Tecmo Bowl Throwback League Disbanded

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually been playing in 3D since playing in 2D only reminds me of how much better Tecmo Super Bowl (NES Edition) was than the SNES counterpart.

I had to go with the hometown team. Man, my Bears are bad in this version. There's been a few times already where I had the perfect defense called and they still somehow got the pass away and completed. I'm just hoping I can get the two online achievements from this and accept what may be a cruddy record after that.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I've actually been playing in 3D since playing in 2D only reminds me of how much better Tecmo Super Bowl (NES Edition) was than the SNES counterpart.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you've got some weird ass opinions. It looks virtually identical. The only thing that really bothers me is the team colors being wrong...but it's like that in 3D also.

Also, I'm still waiting for the "It's not as good as Madden" comment considering how critical people are being of a 17 year old game.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just checked the emulated version of the game, and they are called "AFC ALL STARS" and "NFC ALL STARS".

EDIT - Also, one interesting thing I noticed, the GameFAQs roster chart has "#0 - QB Chiefs" listed for Kansas City, like it was in the original game. But that SHOULD be Joe Montana. Montana was traded to the Chiefs in April of '93. The rosters are accurate as of August 16, 1993. However, Marcus Allen is nowhere to be found, even though he signed with the Chiefs in June of '93.[/QUOTE]

I believe the rosters were set before that signing, leaving him out of the game. You raise a good question though, do you replace QB Chiefs with the real player or keep it like the original?

[quote name='ZForce915']I believe the rosters were set before that signing, leaving him out of the game. You raise a good question though, do you replace QB Chiefs with the real player or keep it like the original?[/QUOTE]

Uhh...read what you quoted again, lol. "Rosters are accurate as of August 16th, 1993". It says that when the game starts up. Last time I checked June comes before August. As for Montana, I'm putting who the player is supposed to be in my rosters. I could care less whether or not they were in the NFLPA at the time. I think the only other player I came across in that situation is "QB Vikings"...which should be Jim McMahon.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Dude, you've got some weird ass opinions. It looks virtually identical. The only thing that really bothers me is the team colors being wrong...but it's like that in 3D also.[/QUOTE]

That qualifies as weird ass opinions? Ooooooooooooook.

I personally liked the cutscenes, the music, sound fx, etc of the NES edition over the SNES one. Deal with it. They are similar in nature, but not the same.

I haven't gone too much into the stat tracking yet, but I want to see if it keeps track of as many categories as the NES edition did.

[youtube][/youtube]

[quote name='dkreegz515']anyone get the 60 yard field goal achievo? if so what team did you use?[/QUOTE]

Use New Orleans or Kansas City. Morten Andersen and Nick Lowery have the strongest legs in the game. Obviously, you'll want to get the ball to your opponent's 43 yard line to make the kick 60 yards.

Might as well field this one (no pun intended) as well. For the Kick Return achievement, your best bet is Atlanta (Deion Sanders) or Pittsburgh (Rod Woodson). They've got the top maximum speed in the game.

tried the demo.. pretty fun..

hows the team edit feature.. can we download the created info or we have to edit everything ourselves?

and from reading posts.. it seems that its based on 93 rosters.. damn. kinda wished for current day players but w.e

[quote name='dkreegz515']anyone get the 60 yard field goal achievo? if so what team did you use?[/QUOTE]

Just got it now with the Saints. Took two games and about 8 fg attempts. Just get the ball and run it out around the 42/43 yard line of the other team. That should put the ball right behind the 50 yard line when you go for the attempt.

Right after I kicked the ball and before the game shows it going through the achievement prompt came up so I knew it was going to be good before it went through the up rights.

[quote name='guyver2077']tried the demo.. pretty fun..

hows the team edit feature.. can we download the created info or we have to edit everything ourselves?[/QUOTE]

You can only edit player names and team names. Cannot edit colors, logos or player stats.

With a Keyboard and the gamefaqs list I guess it will take no more than an hour tops to edit every player.

