Tecmo Bowl Throwback League Disbanded

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's anything like other CAG leagues, there won't be a specific night. You'll have several days to a week to play each week on the schedule. I'm not sure how Pac is doing it, though.

Just depends on how many people join. I dont see a rush to race through the league but I cannot picture games taking too long to play. Maybe 1-2 games tops a week.

Zforce, please post your gamertag. If the league is small, people can choose what teams they want to be. If alot of people join, there is going to be a team draft.

[quote name='Matt Young']I would have called dibs on the Packers, but we're doing a draft for teams.[/QUOTE]

You have to remember it's the 1991 team. Favre was on the Falcons.

[quote name='eastx']I would want the Cowboys if given a choice. Oilers - second choice. ~ ~[/QUOTE]

Please post your gamertag and it's a team draft.

I'm in. n8rocker82. And I'm begging...nobody take the Bills. This game is like the only freaking time I can choose them and actually stand a chance, haha. How sad is that?

[quote name='wildcpac']You have to remember it's the 1991 team. Favre was on the Falcons.[/QUOTE]

I hate Brett Favre. And that's not right, anyway. The rosters are from 1993: http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/04/20/tecmo-bowl-throwback-out-next-week

But yeah, if we're not doing a draft, teams should be chosen based on the order in which people joined.

[quote name='eastx']My Gamertag's right on my profile and in my signature. EastX, baby.[/QUOTE]

Your signature didn't show up in either of your posts, Paulie. :p

Just updated the op. Please post 1st and 2nd team preferences in case the league is small and there isn't a team draft. If most-all of the spots are filled than there will be a team draft.

Are we going in order of signup if we don't do a draft? I do want to be the packers, even if they sucked back then. They're still my team.

1. Green Bay
2. San Francisco

[quote name='Matt Young']Are we going in order of signup if we don't do a draft? I do want to be the packers, even if they sucked back then. They're still my team.

1. Green Bay
2. San Francisco[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I am 99.999 percent sure it's going to be a team draft because interest has been pretty high for the first half hour. If the league is only 10-12 people than it will be first come first serve.

That being said I pick the Giants.

[quote name='Matt Young']I thought you said to pick 2 teams.[/QUOTE]

Yeah for a couple of reasons. If the league is 10 people and 2 people want to be the 49'ers, as their top 2 they can work out who wants it. I can also get a feel on who wants to be what teams by posting their top 2 preferences. If 30 people have 30 different 2nd teams wished for than something could be worked out where everybody could get 1 of their top 2 picks without having to do a draft.

My tag is JStryker416. May15th won't work at all for me as mentioned (the day of moving). Not sure what my internet situation will look like though at the beginning of the season though.

I'd call dibs on the Dolphins to get to play as Marino, but so much for that idea. ;)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wait the ESPN article I linked to with an interview with the producer said the rosters were based on 91 so it still had Bo Jackson, so which is it?![/QUOTE]

Bo Jack will be in the game, he just won't be called Bo Jack (because of the NFL license with EA).

Honestly, I'm curious how exact the rosters will even be since everything is supposed to be customizable. I mean, first of all, aren't there supposed to be 32 teams...like the present day NFL? (I'm pretty sure that was initially reported, but neither the pastapadre or ESPN article mentions it) Back when the game came out, there were only 28. If so, this means 4 teams should essentially have completely made up rosters. If they're really aiming at leaving the rosters exactly the same as in the old game, I can't imagine them adding teams that didn't exist back then. That would just seem counter-productive.

Yeah, I didn't think of that myself. I couldn't remember the amount of teams back then (as I was really young when Tecmo Bowl first released), but I was curious how the Texans roster was going to work out.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Pure Apathy
1. Lions
2. Bears[/QUOTE]

I know the Lions won the division in '93, but you're forsaking your own team in favor of a division rival? Come on, now.

[quote name='Matt Young']I know the Lions won the division in '93, but you're forsaking your own team in favor of a division rival? Come on, now.[/QUOTE]

Barry Sanders man. If Walter was in the game I'd go with the Bears no doubt. Too bad this game doesn't have the NES rosters.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Barry Sanders man. If Walter was in the game I'd go with the Bears no doubt. Too bad this game doesn't have the NES rosters.[/QUOTE]

I see. I'd like to amend my previous team choices, since no one seems to know what year the rosters are based on. Half the sites I checked say '91 and half say '93. I'm still sticking with Green Bay as my #1, even though they went 4-12 in '91 and 9-7 in '93. But anyway:

1991 Rosters:

1. Green Bay
2. San Francisco

1993 Rosters:

1. Green Bay
2. Washington

[quote name='Matt Young']
Your signature didn't show up in either of your posts, Paulie. :p[/QUOTE]

CAG only shows sigs in the first post on every page. So my signature is on that page, just not on every post.

