thank you nintendo. its about time link comes back in true bad ass form!!!!

k well maybe i should say "cool bad ass form"

ocarina style...
dam this news made my day. best thing i could have possible heard.

its the same damn game...the graphics dont matter...its the gameplay...did you ever notice in LTTP his hair was pink?...What matters?

it was not the same game at all. I didnt really like the story of windwaker and just didnt respect its look and feel, which took away my interest. Just my opinion

very few games give me that spine tingly feeling whhen i see a trailer. after seeing this video i have that feeling. i cant wait now

let's not start arguing over 'the best/worst Zelda.'

as a fan of OOT and TWW, i have to say that as long as there is good gameplay involved, trying different things graphically will help to keep a series from growing stale.

That video kicks major ass. I am super hyped about this game; that scene with the huge fire-monster was fucking amazing!

Just goes to show me that i shouldn't assume that my GC will always be gathering as much dust as it currently is...

This video shows you the graphical power the GC is capable of putting out...Rogue Squadron pushed it quite a bit but this is too far! haha...also on a graphical note...I hear SC3 will push all consoles to movie quality animation...IN GAME...I dont see how its possible...anyways back on topic...ZELDA KICKS ASS!!!...too bad it doesnt kick cheap ass...then I wouldnt have to shell out 50 for it...but it will be well worth the sacrifice of no food for 2 weeks

[quote name='karmapolice620']also...does this trailer remind anyone of The Lord Of The Rings?[/quote]

Sorta. I'm thinking more Dynasty Warriors, though.

I would have to say that Nintendo is totally running the show at e3 so far. Zelda? DS? What ever happens next at e3 better be good!

[quote name='retroguru']I would have to say that Nintendo is totally running the show at e3 so far. Zelda? DS? What ever happens next at e3 better be good![/quote]
Has Sony or Microsoft even had their press confrences yet? I seem to only see Nintendo news besides info on Halo 2.

I don't think Link can ever be a "bad ass" with that hat. And I really don't care about the darker tone. Let's face it, the Zelda series has always had shitty writing. Save the princess, get the triforce, defeat gannon. I kinda liked the wind waker's style, because it didn't take itself too seriously. My problem with a dark Zelda is that it will assume that it has depth, which it does not. Still, it will probably be fun and I do like realistic monsters.

And btw, what the hell is "Space World" anyhow?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']And btw, what the hell is "Space World" anyhow?[/quote]

I'll assume that is a serious question, even if it isn't.
Space World is a show that Nintendo does in Japan, usually in August, to unveil new games and promote their software/hardware. It isn't exactly annual, though - on some years, Nintendo cancelled in because of timing of the fall TGS.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre'] I don't think Link can ever be a "bad ass" with that hat. And I really don't care about the darker tone. Let's face it, the Zelda series has always had shitty writing. Save the princess, get the triforce, defeat gannon. [/quote]

Pretty much all games have "shitty writing". Games just don't compare to what you would find in a movie or book.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre'] I kinda liked the wind waker's style, because it didn't take itself too seriously. My problem with a dark Zelda is that it will assume that it has depth, which it does not. Still, it will probably be fun and I do like realistic monsters. [/quote]

No depth in Zelda? The depth is in gameplay not the story.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I don't think Link can ever be a "bad ass" with that hat. And I really don't care about the darker tone. Let's face it, the Zelda series has always had shitty writing. Save the princess, get the triforce, defeat gannon. I kinda liked the wind waker's style, because it didn't take itself too seriously. My problem with a dark Zelda is that it will assume that it has depth, which it does not. Still, it will probably be fun and I do like realistic monsters.

And btw, what the hell is "Space World" anyhow?[/quote]

I bet you think Inuashya and Final fantasy have great writing right? Back in my day people actually read and garbage like final fantasy if put in book form would have been relegated to the trash heap it belongs in.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I don't think Link can ever be a "bad ass" with that hat. And I really don't care about the darker tone. Let's face it, the Zelda series has always had shitty writing. Save the princess, get the triforce, defeat gannon. I kinda liked the wind waker's style, because it didn't take itself too seriously. My problem with a dark Zelda is that it will assume that it has depth, which it does not. Still, it will probably be fun and I do like realistic monsters.

Space World is Nintendo's own show that they hold in Japan every so often if they have a bunch of new stuff they want to show but don't feel like waiting until E3 to do it..Space World had been around before E3 became the dominant event, but Nintendo still holds a Space World ever so often.