[quote name='guyver2077']o ok.. sucks.. i was hoping they would let us edit everything..

so worth the $10?[/QUOTE]

Well I probably put in 10 hours of gameplay between yesterday and today so thats 1 dollar per hour. Game is alot of fun but lacking in some fields. I think my playtime will decrease by the weekend but with the Cag league that should be another 10-20 hours of gameplay for the next 2 months or so. 30 hours of FUN gameplay for 10 bucks? Must buy.

And when I say lacking in some fields, I mean stat tracking, edit uniform colors, online leagues and franchises.

I am probably going to get this, but haven't had a chance to try the demo. I will tonight and will buy it if I like it. Anyway, I'm just putting the word out that I will be interested in playing in the CAG league if I end up buying the game. I don't care what team. One of whatever is left!

[quote name='crunchewy']I am probably going to get this, but haven't had a chance to try the demo. I will tonight and will buy it if I like it. Anyway, I'm just putting the word out that I will be interested in playing in the CAG league if I end up buying the game. I don't care what team. One of whatever is left![/QUOTE]

Game is a lot of fun. Raiders are still available and they have Tim Brown as an impact WR. League sign up is going to end on Saturday morning so I can work out the 16 game schedule for each team and have it ready by Sunday.

[quote name='guyver2077']tried the demo.. pretty fun..

hows the team edit feature.. can we download the created info or we have to edit everything ourselves?

and from reading posts.. it seems that its based on 93 rosters.. damn. kinda wished for current day players but w.e[/QUOTE]

Team Edit works, but I feel there are too many prompts...the process could be made to go faster.

There aren't 93 teams, it is just the same as the SNES version. The players play just like the SNES version just with different names.

[quote name='wildcpac']You can only edit player names and team names. Cannot edit colors, logos or player stats.

With a Keyboard and the gamefaqs list I guess it will take no more than an hour tops to edit every player.[/QUOTE]

Really? It took me quite a while to edit just the Packers.

[quote name='ZForce915']Really? It took me quite a while to edit just the Packers.[/QUOTE]

Were you using a keyboard and the gamefaqs link? That link has the depth chart perfect compared to that in the game.

[quote name='wildcpac']Were you using a keyboard and the gamefaqs link? That link has the depth chart perfect compared to that in the game.[/QUOTE]

My keyboard wasn't working but I was able to use my chatpad pretty effectively. The reason it seemed to take longer was the need to push "A" between everything. And every time a name is longer than 13 characters they need to prompt you again. After a couple of edits I think they should assume you know the drill.

Do you think there will be an opportunity to get a save game file with the roster edits on it? Should we even be wasting our time?

I'm upset that this game doesn't have play by play commentary. Also there are too many late hits. I find it to be not in the spirit of football, and the referees do a poor job limiting all the tom foolery after the whistle. I expect the next edition of this game to have player fines and multi-game suspensions.

If you think I'm joking, you would be correct. I'm just trying to slip this by with all the other fucking retarded complaints that people are making about the game not having things that Madden has.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'm upset that this game doesn't have play by play commentary. Also there are too many late hits. I find it to be not in the spirit of football, and the referees do a poor job limiting all the tom foolery after the whistle. I expect the next edition of this game to have player fines and multi-game suspensions.

If you think I'm joking, you would be correct. I'm just trying to slip this by with all the other fucking retarded complaints that people are making about the game not having things that Madden has.
[/QUOTE]

Who is here is complaining about gameplay? I just stated that I hope the "sequel" if there is one has some more bells and whistles in terms of modes. I would spend 1600 points for franchise, online franchise/season etc

[quote name='wildcpac']Who is here is complaining about gameplay? I just stated that I hope the "sequel" if there is one has some more bells and whistles in terms of modes. I would spend 1600 points for franchise, online franchise/season etc[/QUOTE]

No, I wasn't singling you out. I was just surprised at the expectations people had for this game. And I feel like there's a stark contrast between people who grew up on it and would have been happy with a straight port even without online play...strictly for nostalgic reasons. And then the people who are viewing this as just another football game who wish it did X, or had more Y, or whatever.

