The 2008-2009 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Not the prettiest game between the Lakers and Hornets. The Lakers really need to figure out how to defend the pick and roll. Most basic play in basketball and they are clueless.[/quote]
How long does it take the Lakers to fix the pick and roll problem??? I swear they've had this issue for the longest time...and why is Walton a starter now?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Inf^Shini']How long does it take the Lakers to fix the pick and roll problem??? I swear they've had this issue for the longest time...and why is Walton a starter now?[/quote]Rodmonovic was traded and Bynum is injured so Odom is starting at the 4 which puts Walton at the 3.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']How long does it take the Lakers to fix the pick and roll problem??? I swear they've had this issue for the longest time...and why is Walton even playing?[/quote]

fixed :lol:

Well the defense as usual was pretty horrendous, but I thought the Suns did a good job scoring points, and I don't think any team would of been able to stop Rondo. Celtics are a good defense team, Suns need to still improve on that end.

But my god was the broadcasting absurd, it was like watching a Suns/Lakers game. WHOA WAIT WAIT KOBE IS SCRATCHING HIS HEAD NOW! WHOA HE JUST GRABBED A TOWEL! KOBE IS SWEATING HE IS SWEATING!!!

yea, i might have to agree with you that the broadcasters today praised the Celtics.
Some of the calls in the game were also bad too. Especially those blocking fouls...

The Suns defense was disappointing though. They let Rondo have his way the whole game driving to the rim all the time

Suns d was disappointing. I have to agree the refs weren't that great. Lots of blocking fouls called on the Suns, but on the other end those same calls were ruled as offensive fouls.

Well they are not entirely back, most of the Suns that knew how to play that high octane tempo are now gone, one of them being Amare now that he is injured. So it's going to take a little bit of time, this is only the 4th game with a new coach, trying to play a (for most of the players anyway) new style.

But yeah I wasn't too impressed with the tempo in this game, but going from Clipper defense to Boston defense is pretty dramatic.

The Magic give up 50 to Dwayne Wade yet still win by 23. :lol:

Looks like picking up Alston to fill in for Nelson was a good move. He seems to fit in well with their style of play.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Magic give up 50 to Dwayne Wade yet still win by 23. :lol:

Looks like picking up Alston to fill in for Nelson was a good move. He seems to fit in well with their style of play.[/quote]

Orlando playing tonight vs Chicago Bulls ;)

But im watching the PHX Suns game vs Bobcats... Raja Bell lighting it up

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Orlando playing tonight vs Chicago Bulls ;)
[/QUOTE]And they lost by 18 points this time. :p

The Bulls shot over 56% from the field, which rocks.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']And they lost by 18 points this time. :p

The Bulls shot over 56% from the field, which rocks.[/QUOTE]

Very unexpected. Maybe there is hope for this season after all.:)

[quote name='yukine']Well the defense as usual was pretty horrendous, but I thought the Suns did a good job scoring points, and I don't think any team would of been able to stop Rondo. Celtics are a good defense team, Suns need to still improve on that end.

But my god was the broadcasting absurd, it was like watching a Suns/Lakers game. WHOA WAIT WAIT KOBE IS SCRATCHING HIS HEAD NOW! WHOA HE JUST GRABBED A TOWEL! KOBE IS SWEATING HE IS SWEATING!!![/quote]Insert "Michael Jordan" and I'd feel like I'd time traveled to the 90s.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']And they lost by 18 points this time. :p

The Bulls shot over 56% from the field, which rocks.[/QUOTE]

Just think, if they win their next five games in a row, they'll be at .500, which would really rock!

Damn. First Norm Van Lier and now him. I used to watch almost every Bulls game back when WGN showed them and Jordan was playing. Kerr and Wayne Larrivee are one of my favorite broadcast teams ever.

[quote name='Matt Young']Speaking of the Bulls, Johnny "Red" Kerr died. :whistle2:(

Yukine- no comment on the Lakers/Suns game? ;)[/QUOTE]

I was smilling the whole game :D

The Lakers did a very good job... Kobe took over and the Lakers never looked back
Good Job Lakers :applause:

[quote name='Matt Young']Speaking of the Bulls, Johnny "Red" Kerr died. :whistle2:(

Yukine- no comment on the Lakers/Suns game? ;)[/quote]

Haha, I was out all night so I missed the game.

I checked the highlights though, and yeah... they were without Nash and Amare so no surprise it was a spanking.

So, I guess its official that Stephon Marbury is finally on the Boston Celtics... Boo :roll:
Debut was actually today vs the Pacers. Stephon Marbury scored 8 points

It's Kobe. He's going to get calls (or no-calls) in his favor. You think Shaq doesn't get the same treatment?