[quote name='JStryke']Bo Jack will be in the game, he just won't be called Bo Jack (because of the NFL license with EA).[/QUOTE]

I know this. There is a question as to what year the rosters are based on. The ESPN interview I linked to references the 91 roster, but the pastapadre article seems to think it's the 93 rosters (Bo was out of the league after that injury in the playoffs against the Bengals by then.)

We know that the game is a direct port of the SNES version in terms of functionality, just don't know if the rosters are based off 91, 93, or just random.

The team names in this game are so awesome:

Rocket Conference

Amazing

* Los Angeles Rockets
* New York City Apes
* Seattle Space Ants
* Philadelphia Dynamos

Paintbrush

* Buffalo Burgers
* San Antonio Charmers
* Detroit Gongs
* Memphis Violence

Wonder

* Quebec Thrashers
* St. Louis Seahorses
* Hawaii Dolphins
* Florida Fairies

Nightmare

* Charlotte Zephyrs
* Carolina Ladybugs
* Oakland Dragonflies
* Miami Honey

Turbo

* San Diego Werewolves
* Atlanta Clocks
* Indianapolis Brawlers
* Cleveland Crocodiles

Siren

* Green Bay Apple Pies
* Kentucky Toenails
* Chicago Scorpions
* Winnipeg Flapjacks

Woodland

* Rochester Radishes
* New England Torches
* Milwaukee Storms
* Indiana Nuts

Cactus

* Vancouver Sleds
* Calgary Pluckers
* Colorado Burners
* Iowa Gallopers

Hero

* Oaxaca Turtles
* Seoul Apples
* Rome Tigers
* Moscow Dragons

Life

* Saskatchewan Lions
* Stuttgart Pizzazz
* Cairo Pharaohs
* Nairobi Hippos

Banzai

* Akranes Shooters
* Sao Paulo Sunblocks
* Barcelona Bisons
* Sydney Sharks

R Extra

* John Glenn Eagles
* Deimon Devil Bats
* The RC Wildcats
* S.N.K. Superstars

[edit] Star Conference

Neon Sign

* Boston Rebels
* Anaheim Stars
* Dallas Condors
* Houston Fighters

Cookie

* Utah Belles
* Kansas City Hot Dogs
* Cincinnati Volcanoes
* Toronto Ducks

Evil

* San Jose Unicorns
* Hartford Ice Hawks
* Nebraska Nibbles
* Texas Sea Lions

Sparkling

* Jacksonville Lanterns
* New Orleans Bobcats
* Washington Buzzards
* Tampa Bay Flyers

Nitro

* Baltimore Dashers
* San Francisco Bumblebees
* Phoenix Kebabs
* Minnesota Oceans

Sky

* Tennessee Oil Slicks
* Denver Shadows
* Montreal Anteaters
* Portland Prisoners

Metro

* New Jersey Olives
* Pittsburgh Camels
* Foxboro Bolts
* Golden State Crystals

Swamp

* Ottawa Otters
* Edmonton Antidotes
* Tulsa Tulips
* Columbus Cabbages

Legend

* Beijing Pandas
* Tokyo Frogs
* Kiev Donuts
* Paris Targets

Death

* Amsterdam Jackrabbits
* London Lighters
* Jubail Rhinos
* Mumbai Elephants

Flambé

* Glasgow MoonHawks
* Taipei Shots
* Auckland Minnows
* Dublin Leprechauns

S Extra

* SOS Brigade
* Cerritos Falcons
* Capcom Cuties
* The SC Bulldogs

Uhhh...maybe I'm looking at things wrong, but doesn't that indicate 96 teams? lol. WTF??? All right, trying to make sense of it, if you look for only the city name, there seems to be 26 teams that share the same name as a team that was in TSB. There are no duplicates, so this doesn't account for having 2 Los Angeles teams and 2 New York teams.

I'm really starting to wonder if the rosters are even going to reflect anything close to what the game had. The closest question somebody asked was "My Detroit running back?" and the response was "He's still there". At face value, of course Detroit is still going to have a running back. But it doesn't mean it's supposed to be Barry Sanders.
Below is my best guess at how the teams line up...if they actually do at all.