If they just added in a bunch of things that never were in the original game, at some point it stops being "Tecmo Super Bowl" and just becomes a brand new game. I guess there are some people who wanted that, but I don't really get it. With Madden, NCAA, Blitz, All-Pro Football, Doug Williams BCFX, and the new Backbreaker game...do we really need another random modern football game? I just feel like there's a huge market for exactly what this game is. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. And honestly, my post was satire more than anything (and a bit of an inside joke with Pure Apathy).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']If they just added in a bunch of things that never were in the original game, at some point it stops being "Tecmo Super Bowl" and just becomes a brand new game. I guess there are some people who wanted that, but I don't really get it. With Madden, NCAA, Blitz, All-Pro Football, Doug Williams BCFX, and the new Backbreaker game...do we really need another random modern football game? I just feel like there's a huge market for exactly what this game is. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. And honestly, my post was satire more than anything (and a bit of an inside joke with Pure Apathy).[/QUOTE]

Bingo! I don't buy football games, watch football games, or follow any teams, but I bought this day one on the fact that it was a game that my group of friends played together back in the day. It's simple and I don't have to have any training as a football coach to play. It's good as is in my book.

Hmmm, I'm thinking about this. I guess I should've jumped in earlier with the Jets. I'm going to try the demo out now though because as shameful as this is to say has no recollection of playing this game as a kid but maybe the memories will flood back hhah.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']No, I wasn't singling you out. I was just surprised at the expectations people had for this game. And I feel like there's a stark contrast between people who grew up on it and would have been happy with a straight port even without online play...strictly for nostalgic reasons. And then the people who are viewing this as just another football game who wish it did X, or had more Y, or whatever.

If they just added in a bunch of things that never were in the original game, at some point it stops being "Tecmo Super Bowl" and just becomes a brand new game. I guess there are some people who wanted that, but I don't really get it. With Madden, NCAA, Blitz, All-Pro Football, Doug Williams BCFX, and the new Backbreaker game...do we really need another random modern football game? I just feel like there's a huge market for exactly what this game is. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. And honestly, my post was satire more than anything (and a bit of an inside joke with Pure Apathy).[/QUOTE]

Because it could be profitable if they offer modern features with old school gameplay. They do not have to really work/spend money on graphics, sound, music, play by play. They do not have to spend money on getting the NFL License and NFLPA. A $20 buck price point with color editor, player editor, more stats, franchise and league play could be a pretty big rival for those who are sick of Madden.

If this game is successful where do they go from here for a sequel?

SOLD! Haha, this is a lot of fun. I do recall this game, but didn't play it as much as I'm sure some of you have. I imagine it's a pretty small learning curve though. Poking around to find a team now..

[quote name='wildcpac']Because it could be profitable if they offer modern features with old school gameplay. They do not have to really work/spend money on graphics, sound, music, play by play. They do not have to spend money on getting the NFL License and NFLPA. A $20 buck price point with color editor, player editor, more stats, franchise and league play could be a pretty big rival for those who are sick of Madden.[/QUOTE]

Ehh...I disagree. I think trying to compete with Madden would be a huge mistake. I don't think this game was really released to entice new customers. They already said they didn't want to allow people to edit player ratings because it would be exploited to all hell (and it would be).

More stats...it has what the original game has. This shouldn't be a complaint for anybody familiar with the original game. If you bought this on a blind buy, that's your own fault. Franchise, I really don't see the point. What do you need that you can't get from the already way ahead of its time season mode? Online leagues...eh, not really necessary, and would just jack up the price. Hell, Madden didn't even have that until a couple years ago. I will give you the color editor though. I do wish they would have allowed us to correct the team uniforms...but who knows where the legal issues were drawn with this game.

And as I said, adding a bunch of new features would turn off a lot of fans of the original game...which I believe is the target audience. But hey, we can agree to disagree. It wouldn't be the first time.

Which LA team is which? I assume one is the Raiders and one is the, umm Rams? I'l take the (I assume based on the color and skill) the Raiders. The black/silver team with the wolf on the helmet. Thanks.