Kind of missing the point, eh? Zelda never was about a great story, it was all about the gameplay and exploration, be it of a large overworld, a dark realm, time, an ocean, or an unknown island.

Zelda is only about saving the Princess, getting the Triforce and defeating Ganon, eh?
Sounds like someone never bothered to play Majora's Mask,
the Oracle games, or Link's awakening..

I must admit that the trailer gave me a chill up my spine. It's pretty rare for me to get excited over a game release, but this game looks like the shizzle.

Link knocking the enmies off their horses owned. And to repeat myself from another similar thread not a damn boat to be found in the movie thank god

[quote name='jlarlee']Link knocking the enmies off their horses owned. And to repeat myself from another similar thread not a damn boat to be found in the movie thank god[/quote]

The boat never bothered me. What I didn't care for was that you had to pay tingle to translate the maps.

Finding the maps was fine, and I could understand the need to make you go search around with the maps to find the Triforce fragments.... but having to pay Tingle to translate them was a bit excessive.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='jlarlee']Link knocking the enmies off their horses owned. And to repeat myself from another similar thread not a damn boat to be found in the movie thank god[/quote]

The boat never bothered me. What I didn't care for was that you had to pay tingle to translate the maps.

Finding the maps was fine, and I could understand the need to make you go search around with the maps to find the Triforce fragments.... but having to pay Tingle to translate them was a bit excessive.[/quote]

I agree I think it was their heavy handed way of making you explore the game and not just blow through it. Cause to pay that weirdo you had to unearth a crap load of chests

[quote name='Kaijufan']Has Sony or Microsoft even had their press confrences yet? I seem to only see Nintendo news besides info on Halo 2.[/quote]

MS announced EA would be joining Live with a majority of their games.. that's pretty big news.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']And btw, what the hell is "Space World" anyhow?[/quote]

What noone's mentioned.. at Space World before WW was announced they showed a demo of a new Zelda that had the look of these screens. Everyone got thrown for a loop when WW screens came out. But after learning from that episode.. we should take Nintendo screens with a grain of salt :)

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Kaijufan']Has Sony or Microsoft even had their press confrences yet? I seem to only see Nintendo news besides info on Halo 2.[/quote]

MS announced EA would be joining Live with a majority of their games.. that's pretty big news.

What noone's mentioned.. at Space World before WW was announced they showed a demo of a new Zelda that had the look of these screens. Everyone got thrown for a loop when WW screens came out. But after learning from that episode.. we should take Nintendo screens with a grain of salt :)[/quote]

Actually, the Space World demo was different.. it didn't show the varied locations, play elements, and gameworld like this demo did. On top of that, Nintendo is billing this a game, not a demo. Nintendo always stuck to it's guns that the Space World demo was just that... a demo.
Nintendo, on it's own website refers to this a new Zelda game.

I may be being overly negative about this, but your comment sounds almost like an Xbox or PS2 fanboy playing damage control because the Gamecube finally got something cool that people want to talk about.

Need I point out that "bad ass Link" is still a four foot tall effeminate elf with silver tights and a pointy green hat?

The only people who worry about a game looking "kiddie" are kids themselves, or insecure about their maturity. Adults just play fun games.

This is the first time in a long time that I've gotten so excited about an upcoming release. I also think its a good sign that the higher-ups at Nintendo are listening to their fanbase (and looking at WW sales figures compared with OOT!).

One thing I'd really like to see though is a killer new franchise (no, Geist doesn't count and Pikmin - meh). Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox are great, but you know they have the creativity and imagination to introduce something totally mind-blowing that programmers who are working on Jak 7 (or is it 8 now?) could never come up with on their own.

[quote name='oneirotekt']Need I point out that "bad ass Link" is still a four foot tall effeminate elf with silver tights and a pointy green hat?[/quote]
It's not nice to make fun of the leprechauns.

[quote name='JSweeney']I may be being overly negative about this, but your comment sounds almost like an Xbox or PS2 fanboy playing damage control because the Gamecube finally got something cool that people want to talk about.[/quote]

I'm very excited about the possibility of this becoming a game.. I've always been a Zelda fanatic. I also own all three consoles, and have no problem sticking up for any of them :)

However, I don't want to get my hopes up to high.. Nintendo's done it before.

