Tell me of

PhantomaZero

CAGiversary!
Some good films. I have a two week break coming up and a Netflix account and there's a lot of stuff I haven't seen (I'm going to be checking out the Kill Bill movies for starters.) I plan to plow through as many as I can each day. TV shows aren't off limits either. Have at it!

Goodfellas, The Godfather, Scarface, Superbad, Clerks, Dogma, The Usual Suspects, City of God, Sin City, Pulp Fiction, The Dreamers

[quote name='Liquid 2']Tetsuo, the Iron Man

I dare you.[/QUOTE]

second that one. 6 lines if dialog and one fucked up story makes up to be tied for my favorite film of all time and its the perfect example to show that cyberpunk can be done well on film (outside of Blade Runner). Hell, check out all of Shinya Tsukamoto's films. dude is the real deal. I worn out quite a few copies of this on VHS over the years, its a classic to throw up on a screen behind a DJ. Just wish the new dvd came with the The Drummer short (has nothing to do with Tetsuo or Shinya but fuck was that a great short....can't find it anywhere else except for the original us vhs release)

And if you dig it, check out Pinocchio 964 and the prqeual Rubber's Lover (don't watch Rubber's Lover first, kinda kills a few cool tidbits that you find out in Pinocchio 964)

Matango aka Attack Of The Mushroom People - one of Ishiro Honda's best films and highly overlooked

The Yakuza Papers - if you dig The Godfather, you will love this series (and frankly, I find it to be better than the Godfather). Can't lie though, its hard to watch another yakuza film afterwards as they never seem to stack up to these masterpieces

Bloody Reunion - fun little Thai horror film

Dog Bite Dog - my favorite film of 2006 that just got a great US release. Pure and unadulterated action with some seriously brutal scenes. fucking marvelous film

which leads me to
Man Bites Dog - if you haven't seen this before, you really need to. Nice satire on reality tv with one off the wall ending. Way ahead of its time

best recent movie you probably haven't seen: HOT FUZZ

edit: Unless you want a romantic drama, then I second Magehart's 2girls1cup

I always wanted to see Testuo. Sucks that my video shop doesn't carry it. There's one movie that I forgot to order during the DD sale.

The Wizard.

80s Cheesy movies FTW!

to add to the list of movies:
Kung Fu Hustle
Knocked Up
Sideways
Borne Series
Lady Vengence I-II(by the same director from Oldboy)
Gladiator
Cursed of the Golden Flower

[quote name='strayfoxx']The Lookout
Brick
[/quote]

I second both of those choices, with the addition of Mysterious Skin if you're not homophobic.

Also:
Children of Men
Hard Candy
Run Lola Run
Renaissance

[quote name='cochesecochese']Be a cliche: Criteron Collection everything.[/quote]

And then come back with snarky comments about any movie that has been viewed by more than 10,000 people.

The Shawshank Redemption

I can't believe no one has said that already.

Also, anything by Wes Anderson except The Darjeeling Limited, which isn't out on DVD yet anyway.

Your mother was a hamster, and your father stinks of elderberries!

Oh wait, I misread the title.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You've probably seen it but that's one that if you haven't after watching you'll suddenly realize where a ton of odd statements you see everywhere came from. (Same with The Godfather/Godfather II or reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

[quote name='Maklershed']And then come back with snarky comments about any movie that has been viewed by more than 10,000 people.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth! Criterion has a lot of good shit, though. I can highly recommend a lot of their movies. I'm getting really into Truffaut. Watch Jules & Jim. It's friggin amazing.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Tetsuo, the Iron Man

I dare you.[/quote]

I watched that on my laptop in school one day. Got a lot of weird looks afterwards.

[quote name='fart_bubble'] which leads me to
Man Bites Dog - if you haven't seen this before, you really need to. Nice satire on reality tv with one off the wall ending. Way ahead of its time[/quote]

Bought it on a blind buy, and I was suprised by just how funny and mean it was. Really well done though.

bread's done
Back