EDIT: I can't believe the Lakers lost 2 in a row, especially this one to a depleted Suns team that they whipped the other night. 3 games in 4 days does take a toll, I suppose.

[quote name='Matt Young']It's Kobe. He's going to get calls (or no-calls) in his favor. You think Shaq doesn't get the same treatment?

EDIT: I can't believe the Lakers lost 2 in a row, especially this one to a depleted Suns team that they whipped the other night. 3 games in 4 days does take a toll, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I dont mind the lost.. They had back to back games with very little rest... Again some of the calls were really bad, especially the foul called on Odom. They will make the playoffs no matter what.. The Lakers beat the Suns 3 times already and Phx got one little win

On the other hand.. Phx is still in 9th place :roll: Lets see if they will make the playoffs

That was a horrible call against Odom, one thing I can agree with Bill Simmons is that the officiating in the NBA is pretty horrendous. It was bad both ways, but individually, Kobe seems to get a lot of no-calls to obvious fouls. I've seen so many pussified fouls go against Shaq just because of his size, so not really comparable in my opinion.

Yes of course, because the Lakers lose it's a "little game" and thus meaningless. :roll:

Obviously, I want the Suns to make the playoffs but we will have to see, it has been a rough season. Right now the team has key players injured and are still trying to assimilate some of these newer Suns to that quick run-and-gun style.

Anyway, good game. But the Suns really kill me in their inconsistency, it's like their defense will be decent, actually get rebounds, and shoot well. But then they completely fall apart in other areas (like free throws, which they are typically very good at.)

With the Lakers, I felt Kobe should of eased up, it seemed like he was trying way too hard to be the star and win the game. Give it to your teammates! They are good! (Excluding Walton)

I don't know what was more surprising, the Cavs giving up their lead in the second half or pulling off the one-point win in the end.

If they can pull of the win tomorrow in Miami I'll be happy. Winning three out of four road games in five nights is perfectly acceptable. Especially when all four are currently expected to make the playoffs.

I still don't know what happened in Houston though. The first game of a back-to-back is supposed to be the easier one right?

(edit)Also, getting Joe Smith back would be great.

I think I've figured out why the Cavs defense is so good, even when they go small... They're allowed to foul people all day in the paint. Seriously, LeBron and Varejao have 9 FT's each through 3 quarters and the Celtics have a total of 6. The C's aren't taking jump shots, they're driving to the basket and getting the ball to their bigs in the paint. Not getting the calls.

Yes, and before you start, it has been bad both ways. But the FT disparity when the C's have taken more shots in the paint speaks for itself.

Celtics win 105-94. Cavs had 38 free throws, Celtics had 12. Would've been a blowout if not for that.

i would definitely have to agree with you.... the NBA refs are getting really bad these days on there calls. Every game is being decided by the refs. its really sad

I almost turned off the TV after the horrible first half the Cavaliers put up in LA. They looked tired. Every jump-shot was short and on offensive plays were the it looked like they were jogging. Like that it didn't take LA long to shut them down and until the 4th they did.

But I kept watching at in the 4th coach Brown made some adjustments on both ends and the Cavs turned what should have been a sleepwalk game into an exciting win.

Did anybody watch the Lakers vs Rockets game tonight?

Ron Artest bad mouthing Kobe saying "You're not ready for me" lol :rofl:

Lakers win 102 -96 over the Rockets :applause:

I like how when I and a few others were bitching about the strange fouls being called in last years play offs Lakers fans were coming out of the woodwork to tell us that we were insane.

I have said it since day 1....I dont follow any 1 basketball team so I watch many different games and they all have 1 thing in common...horrid fucking calls.

Dynasty, Ron Artest is elite enough to talk trash to Kobe so its not that strange to hilarious. Its not like Ron is some chump of the bench talking just for the hell of it. Ron Artest is elite among a lot of player as far as total package goes.

That brings up something else. Although I fully admit Kobe is a ridicously in how good he his but he has reached a place that very very few people can every get to. And that is although he is amazing he is completely over rated.

I am not just trying to Kobe hate but damn...with the way people talk about him you would think this $$$$a was on a team by himself. Again, although amazing he had the greatest Big Man of this moderen era with Shaq and then stuggled like hell when he left. They struggled all the way up until they were gifted Gasol.

I am not trying to take anything away from Kobe but I believe people just give him too much credit for the success.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dynasty, Ron Artest is elite enough to talk trash to Kobe so its not that strange to hilarious. Its not like Ron is some chump of the bench talking just for the hell of it. Ron Artest is elite among a lot of player as far as total package goes.

