Team Fortress 2 - $9.99 Steam Sale

banzaiwolfe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
Steam now has TF2 for $9.99 this weekend only. http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/

As another thread stated, there is also a free weekend if you want to try it out first. That is also live, along with the Sniper/Spy Update.

spotlight_tf.jpg

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Anybody considering this should have jumped on the Orange Box for 10 bucks a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if they missed it for some reason and/or only want TF2, it's still a good deal. There's plenty of replay value in TF2 alone.

If I hear about anybody who doesn't have this game after this sale, I just won't know what to think. With every update there is a sale, there's been weekend deals, and Orange Box was $10 a month ago. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE ANYMORE!

It honestly should have been no more than $6.99. $5 if they were really wanting to tempt the few who don't have it.

[quote name='Kerig']It honestly should have been no more than $6.99. $5 if they were really wanting to tempt the few who don't have it.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who would pay $7 for TF2, but not $10, is kind of retarded.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']If I hear about anybody who doesn't have this game after this sale, I just won't know what to think. With every update there is a sale, there's been weekend deals, and Orange Box was $10 a month ago. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE ANYMORE![/QUOTE]

I have TF2, but uh don't play it haha. I just can't get into it.

Got it.
My PS3 version of TOB just can't cut it (no updates.)

Plus I already have all the other games, minus Portal.
I'm in.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Anyone who would pay $7 for TF2, but not $10, is kind of retarded.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who would pay $10 for TF2, but not $10 for the entire Orange Box is not a CAG.

[quote name='Kerig']Anyone who would pay $10 for TF2, but not $10 for the entire Orange Box is not a CAG.[/QUOTE]

But if you missed the boat, then you missed the boat. The Orange Box isn't going to be $10 again, and if TF2 is ever going to be on sale for less than $10 - say, for $5 - then it'll be far longer of a wait, than would be worth the $5 savings.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']But if you missed the boat, then you missed the boat. The Orange Box isn't going to be $10 again, and if TF2 is ever going to be on sale for less than $10 - say, for $5 - then it'll be far longer of a wait, than would be worth the $5 savings.[/QUOTE]

You sound pretty sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam put out the Orange Box at $10 again, such as during the holidays. At this point we are both guessing though.

[quote name='52club']You sound pretty sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam put out the Orange Box at $10 again, such as during the holidays. At this point we are both guessing though.[/QUOTE]

If anyone really thinks it's worth it to miss out on TF2 for a completely indeterminate amount of time, waiting for something so uncertain, over the matter of so little money, than fine. Their loss. Seriously.

Just to be sure (I am kinda new to steam) if I purchase this game at $10 I get to play it free online (I know it's the only way to play it) as much as my heart desires no?

[quote name='souleman96']Just to be sure (I am kinda new to steam) if I purchase this game at $10 I get to play it free online (I know it's the only way to play it) as much as my heart desires no?[/QUOTE]

Yeah...

This game cost me about 40$ with the Orange Box when it came out. Hands down best value ever. 10$ for TF2 is nuts.

In the last few months it has made me forget about my 360 / PS3. The game is multiplayer perfection. Hands down the best multiplayer game on the market right now.

can I get an honest opinion, what makes the MP so 'fun'? I didn't care for the gunplay, there were a bit too many classes for me to figure out what's the deal with them. I dunno. I'm very tempted on reinstalling my copy from the OB, but yeah, I feel like I'm missing out on this game yet I've tried two different times to get into it and I just can't =(

[quote name='souleman96']Just to be sure (I am kinda new to steam) if I purchase this game at $10 I get to play it free online (I know it's the only way to play it) as much as my heart desires no?[/QUOTE]

This isn't xbox live lmao, and how they weened people into paying for PvP gaming is beyond me.

Oh and aznguy, you need to pick one class and stick to that. Something easy like the demoman or medic or heavy. Once you start popping some kills and stuff it clicks. Or hell, be an engie and put up sentries and dispensers. Stay away from spies and scouts and snipers though. Trust me, there are more than enough of those, and not enough others.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']This isn't xbox live lmao, and how they weened people into paying for PvP gaming is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Allow me to enlighten you, then.

The reason that Xbox Live carries a fee, is because Microsoft maintains all the servers for all the games on XBL, instead of the publishers. With online PS3 or PC games, you have the publishers running the servers. This means that as soon as the publishers decide that running the servers is no longer worth the cost, they can, and will shut the servers down.

On XBL, the fee goes to pay for all of the servers, and guarantees that the online functionality for ALL Xbox 360 games (aside from MMOs) will remain intact, regardless of popularity.

Understand now? It's not like MS just charges the $50, because they can. It actually does go to pay for something, and something pretty useful at that.

[quote name='aznguyen316']can I get an honest opinion, what makes the MP so 'fun'? I didn't care for the gunplay, there were a bit too many classes for me to figure out what's the deal with them. I dunno. I'm very tempted on reinstalling my copy from the OB, but yeah, I feel like I'm missing out on this game yet I've tried two different times to get into it and I just can't =([/QUOTE]

Each class is defined by their unique primary weapon or function: Sniper has a sniper rifle, Pyro has a flamethower, etc. Just pick a class and figure out how that class plays. Along the way you'll see what other classes do and, from that, you can figure out what class you might want to play next. I suggest soldier as your first class since they have a rocket launcher (pretty simple to figure out) and have relatively high survivability.

