Term Limits

cindersphere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So as many people know states like California have decided to adopt term limits on states assemblies and senate. Since November elections are coming up I am wondering what peoples opinions on the subject are. If your state has them do you like them and have they helped state politics? If your state doesn't, do you want them?

No idea if we have them here in Georgia--have bothered paying much attention to local politics since moving down here.

I do support them though, and also at the federal level. We'd get a lot more done if people could vote how they wanted and not have to hold the party line to get re-elected.

Isn't it common practice for those with term limits to move from the state house to the state senate and back to avoid the letter of that law?

I'd love to see term limits imposed across the board.

I likely wouldn't vote for someone who supported them if I disagreed with their other ideals/proposals, but I'd give them serious consideration.

I'm also for term limits. Unfortunately, American politics has devolved into a shitty two party system where it doesn't matter who wins. It matters which party wins. One democrat will just replaced by the new hot democrat.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No idea if we have them here in Georgia--have bothered paying much attention to local politics since moving down here.

I do support them though, and also at the federal level. We'd get a lot more done if people could vote how they wanted and not have to hold the party line to get re-elected.[/QUOTE]
Like a president in their 2nd term, what do you have to lose? First term you have to be careful if you want to be re-elected, 2nd term you say screw it and do what you wanted to begin with. That is of course if you aren't worried about hurting the party as a whole, which they seem to be usually.

I do get a bit queasy when I consider that John Dingell has been in the House since the Eisenhower administration.

I'd love to see federal lawmakers have term limits. Lifer politicians are so detached from reality, they don't really serve the constituents, they are residents of DC at that point.

[quote name='Clak']That is of course if you aren't worried about hurting the party as a whole, which they seem to be usually.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it wouldn't lead to huge changes, but you'd get more cases of members of the minority party voting for a bill from the other side in the 2nd term etc. than you do now.

damn shame we're set up with two parties and the independants that have good ideas get scoffed at as a wasted vote.

[quote name='perdition(troy'] Personally, I'd love to have a one and done term limit, but that'll never happen.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if other people agree with me, but I think Ted Kauffman did a great job temp. filling Biden's seat. He was really tough on the banks and that's where he shined.

I think his success was in part due to the fact that he was appointed. He had no donors he had to worry about offending. He had no worry of offending future donors because he wasn't running for reelection.

Thanks for the responses. I am currently reading up on the changes California's term limits has had upon the legislature and the legislation. Not a pretty picture so far. But I was interested in other people's opinion. Feel sorry for Ohio and the result that term limits gave them.

Term limits will definitely help, but we've pretty much poisoned the whole election system by creating an environment where only douchebags really can run, get any media attention, and get elected.

I would say that starting a campaign to make it "cool" to not vote for a democrat or a republican would go further in doing "good" for the country.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I would say that starting a campaign to make it "cool" to not vote for a democrat or a republican would go further in doing "good" for the country.[/QUOTE]

I like where you're going with this. Unfortunately, a celebrity will have to be the first.

I was hopeful that Jessie Ventura would make a third party popular in the upper Midwest but that died quickly after he was ineffectual in office.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Term limits will definitely help, but we've pretty much poisoned the whole election system by creating an environment where only douchebags really can run, get any media attention, and get elected.

I would say that starting a campaign to make it "cool" to not vote for a democrat or a republican would go further in doing "good" for the country.[/QUOTE]
Help, what exactly?

bread's done
Back