Technical help with an OS install :( (XP MCE)

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I keep getting this ridiculous error when trying to install Windows MCE:

1214060001xg5.jpg

I have tried cleaning the laser on my DVD drive, and I can't seem to get past this no matter what I do. Anyone have any advice or ideas?

[quote name='Diiz']I keep getting this ridiculous error when trying to install Windows MCE:

1214060001xg5.jpg

I have tried cleaning the laser on my DVD drive, and I can't seem to get past this no matter what I do. Anyone have any advice or ideas?[/QUOTE]Well, I'll tell you this, my copy of Windows simply would not install. It would constantly lock up in the middle. I ended up downloading a torrent of the OS disc and just using the serial key. Worked fine that way, so I guess MS doesn't bother to test their discs or something. Whatever it is, it got fixed through technically illegal means.

[quote name='Diiz']I keep getting this ridiculous error when trying to install Windows MCE:
[snipped pic]
I have tried cleaning the laser on my DVD drive, and I can't seem to get past this no matter what I do. Anyone have any advice or ideas?[/quote]

I have seen this when the CD/DVD was dirty or damaged. I have also seen it when installing Windows on drives with bad sectors.

Check the HDD. Open up eventvwr and see if there are any disk errors in the System log. Or maybe even a read-only CHKDSK to see what it finds.

Oy, that would suck if it was a bad drive sector... it's a brand new Seagate SATA drive :(

jmcc, I guess that's an option =/ Maybe I'll look into it...

Most likely a bad CD/DVD drive. I run into this issue from time to time with the machines I deal with at work, and swapping out the drive always fixes it, if the disc works OK to copy all the files on another PC.

How would I go about testing the disc on another PC without screwing up my current OS? All I have is my crappy laptop. I'm pretty bad with software =3

Just out of curiosity have you tried cleaning the CD itself, i know it seems obvious and you have probably done it, but still worth mentioning on the off chance. :)

Yeah, I don't really have anything good for cleaning discs, but this one is brand new straight from Newegg, not a flaw on it.

[quote name='Diiz']Yeah, I don't really have anything good for cleaning discs, but this one is brand new straight from Newegg, not a flaw on it.[/quote]

Thats cool, just a shot in the dark. You be surpised how many people have problems from using bad discs. :)

[quote name='Diiz']Oy, that would suck if it was a bad drive sector... it's a brand new Seagate SATA drive :(

jmcc, I guess that's an option =/ Maybe I'll look into it...[/quote]

The Barracuda? I have gone through a number of the 80 gig and 120 gig SATAs at work. I thought we just got a bad batch, and some were problems right out of the box and had to be RMA'd.

I had a drive that was damaged and that came up on the screen. That means that whatever data is needed to install windows ( all those bin files ) is not loading to the Hard Drive.

Is the Hard Drvie formated?

Is it a big Hard Drive and you need a special ATA reader or something like that?

You should also check that when your HArd Drive is loaded you can see the full space or the formated image you made.

It is probably the drive and it miht be damaged run a scandisk and let it tell you if you have any bad areas.

Also it might just be the format and you have to format again.

Well, oddly enough I was able to rip Disc 1 and install the OS with the burned copy... go figure. However, now when I get to the login screen it asks for a password, which I never even set. Additionally, when I just click to bypass that I get an error:

The system cannot log you in due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or consult your system administrator

I don't even know what that means... It hasn't been a good night :lol:

bread's done
Back