AFC East

Buffalo Burgers (Bills)
Indianapolis Brawlers (Colts)
Miami Honey (Dolphins)
New England Torches (Patriots)
New Jersey Olives (Jets)

AFC Central
Cincinnati Volcanoes (Bengals)
Cleveland Crocodiles (Browns)
Houston Fighters or Tennessee Oil Slicks (Oilers...2nd team looks obvious, but doesn't follow my naming theory)
Pittsburgh Camels (Steelers)

AFC West

Denver Shadows (Broncos)
Kansas City Hot Dogs (Chiefs)
Los Angeles Rockets (Raiders)
San Diego Werewolves (Chargers)
Seattle Space Ants (Seahawks)

NFC East
Dallas Condors (Cowboys)
New York City Apes (Giants)
Philadelphia Dynamos (Eagles)
Phoenix Kebabs (Cardinals)
Washington Buzzards (Redskins)

NFC Central

Chicago Scorpions (Bears)
Detroit Gongs (Lions)
Green Bay Apple Pies (Packers)
Minnesota Oceans (Vikings)
Tampa Bay Flyers (Buccaneers)

NFC West
Atlanta Clocks (Falcons)
New Orleans Bobcats (Saints)
San Francisco Bumblebees (49ers)
St. Louis Seahorse (Rams)

Scheduling is always the roughest part of this, but I'll give it a try. My best availability is between 8-10pm CST, but I can try to get on earlier like around 7. No guarantees I won't be eating dinner and watching Netflix at that time though. ;)

I'd prefer Chicago, but also could go Denver.

XBL: Stabby Pete

Well, it's the only list we've got. And usually, any bullshit updates- especially of such large size- get edited soon after being posted.

I curse you Matt Young! You're going to steal my Packers! That's right my Packers!

GT is ZForce915

Team preference:

Packers
49ers

Well, I will admit that you are probably a bigger fan than I am and likely have been a fan longer. I mean, I love the Packers... but you are from Green Bay, and I'm from central Illinois. Also, I only watched the Super Bowl till the 1995 season, when I started watching regular season games. I became a Packers fan because, from seeing them in Super Bowls, I always hated the Cowboys.

Both of you picked the Packers/49'ers as your top two wishes. So if we dont have a team draft (small league) fight amongst yourselves to choose who gets the Packers.

[quote name='Matt Young']Well, I will admit that you are probably a bigger fan than I am and likely have been a fan longer. I mean, I love the Packers... but you are from Green Bay, and I'm from central Illinois. Also, I only watched the Super Bowl till the 1995 season, when I started watching regular season games. I became a Packers fan because, from seeing them in Super Bowls, I always hated the Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

If you kept with them after they won their Super Bowl and are still a fan today, you're good in my book. The bandwagon followers during the Holmgren days were really annoying. Good for the franchise, but as a fan listening to them pretend to know football is hard to listen to.

[quote name='wildcpac']Both of you picked the Packers/49'ers as your top two wishes. So if we dont have a team draft (small league) fight amongst yourselves to choose who gets the Packers.[/QUOTE]

I propose an American Gladiators joust-style event.

[quote name='wildcpac']Both of you picked the Packers/49'ers as your top two wishes. So if we dont have a team draft (small league) fight amongst yourselves to choose who gets the Packers.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did say that if it was based on 1993 rosters, my second choice would be Washington instead.

[quote name='ZForce915']If you kept with them after they won their Super Bowl and are still a fan today, you're good in my book. The bandwagon followers during the Holmgren days were really annoying. Good for the franchise, but as a fan listening to them pretend to know football is hard to listen to.

I propose an American Gladiators joust-style event.[/QUOTE]

I'm on board for the jousting thing. And yeah, I've remained a fan and I have watched almost every game. We maybe get 4 regular season packers games out here per season, and I cannot afford Sunday Ticket, but I watch online. It sucks that the games come on so early, though- 10 A.M. here, usually.

How should we handle ties? Tiebreaker 1 Head to head? 2. Point differential 3. Most points scored in the season?

How about ties for the last playoff spot? Same 3 as above or 1 game playoff?

[quote name='Matt Young']Well, I did say that if it was based on 1993 rosters, my second choice would be Washington instead.

I'm on board for the jousting thing. And yeah, I've remained a fan and I have watched almost every game. We maybe get 4 regular season packers games out here per season, and I cannot afford Sunday Ticket, but I watch online. It sucks that the games come on so early, though- 10 A.M. here, usually.[/QUOTE]

It's ok, I'll forfeit the Packers to you since you got in first. I'll just trounce you when our game comes along. :D

[quote name='ZForce915']It's ok, I'll forfeit the Packers to you since you got in first. I'll just trounce you when our game comes along. :D[/QUOTE]

you two should have a one game playoff for the team.

I'm likely going to get this game and might be up for a CAG league. Probably I'd most like to just play one off online games with CAGs, though.

League so far.

Gamertag and Team

DestroVega--------------------LA Raiders
Ripthejacker80---------------San Diego
Zforce915----------------------San Fran
XMattYoungX------------------Green Bay
Millertime2325----------------Cleveland
StabbyPete--------------------Chicago
n8rocker82--------------------- Buffalo
Jstryker416--------------------Miami
IIIHydroxIII---------------------Denver
PureApathy-------------------Detroit