Test your knowledge: Guess that video game cover.

HYDE

CAGiversary!
***EDIT: See some new instructions just below this set of pics for posting follow-up guesses!***

Ok - so I was wrapping up a few games for gifts when an idea for a fun little game hit me. Guess the game cover. How original! I covered all but a small area of some game covers - it's up to you to see if you can figure out the game by what little you can see.

One of them should be "obvious". The other 2 a bit harder.

Post your answer, and post your own covers - see if you can stump people. I've got some really obscure ones to share :) Scroll carefully to avoid spoilers in follow-ups.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

When posting answers, use a bit of copy-paste action and keep your answers in 'spoiler tags' that Guessed came up with. Copy the code below from color tag to color tag, paste and replace the games names with your guesses. The code is.

Code:
[color=#545454]
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3... etc
[/color]

It will look like this (drag highlight the next few, hopefully blank looking, lines)

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3... etc

That's all there is too it! In your preview box, the text may look faintly gray. Don't worry, it won't when you post.

Guesses? I'll post more if others join in with covers. They'll get harder, I promise :)

Only one person got them all right. [Edit-make that two now :)] Everyone guessed correctly on DOA. What a suprise ;)

Here's the next batch. Not too difficult yet but a bit harder than the last set.

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

Guesses?

hahahahahaha - Scorch - I think refreshing, guessing and posting less than a minute after my post deserves some sort of award. We'll see if others agree with your answers though.

Everyone READ:

And to make it fun for everyone, despite guesses being posted, remember to scroll slowly, look at the images, then just jump quickly to the end bypassing follow-ups and post a reply. Make -your- guess then compare it to others who may of posted already.

I'll post more in a little while :)

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Need to hide more of the cover, or convert a part of the case cover art into small jpg like what someone did a while ago. :)[/quote]

Not a bad idea - it would make even popular games harder to figure out if a small subsample of the cover was posted. I have a few more done already and if I do some more, I might try that way.

Others should join in and post some cover sections in whatever way makes them challenging, yet not impossible, to figure out. I'd like to guess at a few too!

Ok, here's another set for the late nighters. I'm messing with a new digicams settings so the pics vary in quality (they were shrunk down anyway). They should be clear enough to figure out.

Who else is going to post some? C'mon! I'm confident in my covert art knowledge - someone stump me! ;)

image7.jpg

image9.jpg

image10.jpg

Perhaps that last one won't be an instant guess?

Would it be a good idea to put guesses in this color? It would let people try to figure it out without seeing what others posted.

Edit: Wario World, Beyond Good & Evil, Dragon Warrior VII.

[quote name='guessed']Would it be a good idea to put guesses in this color? It would let people try to figure it out without seeing what others posted.[/quote]

I can highlight what you wrote to read it. It won't work.

The best thing to do is give points for right guesses, and give a whole lot of points for the first person to post all three right without anyone getting any before that person.

[quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='guessed']Would it be a good idea to put guesses in this color? It would let people try to figure it out without seeing what others posted.[/quote]

The best thing to do is give points for right guesses, and give a whole lot of points for the first person to post all three right without anyone getting any before that person.[/quote]

I know you can highlight what I wrote, but the point is, you can't accidentally see what I wrote if you want to guess on your own.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='guessed']Would it be a good idea to put guesses in this color? It would let people try to figure it out without seeing what others posted.[/quote]

The best thing to do is give points for right guesses, and give a whole lot of points for the first person to post all three right without anyone getting any before that person.[/quote]

I know you can highlight what I wrote, but the point is, you can't accidentally see what I wrote if you want to guess on your own.[/quote]

I think I need to sleep.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='nachzeher']Wario World, Beyond Good and Evil, Dragon Warrior VII.[/quote][/quote]
I wrote it first.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='nachzeher']Wario World, Beyond Good and Evil, Dragon Warrior VII.[/quote][/quote]
I wrote it first.[/quote]
Yeah, but he put it into visible text... :)

[quote name='guessed']Would it be a good idea to put guesses in this color? It would let people try to figure it out without seeing what others posted.

Edit: Wario World, Beyond Good & Evil, Dragon Warrior VII.[/quote]

I was thinking about asking people to do that, but odds are, most won't or don't want to figure out bbcode.

If people just scroll slowly to look at just the pics (and no further), then scroll down quickly and reply without reading responses, then there's no chance of a spoiler. It still takes a conscious decision for people to read follow-ups so if it's ruined for them, they can only blame themselves! :)

I'm suprised that so many people got the last one. I'm sure those that did own the game? Otherwise, there's nothing in the pic that is a hint - except the blue peaks of the words. For some, that's all they need :)

If I'm up still in a while, I'll post the last 4 I have taken pictures of tonight. If others keep the game going by putting up pics, I'd be more inclined to take pics of some even older/more obscure titles and more general ones like the first 2 sets (they're still fun, if not a bit easy). I'll stump some of you before I'm done!!

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='nachzeher']Wario World, Beyond Good and Evil, Dragon Warrior VII.[/quote][/quote]
I wrote it first.[/quote]
Yeah, but he put it into visible text... :)[/quote]

So, nobody likes my idea then? Oh well, it was worth a shot.

[quote name='HYDE'][quote name='guessed']Would it be a good idea to put guesses in this color? It would let people try to figure it out without seeing what others posted.

Edit: Wario World, Beyond Good & Evil, Dragon Warrior VII.[/quote]

I was thinking about asking people to do that, but odds are, most won't or don't want to figure out bbcode.

If people just scroll slowly to look at just the pics (and no further), then scroll down quickly and reply without reading responses, then there's no chance of a spoiler. It still takes a conscious decision for people to read follow-ups so if it's ruined for them, they can only blame themselves! :)

I'm suprised that so many people got the last one. I'm sure those that did own the game? Otherwise, there's nothing in the pic that is a hint - except the blue peaks of the words. For some, that's all they need :)

If I'm up still in a while, I'll post the last 4 I have taken pictures of tonight. If others keep the game going by putting up pics, I'd be more inclined to take pics of some even older/more obscure titles and more general ones like the first 2 sets (they're still fun, if not a bit easy). I'll stump some of you before I'm done!![/quote]

I think you might be showing a bit much in your pics ... maybe a little less ... acouple of millimeters here and there might help :)

Alright - here's a set for this afternoon.

image8.jpg

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

image13.jpg

I might do a few more - and will try out the suggestion of showing less.

Enjoy!

[quote name='fragmanslayer']Is the first one a pirate game?[/quote]
First is Skies of Arcadia for GCN.
Second is Castlevania: SotN.
Third is escaping me at the moment.
And the last one is Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 for the DC.

skies
sotn
I never really go into dreamcast so i have no clue what the next one is and the last one is the sega smash pack

you should edit your first post and put the pictures there so we dont scroll though all of the answers

[quote name='hutno']you should edit your first post and put the pictures there so we dont scroll though all of the answers[/quote]

I'm trying to keep each set and their answers seperate. If I update the front, people who just find the post can't participate in the earlier ones, yet the answers to the earlier sets will still be posted and look wrong. I figured this would be the best way to progress the thread and still let late-comers play. It's easy o avoid looking at posts with answers - they don't contain pictures!

However, if people can do so, use a bit of copy, paste action and keep your answers in 'spoiler tags' that Guessed came up with. Copy the code below from color tag to color tag, paste and replace the games names with your guesses. The code is.

Code:
[color=#545454]
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3... etc
[/color]

It will look like this (drag highlight the next few, hopefully blank, lines)

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3... etc

That's all there is too it! In your preview box, the text may look faintly gray. Don't worry, it won't when you post.

bread's done
Back