If you have questions about what to do on a map, watch the "howto" video at the beginning of each map or ask people in game for help. The people playing on the PC are usually helpful. Start using voice chat to coordinate with your team -- that's where a lot of the fun comes from (IMHO), the team effort.

Teamwork is the fun of the game. Pairing up with a medic to survive longer and push harder into the enemy lines that could on your own is tons of fun. Working with an engineer or heavy weapons guy (HWG) to defend a capture point is also a great dynamic. Coordinate attacks with others: distract a sentry gun so that a pyro can sneak in and immolate the enemy snipers :hot:. Sure, you can play solo, but without voice chat and working with the team, I think it feels like running around like a headless chicken at times.

You can always join the CAG group for Steam and, through the CAG community page on Steam, find a server where one of us are playing.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Allow me to enlighten you, then.

The reason that Xbox Live carries a fee, is because Microsoft maintains all the servers for all the games on XBL, instead of the publishers. With online PS3 or PC games, you have the publishers running the servers. This means that as soon as the publishers decide that running the servers is no longer worth the cost, they can, and will shut the servers down.

On XBL, the fee goes to pay for all of the servers, and guarantees that the online functionality for ALL Xbox 360 games (aside from MMOs) will remain intact, regardless of popularity.

Understand now? It's not like MS just charges the $50, because they can. It actually does go to pay for something, and something pretty useful at that.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Great point that there will always be servers. If you want an example of how a community based server system can fail, check out L4D for the PC. There are times where you're trying to get your lobby to find a server but 4 out of 5 attempts will result in joining a server that pings over 100ms or crashes 15 minutes into the game. :bomb: Usually Valve's model works well, like in TF2 or CS, but for L4D it has been terrible (though I don't know how L4D's server model is on XBL).

If you want a console example, EA has shut down the servers for several of their games since they were running their own servers rather than using XBL's servers.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Allow me to enlighten you, then.

Understand now? It's not like MS just charges the $50, because they can. It actually does go to pay for something, and something pretty useful at that.[/QUOTE]

Oh, how wrong you are. Ever wonder why your COD4 or Gears game is so laggy? It's because MS doesn't spend anything on dedicated servers. Everything you play is peer to peer including voice chat.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 360 and play on Live. It can be fun. Don't compare it to Steam though. Steam is community driven in terms of dedicated servers and it allows you to have 32 player games with very low ping. MS definitely doesn't need to charge 50$ / year for what they give you (which really is close to nothing).

To above poster Re: "though I don't know how L4D's server model is on XBL"

Dude, it's all 100% peer to peer. MS doesn't run any servers. So yeah, maybe the dedicated servers in L4D on Steam aren't that good but AT LEAST THEY ARE THERE!

Plus on Steam you always have the opportunity to host your own game which is EXACTLY the same as the "Xbox Live Experience".

Don't compare it to Steam though. Steam is community driven in terms of dedicated servers and it allows you to have 32 player games with very low ping.
What the fuck are you talking about? Steam is just a digital distribution service, not an online server infrastructure. Sure, Steamworks includes netcode, but aside from Steamworks being an entirely separate product from Steam, the fact is, Valve does not run servers for any of the third-party games on Steam.

[quote name='fake larry']Plus on Steam you always have the opportunity to host your own game which is EXACTLY the same as the "Xbox Live Experience".[/QUOTE]

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Steam is not a server system. It's a digital distribution service. There can be all sorts of different server structures, on all the different games on Steam.

You know, you're right that XBL doesn't have dedicated servers, because I thought about all those host changes I've had during games. But my experience with multiplayer games has still been better for games on XBL than what I've had on L4D. Makes me impressed that the 360 hardware can handle all those players at one time.

Steam is a digital distribution service, a good one, but it isn't the basis for Valve's server system. And doing p2p games in L4D is only good if you like zombie horde slideshows.

[quote name='tcolberg']QFT. Great point that there will always be servers. If you want an example of how a community based server system can fail, check out L4D for the PC. There are times where you're trying to get your lobby to find a server but 4 out of 5 attempts will result in joining a server that pings over 100ms or crashes 15 minutes into the game. :bomb: Usually Valve's model works well, like in TF2 or CS, but for L4D it has been terrible (though I don't know how L4D's server model is on XBL).

If you want a console example, EA has shut down the servers for several of their games since they were running their own servers rather than using XBL's servers.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you on the L4D server issues, it's a LOT better than the first month of so after L4D's release, but it still is pretty far from perfect.

But you do have to remember this is the very first time Valve has tried matchmaking in one of their games.

I suggest soldier as your first class

Nonnononononononononono.

People need to learn the maps first and the little nuances and item placements. They need to play Medic first so they can learn and help at once.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']I definitely agree with you on the L4D server issues, it's a LOT better than the first month of so after L4D's release, but it still is pretty far from perfect.

But you do have to remember this is the very first time Valve has tried matchmaking in one of their games.[/QUOTE]

True, this is their first time. I see from your avatar that you're a fan; I've been playing HL since the day it came out. I guess I just expect a higher standard from them, especially since there are several other games out there that are excellent examples.

bread's done
Back