to the enemy by healing your teammates and letting them do the dirty work. If you keep them alive, they will keep you alive..giving you a good chance to observe how the different classes behave and learn everyone's strengths and weaknesses. Once you get a good idea of the maps and different classes, trying playing as the pyro, demo, sniper, etc.. Maybe one day you'll even become an elite spy like me.;)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

How do you even heal? I tried all three weapons using the left and the right click and it seems none are a heal. All any of it did was swing my little knife and shoot some kind of a dart. I really wish this game had a tutorial or offline mode vs just dumping you into the game. its amazingly frustrating for the player and I would imagine its amazingly frustrating for others to have a medic running around shooting darts everywhere or having his heal ray out but doing nothing with it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How do you even heal? I tried all three weapons using the left and the right click and it seems none are a heal. All any of it did was swing my little knife and shoot some kind of a dart. I really wish this game had a tutorial or offline mode vs just dumping you into the game. its amazingly frustrating for the player and I would imagine its amazingly frustrating for others to have a medic running around shooting darts everywhere or having his heal ray out but doing nothing with it.[/quote]

the #2 weapon slot is your heal gun. you have to hold down the left mouse button and aim at a player within range. there should be a box that pops up in the center of the screen who you are currently healing along with either a red or blue ray going to that player.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How do you even heal? I tried all three weapons using the left and the right click and it seems none are a heal. All any of it did was swing my little knife and shoot some kind of a dart. I really wish this game had a tutorial or offline mode vs just dumping you into the game. its amazingly frustrating for the player and I would imagine its amazingly frustrating for others to have a medic running around shooting darts everywhere or having his heal ray out but doing nothing with it.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Those are the kinds of medics more people need, teaches 'em to play better.

You'll get a lot better if don't have anyone that knows how to heal. :p

bread's done
Back