The $2 million PlayStation 3 Supercomputer

The_Linux_Crew

CAGiversary!
When Sony launched the PlayStation 3 in 2006, the company touted its IBM Cell processor as a “supercomputer on a chip.” Although game developers are only now beginning to take advantage of the PS3’s processing ability, the United States Air Force has taken the claim literally. Today, Stars and Stripes newspaper announced a $2 million government project to create a research supercomputer using 2,000 PS3s. The project will be headed by the Air Force Research Laboratory in Rome, New York.

The $2 million PlayStation 3 Supercomputer

I read about that... Well, it's not a surprise since when PS3 first launched, the catchy punchline at the time was "are you Folding with your PS3?" Remember there wasn't a lot of PS3 games to play? The PS3 was only good for Folding...

Funny, I just read about this on TheKartel. If they got $2 mil and bought 2000 PS3s, that means they still got a million and a half to spend!

[quote name='CaptainSwag']Funny, I just read about this on TheKartel. If they got $2 mil and bought 2000 PS3s, that means they still got a million and a half to spend![/QUOTE]

Not really. Just like every 'efficient' government program, that other $1.5 million will magically vanish(into pork barrel projects) or be used to pay for shit at overinflated prices from unscrupulous companies selling to the educated morons running our nation.:roll:

Your (over)taxed dollars at work. Thank God I'm currently unemployed or I'd be one of the shnooks paying into this horrible system.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not really. Just like every 'efficient' government program, that other $1.5 million will magically vanish(into pork barrel projects) or be used to pay for shit at overinflated prices from unscrupulous companies selling to the educated morons running our nation.:roll:

Your (over)taxed dollars at work. Thank God I'm currently unemployed or I'd be one of the shnooks paying into this horrible system.[/QUOTE]

I think that money is for maintaining and operating the computer. It probably needs a lot of stuff, like special switches, a special room, cooling, software, etc.

[quote name='The_Linux_Crew']I think that money is for maintaining and operating the computer. It probably needs a lot of stuff, like special switches, a special room, cooling, software, etc.[/QUOTE]

More like probably paying friends of the person running the program exorbitant amounts in 'pay' and the rest disappearing like I said prior.

The U.S. government isn't exactly the most efficient in the world.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Leave it up to the federal government to turn setting up PS3's to run as one into rocket science and cost a friggin' fortune.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Please stop talking. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, and the fact that you keep falling back on the classic "government wastes money" line shows it. Go brag about how you're unemployed and cheap in another thread.

[quote name='elwood731']Please stop talking. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, and the fact that you keep falling back on the classic "government wastes money" line shows it. Go brag about how you're unemployed and cheap in another thread.[/QUOTE]

But what am I supposed to do with all of my valuable unemployed time, if not comment on how our government knows how to waste money?:D

That's ok. I said what I wanted to, so I'm done in here.;)

bread's done
Back