That brings up something else. Although I fully admit Kobe is a ridicously in how good he his but he has reached a place that very very few people can every get to. And that is although he is amazing he is completely over rated.

I am not just trying to Kobe hate but damn...with the way people talk about him you would think this $$$$a was on a team by himself. Again, although amazing he had the greatest Big Man of this moderen era with Shaq and then stuggled like hell when he left. They struggled all the way up until they were gifted Gasol.

I am not trying to take anything away from Kobe but I believe people just give him too much credit for the success.[/quote]

I don't know if I would go quite that far, except in the sense that claiming any player is the end all, and that goes for Jordan, Lebron, or any other ultra-mega-superstar. Kobe deserves credit just for getting the Lakers to the playoffs the previous few years, just like Lebron deserves the credit for getting the Cavs to the playoffs in previous years(and the finals (in a weak eastern conference) where they were obviously outmatched). It's ridiculous to treat them as capable of walking on water, but they do get otherwise mediocre to crappy teams to be at least competitive.

Now that they have better complimentary players, you are correct in that broadcasters talk as if they wouldn't win without the superstars. But no matter the talk, individuals will never win a championship. The Cavs are a contender because they have a high-caliber PG, shooters on the wings, and a good team defense all surrounding Lebron. The Lakers are contenders because they have skilled interior players, relatively dependable shooters, and a consistent offensive plan surrounding Kobe.

[quote name='yukine']That was a horrible call against Odom, one thing I can agree with Bill Simmons is that the officiating in the NBA is pretty horrendous. It was bad both ways, but individually, Kobe seems to get a lot of no-calls to obvious fouls. I've seen so many pussified fouls go against Shaq just because of his size, so not really comparable in my opinion.

Yes of course, because the Lakers lose it's a "little game" and thus meaningless. :roll:

Obviously, I want the Suns to make the playoffs but we will have to see, it has been a rough season. Right now the team has key players injured and are still trying to assimilate some of these newer Suns to that quick run-and-gun style.

Anyway, good game. But the Suns really kill me in their inconsistency, it's like their defense will be decent, actually get rebounds, and shoot well. But then they completely fall apart in other areas (like free throws, which they are typically very good at.)

With the Lakers, I felt Kobe should of eased up, it seemed like he was trying way too hard to be the star and win the game. Give it to your teammates! They are good! (Excluding Walton)[/QUOTE]

Yukine, The Phx Suns vs Cavs game is on..

Wow :shock: Lebron James blocking Jason Richardson 360 dunk and turned into a three

[quote name='Soodmeg']
I am not just trying to Kobe hate but damn...[/quote]

Yes you are, you're a typical "Kobe hater". Shaq doesn't win any trophies in LA without Kobe and Kobe doesn't win anything without Shaq. They both were equally important to them winning 3 titles. Shaq also doesn't win in Miami without Wade. So, Shaq could very easily be without any rings if he never had Kobe or Wade as teammates.

Kobe is the reason why his team has had the best record in the WC the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than MJ....not yet anyways...but he is definitely the greatest player in the game today.

Lebron thinks he's the next MJ....not with that team he's not. Although Mo Williams has really shined this season

The Cavs need to move a few players and get Lebron some decent help with talent. Big Ben, Big Z, etc. Get a good center/power foward someone who can rebound and play D.

I'm not so sure of that. In Varejao and Wallace they have rebounding/defending big men to pair with the shooting big men of Ilgauskas and now Smith. It's true that some big men man-handle the Cavs down low, but it's not a problem that can't be fixed with timely doubles.

What puts Cleveland over the top is jumpshooting and that comes and goes. When shots are falling from outside all other shortcomings are forgotten.

[quote name='Setzer']Yes you are, you're a typical "Kobe hater". Shaq doesn't win any trophies in LA without Kobe and Kobe doesn't win anything without Shaq. They both were equally important to them winning 3 titles. Shaq also doesn't win in Miami without Wade. So, Shaq could very easily be without any rings if he never had Kobe or Wade as teammates.

Kobe is the reason why his team has had the best record in the WC the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than MJ....not yet anyways...but he is definitely the greatest player in the game today.[/quote]

And you are the typical star struck kid dazzled by superstars.

Was your precious kobe the reason why they went 34 and 48 and ended the season on a 6 game losing streak in 04 when the "equally" imporant Shaq was dealt away? Or how about the next season when they were a 8th seed and only 2 games above .500?

I guess Kobe wasnt one any of those Lakers teams....right? Right? Its only when they are winning that Kobe is soooo imporant to the team.

