Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

Maybe we'll get some sort of global competition between soldier and demo, with the winner getting the next update. Doubtful, but it'd be cool.

Edit: Maybe a competition for destroying the most engineer buildings, and then Valve swerves us all and pushes out the engi update.

Looking forward to the new update. Been meaning to start playing again. I haven't played since the first few hours of the scout update. That was an unpleasant experience.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Heh... I think I'll be fine with either class getting the exclusive weapon. But I'm guessing soldier will win since there aren't too many skilled demomen out there to out-kill the soldiers.[/QUOTE]

that'd be a problem if it took skill to kill soldiers as a RED demo on Dbowl or Gold Rush.

If you want to talk about skewing the results towards a side using as little skill as possible, the easiest way has to be to just pick a side you want to win, join the other side, and die as many times as possible.

[quote name='crystalklear64']that sucks. i don't care about which class gets it, i'd care about which weapon was more awesome, and we don't get to see the weapons before hand, so its meh[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure it's the same weapon regardless of which class gets it. I'd imagine it's some joke weapon that has very little effect on the class balance.

well I racked up 40 demo kills tonight. demos probably killed me 20 times or so (couldn't be much more), so I came out ahead for the solly side.

on non-PL and cp maps, the demos usually suck. all of my deaths to demos were on gold rush.

tomorrow: I'll play as demo and die to the soldiers :lol:

I contributed 106 soldier deaths today as demoman. Soldier is still my fav. class of the 2; only reason I'm siding with demoman is because not enough people can play a decent demoman so I think those that stick with demoman as their main class should be rewarded.

[quote name='darthbudge']I definitely hope the Soldier gets this update.[/QUOTE]
Both are getting the update. Thing is that only one class will get an extra item.

[quote name='Tsukento']Both are getting the update. Thing is that only one class will get an extra item.[/QUOTE]

and its sure to be a niche item that wont be worth much in the end

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']and its sure to be a niche item that wont be worth much in the end[/QUOTE]

you say that until my demo is flying around his brand new jetpack :cool:

[quote name='sotc1988']It's a good time to be a spy.[/QUOTE]

This. I play a lot of arena, and having most of the other team only caring about killing the opposite class and not bothering to spy check makes me one happy camper.

In my experience, most pub demos are complete crap on maps w/o chokepoints. KotH_Harvest provides easy demo hunting as soldier. I called it a night after dominating everyone on the opposite team with [DEMOMAN] in their name :p

[quote name='Serik']In my experience, most pub demos are complete crap on maps w/o chokepoints. KotH_Harvest provides easy demo hunting as soldier. I called it a night after dominating everyone on the opposite team with [DEMOMAN] in their name :p[/QUOTE]
You magnificent bastard you. I play as demo when I can but I agree, soldier's already won. I don't care either way. Both of these classes are my least used so this is good practice.

I don't know about playing spy... With all the nades, stickys, rockets, all over the place, even cloaking won't help you. But if it's a big map then yeah.. But the soldier needs a new weapon more than demo. It can get extremely boring play soldier with no unique weapon but a rocket launcher. The shotgun isn't unique because lots of other classes have it. And the shovel just sucks. Demo on the otherhand has a nice grenade launcher and a sticky... launcher. So I'm happy soldier is winning. I'm fighting for him in the war :D

Yet More Updates!

The first two Demo Weapons revealed - http://www.teamfortress.com/demomanupdate/index.htm#item_1
The Comic Continues - http://www.teamfortress.com/war/demo/

For those too lazy to click, the first weapon is a Claymore to replace his Bottle. A killing blow grants decapitation...a decapitation grants you more health and more speed...however, you start out with initially lower health and cannot crit, unless used in conjunction with his next weapon...

Replacing the Sticky Launcher is a Shield. Equipping it provides significant Blast Damange and Fire resistance. Alt-firing allows you to charge forth, moving "faster than a scout can manage". Swinging your claymore during a medium charge grants a mini-crit, and a large-crit to a long charge.

Glad to see what side Valve is on

"Beginning's Luck About To Run Out

World's Easiest Class Ahead
Demoman Outnumbered But Not Outfought"

:cool: fuck solders

Yeah, It's been updated. Here's a complete rundown of all weapons announced thus far...

---Soldier---

the Direct Hit -
Nobody can deny that, measured solely by their ability to blow people into chunky clouds of tomato soup, rockets are an incredible force for good in the world. But with their wide blast radius, they are not a particularly terrific weapon for showing off your sharpshooting skills.

