Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Serik']Funny story: during the second stage breakout on Gold Rush, a medic ubered me even though both of my nade launchers were out of ammo.[/QUOTE] That's pretty much what I did as a medic last night. I was following two people and one of them told me to uber them... but I ubered the wrong person without realizing it. The person I ubered still ran out, which is why I didn't switch targets as I didn't realize my mistake until after I died. He pretty much did the same thing as you, except I don't think he was as successful. :oops:

I heard that scout will have a new ability called 'evasion' where for a very short amount of time he'll be invincible but cannot attack. It may be a bar that you can activate, sort of like the spy's cloak. I don't know any other details, and I can't say for sure if this is real.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']master the battle medic[/QUOTE]
I've seen so many failed attempts at that. Haha

Two days ago, my team got owned by an uber engineer on goldrush. Went all the way to spawn to build, team couldn't counter act. It was the saddest thing because it happened twice in a row.

had a bit of a comeback with this game. still as fun as ever. I've notice that my bad ping times come in spikes so when I'm inbetween my 800+ ping times, I can even switch to non-medic/engineer classes! Oh boy!

Love the "new" turbine and steel maps.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Love the "new" turbine and steel maps.[/quote]
Those two are server-clearers, more so Steel than Turbine. You ought to check out some custom maps though like cp_freigt, pl_halfacre, a few others but keep an open mind to customs.

The pyro and heavy updates both came out on the 19th...is it crazy to think the Scout update will drop on the 19th of this month?

This seems to be the popular theory.

I heard that scout will have a new ability called 'evasion' where for a very short amount of time he'll be invincible but cannot attack. It may be a bar that you can activate, sort of like the spy's cloak. I don't know any other details, and I can't say for sure if this is real.

This sounds like a hunk of bologna IMO, there's a difference between making something from a hard counter to a soft counter (Flaregun in Pyro's case) and eliminating a hard counter (Sentry in this case)

Not to mention this could be easily OP in CTF games and CPs with chokepoints (Dustbowl)

Well the server I've been playing on they seem to be popular or they just coincidentally are cycling those 2 just as I'm playing, but the thing that really clears out that server is the Arena map. Holy crap that is terrible. Having to wait the whole round to be over before coming back to life? Its like constant sudden death.

Arena is a flop, no doubt about it.

Steel is a fun map once you learn it. The problem is finding 10 other teammates who know what they're doing. Even if you know the attack routes, the round goes to shit if no one else does.

Badwater is my favorite. I probably spend 80% of my TF2 time on that map.

Hell, 2fort is a server-clearer in the server I regularly play on. Turbine is pretty fun though, but it can get a little frustrating when you're on the losing team. Haven't played steel.

cp_freight is OK. The times I've played on that map, it never goes back-and-forth on the middle point-- which is the big area where fun stuff can happen. If that map ever makes the official rotation map cycle or whatever, it certainly needs some tweaking.

I actually like Arena, but as you mentioned, the whole waiting thing is horrible. I like it because it's different and makes you play differently with almost all the classes.

[quote name='Kayden']How can arena be a flop? It's exactly like counterstrike.[/quote]

If people wanted CS, they'd play CS :D

According to the server browser, only 64 people are playing arena maps right now. The arena maps are also at the bottom when it comes to time played as a percentage of total server hours.

cp_dustbowl. Never play anything else. The game is a beauty on this map. CTF is too derivative. Arena, yawn. The CART maps are worth playing. The cart and capture point maps (defense/offense) are amazing because they force the teams to be TEAMS. You have to push the cart to win. You have to push forward to win.

If you're wondering which class is hands down the single most powerful look to the Demoman.

Can any other class recognize that their bullet is a CRIT in mid-flight and detonate it at will? I think not. Hands down.

I think not.

Visually? Yeah. It's not hard to see the bullet streak has a team color associated with it when it's flying through my head.

It's also not hard to hear the shock noise to ID crits.

Oh, and I am also able to recognize your sticky grenades are destroyable/moved by airblast by the other team. :3 (Backburners are for idiots.)

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I heard that scout will have a new ability called 'evasion' where for a very short amount of time he'll be invincible but cannot attack. It may be a bar that you can activate, sort of like the spy's cloak. I don't know any other details, and I can't say for sure if this is real.[/quote]

I would only accept this if it came in the form of a Shamwow towel which absorbs damage, that would be both awesome and useful.

Someone needs to make a Base Race map for Team Fortress 2. I'm talking from Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (also a class based FPS) where both sides had to steal construction materials from the enemy's base and run it back to their own base to reinforce their base. Would be an instant TF2 classic if executed well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2F9ergASg

Still no free weeked... no one has a guest pass for this?