[quote name='ubernes']Which LA team is which? I assume one is the Raiders and one is the, umm Rams? I'l take the (I assume based on the color and skill) the Raiders. The black/silver team with the wolf on the helmet. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Raiders are right after the Chiefs, Broncos. Rams are bunched in with the 49ers, Falcons and Saints.

[quote name='wildcpac']Raiders are right after the Chiefs, Broncos. Rams are bunched in with the 49ers, Falcons and Saints.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so Raiders it is. Thanks.

gamertag = broadway row

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone have a name list for everyone in the game? or are you guys just looking at the 1993 rosters and guessing?

I was going to do some renaming.

So yeah I was playing with n8rocker last night and on one play he clearly ran out of bounds but quickly came back in and wasn't ruled out. I wasn't able to challenge the play either which is total BS.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']So yeah I was playing with n8rocker last night and on one play he clearly ran out of bounds but quickly came back in and wasn't ruled out. I wasn't able to challenge the play either which is total BS.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you won that 2nd game on a missed extra point. Clearly, I was trying to go for a 2 point conversion. WTF Tecmo???

Also, WHERE ARE MY AUDIBLES?!?! What? No hot routes? This game is a piece of shit!

For those who still want to join, the league can only take 2 at a time now. There are 22 spots already filled so we have to keep it even.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hey, you won that 2nd game on a missed extra point. Clearly, I was trying to go for a 2 point conversion. WTF Tecmo???

Also, WHERE ARE MY AUDIBLES?!?! What? No hot routes? This game is a piece of shit![/QUOTE]

Yeah those are all valid complaints. I was also pissed when I realized I wasn't able to press up on the right stick to truck over people.

I saw someone complaining about no turbo button in the game too, but I think Tecmo was smart copying EA's NHL '09-10 series by not having a turbo button.

[quote name='hufferstl']Anyone else annoyed by the grey bar at the bottom of the playfield? I hope they can get rid of that with a patch.[/QUOTE]

I'm annoyed that the playfield does not have sponsor logos on it. I was really hoping for a Doritos logo or an ad that tells me what time Bones comes on. Hopefully that can be patched in.

Ok so i just played my first ranked online game...

I'm the 49ers, up 13-7 and I need to punt deep in my own territory with 33 seconds left.

Houston (no slouch of a team) receives the ball and sets up shotgun for what could be a hail mary attempt............where instead the kid run into the back of the endzone, and quits the game to avoid a loss.

So I write him just one word, "weak"... he then writes me back saying I'm a pussy and that's why I picked the 49ers, to where I responded "I'll truck you with any team, keep quitting though"...

He then writes me back saying he didn't quit, but that he got booted back to the dashboard... lol

I just wrote back hahaha

So yeah, this game needs a loss with quitting patch. Quitting a game like that, especially where he could have attempted a play that works a fair amount of time in this game, is flat out retarded.

My only other complaint is that after realizing there is a 2D mode, which is actually what the game should be period, fuck the 3D shit, the 2D is really narrow on the screen... they could have at least widened it out widescreen with the same graphics. Mega Man 10 learned from 9's mistake and gave you filled in graphics instead of black bars... just widescreen the damn thing.

Yeah in my eyes the online is completely broken. I had one person quit on me and I'll never play another game with someone I don't know until they fix that.

*sigh* this happens so often on XBL...I think people that quit on games should be banned from the game for a week. Like a three strikes and you're out policy.

[quote name='ZForce915']Yeah in my eyes the online is completely broken. I had one person quit on me and I'll never play another game with someone I don't know until they fix that.

*sigh* this happens so often on XBL...I think people that quit on games should be banned from the game for a week. Like a three strikes and you're out policy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

This game is going to be filled with online pussies who can't take a loss. I had one quitter already when I went up 11. One was a loss and the guy was cool, one person got lucky to win 7-3 on a late TD when I was all over defense and wrote a shitty message to me.

This is why I hate online gaming. Bag of dicks on the internet.

Well, If anyone wants to play a non-dick game against me tomorrow I'd be up for it. Never played against a human in this game so it could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back