[quote name='oneirotekt']Need I point out that "bad ass Link" is still a four foot tall effeminate elf with silver tights and a pointy green hat?[/quote]

Hehe.

[quote name='oneirotekt']The only people who worry about a game looking "kiddie" are kids themselves, or insecure about their maturity. Adults just play fun games.[/quote]

I have suspicions that all the people who complained about WW's graphics did so because they could no longer fantasize about Link riding in on his big horse and carrying them away to romance. Well, now they can again. Bully for them, I say.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='JSweeney']I may be being overly negative about this, but your comment sounds almost like an Xbox or PS2 fanboy playing damage control because the Gamecube finally got something cool that people want to talk about.[/quote]

I'm very excited about the possibility of this becoming a game.. I've always been a Zelda fanatic. I also own all three consoles, and have no problem sticking up for any of them :)

However, I don't want to get my hopes up to high.. Nintendo's done it before.[/quote]

No, they haven't. Nintendo ALWAYS said that the Space World demo was nothing but a demo. Always. It's the videogame "journalists" on the web that created the rumor that that was going to be the gamecube Zelda.
Nintendo can not do it again, because they never misled anyone in the first place.
This one HAS been acknowldeged as a game, and will be made.

it would have been so much easier for them to say "Hi. Heres a new zelda (shows spaceworld footage). Cool huh? Well, It'll be out in about 3-4 years, BUt we'll give you a quirky fun little Zelda to tide you over."

[quote name='JSweeney']No, they haven't. Nintendo ALWAYS said that the Space World demo was nothing but a demo. Always. It's the videogame "journalists" on the web that created the rumor that that was going to be the gamecube Zelda.
Nintendo can not do it again, because they never misled anyone in the first place.
This one HAS been acknowldeged as a game, and will be made.[/quote]
I know you'll be the first to correct me if I'm wrong but ... doesn't a demo intrinsically imply a game. I mean, why even bother with a demo if there is no game.

[quote name='Wshakspear']it would have been so much easier for them to say "Hi. Heres a new zelda (shows spaceworld footage). Cool huh? Well, It'll be out in about 3-4 years, BUt we'll give you a quirky fun little Zelda to tide you over."[/quote]
Exactly.

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac'][quote name='JSweeney']No, they haven't. Nintendo ALWAYS said that the Space World demo was nothing but a demo. Always. It's the videogame "journalists" on the web that created the rumor that that was going to be the gamecube Zelda.
This one HAS been acknowldeged as a game, and will be made.[/quote]
I know you'll be the first to correct me if I'm wrong but ... doesn't a demo intrinsically imply a game. I mean, why even bother with a demo if there is no game.[/quote]

Well there's a game demo and then there's a tech demo. A tech demo doesn't necessarily become a game and if it does it doesn't necessarily look like it did in the tech demo.

[quote name='jmcc']Well there's a game demo and then there's a tech demo. A tech demo doesn't necessarily become a game and if it does it doesn't necessarily look like it did in the tech demo.[/quote]
So you're saying that the "demo" in question was a tech demo, not a game demo?

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac'][quote name='jmcc']Well there's a game demo and then there's a tech demo. A tech demo doesn't necessarily become a game and if it does it doesn't necessarily look like it did in the tech demo.[/quote]
So you're saying that the "demo" in question was a tech demo, not a game demo?[/quote]

Who can say anymore? When it was just Wind Waker the answer would have been "just a tech demo" but now they've released a game that looks similar aesthetically, so it could have been either.

Well I've never played a Zelda game for maybe more than 10 minutes, but after seen that Demo I might have to pick that game up once it comes out.

I like the new look, but will be pretty disappointed if they don't release the cel-shaded Wind Waker 2 that everyone said they were working on. I really enjoyed WW: its art style was beyond cool, and it just SCREAMED Zelda in overall feel. I remember sitting there for 6 or so hours the day I brought it home, with a dopey grin on my face as I played something that felt so much like the Zeldas I played growing up (one of my first NES games was Zelda, and I was hooked immediately).

I feel sorry for the people that wrote this one off because it was cel shaded, and looked like a "kid's cartoon." Shame on you. Have a more open mind. Just because it is a cartoon, doesn't mean that it is strictly for kids. Whoever said that the people bitching about the cel shaded look being for kids are kids themselves or fear how their maturity level is perceived by others is pretty much hitting the mark. If someone demeans you for playing a game that looks like a cartoon, they are FAR more pathetic then you could possibly be by actually playing it. They are being close minded and ignorant, and trying to make themselves feel more comfortable in their own maturity by trying to undermine yours.

