Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='Moltres423']Any way to install simple programs on it like Outlook Express? I say that because that's how I'm used to checking my email lol.[/QUOTE]
Nope. At least not the way Google intends you to use it.

You can, however, configure gmail to pick up your other email, so gmail could potentially replace your Outlook Express. And, all of the rest of the Google Aps could potentially replace all of your other programs... So, no more Word, Excel, Photoshop, etc. You simply use the Google Aps instead, and live in the cloud.

However, if you really can't live in the cloud, you could install Linux, possibly even in a dual-boot configuration. But, the 16 Gb SSD HDD is not all that much space to live with once you have the OS installed. Just keep in mind that the processor really doesn't have all that much power, so running real programs from linux is not going to be as quick as you may be used to, even on an older laptop.

You would have to dl steam on to it so no you cant you can dl apps to the chrome browser but no exe files or any files for that matter

No one has been replying to this thread so I assume no one has recieved any after the 22nd or so. Google has probably stopped shipping them.

^^^ QFT. The signup was originally set to end 12/21, but has now been extended (with no specific end date).

So, it sounds like they have more units to ship, but didn't get enough 'qualified' people to sign up?

Me, my wife, and my father in law have all signed up. I even used the specific entries that one other user signed up with, with some slight modifications. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed until I hear for sure they're ending this.

Completely missed that it was extended. I guess I'll enter a second time, since my first entry was probably rejected.

[quote name='slickkill77']You've never watched Will It Blend? :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

I certainly never have. Sounds like a stupid idea. Anything to get some views I guess.

A Gamer needs to know the tracking number for him to update the tracker. So someone needs to receive a new one that was shipped and send him the tracking number. The thing is, no one has received one since the 21st or so.

I really only need a tracking number if they changed the way they are shipping... Again.

At this point, it is unlikely that they shipped anything last week, or anything Ground since 12/16 (they shipped small quantities via 2nd Day Air on 12/17, 12/20 and 12/21). I have my ears in lots of forums, and nothing yet. My guess is that they had the holidays off, and they will resume shipping next week?

If they use the same shipping methods as previous shipments, then I should be able to find them. If they change things up, then I will need to get a tracking/reference number from the new method in order to be able to track down that batch (and possibly future batches, too).

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I certainly never have. Sounds like a stupid idea. Anything to get some views I guess.[/QUOTE]

Not just for viewers, they sell those blenders, and many more.

Its like commercials, except these have a huge following of avid fans.

Saw this thread awhile ago, then forgot to fill out the form. But it's still up, so I submitted one anyway. Why not, right?

Rofl, I saw some people selling their Google Chrome Netbooks on eBay earlier in the day. It says in the Terms and Conditions: I agree to not sell or transfer the device to anyone else, unless under written instruction from Google to do so.

[quote name='Aceboogz']i signed up and have not received any email :([/QUOTE]

I think it ended. :cry:

I found out about this too late!!!!

You're not supposed to receive an e-mail. Heck, no one did, apparently.
They're probably still shipping, too, but just haven't sent any out recently, so calm down, folks.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Looks like Google send a few out today as the shipping tracker site updated today.[/QUOTE]

They are shipping a total of 60,000 right?

I am being hopefuly:applause:

[quote name='Demolition Man']Looks like Google send a few out today as the shipping tracker site updated today.[/QUOTE]
It hasn't found any new packages... It just updated the status for packages that were in transit (i.e. stuff that got delivered today).
[quote name='p12odigy']They are shipping a total of 60,000 right?
...[/QUOTE]
They received 60,000 units from the manufacturer. A bunch of those probably went to large corporate trials (like 100+ at a time) and they are probably going to keep a bunch for themselves (to make cute videos for YouTube)...

So, I don't expect all 60k to ship for the Pilot program. But, based on the fact that they extended the sign up, it would seem that they planned on sending out more than the 15k they shipped out so far.

[quote name='A Gamer']It hasn't found any new packages... It just updated the status for packages that were in transit (i.e. stuff that got delivered today).[/quote]

Ah okay that makes sense.

So, I don't expect all 60k to ship for the Pilot program. But, based on the fact that they extended the sign up, it would seem that they planned on sending out more than the 15k they shipped out so far.

My guess is that they didn't get enough qualified apps for the initial sign up which is why its extended. Hopefully my new submitted application will get approved this time but then again its been hit and miss on people knowing they are approved still right?

I told a quite a few of my friends about this Pilot program, and only one friend and I have gotten in so far. It truly is a nice machine, but it is even better once you install Ubuntu on it :p

Dunno if there was anything in particular. I basically I said I use internet variations of everything (Google Docs instead of MS Word, etc) and an android phone, so that may have made a difference.

[quote name='Calinks']And google has forsaken us all.[/QUOTE]

Oh no! What happened?! :O

...I hate being forsaken. :(

[quote name='djratchet']Dunno if there was anything in particular. I basically I said I use internet variations of everything (Google Docs instead of MS Word, etc) and an android phone, so that may have made a difference.[/QUOTE]

did u have any luck receiving one? Do you think saying that you use gmail, googledocs, and other stuff related to google and it's products like android phones will help your chances in getting accepted?

[quote name='Parkerktm']did u have any luck receiving one? Do you think saying that you use gmail, googledocs, and other stuff related to google and it's products like android phones will help your chances in getting accepted?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, got one a couple months ago

[quote name='captaintek3304']So even though sign ups are still open, it's looking like this program is as good as dead?[/QUOTE]
According to a twitter from someone supposedly at Google, they will be shipping more later this month? Although it could just be rumors started by wishful thinking.

Also, they just recently (yesterday?) sent out an 'update' to all of the units that are out there, so that update may have had something to do with the pause? No one seems to be able to tell exactly the update was about, but according to some it was mostly security related.

[quote name='killer9']update really i got no update automatic in the background or sumthing?[/QUOTE]
Did you switch to the dev channel? If so, you won't get it. You will have to switch back to the beta channel. You can leave the switch though. (I don't have one, so I am going off what I have seen posted in other forums.)

Otherwise, there is a button you can click somewhere that will force it to check for updates... You may have to click a few times to get it to see the update.

Actually there is an update for the dev channel, which updates Chrome to 10. I applied the beta update first but I don't think that made any difference. I had to press the "Check for updates" button several times once on the dev channel before it found one.

My current version is:
Chrome OS 0.10.142.3 (Official Build 166caf1e) dev x86-mario
Google Chrome 10.0.634.1

I'm seeing some performance improvements. Faster tab switching, faster page loading. Scrolling while a page is loading, even in another tab is still painful. Bugs remain... content browser popping up ever time I wake from sleep, even when no devices are conected sucks. WiFi signal might be improved, not sure.

it wont let me update stupid thing i keep hitting update nothing

edit finally let me update had to hit update 40 times

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else having sound problems? When watching videos, lets say on youtube I get an an annoying high pitched garble sound. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens the majority of the time.

bread's done
Back