I like playing dustbowl as well, but one thing that annoys me is the same exact stuff happens when you play it. I think cp_gravelpit is my favorite map. So many different strategies you can do there. Epic battles happen on that map. Maybe because the fight can happen vertically on that map. Whatever it is, it's awesome. I played cp_steel today. Interesting map.

Not sure how arena mode is equal to CS... totally different.

[quote name='Serik']Arena is a flop, no doubt about it.
[/quote]

I used to not like Arena, but I think it all came down to the servers I was playing on.

I finally found a good server and now I love it. It is the only gametype that I really like being medic in.

Just played TF2 again for the first time in a while. Man, this is the one FPS where I suck complete crap. Like I am usually last place. Every class I play just turns into crap in my hands.

Terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently a few changes happen. Most notable change is they nerfed the Demoman and his stickies and the weapon loadout. Not sure how sticky damage works yet. And the weapon loadout requires you to go to the medicine cabinet to change weapons. Not that big of a deal, but going to the Steam forums there's lots of ruckus about the Demoman nerf.

Had an awesome round as sniper today, got a new high points total of 26 on.. gold rush I think. The ridiculous thing was that my ping was 400-600 the whole time, so I'd often click, hear the *ding* of the headshot, and then half a second later see them die. Normally I'd say it was pure luck, but it was something like 10 headshots, so it must have been a little more.

I keep getting stabbed in the back when I'm a heavy. They usually come after I start spinning my minigun. I started punching each one of my teammates out of paranoia. :lol:

http://www.teamfortress.com/scoutupdate/

First weapon is the Sandman

This is going to have a massive effect on offensive pushes with ubers.

February 17, 2008 — Valve, creators of award-winning games and leading technologies, today announced a set of new releases for Team Fortress 2, the title named Editor's Favorite Game of All Time by PC Gamer (UK). The releases are headline by the Scout Update and will be made available Tuesday, February 24. Between now and then, folks can learn more about what's coming by checking www.tf2.com/scoutupdate each day.

I won't be taking it, but I'm too quick to judge. I'll wait for it to come out.

Worst case it'll be fun to mess around with on 32 IR 24/7 2Fort.

[quote name='shinryuu']The no double jump thing is huge.[/QUOTE]

So what, if I said (And I've seen people say this before thus the caps) HE GETS ONE SHOT AND IT'S SO INNACURATE BUT IT KILLS EVERYONE AND CAN ONLY BE SHOT 1CE PER HOUR would that be fair because the cons are 'Huge'?

I just wish Valve would lay off the weapons the screw around with movement speed/player control. Natasha + airblast + scout baseball

But if they mess up the implementation, they'll change it. See also: backburner having 50 additional hitpoints

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']So what, if I said (And I've seen people say this before thus the caps) HE GETS ONE SHOT AND IT'S SO INNACURATE BUT IT KILLS EVERYONE AND CAN ONLY BE SHOT 1CE PER HOUR would that be fair because the cons are 'Huge'?[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying. I'm not hinting that its OP or not. I think I'd rather have the double jump.

To be honest, it's hard to judge without knowing the mechanics of the weapon.

Had a few good rounds this morning playing medic, led the team at one point as well for points. It was a welcome comeback after not playing the game for a really long time.

And on the scout update, am I reading this right? The sandman even effects ubercharged players?

[quote name='SL4IN']Had a few good rounds this morning playing medic, led the team at one point as well for points. It was a welcome comeback after not playing the game for a really long time.

And on the scout update, am I reading this right? The sandman even effects ubercharged players?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I'd reserve your judgments'till you've played it.

Never played junction, or that other map. Should be interesting.

I've played a little more of arena mode. Some funny crap can happen at the end of rounds. Like a Engy going up against a Soldier, and the engy gets some lucky crits. Or the Engy against a medic and pyro, and he gets a crit wrench on the medic and pyro. Yeeaaaah.

I played against a good scout player today. I did not enjoy it.

i'm having mixed feelings about the sandman thus far (i haven't played either of those two maps, but more maps can't be a bad thing right?).

It sounds pretty balanced with the no double jump and all, but it does seem a LITTLE bit OP, stunning even ubered players. i'm just curious to see if when you're stunned, you can't move/shoot or if you just can't move but can still aim around but with some dizzy effects. I really hope it doesn't become a spammy weapon either.

But i'm reserving judgement until it comes out and i get some time to mess around with it. There are still a lot of unanswered questions. What kind of damage does the sandman do? Does the damage increase when hitting a stunned opponent? How long of an interval is there between hitting baseballs? Is there an ammo count for the balls? We'll find out in less than a week.

What I want to know is why did they take out the grenades because they were too complex but now they're adding in all these fucking unlockables?

bread's done
Back