WW > You

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac'][quote name='jmcc']Well there's a game demo and then there's a tech demo. A tech demo doesn't necessarily become a game and if it does it doesn't necessarily look like it did in the tech demo.[/quote]
So you're saying that the "demo" in question was a tech demo, not a game demo?[/quote]

Yes. The Space World demo was a tech demo, just like most of the tech demos that are shown for the DS. While some of them do go on to become games, some are just tech demos.
The Zelda demo shown at Space world was never billed as anything more than a tech demo. It's a rabid internet fanbase that is willing to believe anything they are told that pushed the idea that that was what the next Zelda game was going to be like.

[quote name='vanye'][quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I don't think Link can ever be a "bad ass" with that hat. And I really don't care about the darker tone. Let's face it, the Zelda series has always had shitty writing. Save the princess, get the triforce, defeat gannon. I kinda liked the wind waker's style, because it didn't take itself too seriously. My problem with a dark Zelda is that it will assume that it has depth, which it does not. Still, it will probably be fun and I do like realistic monsters.

I bet you think Inuashya and Final fantasy have great writing right? Back in my day people actually read and garbage like final fantasy if put in book form would have been relegated to the trash heap it belongs in.[/quote]

When did I say anything about Final Fantasy having good writing? Final Fantasy has shitty writing (and I don't know what Inuashya is, but I bet it does too). All videogames have shitty writitng excpet Lucasarts oldschool adventures games.

And back in my day, people actually used commas between "read" and "and garbage" in "sentences" like yours.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Kaijufan']Has Sony or Microsoft even had their press confrences yet? I seem to only see Nintendo news besides info on Halo 2.[/quote]

What noone's mentioned.. at Space World before WW was announced they showed a demo of a new Zelda that had the look of these screens. Everyone got thrown for a loop when WW screens came out. But after learning from that episode.. we should take Nintendo screens with a grain of salt :)[/quote]

Actually, the Space World demo was different.. it didn't show the varied locations, play elements, and gameworld like this demo did. On top of that, Nintendo is billing this a game, not a demo. Nintendo always stuck to it's guns that the Space World demo was just that... a demo.
Nintendo, on it's own website refers to this a new Zelda game.

I may be being overly negative about this, but your comment sounds almost like an Xbox or PS2 fanboy playing damage control because the Gamecube finally got something cool that people want to talk about.[/quote]

haha... I don't even own a PS2 or Xbox.

My only concern is the very tentitive release date on the nintendo site of 2005. If it comes in very late 2005 or gets pushed back at all, I fear Nintendo will probably use it as a launch title for their next console and it won't see the light of day on the gamecube.

The more I think about it the more I like the new Zelda's style. At first I was in love with WW's cel-shading and dug the cartoon look because it didn't take itself seriously. It reminded me more of Monkey Island, a series I am even more nostalgic about than Zelda. HOWEVER, after spending 6-8 hours fishing out triforce shards I wouldn't mind never having to see that cel-shaded ocean ever again. And msdmoney was right; the Zelda series is going to have shitty writing no matter what, so they might as well have cool visuals. And those shots in the forest were pretty impressive, and change in general is good. The only time we've had 2 identical looking zelda's was OoT and MM, and I didn't care for MM.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']The more I think about it the more I like the new Zelda's style. At first I was in love with WW's cel-shading and dug the cartoon look because it didn't take itself seriously. It reminded me more of Monkey Island, a series I am even more nostalgic about than Zelda. HOWEVER, after spending 6-8 hours fishing out triforce shards I wouldn't mind never having to see that cel-shaded ocean ever again. And msdmoney was right; the Zelda series is going to have shitty writing no matter what, so they might as well have cool visuals. And those shots in the forest were pretty impressive, and change in general is good. The only time we've had 2 identical looking zelda's was OoT and MM, and I didn't care for MM.[/quote]

Simply stories and simple plots does not shitty writing make.
Fairy and folk tales are for the most part very simplisitically written.
Anyways, it's not like it matters all that much, since people always look at the story a videogame like the story in a porn movie.. it's expected to be there, but it's not expected to amount to much... it's just and excuse to link what goes on between the narative interludes anyway.

bread's done
Back