Thai Food

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
The other day my girlfriend and I went to a Thai Restaurant to try something new. We started off with the Appetizer Combo which consisted of 2 spring rolls, 2 winter shrimp (it looked like a shrimp inside of a small egg roll), 2 Hoi Jaw (no idea what this was), 2 chicken satay and some crispy calamari with 3 sauces (1 hot, 1 peanut and one sweet).

Never had squid before, so I wasn't use to the rubbery taste but it was good with the dipping sauce.

For the main course she had Pad Woon Sen and I had the Sweet and Sour with Chicken.

It was actually enjoyable and we are thinking about going back to try some other stuff.

For those who have had Thai food before, what do you recommend? Something not too spicy and of course NO CATS!! :)

I've seen far to many water based horror movies to ever eat squid. I'd never be able to choke it down. The shrimp doesn't sound bad, nor the sweet and sour chicken.

[quote name='JolietJake']I've seen far to many water based horror movies to ever eat squid. I'd never be able to choke it down. The shrimp doesn't sound bad, nor the sweet and sour chicken.[/quote]

The Shrimp was actually straighten out ... when usually shrimp is coiled. The sweet and sour chicken was pretty good and the chicken part wasn't fried. The sauce wasn't super sweet as Chinese S&S sauce.

How about the deserts? They had Mango and Sticky Rice, Custard and Sticky Rice, Fried Banana and Ice Cream, Homemade Ice cream. Not much of a selection.

I love the tempura chicken that a Japanese place here makes. The sauce they have is water thin and kind of salty tasting. Goes perfectly with the chicken.

I really like pad siew (or sew depending on where you go).

It's simple, being only chicken, noodles and broccoli tossed in a light sauce. I like it simply because it's light and fresh. Nothing's fried.

I've only had Thai food once, and it was Tom-yum-goong. All I remember is that I didn't dislike it, and I wanna try it again. Full of vegetables. I also can't remember if it was really spicy hot or heat hot...:hot:

Out of all of the Thai curry they have on the menu, my absolute favorite is the (beef) panang curry. Of course, I always get the mild because I can't take the heat. And I love to wash it down with Thai tea. YUM!

That's it! I'm going for some Thai food tomorrow! Need to find someone since all the Thai places around here serve family style.

[quote name='ZenTrickster']I really like pad siew (or sew depending on where you go).

It's simple, being only chicken, noodles and broccoli tossed in a light sauce. I like it simply because it's light and fresh. Nothing's fried.[/QUOTE]

Also my favorite Thai dish.

Pad Thai and Pad Siew. Though Thai has some very good sweet and sour chicken, and if they offer it in your area - Thai BBQ chicken which is usually a brazed chicken quarter cooked in a sweet soy based bbq sauce.

APPETIZERS
Roti Canai

MAIN DISH
Pad Thai, Curry Beef (if available since it's spicier than chicken), Thai Fried Rice

DESSERT
Coconut Pudding

[quote name='Hostile']APPETIZERS
Roti Canai

MAIN DISH
Pad Thai, Curry Beef (if available since it's spicier than chicken), Thai Fried Rice

DESSERT
Coconut Pudding[/quote]

I am looking at the take out menu..they don't have Roti Canai... what's that?

The closer you get to the country of Thailand the spicier the food gets.

Gator is my favorite Thai dish. It's gamey, but get it fried with spicy curry sauce. Damn good!!!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am looking at the take out menu..they don't have Roti Canai... what's that?[/quote]

They give you a small bowl of curry sauce with chicken and potatoes in it (which I just eat) and a pancake of some sort to dip into the sauce.

Crispy Calamari and Pad Thai are golden.

I usually buff up my Pad Thai with Shrimp/Lobster for taste and steamed rice to add volume, but overall it is an awesome dish.

~HotShotX

[quote name='Hostile']They give you a small bowl of curry sauce with chicken and potatoes in it (which I just eat) and a pancake of some sort to dip into the sauce.[/QUOTE]

You're supposed to scoop the meat and potatoes with the bread and eat it.

Another Pad Thai vote (as long as you aren't allergic to peanuts). Although every place makes it differently so some are better than others.

[quote name='Miaswebethgu']I've only had Thai food once, and it was Tom-yum-goong. [/quote]

I had to take a second to figure out if you were serious, because Tom-yum-goong is ALSO the original name of the Tony Jaa (the guy who did Ong Bak: Thai Warrior) movie which is titled "The Protector" in America.

Apparently it's also food.

CAG teaches!

[quote name='ananag112']I hate Thai food. Everything I order tastes like coconut milk.[/quote]

I used to think that too, actually. I had a poor experience at a pretty nice Thai place where I used to live, which turned me off for years. But I found that if you try to get away from the heavier dishes, especially the curry, you might find something you like.

Chicken pad thai is my fave...I could live on it.

Tom Kha Ghai soup is also really good: chicken and veggies in coconut milk with lemongrass. Mmmm.

I've never had a bad Thai dish, so I'm happy with all of them. My favorite one, though, is Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao). Pad Thai and Panang Curry are really good, too.

I have tried Pad Thai before......then a few days later I popped into another Thai placed and ordered it to go. It tasted more dry and less tangy than the first time I tried it.

So your right, some places do it better than others.

I am not a big fan of Tufu, but my gf is. Next time I want to try some of their soups.

I clicked on this thread looking for some good food recommendations, but now I'm suddenly in the mood for okonomiyaki. Not Thai, I know - but my stomach is just telling me what it wants with little regard for region.

Thai and Indian Restaurants have been starting to pop up a lot in my area over the last 2 years....while other restaurants have begun to close down (Don Pablo's, Joe's Pizza and buffet, etc) Heck even this tex mex place near the compusa that closed down last year was bulldozed the other day.

[quote name='mykevermin']I clicked on this thread looking for some good food recommendations, but now I'm suddenly in the mood for okonomiyaki. Not Thai, I know - but my stomach is just telling me what it wants with little regard for region.[/quote]

oh my god I just wiki'ed that.... Looks damn good. :drool:

bread's done
Back