You are the exact thing I am talking about. Star struck and blind. Superstars are superstars but you have to be out of your fucking mind if you think "Kobe is the reason why his team has had the best record in the WC the past 2 seasons.":roll:

Because if that was true they would not have just barely got into the play offs each year until they were gifted another talented big man in Gasol. I mean give me a break here. Without shaq the Lackers were straight trash....then they get Gasol and they are amazing again and its all because of Kobe? Get your fucking facts straight.

Once again I am going on record...I am not taking anything away from Kobe but you have out of your mind if you think Kobe doesnt need a talented big man make the team successful.

Next time check your bias at the door.

Thoughts about the MJ/Kobe comparison.

Kobe is not on a level that MJ was. He is not even close. (although this still puts him well above most everyone else) Why? For the exact reasons I say that people credit Kobe a little too much.

MJ played 14 years (before retiring then coming back 2 random years) Kobe has been playing 12.

In the 14 years that MJ played he amassed 6 championships winning finals MVP every single time. In the 12 that Kobe has been playing he has 3 with ZERO finals MVP awards (all of those going to the apparently equally imporant Shaq? Last time I checked 0 for 3 was not equal to 3 and 0 but hell waht do I know I am just a Kobe hater)

Now think about this for a second how often a NBA team changes. MJ went through 14 years of players being drafted, traded, retiring, and overall just falling off. Now I am NEVER one to take away the imporance of good role players but MJ has proved many times that you could put him on a team with middle schoolers and he would find his way into the finals.

Kobe on the other hand...is the exact opposite. You take away 1 guy and the lackers fall flat on their faces for years until...they get another talented player....and surprise surprise he happens to play the same position as the guy they just lost.

*note Kobe could in theory win 2 championships in the next 2 years and start to prove this wrong but until he does.

The imporant thing is this. When trying to win a CHAMPIONSHIP there are still players that you would have to put above Kobe. Tim Duncan for example.

I just wonder what would have happened if the Lackers didnt win 3 in a row...if they were spaced out a little. I think then people wouldnt hype them up as much.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers co-owner Herb Simon passionately says he doesn't want to see the city without his franchise.

His wishes and the bottom line appear to be at odds.

Among the key issues for the struggling franchise is its operation of Conseco Fieldhouse. The building where the team plays its home games belongs to the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Board, and the Pacers have been paying its $15 million operating cost. Pat Early, the board's vice president, said the Pacers have made it clear that they no longer can pay that amount, in part because they could lose $30 million this season.

Early said the Pacers haven't threatened to leave, but the team would be forced to make some "very difficult decisions" if it remains saddled with the operating cost of the facility or if attendance continues to lag near the bottom of the league.

"It's possible they could move the team," Early said. "It's possible they could sell the team. It is also possible they could shut the team down. What's not possible is the Pacers losing the kind of money they're losing this year indefinitely."

Simon said he doesn't want to move the team, though he acknowledges that the financial losses have accelerated the past three years.

"I have no thought of leaving Indiana," he said. "Only a thought of preserving the Pacers and keeping them in Indiana. That's the only issue right here."

Simon, who has owned the team with his brother, Mel, since 1983, said he doesn't need help with the Pacers.

"We can handle the team," he said. "It's the operation of the facility that's causing us the problem. We're not asking anyone to pay for us. It's just the operating of the facility."

The Pacers and the Capital Improvement Board struck their current deal 10 years ago, and Early said they are in the early stages of renegotiating. He said the board can't pay the operating cost because it already faces a $43 million shortfall, and he's unsure who would.

"That's the big question," he said. "Really, we do not have the funding sources to allow us to be able to do this. We've contacted the state, the Legislature ... we're trying to figure out, are there solutions?"

At the heart of Simon's desire to rework the deal is the fact that he's 74 years old and wants to pass the team along to his heirs at some point.

"The whole reason to do this is to put the team in the financial spot where it can stay here forever," he said. "I'm getting on. I can't be here forever. I can't pass on a structure that doesn't make sense to other people."

Conseco Fieldhouse hosts many other events such as circuses and concerts, and Early said the city would suffer if no one picks up the operating cost, rendering the facility unusable.

"All the arts and entertainment and all that stuff is part of the overall environment we've been able to develop the past 40 years," Early said. "You start taking pieces of the puzzle out, and I don't know at what point it starts falling apart."

The Pacers have lost money nine of the past 10 years, were last in the league in attendance last season, and are only slightly better this season. Pacers fans will have a great deal of say in whether the team stays.

"Maybe the cost of keeping an NBA franchise in Indianapolis is more than the people of the city are willing to incur," Early said.

Ha. fuck the Pacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back