Techheads help me with HD problems!

TurkeyOnRye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
So, some background on my problem: I own an RCA R52WH77 Rear-CRT set (I found it on sale a few years ago and I was on a budget, I'll upgrade soon!) Anyway, the set has 2 component and 1 DVI spots. I have my STB hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. According to the manual the set will pick up up to 420p with component and 720p to 1080i over the DVI.

The problem I'm having is as the cable company (Armstrong Cable) expands it's HD listings I can see all of the channels but some have a problem where the picture is stretched vertically to the extreme and there are actually 3 pictures showing on the screen at the same time. It kinda looks like a resolution problem. The channels in question are the local ABC affiliate, the local FOX affiliate, Fox News, A&E, History, FX, ABC Family, Disney, and the ESPNs.

If I need to, I can get a picture of the problem. I've searched all over the net however and it seems like this problem is nowhere else. I even tried just hooking it up through component cables with no go there either.

Any ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you talked with the cable provider and see if they can bring you out a replacement cable box? Since your TV doesn't have a tuner (I'm guessing it doesn't), you can't just hook the coax cable directly up to the TV and see if the issue is the box or the signal.

Also, have you tried other HDMI sources at 480p, 720p and 1080i to see if the issue happens with those sources?

You do realize that with homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently) most mistakes are not from not knowing proper use but from typing quickly and not proofreading right?

And who proofreads their posts on net forums carefully? Not I, since I'm doing some quick posts from the office when needing a short break most of the time.

Point being, no need to be a dick about someone that swaps sell for sale, their for there or they're etc. etc. as the vast majority just type fast and make those kind of typos rather than not knowing proper usage.

Nothing screams "asshole loser" more than grammar nazi nerds on net forums.

OP, are you saying that some HD channels work and some don't? Were these channels working before or were they always messed up once they added them?
[quote name='dmaul1114']You do realize that with homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently) most mistakes are not from not knowing proper use but from typing quickly and not proofreading right?

And who proofreads their posts on net forums carefully? Not I, since I'm doing some quick posts from the office when needing a short break most of the time.

Point being, no need to be a dick about someone that swaps sell for sale, their for there or they're etc. etc. as the vast majority just type fast and make those kind of typos rather than not knowing proper usage.

Nothing screams "asshole loser" more than grammar nazi nerds on net forums.[/QUOTE]

Iroooonnnyyy.

Oh, and sell and sale don't sound alike, they aren't homophones.

What model cable box do you have? Can you ask your provider to give you instructions on how to get to the cable box settings when it is in either bypass or standby mode? This should give you the options to set output resolution, sound output and what not physically on the box instead of while it's on through the default settings. I've dealt with and installed a few Comcast and Cablevision boxes and both had to be in bypass mode, then I hit some combination of buttons either on the box or on the remote simultaneously; usually Menu and Settings or Menu and power, something like that. See if you can get in that way and adjust the output of your video to correct the problem. Hope this helps a little.

I actually fixed the problem not too long after I posted. The TV itself can't be switched from one resolution to another, it's an automatic thing. The problem was with the cable box itself. I delved a bit deeper into the Pace STB and found how to get into the service menu. The box pushes 720p over 1080i, and even though my TV *should* pick up a correct 720p signal, it doesn't. I just had to tell the STB through the service menu that the TV doesn't pick up 720p and viola, it was back to 1080i for those channels. I'll figure out the 720p problem later, when I start to care again.

The TV does have an internal digital tuner and we use it occasionally because that signal is actually better sometimes for the local affiliates. I did actually try that.

Oh, and I do know the difference between "sell" and "sale." dmaul1114 was correct, it was a quick post that I didn't proof read because I worked the midnight shift last night, was up most of the day, and have to work again. But, since he's being all bitchy, I edited the first post. Ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back