Texas Hold Em: XBLA - Free from 8/23 for 48 hours, 800 points afterwards

I accidently went all in on my first hand. And lost. Then I bought in again and was up about $3000-4000 before I stopped (had to go to work). I like the game, I don't really like the deck though, hope they get a new deck soon.

I played it a bit this morning before work, pretty good is my first impression. I like the way the controller vibrates when the action is on you.

This could just be me (and likely is) but the A.I. did a couple of crazy things, like I got a pair of 9's and was about to call (big deal for me cos I play cautious) and then the bugger in the seat before me goes All In, on the first 2 cards. Seemed a bit mad.

I hadn't actually noticed and went to call and I got a nice little warning saying was I sure I wanted to call an All In bet, handy at 5.45 AM.

Cool. Free. Nice.

Have no idea what I'm doing, but I won the first 6 or 7 hands I played. Kinda like the same way I blindly stumbled around in Minesweeper not knowing what I was doing, randomly clicking on tiles and winning. At least now I know the basic rules of the game.

I downloaded it this morning about 5am central and played some single player hands. Unlocked 1 achievement 'going all-in and winning the hand' on about the 3rd deal.

This is a fun game and all but I'm kinda upset about the lack of the Vision Camera. Weren't they going to do face mapping so you could see people's eyes and stuff like that? Can't beat free though, and I'm sure they'll come out with something for it.

[quote name='Wolve22']This is a fun game and all but I'm kinda upset about the lack of the Vision Camera. Weren't they going to do face mapping so you could see people's eyes and stuff like that? Can't beat free though, and I'm sure they'll come out with something for it.[/QUOTE]
that is "world series of poker: tourament of champions", which is scheduled to come out on 9/19/06... doesn't that date sound fimilar.

EDIT: I wonder if they are going to sell those gamertag icons.

So, kinda confused... if I download the full game for free, it won't die on Friday and I'll have to rebuy it, correct?

Once I download it for free, I keep it forever, it's just people after the 48 hours who have to pay?

[quote name='Roufuss']So, kinda confused... if I download the full game for free, it won't die on Friday and I'll have to rebuy it, correct?

Once I download it for free, I keep it forever, it's just people after the 48 hours who have to pay?[/quote]

Yep.

[quote name='Roufuss']So, kinda confused... if I download the full game for free, it won't die on Friday and I'll have to rebuy it, correct?

Once I download it for free, I keep it forever, it's just people after the 48 hours who have to pay?[/quote]

Correct.

Thanks OP, downloaded this afternoon. Maybe we should start an official thread for upcoming freebies off LIVE? Disreguard what I just said if this forum already exists, I just haven't come across one and figured it would be good to have a heads up similar to the TH download.

Just DLed it.

Though, is it me or is it kinda odd that some places are breaking street date on the camera at the same time they're releasing Texas Hold'em for free??

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Just DLed it.

Though, is it me or is it kinda odd that some places are breaking street date on the camera at the same time they're releasing Texas Hold'em for free??[/QUOTE]

Probably not that weird considering that there is no Video support in Texas Hold em yet (so I've heard)

[quote name='chair_home']Probably not that weird considering that there is no Video support in Texas Hold em yet (so I've heard)[/quote]

Strange, you'd think there was support for it...oh well...

Downloaded this this morning only because it was free. I like Hold em poker but no reason to pay for it on XBLA when you can play for free online with your pc. I guess I'll play through it to get some achivements though.

[quote name='DomLando']Downloaded this this morning only because it was free. I like Hold em poker but no reason to pay for it on XBLA when you can play for free online with your pc. I guess I'll play through it to get some achivements though.[/quote]So, you're saying that when you're downloading it for free, you're not getting it for free like on your PC? How is it a different kind of free?

I played a few hands on single player and enjoyed it. I'll play some online games later tonight or tomorrow.

I got 4 or 5 achivements already. Pretty fun. I almost won my first offline tourney. I placed second cause I wanted to end it.

[quote name='ryanbph']I thought this game was going to support camera? Was I wrong, or did they change it to remove it?[/QUOTE]

Maybe just because the camera isn't "officially" released yet? I don't know I've only tried playing against the AI on it so far. It would make sense to include the camera feature, or else theres nothing different from any version you can play anywhere else.

I downloaded it a few hours ago and like it a lot. I won the only two tourneys I entered (in my last one I overcame a 900+ to over 18,000 deficit when it was down to only three players - the guy who lost was furious).

If anyone wants to play just add me to your list. I should be online again later tonight.

A couple of hours ago, I played with a guy heads up and we both had about the same, he had a little bit more almost 8000 to about 7900 and I go all in with a straight and he wins with 9,10,J,Q,K of hearts almost a royal flush

so far I am the top of my friends list, which includes wolve11, cobra commando, and Baz2 who has -450000

I like it a lot but I wish the speed in between hands was faster. Also in a player tourney we had some punk that whent AFK on the first hand and slowed the pace to a crawl. The host couldn't figure out a way to boot him and when he came back 10+ hands into the tourney he played about two hands then left, sigh.
I wish they will have some sort of patch to make it like UNO when someone goes AFK.

It's really cool--especially with a full table. But I think you'd have to be out of your goddamn mind to pay $10 for it--it's pretty spartan.

[quote name='gizmogc']If I only knew how to play...[/quote]

Downloaded this afternoon, and this game has basically taught me how to play poker, I didn't know what the fuck anything meant before this game.

it's alright for free, but I'd be pissed if I payed $10 for it. there are seriously a lot of simple things that could have made it a lot better. I don't even think there's a button to sit out if you gotta go take a piss. YOu just have to make everyone wait for your timer to go down. The fact that you have to wait for the blinds to come around to play after sitting at a table is really annoying. It can take 10 minutes to even play your first hand. The interface is so clunky and the animations are so slow.

And the music..oh lord, the music. Very well could be the worst I've ever heard in a game.

[quote name='delirium266']it's alright for free, but I'd be pissed if I payed $10 for it. there are seriously a lot of simple things that could have made it a lot better. I don't even think there's a button to sit out if you gotta go take a piss. YOu just have to make everyone wait for your timer to go down. The fact that you have to wait for the blinds to come around to play after sitting at a table is really annoying. It can take 10 minutes to even play your first hand. The interface is so clunky and the animations are so slow.

And the music..oh lord, the music. Very well could be the worst I've ever heard in a game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, IMO it's not a very well put together or thought out game, even for somehting so simple. And considering the time it spend in development that seemingly makes it even more disappointing for me. Some of the poker games you play in sports bars seem to work better and better implemented.

Also, something needs to be done about quick matchmaking for competitive games. Every tourney I tried to match to wouldn't let me play because the buy-in was too much. If that's the case why exactly is that a match for my profile?

Downloaded it around 9 P.M. and right now after playing in about 3 rooms I'm up around 807,000. I'm mad because CheapyD had a tournament and I finished last but after that I won the eight hundred grand so I can't be too mad after that. I got exactly six achievements in my first three hours of playing so they aren't that hard to get but the one where you have to get every type of hand in hold'em will be kind of hard to get.

bread's done
Back