Until now. A high precision version of the standard-issue rocket launcher, the Direct Hit has been engineered from the ground up for Soldiers who have mastered the art of shooting at their targets instead of vaguely near them. Those of you looking to deal splash damage, stop reading now: the Direct Hit has a 70% smaller blast radius than a traditional rocket launcher. But the rockets that come out of this thing move fast and hit hard: 80% faster and with 25% more destructive force. Best of all, for you real sharpshooters, the Direct Hit guarantees mini-crits on airborne targets.
the Equalizer -
Back when your father and grandfather played Team Fortress 2, being bad at the game was so shameful, they would rage-quit (a lengthy, painful process that involved pulling burning coal from the computer’s furnace). Now, thanks to modern-day updates like these, there’s finally a good excuse. You didn’t misread that sentence: losing is now a strategy.

This melee-slot pickaxe becomes more deadly the more damage you take, letting you move faster and hit harder the more wounds you endure. Get close enough to death, and you will become Death himself.
the Buff Banner -
Admit it: Every so often, you suspect you’re carrying your team. But other than rage-quitting, what can you do about it? How about motivating those lazy sons of bitches to put on their war face and fight?

Enter the morale-boosting Buff Banner. When this secondary-slot item is equipped, any damage you deal boosts a rage meter that, when full, lets you pull out your bugle and sound a call to war! For the next 14 seconds, every teammate who rallies round your flag will deal mini-crits.

---Demoman---

the Eyelander -
The Eyelander holds to a principle all one-eyed Scotsmen with no depth perception have known for years: you don’t kill a man by mucking about with rifles, arrows, rocks, or other long-distance rubbish. You kill him by grabbing the biggest bloody sword you can find, running up nice and close to him, and chopping the dumb bastard’s head off.

Made with pattern-welded Damascus steel, this melee-slot weapon offers a guaranteed decapitation with every killing blow. Unfortunately, because it's haunted, it will suck away some of your soul: expect a decrease in your max health at the outset. However, once the blade feeds on neck, you’ll receive a boost in max health and speed. With each new protesting head you cleave (up to four), you’ll get healthier and faster.

The Eyelander will not deal critical hits unless used in conjunction with the Chargin’ Targe’s charge ability.
the Chargin' Targe -
The Chargin’ Targe solves a centuries-old Scottish riddle, which is that shields exist. True, the shield might block the occasional sword blow. However, they are essentially weapons to be used for hiding behind, and this is a concept the average Scotsman does not understand. “If I were to pick up this cowering-plate, I would have to put down my second sword,” a Scotsman thinks. “And surely that is madness.” The Chargin’ Targe solves this riddle by turning the useless shield into a deadly weapon you can run at people with and then bludgeon to death.

The targe replaces your tried-and-true sticky bomb launcher, but offers some unique capabilities in return, especially when used with the Eyelander. Just equipping the Chargin’ Targe provides automatic +50% fire damage resistance and +65% blast damage resistance. But the Chargin’ Targe’s main perk lies in its name. Alt-firing will hurtle you toward an enemy at a punishingly damaging high speed (far faster than a Scout can manage).

Charging also boosts the lethality of your melee weapon. Land a melee hit during a medium length charge and you'll be guaranteed a mini-crit. Land a hit during a long distance charge, and your victim will receive devastating full crit damage.
the Scottish Resistance -
Get your thinking pants on, because the Scottish Resistance is the thinking Demoman's sticky bomb launcher. Trading offensive capability for increased defensive power, the SR can lay down twice as many sticky bombs, as well as destroy enemy sticky bombs.

But hold on, thinking fans—there’s more! The SR lets you detonate specific groups of bombs instead of having to set them off all at once. The SR detonates whichever group of bombs the player is looking at, letting you control which clusters blow, and when. You’ll be able to lay more traps and guard multiple areas at a time.

But all this awesome thinking man stuff comes at a price, just like real thinking. The SR is less useful for air-bursts and close range combat, thanks to longer priming rate (0.4 seconds) per bomb.

And the kill counter for each is getting dangerously close. What're the odds of a tie and both/neither getting the fourth unlock?

Something very interesting.

One of the soldier achievements:
Spray of Defeat
Use a grenade to gib a player.

Grenades... wuuuuuuuuuuuuut!?
Forth unlock is a grenade?

Grenade probably has something to do with a taunt kill.

The Soldier's bugle should prove extremely useful on A/D maps when BLU needs that extra push. Now combine the bugle buff with a sniper who jarates the cap point before the charge and you have some serious ownage.

Yep the demoman is closing the gap in total kills. Right now I don't really care who wins, as I play both classes equally. I will definitely be using the direct hit RL though ^_^

The new sticky launcher looks to have major potential. Double the number of stickys (16)? Imagine how much of a push an uber'd demo could do with that much boom. Interestingly enough, since it also kills other Demo's stickys, the best counter for a SR Demo push is another SR Demo.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Something very interesting.

One of the soldier achievements:
Spray of Defeat

Grenades... wuuuuuuuuuuuuut!?
Forth unlock is a grenade?[/QUOTE]

Saw that... i'm hoping it's the extra weapon that the Soldier will inevitable win...
tf_soldier_spray_of_defeat.jpg

Spray of Defeat

interesting. the direct hit might actually make me play soldier more as ive never got the hang of splash damage. its my least played class right now.

Post on the forums from the guy who came up with the pickaxe, he got an email that detailed the taunt kill. It's for the pickaxe and he pulls out a grenade and kills himself. Smallish radius and average tauntkill speed.

And the Update is live. The winner of the Soldier/Demo War! is
the Soldier!
. For their victory, they win the Gunboots, boots that greatly reduce the damage from explosion jumping.

Full update log
New Content

• Added new control point map Gorge
  • Added new capture the flag map Double Cross
  • Added item crafting
  • Added work-in-progress TF Bots for beta testing in KOTH maps (blog post coming with more info)
  • Added headshot death animations
  • Added more backstab animations

Soldier

• Added 35 new Soldier achievements
  • Added 4 new Soldier items
  • Added new Soldier Domination lines

Demoman

• Added 35 new Demoman achievements
  • Added 3 new Demoman items
  • Added new Demoman Domination lines

Spy

• Now pretends to be carrying the weapons & wearables of the target he's disguised as
  • Moved the Spy's camera-beard to the Misc loadout slot so he can equip it with a hat

Scout

• The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit (when you hear the cheering)
  • All shorter hits now force the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state (also removed the damage reduction on them)

Minor changes

• Added new options to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog:
    • Combat text, which displays damage amounts you do to enemies.
    • Medic auto caller, which automatically shows you nearby friends at low health.
    • Heal target marker, which better highlights the target your medigun is locked onto.
    • Alternative Spy disguise menu, which lets you choose disguises using just the 1-3 keys.
  • Fixed being able to affect friendly pipes with airblast (they would unstick)
  • Added recharge sound to abilities with a recharge bar
  • Fixed attachable wearables not staying on ragdolls
  • Players no longer see the wearables that are a part of a friendly spy's disguise, fixing various graphical glitches
  • Added jiggle bones for Pyro's chicken hat
  • Added 2 new game startup songs

Community Mapmaker requests

• Implemented InputSetSetupTime() for team_round_timer (was in the .fgd but never implemented)
  • Added "SetDispenserLevel" input to cart dispenser (1, 2, or 3)

[quote name='Salamando3000']And the Update is live. The winner of the Soldier/Demo War! is
the Soldier!
. For their victory, they win the Gunboots, boots that greatly reduce the damage from explosion jumping.

Full update log
New Content

• Added new control point map Gorge
  • Added new capture the flag map Double Cross
  • Added item crafting
  • Added work-in-progress TF Bots for beta testing in KOTH maps (blog post coming with more info)
  • Added headshot death animations
  • Added more backstab animations

Soldier

• Added 35 new Soldier achievements
  • Added 4 new Soldier items
  • Added new Soldier Domination lines

Demoman

• Added 35 new Demoman achievements
  • Added 3 new Demoman items
  • Added new Demoman Domination lines

Spy

• Now pretends to be carrying the weapons & wearables of the target he's disguised as
  • Moved the Spy's camera-beard to the Misc loadout slot so he can equip it with a hat

Scout

• The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit (when you hear the cheering)
  • All shorter hits now force the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state (also removed the damage reduction on them)

Minor changes

• Added new options to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog:
    • Combat text, which displays damage amounts you do to enemies.
    • Medic auto caller, which automatically shows you nearby friends at low health.
    • Heal target marker, which better highlights the target your medigun is locked onto.
    • Alternative Spy disguise menu, which lets you choose disguises using just the 1-3 keys.
  • Fixed being able to affect friendly pipes with airblast (they would unstick)
  • Added recharge sound to abilities with a recharge bar
  • Fixed attachable wearables not staying on ragdolls
  • Players no longer see the wearables that are a part of a friendly spy's disguise, fixing various graphical glitches
  • Added jiggle bones for Pyro's chicken hat
  • Added 2 new game startup songs

Community Mapmaker requests

• Implemented InputSetSetupTime() for team_round_timer (was in the .fgd but never implemented)
  • Added "SetDispenserLevel" input to cart dispenser (1, 2, or 3)
[/QUOTE]

They only won due to the bonus points they got from the poster contest :whistle2:#

Crafting Hats is gonna take an insane amount of gameplay (or idling)...3 Weapons = 1 Scrap Metal...3 Scrap = 1 Reclaimed...3 Reclaimed = 1 Refined...3 Refined = 1 Random Hat...

Quite a few glitches out there. I hit a demo milestone and didn't receive a weapon and then in another game everyone got a camera beard when they died as well as a ton of item drops. I hope valve doesn't take away my beard, trumpet, or the boots I randomly got just because they fucked up.

bread's done
Back